• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

New rosin presses - Made in Germany

Werk II

Manufacturer
Hi,

I'm Frank from Germany. How my friend @Hogni has announced in some other threads on FC I'm actually working in developing rosin presses for different needs for the European market. From small DIY heat controlled plates for personal stash up to large high pro commercial presses with 100t.
I'm a mechanical engineer and for many years head of construction of a German company which is building commercial machines (bakery, brewing, filling systems) with automatization, heat and pressure controlling.
Now I'm developing, building and distributing my own high class brewing devices and hopefully soon offering some "Hop Rosin Presses" in highest quality with best materials and best proceeding - real old fashioned "Made in Germany" standard.

I would like to involve my future customers in developing. Your experiences and thoughts would be very valuably and helpfully for me!

Current state

- plates in different sizes/shapes out of alu for optimized heat transfer with a thinner stainless plate on the press side for better scratch resistance and dimensional stability or completely out of a more pressure resistant kind of alu (still to test).

- heated with heat cartridges

- controlled by arduino

- complete presses should be made for the ability of directional flow.

What a your important aspects and wishes?

- sizes of plates?
- heat up times?
- insulated plates?
- caged plates?
- general aspects of construction?

Regarding the rosin pros: What are your wishes for construction? What are the lacks (handling, performance) of your current setup for your needs? Any advices appreciated!

Hope the first betas will be available within the next 8 weeks.

I've not so much time to be online here all time. Please contact @Hogni if you get no reply immediately. He's not involved in my buisiness, he's just a good friend and my consultant and it was his idea to develope these devices for the European market. And....he drives me nutz since months to realize this project! :p

Thank you very much for your attention and your support!

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Finally he got it. Frank, welcome to FC!

I had a call with him a few hours ago and he told me that he don't intend to install a pressure gauge in the whole presses including frame and hydraulic press. He means that showed pressure never means the real pressure on the pressed stuff but only the pressure of the press pistons whose sizes differ from press to press and therfore the real force. So he wants to install a sensor to measure the real pressure or better force on the plates or pressed stuff. What a nerd!
What do you think about?

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Absolutely caged, unless you design a different mechanism which accomplishes the same idea: which is just to keep the plates in alignment, to keep the paper from smearing or tearing when compressed.

I would love to see a small personal rosin press designed into a compact appliance, which is ultimately affordable like one would be. No bigger than a Keurig that I can press an 8th of dried flowers from at a time. A few companies are on the path to this, but none have really knocked it out of the park. Especially on the price point. I'm talking about a device that will become as standard as a can opener.

Hogni

Frank intended to offer cages or such else as an option. But it's not really cheap. Regarding the add costs it doesn't make really sense as standard in a small DIY setup. As an update probably. He should think about a cheaper but functional solution I think. But he's really the brother in mind of Gyro Gearloose! ;)

@invertedisdead, Keurig? Means what measures?
Small personal press? All-in-one solution in one device including frame, press, plates, heater, controller?
What do you think about the optimal size of plates to press an 8th?

Hogni,
Reactions: Pyr0

Krazy

I'm not the target demographics of precision engineered presses. But I will be following this thread with much interest.

As a legal medical user my use is shaped by the laws where I live. In NM the official conversion is an assumed 17% THC for flowers. Because of this my reserve is always water cured flowers used for making oil. This lets me have a larger amount on hand than if I convert to concentrate.

A not to expensive mini appliance I would probably purchase just to have, lol.

Krazy,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Frank intended to offer cages or such else as an option. But it's not really cheap. Regarding the add costs it doesn't make really sense as standard in a small DIY setup. As an update probably. He should think about a cheaper but functional solution I think. But he's really the brother in mind of Gyro Gearloose! ;)

@invertedisdead, Keurig? Means what measures?
Small personal press? All-in-one solution in one device including frame, press, plates, heater, controller?
What do you think about the optimal size of plates to press an 8th?

it doesn't have to be a cage, as long as some implementation is used to align the plates well. It's the one area the Nugsmasher Mini is lacking.

Yes, an all in one compact personal press. The Nugsmasher Mini uses 2.5" round plates. So something close to that much area. A Keurig is a small personal coffee pot that is popular in America. I just meant something sized like that.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: Hogni

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I love german engineering, but when I hear that phrase I do think $$$.

With regards to the personal devices, have you determined the price range you are looking to remain within?

DrRishi

Great to see some action in Europe. I just purchased a NugSmasher Mini. It fits in that category 'home use' and can handle an 1/8th at a time. No pressure gauge and a single thermocouple (just on the bottom plate). Because it had to come from the US there was € 180 duty to pay which maken it pretty expensive. Keep it under €500 and I think it should be successful. The main issue in the EU is the way our governments perceive concentrates.

Hogni

There are no prices atm. How Frank said actually all devices are still under construction. Without knowing costs of production there is no base for calculation of prices up to know. Target prices are not more expensive than US prices for similar devices with all additional costs max for best processsed devices out of best materials. If these prices cant be hold construction and used materials have to be changed.
Frank is a real stainless buddie so he tries to make all out of ss.
But probabely there'll come a discounted price for pre-orders.

EDIT: Just watched pics of the Nugsmasher Mini is. It's really rough style :o Who made these weldings? King Kong?
Don't believe Frank would be satisfied having done such quality of work

Last edited:

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Great to see some action in Europe. I just purchased a NugSmasher Mini. It fits in that category 'home use' and can handle an 1/8th at a time. No pressure gauge and a single thermocouple (just on the bottom plate). Because it had to come from the US there was € 180 duty to pay which maken it pretty expensive. Keep it under €500 and I think it should be successful. The main issue in the EU is the way our governments perceive concentrates.
You should not have paid the import duty. You should have contacted Rhys who would have sorted it out.

Pyr0,

DrRishi

I purchased it through Rhys but it was shipped from the US. There is not really any way to avoid import duties anymore. As soon as you ship via DHL you pay the duty.

DrRishi,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I purchased it through Rhys but it was shipped from the US. There is not really any way to avoid import duties anymore. As soon as you ship via DHL you pay the duty.
no, honestly Rhys would have sorted it out so you wouldn't have paid any extra.
He did it with mine too.
Originally DHL got confused because I was having it delivered to my workplace so they emailled asking for our deferment number. I quickly contacted Rhys who sorted it out and the nugsmasher was delivered shortly after without needing a deferment number or requiring me to pay any extra for import duty/handling fees etc.

Back on topic..
I'd like to see caged plates too, and a compact desktop size as I don't have room for a large press

Last edited:
Pyr0,
Reactions: Gregori

Doktor Dub

Welcome to FC! After some conversations with @Hogni i was already waiting for some news on this project, i VERY welcome an european, high quality Press.

As a starting point and to at first establish rosin a bit more in Europe/Germany i think a good, working, personal all-in-one solution for presses up to 1/8 would be great and i would be all over it just for personal use. The already mentioned Nugsmasher Mini comes to mind, i am sure it can be a bit more refined quite easily.

for a bigger model, i always think the Sasquash looks good although pretty rough. There could be demand for a model for 20 - 50 g in one run i think, and who wants this one would be willing to invest some money....

For me, i don t care to much about heat up times and so on but hassle free operation, one place for service and no need to buy additional stuff like a pump elsewhere.

Just my first :2c:

I really hope you are succesful with this and it helps establishing concentrates more!

Doktor Dub,

DrRishi

I also do not care about warm up time.
I think a cage could make life difficult. I find I want to be able to get the 'puck' as well centered as possible especially when pressing the max load (otherwise nug extend beyond plate when fully squished).
I like round plates but I am sure there are some good reasons to use square ones.
Paint part of the side of a plate black so you can use an infra red temperature sensor to check the temps.
Stick to manual controls (i.e. no compressor).
Include a manual that actually helps the end user. Including the manual for the PID is a nice thing to do but it will only confuse the average user who does not have a degree in thermodynamics.

DrRishi,

Hogni

For certain DIY sets in different sizes will be the first modells. Maybe Frank will produce a small all in one solution like the NugSmasher too. I would recommend.

Pre mold presses and rosin bags probabely out of ss will come too. I'm sure Frank will invent some helpful little gadgets at least en detail.
I don't know, are there any rosin bags out of titanium mesh at the market? Up to now I haven't seen one. Guess they would be much more durable than ss ones? Unfortunately much more expensive too I think :huh:

Hogni,

davesmith

Glass Blower
I think the NSM is a gut comparison. I'd like something like that, focusing on desktop size and affordability <€400 would be the best IMO for the largest market. Not many personal users will go higher than that

Doktor Dub

as addition to my previous post: I think being easily moveable, not to be mounted and being "self-contained" / no additional Pump would be nice.

Doktor Dub,

Hogni

Ok, understand, some of you are looking for a egg-laying woolly sow for cheap!? ;)

There'll come DYI sets (plates, heater, controller) in different sizes (which sizes of plates do you want???) You can use it with the press you have or buy yourself.

I don't believe that a small complete all-in-one solution - in good quality - can be offered for 400 € without lacks of material or proceeding perhaps at some chinese shops. But who knows -we'll see.

@Doktor Dub, Do you know the Tarik&Rosin? Something like that? For sure a construction which isn't Frank's buisiness

Doktor Dub

Ok, understand, some of you are looking for a egg-laying woolly sow for cheap!? ;)

There'll come DYI sets (plates, heater, controller) in different sizes (which sizes of plates do you want???) You can use it with the press you have or buy yourself.

I don't believe that a small complete all-in-one solution - in good quality - can be offered for 400 € without lacks of material or proceeding perhaps at some chinese shops. But who knows -we'll see.

@Doktor Dub, Do you know the Tarik&Rosin? Something like that? For sure a construction which isn't Frank's buisiness

:lol: You got it, i ll take two of the egg-laying woolly sow.....

Joking aside, if there would be a reliable small all-in-one solution with warranty and service in europe, i would be willing to pay good money for this.

Never had the Tarik&Rosin live in my hands but i think this is more of a hair straightener in different form? that being said, i think there would be also a market for a cheap solution similar to the straightener/vice diy setups. But that would be an entirely different story.

There was the "Pressie", sold by Vapefiend. This one is chinese and i didn t find a good review, but just the size and formfactor is quite nice.

Have a great day!

Doktor Dub,

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Hi !

I am from Austria and very interessted in what you plan on building since we do
not have alot (if any..) of (quality) products/presses here in Europe and with all the hassle of shipping and customs (tax) we do have to encounter this sound rly rly good !!

I too think it should be more of a handy all in one solution, i.E. me i just need a small unit to smash some nugs here and there and i dont have that much space in my flat...price wise i would say somewhere in the range of 600-800€

All the best and keep us updated, i just registered only because i read this Thread :)

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
I would love to see a small personal rosin press designed into a compact appliance, which is ultimately affordable like one would be.

As a starting point and to at first establish rosin a bit more in Europe/Germany i think a good, working, personal all-in-one solution for presses up to 1/8 would be great and i would be all over it just for personal use.

i.E. me i just need a small unit to smash some nugs here and there and i dont have that much space in my flat

I'm also interested in something smaller for personal use.
I would also be ok with some more DIY solution instead of a self contained unit like the Nugsmasher but I don't know anything about presses and "serious" rosin making so I have no idea about what amount of pressure I would need and so on.
I think that most EU potential users share the same basic needs regard concentrate making as they would be producing rosing in very small batches mostly for personal use.

DrRishi

Well the nug smasher mini might be this egg layer already no?
The NugSmasher Mini certainly fills that role but it would be great to have similar product produced in the EU. Build your own is cool with a nice set of plates but this will always end up being a fairly large piece of equipment that may even need to be bolted down to the floor or a workbench.

I can grab the Mini put it on the table and start pressing. When I am done I just put it back in the cupboard.

Top Bottom