Illinois and weed

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It looks like they are about to open one in my neighborhood, but until the prices come down it will just be a novelty.

cybrguy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Steady Marijuana Sales Mean Security For Illinois Cities With Dispensaries

By Eric Schmid 14 minutes ago

• Cannabis plants grow inside Ascend Illinois indoor facility in Barry, IL. Ascend owns two existing medical dispensaries and plans to open two additional recreational dispensaries early next year.
    Cannabis plants grow inside Ascend Illinois indoor facility in Barry, IL. Ascend owns Illinois Supply and Provisions in Collinsville, which is providing the city with solid revenue during the pandemic.
Collinsville’s marijuana dispensary is offering the city some insulation from economic damage caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Collinsville can depend on the sales tax revenue it collects from Illinois Supply and Provisions since cannabis sales in Illinois are not slowing down even during the coronavirus pandemic. The city currently collects a 2.25% sales tax on every recreational marijuana sale, and that will jump to 5.25% on July 1.

“It’s a backstop,” said Collinsville City Manager Mitch Bair. “This is a revenue source that has not been impacted and it’s actually gone up.”

In April dispensaries across the state sold $37 million of recreational cannabis, their second best month behind nearly $40 million in January when recreational marijuana became legal in the state. Illinois Supply and Provisions consistently sells the most of any dispensary in the state, between $4.5 and $5 million a month, Bair said.

He anticipates the city will bring in between $1.5 and $2 million this year just from taxes on marijuana sales. Originally that money was split between capital projects, like stormwater, street and other infrastructure improvements, and operations, Bair said.

“To help offset the cost of taking over the Gateway Convention Center and create a parks department,” he said. “In a normal period after this pandemic and even before this pandemic, it has the ability for us to go above and beyond and really transform some services we can offer the community.”

Now revenue from marijuana sales will go entirely to pay for the cost of operating services like police, fire, permitting and others that need to stay open, Bair explained.

“Being able to plug that gap is probably going to be the critical difference in, ‘Does that get us through, or do we have to furlough employees and not cut the grass at the parks?’” he said. “In times like this, it’s a really good safety net.”

Cities around the region, including Edwardsville, Fairview Heights and Belleville, have laid off workers, or considered doing so because of the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus. But Collinsville hasn’t had to make any of those decisions yet, thanks to its marijuana dispensary.

“It represents that ability for us to make sure we can really offset the drops in the other revenues, especially when we budgeted for half of it to go to capital projects,” Bair said.

Marijuana will likely take on a similar stabilizing role in budgeting at the state level, said Bethany Gomez, managing director of Brightfield Group, a market research firm focused on the legal cannabis industry.

“As the state starts to get COVID under control more, there will be a very distinct look at budgeting and a need for additional revenue sources,” she said. “People don’t want to go back to a black market environment and they certainly don’t want to sacrifice their tax revenue.”

Gomez expects legal marijuana will be one of the consistent revenue sources the state leans on and pushes to develop when its economy reopens.

“It’s a really big win for the industry that it has gone from illegal to essential in a matter of weeks,” she said.

It’s difficult to tell exactly how much sales tax revenue local cities are losing right now because the state processes the tax and then disburses money back to municipalities, Bair explained.

“The normal delay is about a month,” Bair said. “Right now the governor is allowing some businesses to defer their sales tax payments to the state and then the state’s delaying those payments to us.”

Even without the data, Bair expects the dispensary will be the city’s top single revenue generator ahead of the Laura Buick GMC dealership and a few big box stores.

“It’s pretty obvious that we’re going to see Illinois Supply and Provisions take that lead spot by a pretty wide margin,” he said. “We’re going to be closer to that $2 million mark for sure.”

CybrGuy,
Reactions: Magic9

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The excitement rises. My local pot store is scheduled to open Friday. Won't be able to afford it but it will be there when the prices eventually drop. I guess I'll have to buy something just so I can check it out...

CybrGuy,

strech

Not much to see at the shops here around Chicago. Everything is prepackaged and not much for displays. You can't smell or even see it before you buy it. As a rec user supply is even more limited and half the shops have closed rec sales due to covid19. They all seem to push you to get a med card. Had one "salesmen" even tell me everyone can get a medical card. Well not all of us are sick or in pain.

Still with taxes and the massive markup on items. I find it hard not to keep buying on the street. My street dealer sells me a oz from $140-$175. The dispensary close to me doesn't even have flower available for sale today. When they do you can buy a gram for $30.

Strech46290,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm paying almost twice your price from my guy also in Chi, but that is still half of the retail price in dispensaries. And the dispensaries have no incentive to lower prices. Maybe after the next (delayed) round of openings.

If you are geting top shelf for $140 in northern Illinois you are doing very well.

CybrGuy,

strech

This purple stuff was $160 seems to always be available late winter.

url=KIMG0695]
KIMG0695.jpg
[/url]

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So, my local Cannabis store was supposed to open on Friday and it didn't. And I don't seem to be able to find out why.

Help me Obi wan Kenobi, your my only hope...
3ccbaaa7609482dc231a8335d4f610e5.png

CybrGuy,

strech

Which store is your local one? I know by me moca, sunnyside, and medmen have been open. Both med and rec sales.

Strech46290,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It's a new Rise in Niles. It's not really urgent for me that it opens as prices will be to nutzo till next year at least. Still too few growers and too few retail stores in this state. I just like the idea of having one open nearby. And I'll allow them to take advantage of me for one cart to have something truly stealth when I need it. :ninja:

CybrGuy,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Which store is your local one? I know by me moca, sunnyside, and medmen have been open. Both med and rec sales.
I really don't know how MMen has been able to open new stores, much less stay in business. One of the historically worst stocks EVER!

FlyingLow,

strech

I really don't know how MMen has been able to open new stores, much less stay in business. One of the historically worst stocks EVER!
They seem to have a cheaper price on more items then say Sunnyside. But they never have flower.( I buy flower on the street) Concentrates have been limited to 1 gram per customer. Makes me have to go back too soon. Edibles only place I've found close to me that has 100mg for $20. A couple of time Sunnyside had the natures grace bars for $20 but they have been jacking prices on everything.

None of the dispensarys seem to be able to keep a steady stock of concentrates or cheap edibles. Which is the only thing I buy from the store.

Strech46290,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, the sucker has finally opened. As expected, prices are kinda nuts. .5G cart of distillate for example for $65. That is $87.91 after taxes.
Ouch.
At least it opened.

CybrGuy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The taxes are certainly what got this law through the legislature as quickly as it did, so I guess we shouldn't complain too much. Like I say when I buy a lotto ticket, someone has to pay for govt services.

CybrGuy,

strech

Not complaining yet. I would like some kind of bulk or wholesale prices at some point. I don't like getting nickel and dimed for grams. Package an 8th for concentrates and make the price reasonable I'll be happy.

Strech46290,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I absolutely hear ya. The base prices before tax are nuts.
I don't expect much improvement on that until next year tho. There aren't enough growers or retail stores, and that is by design.

CybrGuy,

strech

It will be more then a year before we see prices coming down. More like 3-5 before the market normalizes.

Strech46290,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
That wouldn't surprise me at all. The lines and stock shortages show that the prices aren't hurting them much. I haven't talked to many BM guys, but I would think these prices assure their ability to stay in biz.

CybrGuy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
That wouldn't surprise me at all. The lines and stock shortages show that the prices aren't hurting them much. I haven't talked to many BM guys, but I would think these prices assure their ability to stay in biz.

CybrGuy,

strech

Only thing I get BM is flower. I don't trust much else off the street. Even more so after that whole vape cart sickness deal.

Strech46290,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Other than one gram of crumble I got when legal first opened here, all I ever buy is flower. I WILL pick up a cart of oil probably sometime soon just because the few times I tried it I liked it and it is a stealthy way to buzz, but it's current prices put it out of reach for me. I have ordered a battery just so I have it when I do get a cart.

CybrGuy,
Top Bottom