• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

MaxVapor E-Nail - 2018 Version

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
@RustyOldNail which specific features are you missing out on?

Ive used the uptemp feature... ever since I suggested it be implemented - and never had any problems with it. Sure it could use some uptemp adjustability, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that added in the next update. Which thankfully, I won’t have to mail in to perform.

Well, “boot screens” were on the list months ago, now in FW 1.34, cross that off, not something I personally care about.
I’m not sure about “Sound Themes”, that dashboard screen is empty, but again, not something I need.

Which leaves “Heat Profiles”, something I would like to see finished.

As far as “uptemp” mode, I believe you need to be able to select HOW FAST, or SLOW, you want the ramp up to be, and HOW LONG it holds at the high end, before turning OFF. Essentially, it’s TOO AUTOMATED, in its current form.

I didn’t buy this unit specifically for its uptemp mode, so it’s not a huge deal to me, though as I previously wrote, it’s seems Auber has more options for that feature. Reason uptemp is not a big deal to me, is I believe it was designed more for those using quartz drop down buckets, where the quick temps can register faster. On my NV Titanium DCup, with Sapphire dish, the temperature change is too slow going through the Titanium cup holder. Think about it this way. Assuming you have better lungs then my 10-12 second draw, and you can inhale for 20 seconds, then that’s the amount of time for the PID, to ramp from your start temp point to your end temp point. Having done extensive temperature testing at the dish surface on my DCup, shows that there is no way for even a 20f temperature increase to reach the dish surface in that short a time.

The above notes on “uptemp” mode is NOT a criticism of the MV PID, except for refining it a bit for those who have the gear to make use of it. I’m not disappointed, because I figured from the beginning with my setup that it would be useless for me.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: JCat

RustyOldNail

Forgetaboutit

Why not just get rid of it and move on? Go try something else, get your Auber all set up and post in that thread... that is okay.👍

Sorry my posts have upset your sensibilities. I’m glad you are totally happy with your purchase. So to avoid this distress for you in the future, I suggest you block me, then we can both live in peace and harmony, though I will surely miss all your positive contributions. And I will continue to post in this thread and the Auber thread, appreciate your blessing.

RustyOldNail

Just tested the “boot screen” image selection. Used one of the ones uploading by members in the MV Dashboard, lots of Star Wars fans....

Worked without having to use the “sync” setting, though that still exists, in the device menu.
Next I wanted to return to the default boot screen, so I deleted my selected image in the dashboard.
The previous Star Wars boot screen, is still the only choice from the MV PID menu.
Rebooted device, same thing.
RESET device to shipped DEFAULTS, by holding push button in while re-powering device.
Boot image is obviously saved in NVRAM now, no choice to select the old default boot screen.
With NO boot screen selected manually in the dashboard, deleted the test one, using the manual SYNC button, leaves the unit displaying the WARNING TRIANGLE icon on screen.
The only way I was able to get rid of warnings icon, was to once again choose a boot screen from list.
So, I’m not sure if it’s possible to get the MV default boot screen back, if you wanted to.
Unless of course, I’m missing something....

RustyOldNail,

RustyOldNail

@maxvapor710
In case you are lurking, and still interested in FW feedback.

This is NOT a new bug, just one from my list, that’s annoying.

Maxvapor BUG REPORT(9-7-20, on FW 1.34):
CHANGING POWER UP “TEMP SET”, UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOR

FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:

MV PID = MAIN POWER OFF
Turn ON rear power switch

MAIN SCREEN SHOWS:
SET TEMP = OFF
NEW = Coil at room temp

*While on MAIN SCREEN, if you PRESS DIAL/Click, the SET TEMP will display the LAST temperature you previously set, and begin HEATING the coil, as expected, but DON’T DO THIS FOR TEST, leave “Set Temp” = OFF.

However, I change my temps often, and don’t remember my last session set temp, so instead of press/clicking the dial, which turns heater on, just to see whatever the temp was last time unit was on, and I’m most likely going to change it,
I immediately scroll down to the,

SET TEMPERATURE SCREEN:
In this example, the last set temp was 465f. OK, that’s fine,
PRESS DIAL/Click, to confirm and return to,
MAIN SCREEN shows, SET TEMP = OFF
PRESS DIAL/Click, to begin coil heating, but...

*** SET TEMP, NOW shows as 32f, NOT the 465f I just clicked to confirm in the SET TEMP screen, (not expected behavior but easily repeatable)

NOTE: ONLY WORK AROUND,
I’ve found, is when you first scroll to SET TEMP SCREEN, you MUST change whatever last temp that is displayed, regardless if it’s exactly what you want, by ONE DEGREE. Then when you PRESS DIAL/Click to go back to the,
MAIN SCREEN and,
PRESS DIAL/Click, to begin coil heating,

You won’t see 32f. But the temperature you just changed by a one degree.

This may have been helpful as well, but I have never seen the option below:
*In firmware notes for 1.26: [FEATURE] New Current Temperature Screensaver.

Fkn0wned

I was just checking the website and was curious any hardware differences in the MaxVapor BT - E-Nail Controller (Version 1.3) and the 2018 version?; Or is it just the same unit shipped out with the latest firmware?

I still have my unit I purchased and have loved it and the uptemp feature I never actually dived in and got a temperature prob to get my nail dialed in just using it as it came changing the temps that produce the best session for me.

But I do sometimes get the runaway uptemp bug that just keeps heating the nail up, also sometimes changing temperatures on the dashboard doesn't update and you have to do it multiple times for it to show what you input.

As for people sharing their uptemp settings I am running a Quartz 20mm Banger with a Axial Coil nothing special just a China banger and setup but my temperature settings are.

Stable: 199.99° (I set it to 200° but the dashboard sets it to this)

Start: 315.00°

Ramp: 428.00°

Now I end on 428° because my uptemp overshoots and goes up to 500° something but under 520° I am able to get multiple pulls from it throughout and even some while it is stabilizing. I set on these temperatures after looking at many charts at which temperatures what properties are activated and some say 451°+ is the start of combustion.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

I was just checking the website and was curious any hardware differences in the MaxVapor BT - E-Nail Controller (Version 1.3) and the 2018 version?; Or is it just the same unit shipped out with the latest firmware?

I still have my unit I purchased and have loved it and the uptemp feature I never actually dived in and got a temperature prob to get my nail dialed in just using it as it came changing the temps that produce the best session for me.

But I do sometimes get the runaway uptemp bug that just keeps heating the nail up, also sometimes changing temperatures on the dashboard doesn't update and you have to do it multiple times for it to show what you input.

As for people sharing their uptemp settings I am running a Quartz 20mm Banger with a Axial Coil nothing special just a China banger and setup but my temperature settings are.

Stable: 199.99° (I set it to 200° but the dashboard sets it to this)

Start: 315.00°

Ramp: 428.00°

Now I end on 428° because my uptemp overshoots and goes up to 500° something but under 520° I am able to get multiple pulls from it throughout and even some while it is stabilizing. I set on these temperatures after looking at many charts at which temperatures what properties are activated and some say 451°+ is the start of combustion.

While I can’t answer your questions, I’ve waited to see if anyone else might be able to. There is not much user/owner feedback in this thread, and honestly I don’t know how many of these PID’s have been sold. Perhaps, all the owners are simply happy with their units.

You might try using their support email address shown on their site, as @maxvapor710 has not posted here since July 20th, 2020. No one knows why, same in their other thread on the Grasshopper AC adapter thread. Many have posted their concerns if there are any health issues with the Maxvapor staff, but no response.

I’ll continue to attempt to give them firmware bug reports, and firmware suggestions as my ultimate goal is to see this product reach its full potential, regardless of how my posts are perceived. I DONT email them on these topics as I don’t feel it’s necessary, if the company wants FEEDBACK, as they have indicated in past posts here, I’m more then happy to contribute.

Good luck with your inquiries.

Fkn0wned

I've had my Max Vapor device for awhile now and I just post in this thread for the community of people in here that have one as well, I am not impatient on waiting to hear back from @maxvapor710 himself which is fine because if you have been following his works he doesn't have a big team of people manufacturing these.

On top of this product as you mentioned he was designing a grasshopper AC powered cable that you can use instead of batteries and he also got work to put in his controller board into the Tsunami Desktop Vapes (https://www.newvape.com/collections.../maxvapor-tsunami-base?variant=34023721238668) which are now sold out.

He just hasn't "stopped" I am sure because he has made a good bit of income I reckon off of this venture to just drop it, he probably has contracts and or other projects he is currently trying to fullfill instead of sitting on the forum, it may have been awhile since he has popped in but I am sure he stands by his products.

And I don't see how or where the health risk are on the Enail it is all metal/stainless components and the controller board is custom made with good parts as well... maybe it could be a "health" concern in the fact of if uptemp doesn't stop and keeps heating up it could be a fire hazard?

As you said it would still be good to keep posting bugs and or finds just in case he happens to pop in he could add it to his bug log to look into to fix or update, he might have not been on the forum since July but the last recorded dashboard update was August 30, 2020 so activity has been made recently.

I'm sure we might hear from him at some point I believe just have hope and faith :).

JCat

Accessory Maker
I received my unit today :) (as well as my Grasshopper AC Adapter)

All is working well! I've done some initial investigation on API's and what can be accomplished through those to enhance the device.

I've had some communications with MaxVapor over the past couple months, although most communications have been rather delayed.

RustyOldNail

Posted by a respected member in a different thread:

“FWIW I talked to Max the other day, all is fine. I had a reply in less than 10 minutes.
Not sure he'll be back on FC though. Unfortunately people have a habit of turning manufacturers threads into customer service portals, same reason most of the "makers" have left, or at least stopped posting over the years.”

Make of it what you will. I assume feedback here, once encouraged is no longer needed.

VapeEnthusiast

Troy's Army
Make of it what you will. I assume feedback here, once encouraged is no longer needed.

Annoying. Whats even worse is that the runaway temp bug has still not been fixed. I still haven't received a response email about the bug. Its been 4 months.

Overall, I stand by the fact that the look and feel of this controller is excellent. However, the software is still a buggy mess. The internet app is even buggier.

I was hoping for consistent bug fixes and occasional upgrades. That was an overexpectation.

I think this controller has a lot of potential but it would be hard for me to recommend it over my Auber 300.

RustyOldNail

Annoying. Whats even worse is that the runaway temp bug has still not been fixed. I still haven't received a response email about the bug. Its been 4 months.

Overall, I stand by the fact that the look and feel of this controller is excellent. However, the software is still a buggy mess. The internet app is even buggier.

I was hoping for consistent bug fixes and occasional upgrades. That was an overexpectation.

I think this controller has a lot of potential but it would be hard for me to recommend it over my Auber 300.

100%, I drank the cool aid, that it was the best on the market, and it could have been.....
I believed that at this point in the products history, that I was getting a relatively mature product.
I had some real good suggestions to make the interface better, that I’m sure most here would have agreed with, but if the maker isn’t interested, then ......

JCat

Accessory Maker
I don't think MaxVapor has disappeared; the lack of presence here could mean any number of things, from personal obligations/reasons, to being busy working on the hardware and or software, ...

I've been in touch with him, and am hoping to get some answers, and help out on some of the enhancements in regards to mobile/desktop apps and anywhere else they are comfortable giving me access to.

The form-factor on these units is truly great.

For those of you that might be interested, my current PID settings, that I think are relatively good (overshoot by about 30-40F from cold, and takes maybe 5+ minutes to stabilize back down, after which it maintains consistent temp):
- Kp = 15
- Ki = 0.63
- Kd = 6.5

This is the best balance I've found between controlling the overshoot, but also being responsive and maintaining a stable temp in use.

(the overshoot actually isn't an overshoot at all either as far as surface temp of my ruby insert)

This is for my 30mm 710 Coils banger with 23mm ruby insert, and I'm using the same currently with my 25mm with 19mm ruby insert setup.

RustyOldNail

I don't think MaxVapor has disappeared; the lack of presence here could mean any number of things, from personal obligations/reasons, to being busy working on the hardware and or software, ...

I believe the person that quoted him, and while Max’s reasoning is beyond me, I believe his absence on his own product thread will continue. That and the members here that used the support email with no response is more troubling then if he has abandoned FC.

I’d love to be wrong, but the writing has been on this wall for months now.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I believe the person that quoted him, and while Max’s reasoning is beyond me, I believe his absence on his own product thread will continue. That and the members here that used the support email with no response is more troubling then if he has abandoned FC.

I’d love to be wrong, but the writing has been on this wall for months now.
Max has not been responsive, I 100% agree, however, I do see him still fulfilling orders and slowly getting around to responding to questions.

He's been more responsive to me as of late, after a long absence ... so let's try to stay positive and hopeful :)

Edit: And I doubt this is his only thing on the go ... and a lot of people have been under a lot of pressure in the last # of months.

Coustu

Have any of you guys had problems with your unit not able to get online? I got mine last week and connected to the dashboard fine for about 4 days and now I get the red cloud with the line through it on the "Devices" tab and can't connect to the dashboard but I have the solid heart on the MV screen as if it's connected. I also am wondering how to use the Bluetooth. this unit supposedly has both but I've only seen instructions for connecting for wifi in the manual. Any help would be much appreciated.

Coustu,

Fkn0wned

Quick question if you don't mind @JCat,

Regarding the PID settings Kp, Ki, Kd I looked those terms up to know the names proportional, integral, derivative gains BUT is there a quick layman way you could explain how you decided on those values so maybe I can get an idea on which direction to go with experimenting with my current setup, like maybe what does changing each of them do to the coils power?

I'm guessing it might control the speed and or rates at which it is given the power causing it to heat up faster/slower?

I have an IR thermometer and thermocouple to get temperature readings I'm just unsure what each of the values do to get a good sweet spot for me.

Fkn0wned,

JCat

Accessory Maker
P controls how fast it moves towards the set point

I controls the acceleration towards the set point based on error. Ie. if it’s far away it will quickly start to respond by pumping in more and more power

D slows it down when it gets close to the set point.

That’s a pretty general explanation, but should help you with adjusting them.

Fkn0wned

So I am wondering now if I could possible get some help with the TC Offset and Surface Offset values I have my probe set up and I am off about 60f - 80f from my set temp which I set to 500f to test, I got readings from lets say low end 420f up to higher ends of 430f depends on where I hit with my probe.

I can get my display offset right so the screen reads the right temp but when it goes into the screensaver it just reads out normal set temp getting the display offset right though allows me to get somewhat more accurate temps but I have to over shoot on the PID 540-550f gives me around 480f which sometimes I like for a nice low temp.

I know the values are set in Celsius but I am not sure which to change and for how much, I am using a 20mm axial coil with a 20mm Quarts banger with synthetic ruby terp pearls.

Fkn0wned,

Coustu

So MV did some tweaks on their end and the dashboard now refreshes much more often and I'm not (yet... fingers crossed) having the intermittent connections issues with the dashboard. That's great! I'm hoping they get the Integrations fixed so that I can have it work with Alexa. That would be nice too.

Coustu,

RustyOldNail

So MV did some tweaks on their end and the dashboard now refreshes much more often and I'm not (yet... fingers crossed) having the intermittent connections issues with the dashboard. That's great! I'm hoping they get the Integrations fixed so that I can have it work with Alexa. That would be nice too.

Last firmware update was August......

VapeEnthusiast

Troy's Army
I wrote MaxVapor again for kicks today. They acted like they were unaware of the over-heat issues with up-temp and the shutdown alarm. It's been over 6 months. They now give me the line that the overshoot on uptemp is "working as intended"™. Despite no fixes. Unreal, honestly.

I'm probably going to try to sell my controller off. Stick to Auber if you want a reliable product that wont overheat and damage your equipment. This shit sucks. I paid twice as much and I just use my Auber controller anyways.

The build quality and look of the MV controller are still amazing though , I still love that, so if that's all you care about - go for one of these. The software is a glitchy hellscape though - from basic functionality to actual temp functions to the joke of a web-browser dashboard.

Consistent bug fixes and updates were promised and are completely missing.

RustyOldNail

Version 0.1.35 December 07, 2020

[CHANGE] Reduce memory requirements of audio player.
[BUGFIX] Memory allocation playing certain audio clips.
[FEATURE] MQTT Setpoint and PID State update more quickly on change.

Well.... at least it shows product development isn’t dead.... maybe I’ll revisit my FW suggestions list.

Top Bottom