Nova by Doug's Woodery

warren0728

I only use single flame. Remove carb screw. Set torch flame to a visible inch. Aim the inner flame so it's just in the entrance of the intake. Cover the carb wit your finger. Aim the flame angled downwards.

Breathe low/slow until you feel the vapour then speed up your draw.

Start with half filling the bowl, after light tamp. Less likely to scorch, and will still be plenty of material to give a huge kick.
yeah that's how i use the sticky brick ... i was trying to use the technique trey used in his video keeping the flame outside the mouthpiece! more testing is needed i think! :leaf::tup:

Zillacon

🤠🤠🤠🤠
I use a single flame.

The thing that works for my is I position the lighter at a distance that causes a whirring noise, almost like a low whistle...but not quite. Once the correct distance is achieved I then move the angle of the flame to roast the entire bowl. I personally have not use the fanning technique and I have very low occurrence of combustion.

warren0728

thanks for all the input ... last night i experimented more and seemed to get the best results (using my single-flame) was basically the same as @RedZep ...i didn't remove the carb screw and felt the hits were good and not too hot ... those of you using the carburetor ... what's your technique ... do you feather it?

this thing really is beautiful ... hope to get some pics soon ... thanks for all your help!

bobetsky

I have the best results with a triple torch here. I draw for 5s and that's good. I find single flame to be weak and not kicking enough...

warren0728

I have the best results with a triple torch here. I draw for 5s and that's good. I find single flame to be weak and not kicking enough...
i’m getting good results with the single flame now but i am gonna get a triple torch to experiment with!

RedZep

I use a single flame.

The thing that works for my is I position the lighter at a distance that causes a whirring noise, almost like a low whistle...but not quite. Once the correct distance is achieved I then move the angle of the flame to roast the entire bowl. I personally have not use the fanning technique and I have very low occurrence of combustion.
If you ever get a chance I would really like to see a video of this technique in action

Zillacon

🤠🤠🤠🤠
If you ever get a chance I would really like to see a video of this technique in action
I tried hard to get the noise. You can hear I hit the spot right away and you can hear clicks which is a good sign (not really sure what the clicking is but it's usually a sign of a really good hit). I also leave the carb hole closed. I also attached a picture of the bowl. I usually will stir and hit 1 more time.

I can't seem to imbed the video link...I will try again in a bit.

Last edited:

RedZep

I've noticed with Nova that colour does not always reflect extraction. I often get a mesmerising, thick, potent hit that rocks me. I look in the herb chamber, and most is brown, some yellow. Not uniform. However second hits don't give much at all. I've even tried extracting the AVB in other vapes and it doesn't seem worthwhile.

So I've started using the potency, and thickness of the hit as a determinant for considering extraction level over appearance.

Anyone else with similar experience? It should be noted I only half fill the chamber at max, and go for a huge rip.

coolbreeze

I've noticed with Nova that colour does not always reflect extraction. I often get a mesmerising, thick, potent hit that rocks me. I look in the herb chamber, and most is brown, some yellow. Not uniform. However second hits don't give much at all. I've even tried extracting the AVB in other vapes and it doesn't seem worthwhile.

So I've started using the potency, and thickness of the hit as a determinant for considering extraction level over appearance.

Anyone else with similar experience? It should be noted I only half fill the chamber at max, and go for a huge rip.
I've noticed too the color being way lighter and more even than the hits would suggest. This is quite a vape!

364F

When you see that brown with some yellow in between hits, do you scramble it with the poker? When I do that (or just shake the torch against the chamber like he makes in the how to use video in the website) my hits are usually the same density, if I don’t the hits are different thickness.

364F,
Reactions: RedZep

RedZep

When you see that brown with some yellow in between hits, do you scramble it with the poker? When I do that (or just shake the torch against the chamber like he makes in the how to use video in the website) my hits are usually the same density, if I don’t the hits are different thickness.
Yeah I've mostly always stirred, re-tamped then hit again. But I've stopped bothering. Just not worth it. The actives are gone.

I'm only putting 0.15-0.2g. So I'm aiming to extract in a single hit. And after testing the AVB in other vapes, it seems to be working. Regardless of having some yellow, I'm pretty pretty sure the bowl is extracted.

coolbreeze

I usually stir once or maybe twice with a bigger bowl. I try to stir as little as possible because the weed breaks down and clogs up the airpath, but I do stir because as you've found there's still more unexposed surface area to be stripped of goodies, more'n likely. With a one or two hit bowl it's probably unnecessary.

RedZep

I usually stir once or maybe twice with a bigger bowl. I try to stir as little as possible because the weed breaks down and clogs up the airpath, but I do stir because as you've found there's still more unexposed surface area to be stripped of goodies, more'n likely. With a one or two hit bowl it's probably unnecessary.
If I take it hiking I pack a full bowl, and do multiple hits with stirring. Saves me having to empty/refill bowl. But in the house I just want to one shot smaller bowls. I know I'm wasting some of the material by not hitting twice, but it's really not that much. Besides, I'm blasted, so it doesn't really matter. Running a Nova at 90% extraction efficiency is still hyper potent.

364F

That’s why I usually prefer hitting the chamber with the Nova closed, with the bottom of the torch, that way there’s no “magic dust” clogging the screen.

TangibleHangnail

Just got a Nova, second-hand but in very good shape. I disassembled it for cleaning, but now I can't get the small concave machined screen to stay in. What's the trick?

TangibleHangnail,

warren0728

finally got a chance to photograph this beauty ... i really am enjoying this vape!

nova-small.jpg

dapatcho

I use a single flame.

Do you find you have to pull pretty quick to get it to whistle/whir? Am still trying to get the Nova to work okay for me.

dapatcho,

FlimsyKnuckle

I have had mine for about a year and never really got the hang of it. Yesterday flipped the diffuser shield upside down and suddenly it works the way I imagined.

Went from being on my display shelf to getting regular use.

364F

I have had mine for about a year and never really got the hang of it. Yesterday flipped the diffuser shield upside down and suddenly it works the way I imagined.

Went from being on my display shelf to getting regular use.
How’s the diffuser now? A bowl or a dome?

FlimsyKnuckle

How’s the diffuser now? A bowl or a dome?
I went dome after a year of excitement with it down like a bowl… which I am pretty sure is how it comes.

For whatever reasons, the way I want to torch it, and with my particular torch, I either got too much or nothing at all when it was like a bowl. Combusting frequently.

So it became a closet queen for a while.

Then I got a Lotus and fell in love with the quick, on demand, old school pipe style hits and decided to give the NOVA another go. I mean, I LOVE my Lotus but wanted a little more… oomph.

Now I have my oomph!

And what a beautiful piece. Bubinga that shimmers in 3D in the light.

Hasn’t left my hand since I figured out my brick-fu.

Top Bottom