Nova by Doug's Woodery

dapatcho

I don't have a Nova so I'm not sure how similar it is to my Cosmo, but the Cosmo is quite unlike the rest of my torch vapes in that you can only fan the flame across the intake from the side or you will combust, it is that stark. This was an issue initially but I read up a bit and the suggested fanning technique really helped.

Couple things may help: try to get handy with it before you try it through water. The added restriction and bubbling can play havoc with you as you try to learn the proper technique for your device. Once you're comfortable generally, adapting to the waterpipe will be easier.

As far as packing is concerned, too little herbs will not work at all, but all you should need is a layer that covers the screen, maybe one mm deep if that. Even out the top of it by tamping/twisting very lightly. If it's too much for you, you can always rejoin it in progress with no harm or cut it with cbd hemp.

As far as the scratchiness is concerned, it could be several things: new wooden vapes often require seasoning with reclaim oils after which harshness is seriously reduced; you may have a slight allergy or sensitivity to that wood; the dry heat of the vapor may be irritating; and because of the incredible efficiency of bricks, you may sometimes feel terp burn from the too-successful delivery of the richness of your particular flower. Water should help with most of these issues.
Nova's intake looks a decent bit longer than the Cosmo so I am probably at less risk of combustion. I am using a Vapman Jet Lighter for reference. I guess it's just practice for now and see how it goes? It doesn't feel bad much at all during my session, I do cough some, I just feel "sore" after the sessions over and the next day too. It may also just be winter setting in and my place being dry.

bestvaping

What's it all about? do you have some picture to share with us? what kind of wood are we talking about? what is the configuration?

Is this your first brick-type vaporizer? Personally, I've noticed that if you stir and tamp your bowl often during a session, small herb particles can pass through the screen. That's why I add an extra screen under the mouthpiece glass on all my brick-type vaporizers (because I like to stir and tamp my bowl also smell the goodness of roasted weed). The secondary screen has become primordial for me and if you try, you'll see that small herb particles accumulate quite often in fact (this is especially true if you stir frequently and chop your herb finely enough). Of all my bricks, this is more noticeable on the NOVA because it has a larger bowl diameter than my other bricks (but this problem is quickly solved by adding a second screen). Maybe that's your problem?

To be precise, the flame must never enter the flame intake in its entirety, but must absolutely remain outside (on the rim or a little further away, depending on the power of the torch). You'll also need a good torch lighter (preferably electronic, as mechanical lighters can release particles in the air path caused by the stone). You'll also need to obtain quality butane (i.e. with as few impurities as possible, take the one with the most refining).

Personally, I don't encounter any particular problems with this type of vaporizer, for example, compared to combustion over several years, my health is much better. Coolbreeze sums up the situation very well, perhaps you have an alergy with the essence of the wood or wax?

I often notice users coming from the world of electronic vaporizers indicating that the taste is not the same on a brick type vaporizer, for my part it's quite the opposite, in fact I really started vaping with bricks and I think that's what creates the point of comparison for these people. I wouldn't say their judgment is flawed but we just have different experiences. If you always compare your first experiences with what you know now, your judgment is bound to be affected.

I have many different types of vaporizers and I always come back to my bricks, which I find to be the best performers with a majestic taste (despite the wood). The only exception for me is the CL (and more rarely TM2).

coolbreeze

Nova's intake looks a decent bit longer than the Cosmo so I am probably at less risk of combustion. I am using a Vapman Jet Lighter for reference. I guess it's just practice for now and see how it goes?
You're probably right; it's also the size of the bell/intake, I think. That lighter should be great. You're also correct that it's just a matter of practice now: if you are close enough to have decent-if-unreliable results and 'get' what success will be, you're mostly there. It's just solidifying and ingraining.
It doesn't feel bad much at all during my session, I do cough some, I just feel "sore" after the sessions over and the next day too. It may also just be winter setting in and my place being dry.
That could well be, too, I'm feeling it myself. As the hydrohomies evangelize, have some water at your side! ; )
To be precise, the flame must never enter the flame intake in its entirety, but must absolutely remain outside (on the rim or a little further away, depending on the power of the torch).
Exactly. Really excellent knowledge I neglected.
You'll also need a good torch lighter (preferably electronic, as mechanical lighters can release particles in the air path caused by the stone). You'll also need to obtain quality butane (i.e. with as few impurities as possible, take the one with the most refining).
Again, total agreement.

coolbreeze,

dapatcho

What's it all about? do you have some picture to share with us? what kind of wood are we talking about? what is the configuration?

Is this your first brick-type vaporizer? Personally, I've noticed that if you stir and tamp your bowl often during a session, small herb particles can pass through the screen. That's why I add an extra screen under the mouthpiece glass on all my brick-type vaporizers (because I like to stir and tamp my bowl also smell the goodness of roasted weed). The secondary screen has become primordial for me and if you try, you'll see that small herb particles accumulate quite often in fact (this is especially true if you stir frequently and chop your herb finely enough). Of all my bricks, this is more noticeable on the NOVA because it has a larger bowl diameter than my other bricks (but this problem is quickly solved by adding a second screen). Maybe that's your problem?

To be precise, the flame must never enter the flame intake in its entirety, but must absolutely remain outside (on the rim or a little further away, depending on the power of the torch). You'll also need a good torch lighter (preferably electronic, as mechanical lighters can release particles in the air path caused by the stone). You'll also need to obtain quality butane (i.e. with as few impurities as possible, take the one with the most refining).

Personally, I don't encounter any particular problems with this type of vaporizer, for example, compared to combustion over several years, my health is much better. Coolbreeze sums up the situation very well, perhaps you have an alergy with the essence of the wood or wax?

I often notice users coming from the world of electronic vaporizers indicating that the taste is not the same on a brick type vaporizer, for my part it's quite the opposite, in fact I really started vaping with bricks and I think that's what creates the point of comparison for these people. I wouldn't say their judgment is flawed but we just have different experiences. If you always compare your first experiences with what you know now, your judgment is bound to be affected.

I have many different types of vaporizers and I always come back to my bricks, which I find to be the best performers with a majestic taste (despite the wood). The only exception for me is the CL (and more rarely TM2).
The seller didn't remember the woods used but here's a photo. Doug on Instagram said it looks like "walnut with a bloodwood bookend."
First brick-type, coming off of using an Xlux Roffu infrequently. I guess I can try and hunt down a second screen? You're referring to the fine mesh that the weed sits on top of? Do they sell something I could use at a hardware store? I did notice the taste was different, couldn't particularly define it as better or worse.

It sounds like my flame should be further away than where I'm setting it now. I had somewhat decent results aiming my flame inwards and upwards to the top of the intake. I will try with more material in the chamber and see how that goes.

coolbreeze

The seller didn't remember the woods used but here's a photo. Doug on Instagram said it looks like "walnut with a bloodwood bookend."
,,, I did notice the taste was different, couldn't particularly define it as better or worse.
Walnut often carries a taste that wanes over time. I think the process of breaking in a new wooden vape or bowl can release some trace oils for a brief period with the dry heat. Using it will help remove that and allow it to reabsorb some of the canna oils, which will then help to seal, protect and neutralize the wood.
It sounds like my flame should be further away than where I'm setting it now. I had somewhat decent results aiming my flame inwards and upwards to the top of the intake. I will try with more material in the chamber and see how that goes.
See if the tips offered help, but if you're getting good results you may have the basis of your technique.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

dapatcho

I'll give the suggestions a go for sure @coolbreeze @bestvaping if the weird post-session scratchiness continues to stick around for a day or two the piece may just not be for me and I'll be visiting the classifieds section lol

RedZep

I really like the look of the Roadies. @Shit Snacks it seems you have the 2" and 3" versions (both beautiful btw). I would be really grateful if you could give a general idea how much ground herb (medium grind) you can fit in each one.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I really like the look of the Roadies. @Shit Snacks it seems you have the 2" and 3" versions (both beautiful btw). I would be really grateful if you could give a general idea how much ground herb (medium grind) you can fit in each one.

Sorry I have no idea how to give that estimate really and honestly I've still never actually even used either of them yet lol

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: RedZep

bestvaping

I took advantage of the sales to buy some bent mouthpieces, available in 6", 9" and 12" (send an e-mail to Doug's for the 12" model, which is not available as an option on the site because it is so large that it can tip your NOVA over), well I don't regret it, of course this doesn't fit in the lid anymore but it's perfect for the house! I love his work, and it's the cheapest brick if you take the 'Lite' model, i.e. without the lid. In addition to the quality, I find the prices very attractive, a great man :rockon:

And here are some picture that are not mine (admire the work) :wave:

Love and Happiness!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I finally took the Nova plunge with #08. Absolute steal of a deal.

IMG-7873_large.heic

Last edited:

maremaresing

I'm sad I can basically never use my nova because it makes my throat close up and I'm hoarse/gravely for a day. I don't think it's the nova but maybe all direct inhale butane vapes. Or maybe the terps of .4g of dry herb at once? Or the hot air?

I never have any problems with any other vape I have, including ones that hit hot or hard like the dyna or EVO. Just me?

I'm using really good butane, and have tried all sorts of torches.

maremaresing,

RedZep

I'm sad I can basically never use my nova because it makes my throat close up and I'm hoarse/gravely for a day. I don't think it's the nova but maybe all direct inhale butane vapes. Or maybe the terps of .4g of dry herb at once? Or the hot air?

I never have any problems with any other vape I have, including ones that hit hot or hard like the dyna or EVO. Just me?

I'm using really good butane, and have tried all sorts of torches.
Don't fill the bowl. All brick butane vapes perform best with at max half full. That will still be plenty of material.

RedZep,

maremaresing

What makes you advise that? The ability to put .5 in the Nova is why I chose it. I have plenty of lower capacity vapes. But even the desktops I have that are packed equally full don't seem to have the same negative side effects.

maremaresing,

RedZep

What makes you advise that? The ability to put .5 in the Nova is why I chose it. I have plenty of lower capacity vapes. But even the desktops I have that are packed equally full don't seem to have the same negative side effects.
Max bowl capacity and optimal capacity are different on lots of vapes. Same for desktop ball vapes, they can vape 0.5g bowls but most people pack it half full.

If you are determined to fill the bowl to capacity then you either except that's a lot of terps to smack you in the face through a couple inches of glass and learn to love it, or use larger glass mp or WPA with bong. Infact you might look into the Cosmo (or similar) which is a Nova that just attached to a bong. Or you could take smaller hits. I prefer packing less and killing the bowl in a single hit.

Top Bottom