Illinois and weed

strech

The cart I bought today was $57.69. After tax it came to $75.

They do come in handy. My wife really likes them so I make sure she has one laying around.

Strech46290,
Reactions: Magic9

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Do you have a med card? Cart prices seem higher at the newly opened dispensary. Some disposables around that price. Or with med card reduction.

CybrGuy,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I'm about 45-min to an hour south of Downtown. I pay $200 for some pretty good ingrown. Those taxes scare me away from the dispensaries. As do the limits imposed. I can't make a run somewhere every time I needed an 1/8th. I hope it sorts itself out soon. I want to be a legal tax paying user. I just have to eat also lol.

Magic9,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm north of the city and I am paying more for top shelf. I look forward to sourcing from a dispensary, but I don't expect that to happen very soon.

I understand why the state wanted to start slowly, and then covid came along to make it even slower. But the prices are just "too damn high."

CybrGuy,
Reactions: Magic9

strech

I will have to look but MOCA gave me a list of pot friendly Docs. All are Northside Chicago places. Ask your local dispensary I'm sure they know a few docs.

Strech46290,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I say I won't do it again, but damn that legal bud was nice! Wedding crashers pressed out gold butter!

FlyingLow,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
My neck of the woods approved a dispensary to be opened by the end of the year. Hopefully prices settle by then or I hit the lottery.

Magic9,

strech

Best bang for your buck edible on the Northside is the $20 tonic drinks at medmen in oak park. That is if you consume heavy like myself. You get 100mg and if you stick the bottle in the freezer about an hour before. You get a nice slushy drink with a big punch.

Strech46290,
Reactions: macbill

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't know anything about those particular drinks, but I am very uncomfortable about some of the efforts to make orally consumed cannabis products fast acting. I personally think we don't know anywhere near enough about the effects of using nanotechnology to quicken uptake of thc in humans to be consuming these new technologies at this point. I certainly have no intention of trying any of it myself yet. Much more research needs to be done before I will. What's the hurry? If ya all think GMO is scarey, I would think this would be even more frightening.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Different strokes for different folks, I LOVE the punch from drinks. MUCH heavier than edibles IMO.

FlyingLow,

strech

I would not say the drinks I'm talking about are fast acting at all. 20-40 minutes just like any edibles.

Edited to add.

I bought the PTS brand tonics. I have drank a few different flavors and all seem to have the same effects. I have not tried any that includes CBD. Just the 100mg THC.
15909640768035720111486477022099.jpg

Last edited:
Strech46290,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
llinois offering $31 million in cannabis tax revenue to repair drug war damage
Bruce BarcottJune 4, 2020

illinois-marijuana-expungement-3.jpg

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed one of the nation's most comprehensive and equity-forward marijuana legalization laws. (Ashlee Rezin Garcia/Chicago Sun-Times via AP)

As the United States undergoes nationwide unrest over police brutality and the systemic oppression of Black people, state officials in Illinois announced a small step of progress earlier this week.

On Tuesday, the state opened applications for its Restore, Reinvest, and Renew (R3) program, which will distribute $31.5 million in cannabis tax revenue to the communities hit hardest by the war on drugs. Application materials with instructions on how to apply are available here. The deadline for all applications is Monday, July 20, 2020.

The R3 program is one of the highest-profile examples of social equity being “baked in” to marijuana legalization proposals. It’s one of the reasons many legalization advocates look to the Illinois legalization law as one of the gold standards for states looking to make progress on the issue.

$25k to $850k for local programs

As to the program itself: The R3 project offers grants ranging from $25,000 to more than $850,000 to nonprofit organizations, local municipalities, and tax-exempt faith-based organizations based in or focused on designated R3 zones. These could be social service program, economic opportunity projects, or other similar proposals.

The R3 funds are meant to address five areas of concern: civil legal aid, economic development, reentry from the criminal justice system, violence prevention, and youth development.

“In developing these funding opportunities, the focus has been on equity in opportunity at the community level,” said Jason Stamps, acting director of the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority. “This program will start to close those gaps in areas most hard hit by gun violence, unemployment, and criminal justice system overuse. To do so, we are looking to R3 communities for proposals of programs and strategies they identify to best address their needs and challenges.”

See if your community qualifies

State officials have posted a helpful map highlighting the R3 zones. It’s zoomable and gets right down to street level. (Well done, Illinois.)

This is all made possible by the state’s cannabis law, which stipulates that 25 percent of tax revenue from marijuana sales must go to the R3 program.

“The R3 program is a critical step towards repairing the harms caused by the failed war on drugs and decades of economic disinvestment,” said Lt. Gov. Juliana Stratton (D), who was among the first customers to purchase cannabis when shops opened in January, said in a press release. “Equity is one of the administration’s core values, and we are ensuring that state funding reaches organizations doing critical work in neighborhoods most impacted by the war on drugs.”

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Jesus. It would appear that supply and demand has Illinois customers completely by the balls. I was just looking to see what I might have to spend to get flower from my local dispensary and I was pretty stunned. Currently the only flower they have is Sour Diesel by the gram, at $24 ea. That would be $84 for an eighth. Before taxes or fees. I'm sorry, but that is fucking nuts.

strech

The shops here in the city all have 1/8ths available in the $60-65 range before tax.

That said they sure have been slow at putting a good supply out. They sure are riding that PDP pricing models.

With covid delaying new grow permits I see this lackluster supply and high pricing continuing for the reminder of this year.

Strech46290,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
When I talked to my BM guy this morning he said he really appreciates the efforts by the state and retail stores keeping him in business. While I don't think it is their intention, that is surely the result.

CybrGuy,
Reactions: Gunky

Gunky

llinois offering $31 million in cannabis tax revenue to repair drug war damage
Bruce BarcottJune 4, 2020

illinois-marijuana-expungement-3.jpg

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed one of the nation's most comprehensive and equity-forward marijuana legalization laws. (Ashlee Rezin Garcia/Chicago Sun-Times via AP)

As the United States undergoes nationwide unrest over police brutality and the systemic oppression of Black people, state officials in Illinois announced a small step of progress earlier this week.

On Tuesday, the state opened applications for its Restore, Reinvest, and Renew (R3) program, which will distribute $31.5 million in cannabis tax revenue to the communities hit hardest by the war on drugs. Application materials with instructions on how to apply are available here. The deadline for all applications is Monday, July 20, 2020.

The R3 program is one of the highest-profile examples of social equity being “baked in” to marijuana legalization proposals. It’s one of the reasons many legalization advocates look to the Illinois legalization law as one of the gold standards for states looking to make progress on the issue.

$25k to $850k for local programs

As to the program itself: The R3 project offers grants ranging from $25,000 to more than $850,000 to nonprofit organizations, local municipalities, and tax-exempt faith-based organizations based in or focused on designated R3 zones. These could be social service program, economic opportunity projects, or other similar proposals.

The R3 funds are meant to address five areas of concern: civil legal aid, economic development, reentry from the criminal justice system, violence prevention, and youth development.

“In developing these funding opportunities, the focus has been on equity in opportunity at the community level,” said Jason Stamps, acting director of the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority. “This program will start to close those gaps in areas most hard hit by gun violence, unemployment, and criminal justice system overuse. To do so, we are looking to R3 communities for proposals of programs and strategies they identify to best address their needs and challenges.”

See if your community qualifies

State officials have posted a helpful map highlighting the R3 zones. It’s zoomable and gets right down to street level. (Well done, Illinois.)

This is all made possible by the state’s cannabis law, which stipulates that 25 percent of tax revenue from marijuana sales must go to the R3 program.

“The R3 program is a critical step towards repairing the harms caused by the failed war on drugs and decades of economic disinvestment,” said Lt. Gov. Juliana Stratton (D), who was among the first customers to purchase cannabis when shops opened in January, said in a press release. “Equity is one of the administration’s core values, and we are ensuring that state funding reaches organizations doing critical work in neighborhoods most impacted by the war on drugs.”
This sounds good and yet you have to wonder about the idea of making whole the communities ravaged in drug wars past by taxing the crap out of current cannabis consumers. We're sorry we used to bust you for weed and now just to show you how sorry we are we are going to tax your cannabis purchases and use those taxes to make everything right for you... :thinker: Such generosity! I mean I suppose it's better than using cannabis tax revenue to buy military equipment for the cops...

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Were it not for the taxes, this would have never happened here. The ugly pricing we have is not due as much the taxes as it is to the ridiculous base price of product. The taxes are high, yes, but not as high as the product prices relative to other states. Those prices will eventually come down making the out the door price more reasonable. I hope. Time will tell.

All that being said I am very happy that the law built in efforts to do SOMETHING for the community. Few other states as similarly "generous". So far.

MinnBobber

Jesus. It would appear that supply and demand has Illinois customers completely by the balls. I was just looking to see what I might have to spend to get flower from my local dispensary and I was pretty stunned. Currently the only flower they have is Sour Diesel by the gram, at $24 ea. That would be $84 for an eighth. Before taxes or fees. I'm sorry, but that is fucking nuts.

Hey, only $648 / oz before taxes. ☹
And they wonder why the grey/black market continues.....

MinnBobber,

strech

Don't forget the pot is taxed at the wholesale level at 7%. This tax is included in the base price at the dispensary. Then you get to pay tax on the tax at time of purchase.

Glad I was able to get my medical card yesterday. Pretty easy process. Costly but easy.

Strech46290,

Gunky

Were it not for the taxes, this would have never happened here. The ugly pricing we have is not due as much the taxes as it is to the ridiculous base price of product. The taxes are high, yes, but not as high as the product prices relative to other states. Those prices will eventually come down making the out the door price more reasonable. I hope. Time will tell.

All that being said I am very happy that the law built in efforts to do SOMETHING for the community. Few other states as similarly "generous". So far.
I think I understand what you are saying but to me it would make a lot more sense to tax the crap out of those who prospered during those drug wars and use the proceeds to help the communities that were ravaged. Taxing those same communities that were ravaged (the people who sold and consumed drugs) in order to help them out smacks of generosity in the same way as "we're going out to dinner and by the way you are paying." It's a regressive tax.

Last edited:
Gunky,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Oh, it WOULD definitely make more sense AND be more fair. It's just not gonna happen.

This CAN happen, so I am glad it's happening. We'll see how it works out.

Added: The people who prospered the most were the cartels. If you can find a way to get them to pay up I'm all in.

CybrGuy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
State of Illinois announces permanent rules for Conditional Adult use Cannabis Dispensary Licenses tie breaking process

CHICAGO –The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) announced it has filed permanent rules for cannabis dispensary licensees to be selected when there are two or more applicants with tied high scores. The rules apply to applications that are tied for the last remaining license or licenses in a specific Bureau of Labor Statistics region. The rules will be available on the IDFPR website.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the adult-use cannabis dispensary license approval process has been unavoidably extended. IDFPR released emergency rules in December 2019 establishing procedures in the event of a tie between applicants. Due to the delay, those emergency rules will expire before the Department is able to announce the scoring results. As a result, IDFPR is filing permanent rules to ensure that the Department can use the tiebreaker procedures, if necessary.

“The Pritzker administration remains committed to protecting and pursuing diversity in the adult-use cannabis industry, despite the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. Governor Pritzker has made it clear the state’s new industry is about more than revenue, it’s about ensuring communities that have been left out and left behind have new opportunity,” said Toi Hutchinson, Senior Advisor for Cannabis Control to Gov. Pritzker. “These rules will allow IDFPR to continue the process of awarding licenses. We look forward to issuing licenses in the coming months and conducting the disparity study to determine if any additional equity measures need to be taken.”

The Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, the most equity-centric law in the country, aims to uplift and include communities that have been disproportionately impacted by the failed war on drugs in the state’s new adult-use cannabis industry. Under the law, over 700,000 records for cannabis arrests and convictions are eligible for expungement and Governor Pritzker has already expunged 11,017 convictions. A $30 million low-interest loan program was created for social equity entrepreneurs interested in joining the industry and all qualified social equity applicants received a 50% reduction in license application. After licenses are awarded, the State will conduct a disparity study to evaluate whether additional efforts are necessary to increase diversity in this newly legal industry.

CybrGuy,

strech

Illinois marijuana dispensaries recorded their best month of sales collectively in May after more than $44.3 million was spent on products last month.

The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation said Illinois residents spent $34.1 million on recreational marijuana, while out-of-state buyers spent $10.2 million.

Strech46290,
Top Bottom