Nova by Doug's Woodery

coolbreeze

I'm sad I can basically never use my nova because it makes my throat close up and I'm hoarse/gravely for a day. I don't think it's the nova but maybe all direct inhale butane vapes. Or maybe the terps of .4g of dry herb at once? Or the hot air?

I never have any problems with any other vape I have, including ones that hit hot or hard like the dyna or EVO. Just me?

I'm using really good butane, and have tried all sorts of torches.
What type of wood? I have a rosewood brick I can't use because I'm sensitive to the wood, sounds like what happens to you. Other bricks don't bother me at all.

coolbreeze

Doug's has more $100 top-shelf units posted for sale. Beautiful work:

IMG-7927_540x.heic

bestvaping

and after a brief acclimation phase it has replaced my Maxx as my 'go-to'!
Yeah, I think the NOVA was literally designed for everyday vape, I love the fact that I can keep an eye on the herb chamber (with just one hand) and stir if the need arises, and the fact that you can get a whole range of mouthpieces is really great (Doug's can even tailor-make a special order for you, just ask). I personally use it without the carb screw because I find it offers more control. The 6" bent augmented mouthpiece is really very pleasant (perfect for the home). This brick is so easy to use on a daily basis, fast and precise (and very easy to clean) :clap:

As I already specified in a previous message, I also add two extra screens under the mouthpiece to retain any excess weed that may have managed to sneak in (I like to fill large bowls when necessary and stir, which usually lets through a few fine grass particles, hence the addition of one or two extra screens).

I have a rosewood brick I can't use because I'm sensitive to the wood, sounds like what happens to you. Other bricks don't bother me at all.
I have exactly the same problem with my SBL Junior Padauk (it seems to be less of a problem when I use it through water). Which is why I usually choose Maple wood bricks (regarding my sensitivity to wood, Doug's recommended Maple or Cherry). With these two types of wood, I don't have any problems, but everyone has their own sensitivities that you have to find out about.

You've really made a good bargain, it's a really appreciable deal (considering the quality of manufacture). You've all been very lucky, and at this price, you should take advantage of it (if I had known I would have waited before ordering my mouthpieces, i'm on the other continent :\).

Love and Happiness!

RedZep

Yeah, I think the NOVA was literally designed for everyday vape, I love the fact that I can keep an eye on the herb chamber (with just one hand) and stir if the need arises, and the fact that you can get a whole range of mouthpieces is really great (Doug's can even tailor-make a special order for you, just ask). I personally use it without the carb screw because I find it offers more control. The 6" bent augmented mouthpiece is really very pleasant (perfect for the home). This brick is so easy to use on a daily basis, fast and precise (and very easy to clean) :clap:

As I already specified in a previous message, I also add two extra screens under the mouthpiece to retain any excess weed that may have managed to sneak in (I like to fill large bowls when necessary and stir, which usually lets through a few fine grass particles, hence the addition of one or two extra screens).

I have exactly the same problem with my SBL Junior Padauk (it seems to be less of a problem when I use it through water). Which is why I usually choose Maple wood bricks (regarding my sensitivity to wood, Doug's recommended Maple or Cherry). With these two types of wood, I don't have any problems, but everyone has their own sensitivities that you have to find out about.

You've really made a good bargain, it's a really appreciable deal (considering the quality of manufacture). You've all been very lucky, and at this price, you should take advantage of it (if I had known I would have waited before ordering my mouthpieces, i'm on the other continent :\).

Love and Happiness!

Have you tried the 9inch bent MP? I'm thinking of picking one up. Maybe 6inch is sweet spot between cooling and airflow.

RedZep,

bestvaping

Have you tried the 9inch bent MP?
Yes I have tried, with the 9" or 12" you could take longer inhalations and finish a bowl in just a few strokes (more easily than with standard or 6" MP), obviously the cooling is much better (and I'd say that the draw is simplified, I've noticed that the longer it takes, the easier it is), but I find these less practical to use because of their length (too much risk of breakage, of course, it depends on the environment you live in). As you say, I think the 6" is the best compromise. In any case I don't regret having all three at home :brow:

coolbreeze

IMG-7927_540x.heic
Mine has arrived and I love it already. I tried it first a big Eagle fanned across the intake and got a lot of control and a nice, very even roast. Took a few more hits fanning the triple-burner torch a la Trey and got huge, cool clouds with a tiny bit of spotting. The build quality is top notch, the woods (and glass) gorgeous, and the function excellent.
IMG-6726.jpg

enrarit

I personally use it without the carb screw because I find it offers more control.

Same same, first thing I did was pop the grub screw out.

One thing I find with the Nova is the draw is incredibly 'open' when compared to my Maxx and even Micro (with my finger completely covering the carb hole of course), differences in tamping pressures do not seem to affect the draw in any manner at all...how is your draw compared to others?

Razhumikin

One thing I find with the Nova is the draw is incredibly 'open' when compared to my Maxx and even Micro (with my finger completely covering the carb hole of course), differences in tamping pressures do not seem to affect the draw in any manner at all...how is your draw compared to others?
I had the same experience ans its why I absolutely love the Nova but am not really a big fan of most of the other brick style vapes Ive tried.

bestvaping

Yes, it's true, I feel the same way about my other bricks. I think it's due to the fact that the NOVA flame intake (and the opening diameter of the flame intake wood) is much wider than that of other bricks. For example, at SBL with the bent flame intake, it's much more restricted, but with the straight flame intake, it's already more open (but the diameter of the wood opening remains tighter than on the NOVA, which has a wider opening, and the start of the flame intake at SBL and smaller too). For me, this is the only viable explanation? The larger diameter of the NOVA herb chamber may also have something to do with it? You should also know that the NOVA is normally recommended for a triple or quad torch lighter. What type of torch lighter do you use?

RedZep

Yes, it's true, I feel the same way about my other bricks. I think it's due to the fact that the NOVA flame intake (and the opening diameter of the flame intake wood) is much wider than that of other bricks. For example, at SBL with the bent flame intake, it's much more restricted, but with the straight flame intake, it's already more open (but the diameter of the wood opening remains tighter than on the NOVA, which has a wider opening, and the start of the flame intake at SBL and smaller too). For me, this is the only viable explanation? The larger diameter of the NOVA herb chamber may also have something to do with it? You should also know that the NOVA is normally recommended for a triple or quad torch lighter. What type of torch lighter do you use?
I've tried with triple flame, but I get significantly better results with single flame (1inch, mid sized torch) aimed down the intake, angled downwards. I remove carb plug and cover with finger, as this works perfectly with single flame.

bestvaping

Nova is my favourite of the brick vapes. I like SB Runt for micro hits also. I've come to realize I like to kill the bowl in a single hit with these vapes, so I pack accordingly.
That's why I added the NOVA glass to my Runt, because I find it very similar to the NOVA in this way (that's why I think it's the flame intake that's mainly to blame).

PS: but my Runt with its mini bubbler is still my favourite :love:

Last edited:

bestvaping

I've tried with triple flame, but I get significantly better results with single flame (1inch, mid sized torch) aimed down the intake, angled downwards. I remove carb plug and cover with finger, as this works perfectly with single flame.
Same, It works really well and is very fast, but I find that it uses too much gas and makes too much noise 🤣 my PB-207 (prince pocket) is my daily driver ..

RedZep

hmmm. Purpleheart and spalted maple, and cherry? Gorgeous!
Close, Bloodwood not Purpleheart. Thanks, I love them both. I use the Cherrywood Nova and Roadie for outdoors use. Hiking/camping etc. The other one I use indoors. This way I always have one clean and ready to go if I'm heading out somewhere.

I would heavily recommend the roadie to people. The craftsmanship is top notch, and it's a pleasure to open/close. Airtight and smell proof also. The one in the pics is the smallest one. I can't recall the size. I think it's 2inches. Holds around 3.5g of ground material.

Ford Wenty

I have a born on date of 420 69, it suits me! :)
i just picked up #007 ... my first vape by doug's woodery ... i have a sticky brick junior ... it will be interesting to see how the nova compares to the sbj .
dougs-woodery-nova.jpg
Nice! I wanted that one, but ya beat me to it. I ordered #5 earlier today and Doug's already shipped it out and USPS has the item. Damn, that's some great service! Can't wait to add it to the torch powered collection. :D

warren0728

Nice! I wanted that one, but ya beat me to it. I ordered #5 earlier today and Doug's already shipped it out and USPS has the item. Damn, that's some great service! Can't wait to add it to the torch powered collection. :D
#5, #6 and #7 were my top 3 ...

i ordered mine this morning and it's at the post office too ... estimated delivery on saturday!

Ford Wenty

I have a born on date of 420 69, it suits me! :)
#5 is Alive! If you get that reference you're vintage like me. Lol. Seriously, Doug's Woodery did an amazing job getting this in my hands just two days after I ordered it. Wow!

It's friggin' beautiful and I love the wider more open draw vs. my Sticky Brick Jr. Getting great hits from the start, zero combustion. Yay, great product Trey!!!

warren0728

#5 is Alive! If you get that reference you're vintage like me. Lol. Seriously, Doug's Woodery did an amazing job getting this in my hands just two days after I ordered it. Wow!

It's friggin' beautiful and I love the wider more open draw vs. my Sticky Brick Jr. Getting great hits from the start, zero combustion. Yay, great product Trey!!!

007 should be here tomorrow according to tracking!

warren0728

so i got top shelf #007 and am impressed with the craftsmanship ... it's absolutely beautiful! ...

i only have single torch lighters and using the sweeping technique i really didn't get very good hits ... i have a sticky brick jr. so i'm familiar with the basic concepts ...

what type of lighters are you guys using ... i'm thinking i might need to try a triple-flame?

haven't taken any pics of it yet but will soon!

RedZep

so i got top shelf #007 and am impressed with the craftsmanship ... it's absolutely beautiful! ...

i only have single torch lighters and using the sweeping technique i really didn't get very good hits ... i have a sticky brick jr. so i'm familiar with the basic concepts ...

what type of lighters are you guys using ... i'm thinking i might need to try a triple-flame?

haven't taken any pics of it yet but will soon!
I only use single flame. Remove carb screw. Set torch flame to a visible inch. Aim the inner flame so it's just in the entrance of the intake. Cover the carb wit your finger. Aim the flame angled downwards.

Breathe low/slow until you feel the vapour then speed up your draw.

Start with half filling the bowl, after light tamp. Less likely to scorch, and will still be plenty of material to give a huge kick.

Top Bottom