Orion Induction Heater

I see aftermarket -redressing- of the Orion. FutoStash is already working on a skin at least. But I agree, an artisan could really do something special with a case for the Orion innards.
is that futo.ca? Do they sell skins for the orion?

lifeisgoodnow,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I am not sure who ended up making the skin for DV. I suspect they will show up as a product before long somewhere.

TommyDee,

Majordude2626

Well got to give Dyna hella credit. Really surpassed my expectations on speedy return of v1. I have not used the v2 so can’t speak on performane, but after the CS and shipping mishaps I dealt with last year, this is far far removed. I feel like the essence of George is permeating the company and really elevating the CS and shipping wings of the company. I can be a grumbler but I like to give credit where due.

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
A quick update: the fastest shipping EVER!!!

I've submitted my deactivate and replace request on May 8th.
On May 14th my Orion V2 was in Milwaukee and on the 17th I had in my hands.
What's more is that I didn't have to pay for customs clearence, as they dealt with it.

Way to go, Dynavap!:tup:

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I submitted a replacement request using the website form after reading about it here. I included a photo of my deactivated v1 as instructed. I eventually received confirmation emails but never the tracking information. The good news is it arrived and not only was a v2, but came with everything including another case and storage container, plus a new 2020m and vinyl skin decals!

My v2 works almost the same as the v1, but with a faster blinking led and slightly longer heat up time. I have to go past the click a little further on the first cycle too. Otherwise I'm very pleased. My skin looks pretty cool too.

Photonic,
Reactions: Jakuta

swieder711

As the OP of this thread, it saddens me to report that I have returned my Orion V2.0 to Dynavap for a refund. Here are the reason that I told Dynavap on why I am not happy with the Orion V2.0

1. Poor battery life

2. Unreliable auto-on. Sometime I get no heat flashing LED until I switch Dynavaps

3. Poor heating experience

I have the Pipes HotShot and Flux Heater Flite (#5) and prefer the way they heat my Dynavaps compared to the Orion V2.0. I will miss the light weight and USB-c charging of the Orion.

Last edited:

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I agree v1 > v2 performance wise. Mine should work well enough with my Omni to hold me over until one of these next gen design IH shows up (e.g. MAD).

Last edited:
The more I work with this V2 the more I realize this is a really different device I guess I am for many of the new features. I like the lights meaning when they come on they really are designed to save the battery which I think is good. I like the fact that it doesn't heat so aggressively makes it a little easier to control. I think the blinks are faster and I like that. It is more sensitive to the placement of the vapcap in the device and that's not great but I've only had one issue where I had to take it out and put it back in before it worked. When you turn it on I don't know what the timer is the time out for turning the thing off perhaps it's infinity I do not like this feature. However I can sure see how that feature would be desired by some.

simba

@weedanwine
I just bought an Orion V2, never had the first one, and also own an Apollo2. I'm really unhappy with the battery performance on the Orion and the heating isn't as good as the Apollo. I can heat to the first click and get satisfying vapour using the Apollo but not so much on the Orion. Heating past the click helps a bit but still doesn't seem to heat as well, and often going to the second click just makes it get a slight charry taste.

I'm going to see if I can return 🤷🏽‍♂️ kinda disappointed given the price of the device. I'm thinking of getting the Portabake, I know it is bigger n heavier but I can live with that if it heats better and has a decent battery life.

One thing is the case it comes with is quite nice, but it's annoying when that's the best feature of something.

simba,
Reactions: stark1

stark1

Lonesome Planet
@simba , from field reports, the Orion 2 seems to be tuned down, both to conserve
Battery, and to be less agressive.

If you are considering a different mag heater, the Hotshot by @Pipes is small, and has the
Experience and expertise of a respected FC guru, and maker.

His present supply of Hotshots are now limited to the silver version as his enclosure supplier
Can no longer supply the cases....

If you contact him soon, he will be making Hotshots with a different case, slightly bigger.

—Canadians seem to be resilient/resourceful.

BTW, my Hotshot has me chugging along, happy as a bee in a field of clover. :buzz: :spliff: ;):sherlock:

Last edited:

simba

@weedanwine
@simba , from field reports, the Orion 2 seems to be tuned down, both to conserve
Battery, and to be less agressive.

If you are considering a different mag heater, the Hotshot by @Pipes is small, and has the
Experience and expertise of a respected FC guru, and maker.

His present supply of Hotshots are now limited to the silver version as his enclosure supplier
Can no longer supply the cases....

If you contact him soon, he will be making Hotshots with a different case, slightly bigger.

—Canadians seem to be resilient/resourceful.

BTW, my Hotshot has me chugging along, happy as a bee in a field of clover. :buzz: :spliff: ;):sherlock:

If it was made less aggressive to conserve battery then it seems like a double fail😂

The Hotshot looks good, but the Portabake can be ordered instantly and is UK-based where I am, so does save on any import fees, so I am swaying that way. Still waiting to hear if I can return my Orion or whether I need to sell it on.

simba,
Reactions: Photonic

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
The v2 is less aggressive and has worse battery life in my experience. It seems like the result of a bandaid type fix to a design issue. i.e., the change was more avoidance of the issue than actually fixing it...

simba

@weedanwine
So I emailed Urbanistic who I bought the Orion from, they contacted Dynavap who told me to watch a video to solve my query, conveniently ignoring the fact I was complaining and had zero queries 🤣

But I watched the video

It basically says they made the battery smaller to make the battery longevity better. Let's ignore that they could've made the battery removable to solve that issue, why didn't they say this on release? I expected similar battery life to V1 as I'm sure most other people did. Don't hide that information in a random video that I'm never going to watch.

The video also says the heating is less aggressive to be better for Ti caps but "it still works great for SS tips" which I call bullshit on. The joke is that I tried my Ti vapcap in there, it was a bit better on the first click but still got a slight char on the second click so clearly the less aggressive heating hasn't solved that issue.

Gotta give props to Urbanistic who have agreed to take the return and said they'll deal with Dynvap. That's the type of service that makes me shop there again.

swieder711

As the OP of this thread, it saddens me to report that I have returned my Orion V2.0 to Dynavap for a refund. Here are the reason that I told Dynavap on why I am not happy with the Orion V2.0

1. Poor battery life

2. Unreliable auto-on. Sometime I get no heat flashing LED until I switch Dynavaps

3. Poor heating experience

I have the Pipes HotShot and Flux Heater Flite (#5) and prefer the way they heat my Dynavaps compared to the Orion V2.0. I will miss the light weight and USB-c charging of the Orion.
I received my refund check from Dynatec less the shipping expense.

Now I use the HotShot most of the time which has a nice heating experience and decent battery life. If the HotShot had a way to see the battery level that would be ideal.

swieder711,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
This looks like the current version - eBay link identical with a new label on the front;

The one I used was this one - eBay link but they are out of stock in 3S.

It turns on when the button is depressed. It lingers for a moment and turns itself off. This makes it a perfect circuit for direct connections to the battery. And as it happens, HotShot already has a connector to connect to ;]

I took the HotShot apart and made everything fit as close to intent as possible. When the power connector is carefully placed between the battery and the module, there is nearly a 1/4" of space between the battery and the hatch cover. Some craftsmanship could have the meter pasted to the hatch cover as a novel variant.

I just thought I'd mention it here because that is an option if you really needed the battery meter available at all times. I've learned to see how far a DD-VC might cycle through the color wheel to know it is time to charge. If it hits the pink color light before the click, it is time to charge.

natural farmer

PXL-20210630-065842305.jpg

Loving my new Orion. Much better heating than v1, power button with less travel (which feels better), tighter USB connection, great stickers and great charging setting.
It is a great match to my old Omnivap, less great with my 19M which needs more blinks after the click for a good hit. Like v1, with my Omni it works better with small loads, ABV is very even and the hits are very comfortable.
As I have grown quite sensitive to the hot vapor, almost all of the time I am using the Omni hooked on a Lotus pipe, so using an IH is much more practical than using a torch and then inserting to the pipe. Hits are still not at torch level but still very good. Anyway, torch hits are too heavy for my throat these days, especially single torch ones and Orion has hit the golden spot for me, not too strong, not too light. Just great for all day use without stressing the throat so much.
Good job Dynavap. And thanks for the prompt replacement. They even shipped the new one to me before I ship the old one back. Not a day without one. 🤘

natural farmer

:spliff:Interesting combo, @natural farmer . Something old, something new
Under the summer sun, in Grecian isles.

Is the warranty extended on the replacement, or does the original warranty
Apply? I have yet to request my replacement.

Are you in communication with @stardustsailor, we have missed his magic. :cheers:
I like the way you put it, hehe!

Have no idea about the warranty, need to ask that.
And sadly I didn't have a chance to get one of his artworks although we live one hour away from each other. Always too content with that old Omni to justify the expense. I hope he does well.

natural farmer,
Reactions: stark1

stark1

Lonesome Planet
:leaf:He seemed to have fabricated a few knurled pieces before he shifted his commitments, as a new DAD
(I was fortunate enuf to have landed one) :bowdown:

PS I like your new avatar, very natural

Last edited:
Top Bottom