• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Immune system vs. cannabis

Have you found cannabis use to increase illness frequency?

• Yes, but it’s worth it.

• No, just the opposite, I never get sick since I started using.

• I’m not sure yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
I was sick more in 2018 than ever before.

There are many factors, so I can’t blame cannabis, but I have heard it does affect the immune system.

Recently I have been sick for a month. I was just diagnosed with mono. Should I avoid cannabis to let my immune system recover?

Also, mono can temporarily enlarge the liver and spleen, so I was told to avoid alcohol. Should I also avoid cannabis as it too is processed in the liver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ginolicious

I get the usual 1-3 sicknesses a year. I don’t think it’s related to cannabis at all. I know of you are congested and vaping or smoking will take a longer time to heal. But if you just eat cannabis I doubt it would have negative effects in getting better.

CastIronHits

Slightly Crispy
I was under the impression that cannabinoids actually heal the liver from the damages of alcohol and that CB2 receptors show up in alcohol damaged liver cells. I can't currently find an article to support that though so I'm unsure.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
Thanks for the responses thus far. Would love to hear from some more people.

Maybe someday as cannabis is les demonized we will have access to more complete medical information about it.

DeeCee5

Livin' La Vida Loca in FL
Just my :2c:, but I think there is some kind of upper respiratory illness that has hovered over the east coast of the US for last three months and keeps modifying itself just enough that you keep getting sick. :zombie::zombie::zombie:

I am a medical user since 2017. No issues in 2017 (actually was healthier than usual).
However in the last quarter of 2018 I was sick three times for a total of 10 weeks with various upper respiratory illnesses (all viral per my PCP). So were my siblings and nieces and nephews (all non users).

While I am currently better; what I did was switch over to edibles during the congestion / coughing portion of my illnesses.

analytika

I was sick more in 2018 than ever before.

There are many factors, so I can’t blame cannabis, but I have heard it does affect the immune system.

Recently I have been sick for a month. I was just diagnosed with mono. Should I avoid cannabis to let my immune system recover?

Also, mono can temporarily enlarge the liver and spleen, so I was told to avoid alcohol. Should I also avoid cannabis as it too is processed in the liver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not relevant to your particular case.

But some illnesses overstimulate the immune system, like the common cold. Rhinoviruses aren't particularly challenging for the immune system, but take time.
I say :love: to cannabis for the common cold. No change in recovery time, less misery.

Flu virus, your immune system needs to marshall every resource. Severe respiratory cases can be fatal.

I say:shrug:to cannabis for flu. Cannabis lengthens the affliction, deepens the seriousness, and slows recovery.

Based on personal experience only. I can't say I get sick any more or less often.

Last edited:

ginolicious

Just my :2c:, but I think there is some kind of upper respiratory illness that has hovered over the east coast of the US for last three months and keeps modifying itself just enough that you keep getting sick. :zombie::zombie::zombie:

I am a medical user since 2017. No issues in 2017 (actually was healthier than usual).
However in the last quarter of 2018 I was sick three times for a total of 10 weeks with various upper respiratory illnesses (all viral per my PCP). So were my siblings and nieces and nephews (all non users).

While I am currently better; what I did was switch over to edibles during the congestion / coughing portion of my illnesses.

Tell me about it. My two kids have the worst coughs again. Seems like my daughter cannot kick it and has had a cough for months. It’s wild.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur

Very interesting. What you say makes a lot of sense. And now that I think about it, I do have friends in nearby states that are also under the weather. Thanks for your reply!

Not relevant to your particular case.

But some illnesses overstimulate the immune system, like the common cold. Rhinoviruses aren't particularly challenging for the immune system, but take time.
I say :love: to cannabis for the common cold. No change in recovery time, less misery.

Flu virus, your immune system needs to marshall every resource. Severe respiratory cases can be fatal.

I say:shrug:to cannabis for flu. Cannabis lengthens the affliction, deepens the seriousness, and slows recovery.

Based on personal experience only. I can't say I get sick any more or less often.
Interesting. So for colds, vape away. For more serious things, maybe take a break. So... mono... thinking that’s more on the “take a break” side of things?

Tell me about it. My two kids have the worst coughs again. Seems like my daughter cannot kick it and has had a cough for months. It’s wild.
Sorry to hear that. I feel like I’ve had a cough/cold for a little over a month, with some other symptoms coming and going. Every time I think I’m almost over it it starts getting worse again with new symptoms along for the ride. And now mono. :(

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
I think it rather helps (depending on what your ailments are). But never say never.

Then of course inhaling anything else than good ambient air often, is a load for the lungs and body.
Also it largely depend on your material and how often you use it.
Vaporizing moldy weed for example can't be positive for the immune system, no?

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
So has anyone heard anything about cannabis use during mono specifically? Like I mentioned, I was told to avoid alcohol because of live enlargement during mono, so I wonder about cannabis since it’s also processed through the liver.

On that note, are people with compromised livers able to use cannabis?

Denis69

I came across in some article posted in the ECS thread that stated that the couple thc/cb1 has some positive effects on some immune functions and negative on others, the same goes for cbd/cb2.
Cb1 and Cb2 being antagonist to each other, I came to the conclusion that some 1:1 pheno would profit best from the entourage effect and would have some overal positive effects

Just some random thoughts, in fact I have no idea what I am talking about :rofl:

Squiby

On that note, are people with compromised livers able to use cannabis

I was poisoned badly in 2015 from contaminated romaine lettuce in a Caesar salad from a restaurant. Health Canada investigated and found the source to be one supplier of pre packaged lettuce. 80 people were poisoned over a two week period.

I was seriously ill for 28 months, hospitalised for over 20 weeks and underwent 3 operations. My Doctors said that I was lucky to have survived. My pancreas, liver and kidneys were damaged and there were problems with my sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. My digestive system was so compromised that I couldn't eat a lot of the time. I was not overweight at the onset and lost 50 lbs. At my worst I looked anorexic.

I used cannabis throughout my journey to recovery during the times I was at home. My liver recovered after 6 months and my kidney returned to normal function after 12 months. The pancreas required the three surgeries and is still limping along.

Cannabis helped ease my symtoms tremendously. It reduced my pain and helped me cut down on the amount of dilaudid I was taking. It wiped out the constant nausea and helped me relax and sleep. It helped me eat a bit and keep it down. In no way do I believe that my cannabis use was anything but beneficial to my recovery. I believe it not only eased my symptoms but also reduced systemic inflammation and helped speed my recovery. I vaped and took oral RSO daily.

Now I microdose throughout the day for pleasure and energy but I wouldn't hesitate to use it therapeutically again if the need arises.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I found that my reoccurring sicknesses (common cold, etc) throughout the year were severaly diminished when I gave up smoking cigarettes for vaping on an electronic cigarette. I rarely get sick now. Switching from smoking to vaping cannabis didn't help in that area, though it did help with my lung function.

I've vaped as I normally do while I was in the midst of the common cold a year or two ago. I recovered just as quick as my wife who doesn't consume cannabis. YMMV

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
I was poisoned badly in 2015 from contaminated romaine lettuce in a Caesar salad from a restaurant. Health Canada investigated and found the source to be one supplier of pre packaged lettuce. 80 people were poisoned over a two week period.

I was seriously ill for 28 months, hospitalised for over 20 weeks and underwent 3 operations. My Doctors said that I was lucky to have survived. My pancreas, liver and kidneys were damaged and there were problems with my sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. My digestive system was so compromised that I couldn't eat a lot of the time. I was not overweight at the onset and lost 50 lbs. At my worst I looked anorexic.

I used cannabis throughout my journey to recovery during the times I was at home. My liver recovered after 6 months and my kidney returned to normal function after 12 months. The pancreas required the three surgeries and is still limping along.

Cannabis helped ease my symtoms tremendously. It reduced my pain and helped me cut down on the amount of dilaudid I was taking. It wiped out the constant nausea and helped me relax and sleep. It helped me eat a bit and keep it down. In no way do I believe that my cannabis use was anything but beneficial to my recovery. I believe it not only eased my symptoms but also reduced systemic inflammation and helped speed my recovery. I vaped and took oral RSO daily.

Now I microdose throughout the day for pleasure and energy but I wouldn't hesitate to use it therapeutically again if the need arises.

I found that my reoccurring sicknesses (common cold, etc) throughout the year were severaly diminished when I gave up smoking cigarettes for vaping on an electronic cigarette. I rarely get sick now. Switching from smoking to vaping cannabis didn't help in that area, though it did help with my lung function.

I've vaped as I normally do while I was in the midst of the common cold a year or two ago. I recovered just as quick as my wife who doesn't consume cannabis. YMMV
Thank you both, that is hugely helpful!

shervin2

The Two-Click Bowlshevik & Sticksimus Briximus
There is no concrete evidence that Cannabis either helps or provokes the immune system. Usually, we've studied the smoke, and kind of threw the baby with the bath water once we realized how bad combustion was and studies could now be taken on patients who use vaporizers. Maybe actual studies will be out in the future seeing the trend of individuals who vape vs smoke and incidences of illnesses or colds.

One thing is for sure, when I consume Cannabis, I've never been sick with a cold for as long as I do, it's only when it stops that I get sick.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
One thing is for sure, when I consume Cannabis, I've never been sick with a cold for as long as I do, it's only when it stops that I get sick.

I’m not sure I understand this portion of your post. Are you saying cannabis seems to keep away a cold, or that it prolongs the length of the cold? Or neither?

Squiby

I've had some experience with dilaudid.
Glad to see that cannabis reduced your need for it.
Nasty stuff. Necessary at times, but nasty.
You've had quite a journey. Glad you're on the mend.

Thank you. It was quite a trip. Dilaudid is nasty but necessary at times as you say and is helpful in melting away intense pain. Every Drs visit and every release from the hospital ended with a doctor handing me yet another prescription for dilaudid. Never once did they provide instruction or caution regarding this potent narcotic.

All I can say is thank goodness I had my bud to help temper its use.

Last edited:

shervin2

The Two-Click Bowlshevik & Sticksimus Briximus
I’m not sure I understand this portion of your post. Are you saying cannabis seems to keep away a cold, or that it prolongs the length of the cold? Or neither?

Im not posting any proof, but vaping cannabis has been warding off colds for me in my experience. Smoking does the exact opposite, as i think it provokes your immune system with combusted toxins.

C No Ego

check out - phytocannabinoids as anti viral agents https://duckduckgo.com/?q=phytocannabinoids+as+anti+viral+agents&t=ffcm&atb=v62-6__&ia=web

cannabis and colds https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cannabis+and+colds&t=ffcm&atb=v62-6__&ia=web

phytocannabinoids by the way they metabolize into G protein-coupled receptors will help the immune system recover from virus attacks. the viruses get stuck in the proteins of the cell linings... cannabinoids ( endogenous/exogenous) catabolize / catalyze/ hydrolyze enzymes that drive homeostasis signal;s into the protein channels ( cannabinoid receptors).. certain phytocannabinoids have been noted to be better @ dislodging stuck viral loads in the linings... for example- Durban poison contains THCV and that phytocannabinoid compound is anti viral. strains with beta caryoplhyllene will be anti viral as well

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
check out - phytocannabinoids as anti viral agents https://duckduckgo.com/?q=phytocannabinoids+as+anti+viral+agents&t=ffcm&atb=v62-6__&ia=web

cannabis and colds https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cannabis+and+colds&t=ffcm&atb=v62-6__&ia=web

phytocannabinoids by the way they metabolize into G protein-coupled receptors will help the immune system recover from virus attacks. the viruses get stuck in the proteins of the cell linings... cannabinoids ( endogenous/exogenous) catabolize / catalyze/ hydrolyze enzymes that drive homeostasis signal;s into the protein channels ( cannabinoid receptors).. certain phytocannabinoids have been noted to be better @ dislodging stuck viral loads in the linings... for example- Durban poison contains THCV and that phytocannabinoid compound is anti viral. strains with beta caryoplhyllene will be anti viral as well
Wow, that is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for sharing!

Top Bottom