Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
E8owXw9XIAURDFc

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Woman comes face-to-face with 10-foot snake in Australia supermarket

The head of the nonvenomous diamond python emerged through a space in a shelf above the spice jars in the Sydney store.
Aug. 18, 2021, 7:55 AM EDT / Updated Aug. 18, 2021, 8:57 AM EDT / Source: Associated Press
By The Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia — Helaina Alati was browsing the spice aisle of an Australian supermarket when she came face-to-face with a huge snake.
The head of the 10-foot nonvenomous diamond python emerged through a space in a shelf above the spice jars in the Sydney store.

“I was in the spice aisle just looking for something to put on my chicken that night so I didn’t initially see it because it was curled up way back behind the little jars of spices,” Alati said Wednesday. “I kind of turned to my right and it poked its head out.”
Alati, who coincidently is a trained snake catcher, said the snake’s head came to within 8 inches of her own.
“Thankfully, I have a background in snakes so I was pretty calm about it. It definitely shocked me a little bit because I wasn’t expecting it,” she added.
Supermarket chain Woolworths confirmed in a statement that a “slippery and rare customer was spotted in the spice aisle” on Monday morning at its store in the suburb of Glenorie on Sydney’s northwest outskirts.
“Once it was sighted, our team members reacted quickly and calmly to cordon off the area for the safety of customers,” the statement said.
Alati said she used her phone to video the snake as it extended its body from the shelf into the aisle before reporting the intruder to supermarket staff.
“I said: ‘I’ll go get my snake bag.’ I think they thought I was a bit crazy to be honest. I don’t think they knew what to say when I said there’s a 10-foot python in your aisle,” Alati said.
She retrieved the snake-catching bag from her nearby home and caught the snake, which had by then retreated back into the shelf. She then released it into nearby woodlands.
It’s unclear how or when the snake entered the supermarket.
Alati, who was trained to catch venous snakes when she was a volunteer working for a Sydney wildlife rescue organization several years ago, suspected the snake was a male looking for a mate.
“I knew straight away it was non-venomous, it was non-aggressive, it wasn’t going to be a problem for anyone,” Alati said.
“If anything, I think everyone was a little bit excited. We’re all in lockdown so it was kind of like the most excitement we’ve had for a while,” she added.

Linky

solian

Woman comes face-to-face with 10-foot snake in Australia supermarket

The head of the nonvenomous diamond python emerged through a space in a shelf above the spice jars in the Sydney store.
Aug. 18, 2021, 7:55 AM EDT / Updated Aug. 18, 2021, 8:57 AM EDT / Source: Associated Press
By The Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia — Helaina Alati was browsing the spice aisle of an Australian supermarket when she came face-to-face with a huge snake.
The head of the 10-foot nonvenomous diamond python emerged through a space in a shelf above the spice jars in the Sydney store.

“I was in the spice aisle just looking for something to put on my chicken that night so I didn’t initially see it because it was curled up way back behind the little jars of spices,” Alati said Wednesday. “I kind of turned to my right and it poked its head out.”
Alati, who coincidently is a trained snake catcher, said the snake’s head came to within 8 inches of her own.
“Thankfully, I have a background in snakes so I was pretty calm about it. It definitely shocked me a little bit because I wasn’t expecting it,” she added.
Supermarket chain Woolworths confirmed in a statement that a “slippery and rare customer was spotted in the spice aisle” on Monday morning at its store in the suburb of Glenorie on Sydney’s northwest outskirts.
“Once it was sighted, our team members reacted quickly and calmly to cordon off the area for the safety of customers,” the statement said.
Alati said she used her phone to video the snake as it extended its body from the shelf into the aisle before reporting the intruder to supermarket staff.
“I said: ‘I’ll go get my snake bag.’ I think they thought I was a bit crazy to be honest. I don’t think they knew what to say when I said there’s a 10-foot python in your aisle,” Alati said.
She retrieved the snake-catching bag from her nearby home and caught the snake, which had by then retreated back into the shelf. She then released it into nearby woodlands.
It’s unclear how or when the snake entered the supermarket.
Alati, who was trained to catch venous snakes when she was a volunteer working for a Sydney wildlife rescue organization several years ago, suspected the snake was a male looking for a mate.
“I knew straight away it was non-venomous, it was non-aggressive, it wasn’t going to be a problem for anyone,” Alati said.
“If anything, I think everyone was a little bit excited. We’re all in lockdown so it was kind of like the most excitement we’ve had for a while,” she added.

Linky
Haha, That's a type of carpet python, we love them up here (QLD). Big ones can be grumpy and bighty, and eat small dogs. Usually very sneaky and quiet.
I had an 8+ foot one on the top of the beer fridge one night sniffing my head from like 3 inches away, scared the crap out of me at first.
:-)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
:rofl:
This piece of shit can't file Chapter 11 fast enough...

florduh

:rofl:
This piece of shit can't file Chapter 11 fast enough...
I'm for legalizing all drugs. But this guy is proof positive that crack is indeed, whack.

florduh

Ever feel like there's a lot of people walking around who were born on third base, thinking they hit a triple? Well, this video helps quantify that very prevalent phenomenon. It's not a bleak message though. The end of the video has just about the best self-help advice you can give anyone.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I wonder about Sturgis....

Sturgis was so much fun. I think the final count was around 500K or so, but realistically closer to 300 because I'm sure a lot of people got counted multiple times. For example I had to pass the counters each time I went from the campground to town and vice versa.

Similar to Lollapalooza I would imagine

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

Seeing as you posted that without any commentary, I will just assume you were attempting to draw a connection to Sturgis.

Most people attending Sturgis aren't from South Dakota, so they would likely be getting tested (and positives counted) in their home states, rather than SD. For example I got tested once I got home, although I was negative, I'm sure a positive result would have counted in the NY column instead of SD.

Sturgis' population is under 7K, and the majority of bartenders and entertainers are brought in from out of state, vendors are basically all from out of state, and a lot of the non bar/restaurant businesses rely on out of state help as well. Nearly every place was shorthanded this year because they couldn't get their normal amount of traveling help. I would think that those who did make it would be getting tested once they get home, rather than while still working in SD.

Draw whatever conclusions you want, but the CDC and SD DOH determined last year that 650 cases, including secondary and tertiary spread, were a result of the rally. Meaning if I get covid there, come home and infect one person, that's the secondary infection, and then they infect another person, there's your tertiary. With an attendance count of 460,000, 650 cases stemmed from it, again, including 2nd and 3rd exposures, which would likely be back in their home states.

florduh

It’s crazy that Sturgis does Lollapalooza numbers. Lollapalooza is in one of the biggest cities in the country, so a crowd doesn’t seem that odd. But a town going from 7,000 to 500,000 has got to be wild.

Razhumikin

It’s crazy that Sturgis does Lollapalooza numbers. Lollapalooza is in one of the biggest cities in the country, so a crowd doesn’t seem that odd. But a town going from 7,000 to 500,000 has got to be wild.
Its probably a nightmare for locals. When I lived in New Orleans I dreaded Mardi Gras every year, so many people would come in that cell phones wouldnt work, as the towers got overloaded! Not only that but the streets are literally covered in trash and beads afterwards, so much so that I couldnt ride my bike to work!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

It is wild and the local residents are all great. Definitely a huge change for them when the rally comes to town but they do a great job. Granted, some of these people make enough money during this 10 day period to cover their expenses for most of the year... but they handle the whole event extremely well.

The city workers are awesome, they come in every night once everything closes, the streets are spotless by the time theyre done. The next morning its like nothing happened the day before, then it starts all over again. You cant leave your bike on Main St, I think after midnight? or 2 AM? but you should see the tow trucks coming in to round up all of the bikes that are left behind. They have one goal, get the bikes out of the way so the city guys can clean. One morning we headed out at like 7 AM to start making our way to Mt Rushmore and it was like a completely different town. Beautifully quiet and clean. One of our guys actually got pulled over that morning for leaving a stop sign with his visor up, but pretty sure they were just fishing to see if we were headed back from a late party or going to get our day started.

Of course all of the surrounding towns benefit as well, not everybody stays in Sturgis itself. Theres towns and campgrounds throughout the hills that all a boom, supposedly overall the local economy sees an $800 M boost from the rally. Lots of places are actually only opened for the rally and shut down for the other 345 days of the year

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Yay! Superspreader Events. What a good time to have them! :razz:

LoLz

Ramahs,
Reactions: Planck

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member