Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Yeah, I still listen to Michael Jackson. My brain knows he was a bad guy, but try telling my ears that when "Billie Jean" comes on.
I'm probably a bigger MJ fan now than I ever was in the past...

I (personally, of course) do not think Michael was a "bad guy" (quite the opposite, actually), as I do not honestly believe he ever "diddled" anyone. But did he do "inappropriate" things with children? Absolutely.

Planck

believes in Dog
MJ was a great performer, Quincy Jones was the musical genius who imagined and created his signature sound. Quincy Jones :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I like lots of the MJ tunes

FWIW, precisely nothing, I think Clapton in the most overrated guitarist ever. I doubt he'd make my top 500 list. Saw him live once he had a great backup band. The opening act Colin James was the star of the show by far. He can take his opinions and tunes further on down the road.

This how I make friends and influence people. :doh:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Clapton is definitely one of my music heroes, and it is very disappointing that he has taken that position, but he is an outstanding musician which doesn't qualify him as outstanding in any other field, and certainly not science. We need to stop thinking that expertise in one area in any way necessarily bleeds into any other area. I think, like people who never understand gay rights until their daughter turns up gay, Clapton is letting his own bad experience with the vaccine completely warp his view of it. Assuming he just isn't an asshole which he may very well be.
My point is that his wrong headed notions about Covid have no effect on my love for his musical talent. And they shouldn't.

Knewt

I saw Clapton in the late 70's, I was much more impressed by the very strange people in the audience. Clapton left the stage for the guitar solo from Layla. This was also the first time that I took LSD.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Maybe consider getting a shot then...? That's what I did, now they don't bother me at all!

I did. But the nature of the way vaccinations work (no vaccination is 100% effective) require enough of the rest of the population to be vaccinated to stop any spread that may pop up.

Ramahs,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I did. But the nature of the way vaccinations work (no vaccination is 100% effective) require enough of the rest of the population to be vaccinated to stop any spread that may pop up.
Yeah, I watch and listen to the news, too, that's why I got a shot... but I'm not about to discriminate against anyone, vaxxer or not.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Wow. Are you for real? It's not okay to just go around throwing out lies as personal insults around here.
That was an extremely insulting thing to accuse someone of.

Last edited:
Ramahs,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Me being honest about myself is "insulting" to you...? Enough to outwardly (and continually, mind you) attack me? I guess another honest and last reply could only be, I'm sorry.

Bologna,
Reactions: BrianTL

florduh

I'm not mad at anti-vaxxers. It just bums me out. I am mad at multimillionaire TV talking heads, all of whom are absolutely vaccinated, spreading doubt about the vax to their massive audiences. That's some real sicko shit. Because it leads to horrific stories like this...

Man Who Tweeted About Having ‘99 Problems but a Vax Ain’t One’ Dies of COVID

A 34-year-old congregant of Hillsong Church and graduate of Hillsong College died Wednesday after a month-long bout with the coronavirus during which he posted jokes about the COVID-19 vaccine. “Biden’s door to door vaccine ‘surveyors’ really should be called JaCovid Witnesses. #keepmovingdork,” Stephen Harmon tweeted on July 8, after posting in June: “IF YOU’RE HAVING EMAIL PROBLEMS, I FEEL BAD FOR YOU, SON. I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A VAX AIN’T ONE!”

He made memes about trusting the Bible over Dr. Anthony Fauci. But in late July, Harmon wrote that he was “on max oxygen” and “struggling to function.” His final tweet July 21 asked supporters to pray for him as he was about to be intubated: “Don’t know when i’ll wake up, please pray.”

Brian Houston, the president of Hillsong Church, announced on Instagram, “Stephen was just a young man in his early 30’s. He was a graduate from Hillsong College and a vital part of our church in California. He was one of the most generous people I know and he had so much in front of him. He would always turn up to our grandkids soccer games and he will be missed by so many. RIP.”

florduh,
Reactions: cybrguy

florduh

^'Horrific' or 'hilarious'...?:rofl:

It can be both. The whole "99 problems" Tweet in particular. But we don't really teach kids how to use the scientific method to separate bullshit from reality. And massive corporations have turned the internet into a misinformation factory. Because it's very profitable for them. The fully vaxxed multimillionaire TV hosts saying "maybe the vaccine is bullshit" to their impressionable audience doesn't help either. There's also a narrative out there that only old people get seriously sick from COVID. Sounds like this 33 year old bought into that.

I can't imagine spending my last few moments of consciousness before a tube goes down my throat wondering if I'd be in this situation had I just got a free shot a month or two ago. I saw an interview with an ICU doc. She said that the most common last words from her unvaxxed patients are "Give me the shot now please". And she has to explain it's too late for that. It's real dark shit.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
It can be both. The whole "99 problems" Tweet in particular. But we don't really teach kids how to use the scientific method to separate bullshit from reality. And massive corporations have turned the internet into a misinformation factory. Because it's very profitable for them. The fully vaxxed multimillionaire TV hosts saying "maybe the vaccine is bullshit" to their impressionable audience doesn't help either. There's also a narrative out there that only old people get seriously sick from COVID. Sounds like this 33 year old bought into that.

I can't imagine spending my last few moments of consciousness before a tube goes down my throat wondering if I'd be in this situation had I just got a free shot a month or two ago. I saw an interview with an ICU doc. She said that the most common last words from her unvaxxed patients are "Give me the shot now please". And she has to explain it's too late for that. It's real dark shit.
I mean, I guess.... afterall I'm not a total asshole... but I for one DO teach my kids just that, and constantly (I bet they'd say "annoyingly", even...) All the rest I'm aware of anyway, as I feel much of it is "preaching to the choir" at least in this forum... I don't really "do" social media.

With many of these deaths, I can't help but feel it's 'poetic justice' of sorts, or more of a, "hey you, outta the gene pool!" moment....

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
The US is not alone

Anti-lockdown protests across Australia as Covid cases surge to record levels in Sydney

Thousands of angry, unmasked people marched through the Sydney central business district on Saturday afternoon demanding an end to the city’s lockdown, which is entering its fifth week.

================================================================

Appeals court blocks CDC restrictions on cruises in win for Florida

A federal appeals court on Friday sided with Florida in its challenge against the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over federal regulations for cruise ships that the state said were too onerous and were costing it millions of dollars in foregone tax revenue.

The two-page ruling from the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals marks an unusual reversal from the appeals panel’s ruling in the matter delivered on Saturday.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I mean, I guess.... afterall I'm not a total asshole... but I for one DO teach my kids just that, and constantly (I bet they'd say "annoyingly", even...) All the rest I'm aware of anyway, as I feel much of it is "preaching to the choir" at least in this forum... I don't really "do" social media.

With many of these deaths, I can't help but feel it's 'poetic justice' of sorts, or more of a, "hey you, outta the gene pool!" moment....
I might find some humor, and maybe even some poetic justice in the deaths of these people much like I enjoy Darwin Awards, if they weren't taking so many innocent people with them on their crusade for the virus. I have lost people from this virus and finding humor in people's deaths from stupidity or weak understandings of science is something I find difficult. And dying for a political position or affinity is just too much to give, and the virus promotion from people like Carlson should be prosecutable. I just don't know how to go about that in a "free society".

I'm with Steve.

Last edited:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
So by your "logic", isn't requiring people to drive on the right side of the road and stop for red lights a violation of their freedom. Shouldn't traffic laws be declared unConstitutional?

Mainwhile Canada earlier this week declared that it will open to fully-vaxxed American visitors on August 9th. I've already made my reservations for motels and the ferry to get to my beloved place in northern Newfoundland. But I just heard that they may change their mind and close it because the Delta varient is spreading so rapidly. And why is it spreading so rapidly? 97% of the new cases are people who are not vaxxed. So these people ignorant refusal to get vaxxed not only is keeping the virus alive but impinging directly on my life. They scream and lie about freedom and rights and the Constitution but could give two craps to depriving me of my rights.

And why are they refusing to get vaxxed? To hurt Joe Biden or to please the lying racist sexual predator Trump. They are just so f-ing stupid, ignorant. Human filth.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
is reduced to a mere tagline..
I look at it as a forgone conclusion. It is sad that folks are relying on "alternate facts" and there seems to be no way forward with anti-vaxxers until it strikes close to home and becomes a horribly sad teaching moment, if even then. I'd rather no one die of this pox.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
So by your "logic", isn't requiring people to drive on the right side of the road and stop for red lights a violation of their freedom. Shouldn't traffic laws be declared unConstitutional?

Mainwhile Canada earlier this week declared that it will open to fully-vaxxed American visitors on August 9th. I've already made my reservations for motels and the ferry to get to my beloved place in northern Newfoundland. But I just heard that they may change their mind and close it because the Delta varient is spreading so rapidly. And why is it spreading so rapidly? 97% of the new cases are people who are not vaxxed. So these people ignorant refusal to get vaxxed not only is keeping the virus alive but impinging directly on my life. They scream and lie about freedom and rights and the Constitution but could give to craps to depriving me of my rights.

And why are they refusing to get vaxxed? To hurt Joe Biden or to please the lying racist sexual predator Trump. They are just so f-ing stupid, ignorant. Human filth.
I'll assume you're replying to me, but that's not my "logic" at all, in fact, I would call that your "assumption"... I will say your analogy is ridiculous, and I'm not gonna bother explaining why. But to avoid anymore further (generational?) differences, I'll bow out of this "discussion" now...

FTR, I'm neither "pro", nor "anti" vax, and as I said earlier, I got the shot... I do what I think is "right", vote with my conscience etc, and fully accept what it means to part of "society". And again, I'm not your target audience, so, honestly, speeches like that mean very little to me, personally.

":peace:"....sarcastic? 🤔

Bologna,

florduh

Tucker Carlson has been sued in the past for spreading bullshit. Fox's own lawyers argued (successfully) that it should be obvious to anyone watching that he can't be taken seriously as a reliable source of information. So there's no legal recourse.

Tucker has spent months spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt about the vaccine. Given who's currently dying from this disease, I'm certain he has blood on his hands. And given how angry he gets whenever a reporter asks if he's vaccinated, I would bet my bottom dollar that he and his entire family have been vaccinated for months. He just doesn't want his audience to know. At least the Heaven's Gate cult leader had the decency to drink the koolaid along with his followers.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
But the most important part (or the part I agree with the most) is reduced to a mere tagline...
It is very sad to me to think that someone I generally respect might think that "freedom" should mean that one is free to murder the people in line next to you as well as potentially their children. That is not freedom. That is selfishness and a total lack of responsibility, and dare I say humanity.

It is hard for me to say there is much difference in my mind between someone who refuses vaccination for Covid and wearing a mask and someone firing a gun into a crowd of people. The biggest difference, so far, is that the person with the gun can be prosecuted.

Top Bottom