Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

Farid

I'd love to see old designs ressurected, even in gas models. Aestetically I love the look of the 60s and early 70s cars, and I hate the excessive proprietary electrical components in modern cars (pushbutton starts, touchscreens, etc).

If a small car company opened who's goal was to create a car designed for the mechanic to work on, easy to replace OEM parts, and keep consistent over the years I'd be all over it. I know it goes against the buisness model, but maybe the dedicated following it would garner would make it successful?

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Or you could just buy a VAG MQB product?
I love it. I don't know if it will ever be produced but this EV concept from Hyundai looks really tight.

6193cb6d8e9bfa00198722a8

It's time for car makers to reject modernity and embrace tradition.

Hyundai’s concepts are fantastic. Unless their leadership screws up what is brewing in the halls, they will be one of the top auto companies of the 21st century.

gallery-01-n-vision74-p.jpg

Timps27,
  • Love
Reactions: florduh

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
My apologies. Who knew 90's Simpsons was so racist.

The thrust of my post was praising the French for their bravery, especially compared to the modern American working class. Working people on this side of the pond have stood by placidly as labor rights our forefathers fought and died for have been slowly chipped away over the past 50 years.

But any time the French ruling class even suggests slightly stepping on workers' rights, French workers set half of Paris on fire.

It didn't always used to be this way. There were actual Labor Wars in America. They've just been memoryholed. It makes sense. Our schools exist to churn out good little cogs in the corpo machine. Probably best not to dwell on workers claiming power for themselves.

A Century Ago, Miners Fought in a Bloody Uprising. Few Know About It Today.

Blair-Miners-Guns.jpg

The battle of Blair Mountain involved cops and Pinkertons machine gunning striking workers and dropping bombs on them from biplanes.

Airfleet_ordered_to_West_Virginia_Battlefield_during_the_Blair_Mountain_fight_1921.png

Memory holed? That is a fancy way of saying the truth is no longer allowed to be told if it upsets anyone. A behavior which directly results in more people suffering the same fate because allowing people to honestly discuss the truth makes some people uncomfortable, so more people get to die. You think you're living in 2023 but the reality is its 1984.

Babylon Drifter,

florduh

I'd love to see old designs ressurected, even in gas models. Aestetically I love the look of the 60s and early 70s cars, and I hate the excessive proprietary electrical components in modern cars (pushbutton starts, touchscreens, etc).

ohhhh yeah! The 60's were the GOAT, imo. But I'm starting to dig 70's and even 80's designs too. Today's cars all just look soulless in comparison.

If a small car company opened who's goal was to create a car designed for the mechanic to work on, easy to replace OEM parts, and keep consistent over the years I'd be all over it. I know it goes against the buisness model, but maybe the dedicated following it would garner would make it successful?

I think it's possible, but like everything else...the deck is stacked against you by the corpos. Prices would be higher than the main manufacturers. But total cost of ownership would be lower over the life of the car. Like you hinted at, the trend now is to require every repair to be done by the dealership.

Memory holed? That is a fancy way of saying the truth is no longer allowed to be told if it upsets anyone.

Yep. I went to a good public high school in a nice suburb. Took AP US History. They breezed by the Battle of Blair Mountain. It was maybe one sentence in one chapter of the text book.

Like a lot of people, never heard of the Tulsa massacre that same year until HBO put it in a comic book show.

You'd think Americans doing airstrikes on other Americans multiple times within a single year would be worth mentioning in history class.

florduh

We're about to see a bunch of stories about oppressed South Americans yearning for freedom.

Maybe this time we'll be greeted as liberators!

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist

I found these 2 stories on the Spec Ops forum this morning. American citizen/journalists is searched 5 times and has her passport seized for reporting on the WEF at Davos.

Aaaaand a story about an American fighter pilot involved in a secret dogfight with Soviet fighters kept secret for 50 years.

You're suddenly hearing about this story to prepare you for the fact we are sneaking into the fight in the Ukraine just like the Russians were sneaking into the Korean War. "See, the Russians did it first"

Last edited:
Babylon Drifter,
Reactions: cosimo

Timps27

Random Twitter post by person claiming to report critically without any explanation of background circumstances, nor without any proper followup reporting regarding the search and it’s reasonings by investigating and/or interviewing those who called for and performed the search? Seems legit.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Random Twitter post by person claiming to report critically without any explanation of background circumstances, nor without any proper followup reporting regarding the search and it’s reasonings by investigating and/or interviewing those who called for and performed the search? Seems legit.
It's worse. She works for Turinig Point USA. Literally no credibility and a track record of flat out deceit. I don't even believe she went to Davos.

Fuck those billionaires, but I don't believe a word this dip shit says.

florduh

It's worse. She works for Turinig Point USA. Literally no credibility and a track record of flat out deceit. I don't even believe she went to Davos.

Fuck those billionaires, but I don't believe a word this dip shit says.

I'm sure the billionaires are trying to silence TPUSA, an organization that exists solely to tell its followers that it is right and good and just for billionaires to lord their power over us. They're the JOB CREATORS, dontchyaknow?

If TPUSA was really worried about billionaire power, they'd be advocating that we soak billionaires with new taxes. And make it easier for workers to unionize. But they advocate for literally the opposite.

I believe Economics is a "science" in the same way astrology is. But the Econ 101 explanation for INFLATION is: too many dollars chasing too few products and services. If that's true, the solution is to remove dollars from the system. The best way to do that is to take the dollars from the people who have all of them: the ultra wealthy.

Instead, our decrepit ruling class wants to remove money from the system by going after workers' wages.

I don't know why this solution isn't laughed off given that wages have not remotely kept up with inflation. Particularly if you're a renter.

Timps27

Aaaaand a story about an American fighter pilot involved in a secret dogfight with Soviet fighters kept secret for 50 years.

You're suddenly hearing about this story to prepare you for the fact we are sneaking into the fight in the Ukraine just like the Russians were sneaking into the Korean War. "See, the Russians did it first"

Because Vlad is just going to say “Aw shucks, you caught us. Guess you can send as many boys to fight as you want and I will not retaliate or escalate, because you caught us so bad.” :rolleyes:

This is the problem with your echo chamber, it presents a half plausible thread, but because no one in the echo chamber can think critically it just gets bounced around with glee with any random unintelligible ‘thought’ about what it means attached to it and then accepted and repeated as fact.

Even if we could prove definitively that every single N Korean aircraft was piloted by Russian nationals, it changes not one iota the calculation of sending escalatory forces to a conflict instigated by a nuclear power and sworn enemy.

Timps27,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Sweet older couple made a pact? Or was she just over him?

But what followed was a four hour standoff with a SWAT team who finally used a non-lethal explosive, then a Taser. After that, she still got a shot off into the ceiling of the hospital room.

Madtater

Sweet older couple made a pact? Or was she just over him?

But what followed was a four hour standoff with a SWAT team who finally used a non-lethal explosive, then a Taser. After that, she still got a shot off into the ceiling of the hospital room.
The article i read stated that her husband asked her to do that if he became too ill and if the cancer got out of control. He was supposed to donit himself, ut couldn’t because if his condition, so she did it for him. She is 80ish years old and just lost her husband of 50ish years. Pretty sure she doesnt care what happens to her. The standoff was because she was contemplating suicide….and some sort of shock i would imagine, but that is speculation.

florduh

Rare MSM W, doing at least some coverage of the biggest form of theft in the country.

If an employer calls the cops and says an employee is stealing from them, the cops will kick down that employee's door and lock them in a cage. After they shoot his chihuahua.

If an employee calls the cops and says their employer is stealing from them, the cops will tell the employee to fuck off and stop wasting their time.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The article i read stated that her husband asked her to do that if he became too ill and if the cancer got out of control. He was supposed to donit himself, ut couldn’t because if his condition, so she did it for him. She is 80ish years old and just lost her husband of 50ish years. Pretty sure she doesnt care what happens to her. The standoff was because she was contemplating suicide….and some sort of shock i would imagine, but that is speculation.

Its a tragic and weird story.
I'm struck by the fact that this happened in a hospital setting, where they likely have access to trained professionals in behavioral and mental illness.
Yet it was a SWAT team that took charge, subduing with violent means this obviously distraught older (76) woman.

When I make the pact with my wife, we'll write it down. Get it notarized!

florduh

Disney exec made 6 figures a day for the 3 months he worked there

A lot of people give Disney shit and threaten to boycott the company for very stupid reasons. Also, judging by the traffic around Orlando for the past 2 years, those boycotts are a complete failure.

But Disney is a disgusting company, just not for the reasons our dumbest citizens think. They're disgusting because they charge a literal fortune for a Disney World vacation. A small family can slum it for a few days at Disney World for $30,000. But these trips usually balloon past $50k. Disney keeps raising the prices of everything too.

That's not the disgusting part though. The disgusting part is after gouging tourists, they refuse to pay the people who make that place work enough to rent a one bedroom apartment within 50 miles of Disney World.

Meanwhile they have the money to blow on shit like this:

Few top executives have ever failed in a job so quickly — or so lucratively — as Geoff Morrell.

He became Disney’s chief corporate affairs officer January 24, 2022, and the company promptly announced Morrell’s departure in late April.

Morrell made about $150,000 a day for that quick stint in charge of Disney’s public relations and governmental affairs team. The Wall Street Journal first reported details of his pay package last week.

Timps27

The whole C level pay structure has been broken for decades. Originally companies were done giving them raises (before 7 figure salaries) and so started throwing other perks at them, e.g. stock options. Once those stock options monetized they realized they had given too much, but by then it was too late and C level expectations had been set at a ridiculous ransom.

florduh

The whole C level pay structure has been broken for decades. Originally companies were done giving them raises (before 7 figure salaries) and so started throwing other perks at them, e.g. stock options. Once those stock options monetized they realized they had given too much, but by then it was too late and C level expectations had been set at a ridiculous ransom.

A year or two ago I read this pretty fascinating book:

51kngwyQO+L._AC_SY780_.jpg

The political intrigue wasn't the fascinating part, to me. The book convinced me that the conditions we're living with now all began in the 1970's. That decade is the linchpin

America was the only country not bombed to shit after WWII. That gave us a 20-30 year head start in the post-war global economy. In the 50's and 60's business was so good that the corpo elite was willing to cut a fairer deal between capital and labor than we see today.

By the early 70's, the party was over. The rest of the world started to catch up a bit. But our corporate elite had grown accustomed to a certain standard of living, and they weren't taking a haircut.

So called "Boardroom Jacobins" lead a revolution to overturn the New Deal. Union-busting, deregulation, and rewriting every policy to favor Capital over Labor; in other words: Neoliberalism.

florduh

I seemed to have missed reading or hearing about Mexico and Canada being bombed in WWII.

Fair enough. All of South America was spared too. But the US was the only major economic world power not bombed to shit. Europe and the Soviet Union laid in ruins. Obviously that gave America a head start in the new global economy.

I'm not as familiar with the history of Canada, Mexico, or South America. Being spared the worst of the war was probably an economic boon to them as well. But no one took advantage of this head start like the US.

florduh,

Madtater

Fair enough. All of South America was spared too. But the US was the only major economic world power not bombed to shit. Europe and the Soviet Union laid in ruins. Obviously that gave America a head start in the new global economy.

I'm not as familiar with the history of Canada, Mexico, or South America. Being spared the worst of the war was probably an economic boon to them as well. But no one took advantage of this head start like the US.
England wasnt “bombed to shit” either.

Some would say that their economy is stronger than ours.

Madtater,
Top Bottom