Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
But I bet we also created a bunch of new future terrorists.

Of course we did. No denying that.

Evidently, it goes the other way too. For example the story of this young boy who had fled Baghdad and ended up in the U.S., joined the Marines and became a D.I. to help sculpt future Marines.

But yes, I am sure we created more terrorists than Marines, as this is a pretty unique story.

“Ever since the war started, my childhood was really scary,” Alshimmari said. “You hear something pop off and your only thought is, ‘Thank God it wasn’t me.’ It was horrible; you had to come to peace with the fact that you were going to lose family members and friends.”

But Alshimmari said American service members treated him and his family with kindness.

“The Marines would give me and my sisters gifts when they could stop on their patrol,” he said. “I got a football, a bag of tennis balls … I actually ate an MRE before I even joined the military. Giving a kid something like that is giving them the world, even if I didn’t know what something like a football was used for at the time.”

Alshimmari’s father worked as an electrician on the military base near their home. After they received death threats, Alshimmari and his father were given work visas to travel to America. With assistance from the US Government, Alshimmari’s mother and sisters were granted asylum in Jordan, and he and his father moved to Texas in 2011.

“In school in America, I felt like I was a part of something, but I didn’t ever really belong,” Alshimmari said. “Every 9/11 remembrance day, I would sit at the back of the class and just watch as heads would turn to look at me. I was judged by where I came from and what I looked like. That was until I found the Marine Corps.”
After a friend mentioned joining the Marines, Alshimmari looked into the various opportunities online.

“I saw joining the military as a way to give back,” he said. “I never really liked to take the easy way in things. I saw the Marine Corps as a challenge I had never experienced, and I had already been through so much worse.”

Ashimmari said his recruiters immediately noticed his mental and physical toughness and his strong desire to excel as a Marine. He graduated recruit training in November 2015.

As a student in Parris Island’s Drill Instructor School, he is focused on growing as a Marine leader and embodying the highest standards of military professionalism, which drill instructors are known for. He said he looks forward to making Marines and hopes his story inspires others to overcome adversity.

First Sgt. Juan Segura, the senior enlisted advisor for the Drill Instructor School at Parris Island and one of Alshimmari’s instructors, recalled meeting Alshimmari in the first days of class and being struck by his story of resilience. As a Marine deployed in Iraq, Segura and his squad would stuff their pockets with candy and small trinkets from their care packages to give to children as they patrolled the area.
“The kids we saw when we went on patrols were the future, and we learned that if we treated them as such, they would go on to do great things just as Alshimmari has,” Segura said.

Alshimmari said his desire to take care of his Marines and recruits in the future is galvanized by his experiences in war-torn Iraq.

“I always apply what I went through in the past to how I am now,” Alshimmari said. “Often, I see people given one and only one chance, and if they make a mistake, they are labeled for life. Second chances are a must.”

Segura said Alshimmari’s story is a testament to the American dream and the pride of belonging that comes from serving.

“To come to the United States to become a citizen … and on top of everything, have the desire to make and lead the Marines of the future — that is admirable,” Segura said.

BrianTL,
Reactions: florduh

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Didn't know that synthetic vanilla flavor came from fossil fuel & now maybe plastics. Sounds appetizing & oh so healthy.

If the bacteria is converting it into the same chemical found naturally in the vanilla bean, then it's the same chemical at that point, and would be no different to consume than consuming the same chemical when it's created by the vanilla plant instead of the bacteria.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
jeopardy-grateful-dead-gives-show-major-shoutout-using-them-clue-this-past-week-1170x702.png

‘Jeopardy!’: Grateful Dead Gives Show Major Shoutout for Using Them as Clue This Past Week

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Bruce Springsteen and Paul Simon to perform at Clive Davis’ Central Park Concert

Clive Davis has snagged Bruce Springsteen and Paul Simon as headliners for Mayor Bill de Blasio’s post-COVID Central Park concert, Page Six has learned.

The concert — which is intended to celebrate New York City’s revival after the COVID-19 lockdowns — is set to take place on the Great Lawn on Aug. 21.

We’ve also learned that it will air on CNN. Davis — who is helping to produce the event — has previously said that eight “iconic” stars will perform a three-hour show to a crowd of 60,000.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

San Jose Passes Mandatory Liability Insurance For Gun Owners

San Jose’s city council approved a national first that will see gun owners being forced to compensate taxpayers for the spiraling costs of gun violence. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, gun owners in California’s third-largest city will be required to take out liability insurance for their firearms, and pay an annual tax that will help fund emergency responses to gun-related calls.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
This Should End Well

Police: Armed Men Who Don't 'Recognize Our Laws' on the Run

A group of heavily-armed men refused to comply with law enforcement officers following a traffic stop early Saturday morning in Massachusetts, police said.
Eight men armed with rifles and handguns exited a vehicle during a stop along Route 128, Wakefield police said in a statement. The men claimed to be from a group “that does not recognize our laws” and headed into a wooded area.

florduh

You've never fucked up at your job as spectacularly as Exxon executive Keith McCoy. He thought he was being headhunted for a new job. Turns out it was Greenpeace secretly recording him for an expose. There's nothing really shocking about what he says. Everybody sort of knows that every US politician is for sale. But hearing an Exxon executive describing how they "go fishing" for specific politicians is great.

Revealed: ExxonMobil’s lobbying war on climate change legislation

This guy just keeps on TALKING. He says Exxon lobbying managed to hide the fact that Exxon produces so called "forever chemicals" in plastics that cause illness in humans.

Exxon CEO Darren Woods says the company is “deeply apologetic” over these comments, adding “Comments made by the individuals in no way represent the company’s position on a variety of issues, including climate policy and our firm commitment that carbon pricing is important to addressing climate change,”.

Sure, bud. Sure.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Where to get free ice cream on National Ice Cream Day, plus deals at Dairy Queen, McDonald's and more Sunday

Businesses nationwide are offering not just free ice cream, but specials, discounts and contests in honor of National Ice Cream Day, celebrated every July 18.

Ice Cream Day became an official food holiday in 1984 when President Ronald Reagan declared the third Sunday of July as National Ice Cream Day and the month of July as National Ice Cream Month.

=================================================================

GM Will Suck Lithium From the Salton Sea to Make Batteries

GM just announced that it became the first investor in a project run by Controlled Thermal Resources. CTR will pump hot, salty water from deep below the Salton Sea and extract the lithium from it, along with clean thermo energy at the same time. Cleaner water goes back into the Salton Sea and the ground beneath it. It’s a win-win. You might even add another win in there when you consider the California Energy Commission’s estimate that the Salton Sea area could produce 600,000 tons of lithium per year, which is amazing since the entire world’s industry produced a mere 85,000 tons of lithium in all of 2019.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Yup! Life is hard... and then you die 🙄

There's usually some good bits along the way, a few laughs, some sunny days, something / someone nice... my getting older mantra, is not to waste any opportunities... some of them really only come around once in a lifetime!

p.s. I wonder if she has a collapsed cardboard bed 🤔 (I really don't mean to joke about someones misfortune, but... just can't help wondering!)

kel,
Reactions: florduh

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Prolly won't get you Knighted but well done Mr. Clapton (aka 'gawd'):clap::bowdown::rockon::peace:

Eric Clapton Will Not Play Shows Where Proof of Vaccine Is Required

Musician issued statement after U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said vaccine passes would be required at clubs and venues​

By
JON BLISTEIN

JULY 21, 2021 1:14PM ET
eric clapton covid-19 vaccine

“I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present," Clapton said.
Ian West/AP
Eric Clapton said he will not perform at any venues that require attendees to prove that they’ve been vaccinated against Covid-19.
Clapton issued his statement in response to Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s announcement on Monday, July 19th, that vaccine passes would be required to enter nightclubs and venues. Clapton’s statement was shared via the Telegram account of film producer and architect Robin Monotti, who has also been skeptical of the Covid-19 vaccine and expressed other doubts about the U.K. government’s response to the pandemic. (Clapton previously shared a message about his “disastrous” health experience after receiving the Covid-19 vaccine on Monotti’s Telegram page.)

“Following the PM’s announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021 I feel honor-bound to make an announcement of my own,” Clapton said. “I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present. Unless there is provision made for all people to attend, I reserve the right to cancel the show.”

The message was accompanied by a link to Clapton’s anti-lockdown song with Van Morrison, “Stand and Deliver.” Representatives for Clapton did not immediately return Rolling Stone’s request for comment.
In a statement to Rolling Stone in May, a spokesperson for the MHRA, the UK governmental body overseeing the vaccine, reiterated that “over 56 million doses of vaccines against COVID-19 have now been administered in the UK, saving thousands of lives through the biggest vaccination programme that has ever taken place in this country.
“Our advice remains that the benefits of the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca outweigh the risks in the majority of people. It is still vitally important that people come forward for their vaccination when invited to do so.”

Clapton’s next scheduled shows in the United Kingdom won’t be until May 2022, when he has two dates on the books at the Royal Albert Hall in London. He has a handful of North American concerts scheduled for this September.

Rock Stars Who Have Been Knighted:
  • Sir Paul McCartney
  • Sir Mick Jagger
  • Sir Cliff Richard
  • Sir Rod Stewart
  • Sir Tom Jones
  • Sir Elton John
  • Sir George Ivan Morrison (Van Morrison)
  • Sir Ray Davies
  • Sir Richard Starkey
  • Sir Barry Gibb
Edit: and why not these...

From the first Cream record I bought ('80, 13yo, some flea market in central MA for like $.50...still have it!):

Aaaaand with period video...!:

Last edited:

florduh

I'm just glad Eric's views on "discrimination" have somewhat softened since the mid 70's:

Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands… So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country … I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white …

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Meh, while I can appreciate his current public stance, I would never look to uneducated, booze-soaked/drug-addled rock stars for any kind of "moral guidance" whatsoever, and (usually) have no problems separating the artist from their art... and to be honest, save for Cream, and a few other early projects and maybe a couple of solo songs, he was never my 'god'... I'm a much, much bigger fan of either Page or Beck.

Edit:
Oh yeah btw, fuck 'Cancel Culture'... and not to imply you're a proponent, @florduh, or anything like that. It's just a general statement...

Last edited:
Bologna,
Reactions: BrianTL

florduh

(usually) have no problems separating the artist from their art...

Yeah, I still listen to Michael Jackson. My brain knows he was a bad guy, but try telling my ears that when "Billie Jean" comes on.

I just think it's funny that a guy who once told every non-white to leave his concert (and country) is now against playing for "discriminated audiences". Progress.

florduh,
Reactions: Bologna
Top Bottom