• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Oldest vaporizers

C No Ego

I seen on ICMag forum a post about a 180 year old Australian wooden J shaped vaporizer... it was shaped like a big bowl and the herb was put down in the J bend... the top of the bowl had a screen which hot coal was placed... you then draw air through those hot coals that then gets drawn through the herb in the bend and you get vapors! 180 years old is an old one!

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Interesting, almost similar types are mentioned in RC Clarke's Hashish book - but he says they originated in Jamaica for ritual purposes, in India are also some types 'hot coal pipes'...
There are also other simple methods that have been around for who knows how long, eg hot knives - put a bit of hash on a knife tip, heat another knife tip to the right temp and place it on top

lazylathe

Almost there...
FE%201008%202.jpg

pneuma.jpg

Oldest Logvape :))
And probably the first flame powered vaporizer, LoVerde,sadly photos are no longer around web,i remember i had the chance to get one second hand,but decide it is not my cup of coffee,anyway.. :)) looks cool.
97272f3d4215aea7081072c42452db20.jpg

Found this online but all in Spanish...

http://vaporizando.com/foro.php?topic=1473.0

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Here is what I started out with back around 1994 or 1995. It was basically a soldering iron with the tip removed and replaced with a brass dish. A plastic housing with a whip tube and glass dome to trap all that sweet vapor. The herb had to be moistened first with a little bit of water, but once it was moist enough it was beautiful. Many a people got ripped off this thing, and it made the most beautiful "hash oil" inside of the globe, little did we know that was just decarbed vapor reclaim but it tasted so good! Virtually nobody had oil at the time!

table-VP001-1.jpg

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
The first cannabis/tobacco vaporizing device ,made it's appearance the year 1560 ce .

Operation[edit]

Hookah cross-section view

A small hookah
The jar at the bottom of the hookah is filled with water sufficient to submerge a few centimeters of the body tube, which is sealed tightly to it. Deeper water will only increase the inhalation force needed to use it. Tobacco or tobacco-free molasses are placed inside the bowl at the top of the hookah. Often the bowl is covered with perforated tin foil or a metal screen and coal placed on top. The foil or screen separates the coal and the tobacco, which minimizes inhalation of coal ash with the smoke and reduces the temperature the tobacco is exposed to, in order to prevent burning the tobacco directly.[citation needed]

When one inhales through the hose, air is pulled through the charcoal and into the bowl holding the tobacco. The hot air, heated by the charcoal vaporizes the tobacco without burning it.[70][verification needed] The vapor is passed down through the body tube that extends into the water in the jar. It bubbles up through the water, losing heat, and fills the top part of the jar, to which the hose is attached. When a smoker inhales from the hose, smoke passes into the lungs, and the change in pressure in the jar pulls more air through the charcoal, continuing the process.

If the hookah has been lit and smoked but has not been inhaled for an extended period, the smoke inside the water jar may be regarded as "stale" and undesirable. Stale smoke may be exhausted through the purge valve, if present. This one-way valve is opened by the positive pressure created from gently blowing into the hose. It will not function on a multiple-hose hookah unless all other hoses are plugged. Sometimes one-way valves are put in the hose sockets to avoid the need to manually plug hoses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

Mistaken by many ,that is a smoking device.
Well if it's well "prepared" and used ,it's not.
It actually vaporizes it's load.
Still ,the heat source used (coal) releases toxic fumes and particles .
Far from ideal.

Cheers.
:2c:

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The first cannabis/tobacco vaporizing device ,made it's appearance the year 1560 ce .

Operation[edit]

A small hookah
The jar at the bottom of the hookah is filled with water sufficient to submerge a few centimeters of the body tube, which is sealed tightly to it. Deeper water will only increase the inhalation force needed to use it. Tobacco or tobacco-free molasses are placed inside the bowl at the top of the hookah. Often the bowl is covered with perforated tin foil or a metal screen and coal placed on top. The foil or screen separates the coal and the tobacco, which minimizes inhalation of coal ash with the smoke and reduces the temperature the tobacco is exposed to, in order to prevent burning the tobacco directly.[citation needed]

When one inhales through the hose, air is pulled through the charcoal and into the bowl holding the tobacco. The hot air, heated by the charcoal vaporizes the tobacco without burning it.[70][verification needed] The vapor is passed down through the body tube that extends into the water in the jar. It bubbles up through the water, losing heat, and fills the top part of the jar, to which the hose is attached. When a smoker inhales from the hose, smoke passes into the lungs, and the change in pressure in the jar pulls more air through the charcoal, continuing the process.

If the hookah has been lit and smoked but has not been inhaled for an extended period, the smoke inside the water jar may be regarded as "stale" and undesirable. Stale smoke may be exhausted through the purge valve, if present. This one-way valve is opened by the positive pressure created from gently blowing into the hose. It will not function on a multiple-hose hookah unless all other hoses are plugged. Sometimes one-way valves are put in the hose sockets to avoid the need to manually plug hoses.

Far from ideal.

Cheers.

I posted about this in another thread recently, but some cannabis experts describe primitively vaporizing off of hot rocks, likely even earlier than the hookah!

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I posted about this in another thread recently, but some cannabis experts describe primitively vaporizing off of hot rocks, likely even earlier than the hookah!

Here'e the part in the video I mentioned in that other thread (start at 8min 35sec for the part I'm talking about)

5th century BC these dudes were hotboxing caves like absolute beasts

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker

Yes ,that is correct actually !

(...)Cannabis was an integral part of the Scythian cult of the dead, wherein homage was paid to the memory of their departed leaders. After the death and burial of their king, the Scythians would purify themselves by setting up small tepee-like structures which they would enter to inhale the fumes of hemp seeds (and the resinous flower calyxes surrounding the seeds) thrown onto red-hot stones.

In a famous passage written in about 450 B.C., Herodotus describes these funeral rites as follows:

...when, therefore, the Scythians have taken some seed of this hemp, they creep under the cloths and put the seeds on the red hot stones; but this being put on smokes, and produces such a steam, that no Grecian vapour-bath would surpass it. The Scythians, transported by the vapour, shout aloud.

It is most likely the seeds described by Herodotus were seeded buds, and that the charred seeds found by archeologists are what was left over from the burnt buds.
(...)

http://www.herbmuseum.ca/content/scythians-cannabis

lazylathe

Almost there...
FE%201008%202.jpg

pneuma.jpg

Oldest Logvape :))
And probably the first flame powered vaporizer, LoVerde,sadly photos are no longer around web,i remember i had the chance to get one second hand,but decide it is not my cup of coffee,anyway.. :)) looks cool.
97272f3d4215aea7081072c42452db20.jpg

Do you have any details about the vape in the 1st pic? The one with the blue LED?
Seems to be a brass core which is good but a copper sleeve, hope that it never got too hot.
I would love to know what powered it!

It almost looks as if the brass end was spun round on a lathe, very cool!

stressed

i think it was 1998 or 99 when i bought my first tabletop vape.

it came with a bunch of tiny test tubes. you'd stick the test tube (full of weed) into a hole of the heating unit where it would heat up. you'd put a "straw" into the top of the test tube and gently inhale so as to not inhale the weed.

i tried to find out whatever happened to that guy but i can't even remember the name of the vape.

i didn't like it at that time as most people that i read were saying that if you saw vapor, you were vaping too hot. that it should be just barely visible.

DUH!

took 3 more table tops before i tried a vape balloon device. been in love ever since. :)

come to think of it, there was a lot of honey oil around the phoenix area in the 70s. we used to put the oil into a glass pipe, and heat the bottom. i'm assuming this would pass for vaporizing? this was waaaaay before the "crack pipe" era.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Do you have any details about the vape in the 1st pic? The one with the blue LED?
Seems to be a brass core which is good but a copper sleeve, hope that it never got too hot.
I would love to know what powered it!

It almost looks as if the brass end was spun round on a lathe, very cool!
Of course it is first generation Ettera . :) There a thread called obscure and obsolete vapes,many of those can be found there :).
Actually it is the Ettera's granny
f1l.gif
d01.jpg
e1l.gif

AJS

Calm Consistency
With so many VAS people here :wave:- anyone got a living unit?
Shurely not the best construction and materials, but it seems to be one of the rarest, early manufactured vapes. There are no pics on the web besides the old add and no manufacturer name.
It's like a ghost, maybe all the plastic melted away:whoa:?

tilt-vaporizer.jpg
I tried calling .... it's now a roadside assistance hotline.
or maybe .... just maybe .... that's what they want you to think :tinfoil::whoa:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I am sure this is a very, very, old vape idea.

28043330df026530327ec98c645adafa.jpg

:science:

I had one of those!

:myday:

That looks exactly like my first dry-herb vape. It was my proof-of-concept that convinced me to spend money on a real vaporizer.

Use it right and you gan get equal efficiency to anything else. It's a lot of f***ing work, but...ya know

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
I bought a vriptech adapt-abowl for use with a heatgun around '02. I had to post the money all the way across the pond and wait an age for it.

Everyone thought i was fucking crazy ripping bongs with a paint-stripper !!!!

Baron23

With so many VAS people here :wave:- anyone got a living unit?
Shurely not the best construction and materials, but it seems to be one of the rarest, early manufactured vapes. There are no pics on the web besides the old add and no manufacturer name.
It's like a ghost, maybe all the plastic melted away:whoa:?

tilt-vaporizer.jpg
Bought something very similar in either 69' - '71 time frame but the cover was dome shaped, the heating surface was silica type material (like the windows in old fuses, yeah) over a metal coil heating element and it definitely burnt. Actually, what I had was a piece of junk but I certain can't extend that to the Tilt as I have never seen one of those in the wild.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
20664682_1961759070504763_7040252276351808425_n.jpg

Operation[edit]

A small hookah

Far from ideal.

Cheers.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ital-chalice-vaporizer-bubbler.15374/page-2#post-716140

Top Bottom