OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

maremaresing

You are gonna love it. I'm still crazy about mine, and I never thought I would feel that way about a grinder. It's just such a reliable and easy to use workhorse. Haven't had to clean mine yet and it hasn't gotten gunked up at all. I figure I can plop the middle plate in iso when it needs it, because the top plate with the bearing doesn't seem to hold any material.

I do still bring it to my desk for stress relief during hard meetings. Great to spin and fidget with, and the machining is a work of art.

Mickk

You are gonna love it. I'm still crazy about mine, and I never thought I would feel that way about a grinder. It's just such a reliable and easy to use workhorse. Haven't had to clean mine yet and it hasn't gotten gunked up at all. I figure I can plop the middle plate in iso when it needs it, because the top plate with the bearing doesn't seem to hold any material.

I do still bring it to my desk for stress relief during hard meetings. Great to spin and fidget with, and the machining is a work of art.
I ordered the tool with it, to unseat/reseat the bearings. So in case I need to clean it, I take out the bearing and overnight it in ISO. I'm a dabber, so I'm used to cleaning things thoroughly with iso

And yes, the fidget factor of it definitely plays a big role ;-)

Knewt

I have iso soaked my Aroma 3 with the bearing still in. I first put the top in a flat container with the teeth down, then carefully add iso, stopping before the iso reaches the bearing. Rinse with clean iso (using same procedure), lightly dry with heat gun, then reassembly and use it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I do feel like I need to clean my actual bearing though, probably from trying upside down grinding a couple times when I first got it, there is a little build up there, although I would be afraid to try with any moisture to clean the bearing at all even carefully...

maremaresing

I'd be shocked if anything got in there with the bearing seal still on. I bomb through puddles, grass clippings, sandy trails, grass, mud, rainstorms, etc, and the bearings shrug it off. Can't imagine some ground herb could ruin things.

To clean you'll want to pop the covers of the bearing off and soak/shake it in ISO. Then, after drying, repack bearing grease in there. Or some sort of skate grease if you have it.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

I'd be shocked if anything got in there with the bearing seal still on. I bomb through puddles, grass clippings, sandy trails, grass, mud, rainstorms, etc, and the bearings shrug it off. Can't imagine some ground herb could ruin things.

To clean you'll want to pop the covers of the bearing off and soak/shake it in ISO. Then, after drying, repack bearing grease in there. Or some sort of skate grease if you have it.

Oh okay yeah I would presume inside the bearing is fine, still spins great! I have zero interest in opening up the bearing itself, or doing anything at all with any sort of grease personally... Thanks! just going to leave it as is though since it's not really a problem :nod:

AndyO

I do feel like I need to clean my actual bearing though, probably from trying upside down grinding a couple times when I first got it, there is a little build up there, although I would be afraid to try with any moisture to clean the bearing at all even carefully...

I don't use mine upside down at all, but recently had some kind of "burr" in the bearing affecting the spinning. I took the bearing out and it was a big piece of weed in there. I think the bearing puller is probably an essential add-on.

I hope the XL version comes out soon, I'm getting an itchy trigger finger that I'm going to end up using on the titanium version if the XL isn't out soon.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If you mean where the bearing is visible on the under, inner side of the top? yeah buildup isn't good in there, that just makes the top sit farther away from the plate. I've used a wooden pick with alcohol swab, so nothing really liquid or dripping.

From when I was more liberal with alcohol, I have probably "cleaned" out some of the bearing lubricant, now if I spin it squeaks like a rusty tricycle.
But function as a grinder is still great.

Shit Snacks

If you mean where the bearing is visible on the under, inner side of the top? yeah buildup isn't good in there, that just makes the top sit farther away from the plate. I've used a wooden pick with alcohol swab, so nothing really liquid or dripping.

That is indeed what I mean, but it doesn't seem to make my top sit farther away? Everything's still seems to be working normally as it did from the get-go, so my thinking was that it must be largely superficial??

From when I was more liberal with alcohol, I have probably "cleaned" out some of the bearing lubricant, now if I spin it squeaks like a rusty tricycle.
But function as a grinder is still great.

Yeah I don't really want to mess with it haha while it is still working for me, have not cleaned anything yet at all, we shall see how it goes!

Thanks for the additional reports!!

Shit Snacks,

oldfool

I have zero interest in opening up the bearing itself
Simple, it takes 3 seconds to pop off the
outside seal and it easily pops right back on.

Just did mine this week, used an iso soaked q-tip
and after dry added a drop of vegetable oil on each ball.

Spins like it did when new.

TIPS FOR REMOVING SHIELDS & SEALS

About 2/3rds down the page, the 3rd tip for REMOVING SEALS.

Mr.Grumpy

Any recommendations on which bearing to get if I want the longest possible spin time?

(gotta go all in on the fidget toy part ;-))

Completely understand. :lol:

I use one of these and got just over 4 minutes last time I bothered to time it. I soak it in ISO to get rid of any lingering lubricants first, and now I just soak the whole lid in ISO as needed. Pretty decent tolerances too. Just a tiny bit more slop than the one it came with.

Talcool1

Question for the group regarding the magnet.

Is the user experience better with the magnet or without? I saw a post somewhere indicating that they has wished they went with no magnet as the unit has enough weight to make it unnecessary and the pull was a bit too hard. Just placing my order and wanted to decide on which version

Thanks!

Shit Snacks

Question for the group regarding the magnet.

Is the user experience better with the magnet or without? I saw a post somewhere indicating that they has wished they went with no magnet as the unit has enough weight to make it unnecessary and the pull was a bit too hard. Just placing my order and wanted to decide on which version

Thanks!

This was asked a lot earlier on, basically that was because of the design at the time, there were changes made and there's not much reason to choose without magnet unless you feel like you are particularly weak-handed perhaps and definitely want the lid to be loose, have no plans to ever have it upside down or take it out etc anywhere

Top Bottom