Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

vapviking

Old & In the Way

I'm looking for another source.

This Balance of Nature stuff has allowed me keep my job and to have a robust sex life, run mini-marathons and I can remember the smallest details from all of my life -- and I'm 112!

Trajectory.

Last edited:

florduh

The bad news? Argentina just elected a weird, psychotic, fascist President.

The good news? Elon Musk made another very funny prediction.

F_VW9nDXYAAoPty

Here's some previous Elon predictions:

F_Vb-FBXkAA32kp

F_VaKsoWIAA-65n

So, sounds like there are hard times ahead for Argentia.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

florduh

donald-trump-many-such-cases.gif

At this point, if anyone spends any amount of time crying about trans people and "the gays"...I just assume they're pedophiles until proven otherwise. Much safer that way. The people who want to do "dick and pussy checks" on every child athlete? Who coulda seen this coming?! :lol:

Most Americans have no problem with gay people. And while most Americans may not yet be totally comfortable with trans people, they find the people crying about them to be far more weird and off-putting than trans people themselves.

And I'm not even referencing polling data. I'm talking about actual elections. Republicans have lost numerous recent elections because they keep listening to certified freaks like "Moms for Liberty". Keep it up, fellas! :clap:

GetLeft

So, sounds like there are hard times ahead for Argentia.
Sadly, times have been hard for Argentina for 60+ yrs. thanks in large part to U.S. meddling and the World Bank. Not saying it doesn't take two to tango but when you're tangoing with the U.S. best to be paying attention to your open step (and your back).

florduh

Sadly, times have been hard for Argentina for 60+ yrs.

Sorry, I should've said times will be even harder with this weirdo at the helm.

thanks in large part to U.S. meddling and the World Bank.

Oh, shit. Bringing up the IMF around me is like dangling catnip in front of a cat. The whole Argentina debacle reminded me of this book.

91GBBYqqxWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

There's a Parenti quote that goes something like... "the third world isn't poor. You don't go to poor countries to make money. Only the people are poor." Funny how that works!

FRZb2VBaAAAfKL8.jpg

Good primer on "Economic Hitmen":

If you're unfamiliar with Milei, John Oliver did a good primer on him recently:

While this situation will be awful for the people of Argentina, there is a silver lining. In about 12 or 18 months, any time a libertarian starts running their mouth, you'll be able to say "lol, sure bud...look at Argentina".

florduh,

Farid

I hate to say it, but that "Bill Maher" brand of racism is par for the course. In many ways I find it more hateful than a lot of the racism of the Bush years because it seems more personally directed.

What's more disturbing is the fact that he is threatening to try and have the man's parents tortured. Thankfully Egyptian authorities would not give a rats ass about this guy - especially in today's climate...

florduh

I hate to say it, but that "Bill Maher" brand of racism is par for the course. In many ways I find it more hateful than a lot of the racism of the Bush years because it seems more personally directed.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising, but this scumbag was a highly decorated State Department diplomat. His entire job was to be...diplomatic.

He was also an Obama National Security Advisor. Really glad this dude was in Barack's ear as he was vaporizing hundreds of civilians (including American citizens) with his drone strikes.

Obama said he couldn't afford to look "soft" on terrorism, or the Republicans would call him a pussy. So he murdered more civilians than he technically had to.

And guess what? It worked! Republicans were very impressed with Barack's manliness, and never once called him a terrorist loving pussy! Mission accomplished!

Phew😮‍💨.... I'd hate to think we burned hundreds of innocent people alive for absolutely nothing!

I'm so glad I wake up every morning as an American! One of the Good Guys.

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

Can you imagine being Chinese? LMAO! You wake up every morning saying "Awwww, jeez. Awwww fuck!! I'm one of the Bad Guys?? What bad luck! This sucks :disgust:"

Today is the 60th Anniversary of JFK's Death

You know, they say: everyone could tell you exactly where they were and what they were doing when they found out Kennedy had been shot. With one exception...former President George HW Bush.

Now... CIA documents say there was a George W Bush in Dallas in 11/22/63. But let's not jump to any conclusions. Turns out it wasn't the George Bush who would later become CIA Director. Common name, I guess!

It's important that we don't draw too many conclusions about George Bush's smirking at the "lone gunman theory". After all, it's funny stuff! Sometimes one crazy guy with numerous ties to the intelligence community kills the President! LOL, amirite?!

Plus. George was at Gerry Ford's funeral. Funerals are famously giggle-fests! Or maybe he was just thinking about that Chevy Chase Ford impression on SNL!

Ford.gif

Last edited:
florduh,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Today is the 60th Anniversary of JFK's Death
I was 12 years old when this happened.
I am certain that no single event since has been felt by everyone in the country like this one was.
We all saw the same coverage of Camelot Lost in an instant, then almost immediately we all saw the 'perpetrator' shot.

I have not made a study of all the background and static over it, but Rob Reiner has studied it since it happened, and has a 10 episode podcast coming that he says will answer the big questions about the JFK assassination.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I was 12 years old when this happened.
I am certain that no single event since has been felt by everyone in the country like this one was.
I was only 9, and I was home for lunch watching Bozo's Circus when they broke in to tell us. I lived only a block and a half from the school. When I got back to school they immediately called an assembly, told us what happened, and sent us all home. I can't remember exactly how meaningful and upsetting the actual event was for me, but the attention applied to it for the next several weeks was very meaningful. At 9, the full significance of the assassination itself may have been lost on me, but certainly not the attention adults and older peers paid to it.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Blame Canada
May I suggest a solution?

Canna Chameleon,
Reactions: macbill

florduh

This is exactly why SAF-AFTRA struck.

Yep. They were more concerned about studios stealing the likenesses of real human actors and profiting off of them. But eventually, there will be nothing to stop them from inventing new AI "actors" out of whole cloth.

I just watched the new Top Gun movie for the first time this week. It's a movie about how hotshot fighter pilots are about to go extinct. Replaced by drones. But....not QUITE yet. The Top Guns are getting together for one last mission drones aren't yet capable of.

Tom Cruise Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

I could not shake the feeling while watching it....that this movie isn't REALLY about fighter pilots going extinct. No. It's a movie about Movie Stars going extinct. But just before AI Actors are ready for prime time, we get to go on one last kick-ass cinematic ride with maybe the world's last great human movie star, Tom Cruise.

And then I see this shit...

My feeling on AI hype is usually that it's bullshit marketing. "Our software is so good it's DANGEROUS!" But maybe I'm wrong?

image.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom