I plan to buy a Dynavap, do I need an adapter to use it with my bong?

Can someone please tell me which models of Dynavap require a water pipe adapter to use with a bong and which do not? I'm a total newbie, never vaped, never even seen a vape, but need one ASAP (nausea from a medication) and have received conflicting answers to this question. I know the Dynavap is a popular brand, and I believe it would work well for my purposes. I need it to go through water, since I'm a light user and hate coughing.

Also, to get started, all I need is the vape and a lighter to heat it with, right? (Plus my bong and weed of course!)

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, the thread about portable vapes is locked to me.

Queen of the Microdose,

Hippie

Welcome aboard :wave:

Depends on the size of the inlet on your bong
The M and Omni Vapcaps have a 10mm taper on the mouthpiece
It's all modular tho and Dynavap make Vong bodies (Vapcap on glass) that have a 14mm fitting
Or you can just wrap something around the body to make it fit (hookah grommets, silicone tube ...)

Here's the dedicated thread for the Vapcap

You want a blue flame lighter for the vapcap
There's a thread just for that too

coolbreeze

Can someone please tell me which models of Dynavap require a water pipe adapter to use with a bong and which do not? I'm a total newbie, never vaped, never even seen a vape, but need one ASAP (nausea from a medication) and have received conflicting answers to this question. I know the Dynavap is a popular brand, and I believe it would work well for my purposes. I need it to go through water, since I'm a light user and hate coughing.

Also, to get started, all I need is the vape and a lighter to heat it with, right? (Plus my bong and weed of course!)

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, the thread about portable vapes is locked to me.
Welcome aboard :wave:

Depends on the size of the inlet on your bong
The M and Omni Vapcaps have a 10mm taper on the mouthpiece
It's all modular tho and Dynavap make Vong bodies (Vapcap on glass) that have a 14mm fitting
Or you can just wrap something around the body to make it fit (hookah grommets, silicone tube ...)

Here's the dedicated thread for the Vapcap

You want a blue flame lighter for the vapcap
There's a thread just for that too
If money's not an issue, get the Vong, either the Vong(i) or the Cocobolo Vong. Either will fit both a 10mm female bong joint and a 14mm female bong joint. Both are made of titanium, are durable, work well, have adjustable air intake, and are built for bongs. I have many vapes and use my Vong every day, even more than my M or Omni. All can adjust to a half-bowl setting for low-dosing.

If money's tight, get an M and a BB6 stem, or if money's really tight, an M and a Bonger. These are both solid options, but the Vong's awesome. (I've included the complete M in both suggestions so you'll have a vape when your glass breaks; or in the other case, you'll have both a bong vape and a hand vape. Also, the M bowl makes it worlds better than the B, though the B's silicone body's kind of nice.)

I would also get a good cheap, single-flame pocket torch, and a stash case with a magnet. You should train yourself to set your DV down on a magnet after every hit to avoid the most common source of combustion, forgetting to wait for the cooldown clicks! You'll need ISO to clean with and highly filtered, high quality butane to preserve your torch. And patience! The DV has a reputation for having a learning curve, and it's true, sort of. But watch some youtubes and practice some dry-runs or with CBD flower so you can see how varying your heating affects it. Chances are you will have no trouble getting it working well.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for these detailed response. One hesitation I have about titanium is that I have seen people on here complaining of a metallic smell/taste. Is an all glass vapor path be better? Is there such a thing (not in the DV obviously, but perhaps others?)

Queen of the Microdose,
Reactions: coolbreeze

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Thank you so much for these detailed response. One hesitation I have about titanium is that I have seen people on here complaining of a metallic smell/taste. Is an all glass vapor path be better? Is there such a thing (not in the DV obviously, but perhaps others?)
There are all glass, 3rd party dynavap stems where the only metal piece is the cap. The OG OG dynavap stems were like this as well but they're hard to come by.

Wishing you the best of luck!

coolbreeze

I haven't had any flavor issues at all with the metal. Some people are allergic to Ti, but I don't think it's common. Glass is indeed better for flavor and the dimpled stems cool really well on their own. If you go the glass route, back yourself up with a metal (or wooden) stem and choose the BB6 or BB9 as they will both fit 10mm and 14mm joints. Ed's Tnt make some really nice glass Water Pipe Adapters for DV tips in 10, 14, and 18mm. The Stainless Steel M bowl will probably be most neutral. Edit: What I mean by this is not that the Ti has a flavor, but that the Ti is more sensitive and easier to get a scorched flavor. The M tip is more forgiving. That being said, people use the standard Ti tips for flavor chasing because it generally produces better flavor, you just have to be a little more careful in your torching. The Omni and Vong Ti tips are more massive and hold heat better, but they're not immune.

I'd recommend caution with the all-glass DVs or bowls, as above. DV was selling them recently and had to stop because the bowls were chipping.

Edit 2: Lots of great glass out there: Sneaky Pete's got nice cheap glass for DVs, O'Connell Woodworks does as well, including Ol' Stubby and the inception stem (and the Inception J-hook is exceptional for dry cooling, just drop your Vong or glass WPA in there and it's cool sailing). Check out Good Vibes Boro and Rogue Wax Works for glass cooling stems, as well. I thin you'd be surprised how well some of these stems cool--you may not always need to use the bong.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
Reactions: Petetbay

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Thank you so much for these detailed response. One hesitation I have about titanium is that I have seen people on here complaining of a metallic smell/taste.

Nope! False! Some people may detect a slightly inferior vapor flavour from the stainless steel version, but that'sit.

AFAIK all Dynavaps will fit either a 10mm or 14mm joint so you may need a cheap glass adapter. The Dynavap is awesome, don't hesitate. Get the small wooden case for it if you can too, and definitely some spare screens.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

I haven't seen any of those complaints with the titanium tips, only the stainless steel ones.

There are also complaints of flavor degradation with a dirty Dynavap regardless of type of metal. So keep it clean. On a freshly cleaned titanium tip DV, all I taste is my flower.

Last edited:
Spoke yesterday to Tessa at Dynavap and she encouraged me to get the B, since my consumption is low. But that could change when I have an alternative to inhaling smoke.

I appreciate all the informative comments! Glad to hear that titanium doesn't taste bad. Can the same be said for silicone?

Queen of the Microdose,

coolbreeze

Spoke yesterday to Tessa at Dynavap and she encouraged me to get the B, since my consumption is low. But that could change when I have an alternative to inhaling smoke.

I appreciate all the informative comments! Glad to hear that titanium doesn't taste bad. Can the same be said for silicone?
The B is fine, but I really don't like the bowl. I find that it has a metallic flavor none of the others have and I don't know why. I do like the silicone body, but if you get one, I'd recommend getting an M or Ti bowl--either is better as a replacement. All of the current bowls can be set to a half-bowl setting, making the B bowl redundant. I offer this advice unless you're really on the fence about whether you'd like a Dynvap at all. If you're very unsure, the B's the cheapest way to find out.

Also, the Bonger will let you use your bowl directly into water in each of the 3 common bong sizes. The B will do 10mm only. The Bonger's a little short to spin--it's probably made with an Induction Heater in mind--but you can do a full rock for even heat with it just fine.

Finally, a B will not fit a stash box, an M will. Important if you want to carry it, and a magnet is essential in any case. Most of the people who abandon their DV do so because they can't heat it well, and part of that is combusting. The less you combust, the less you'll hate your experience, and having a magnet to set it down on to cool between hits is the best way to prevent combusting.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
Reactions: GoldenBud

GoldenBud

The B is fine, but I really don't like the bowl. I find that it has a metallic flavor none of the others have and I don't know why. I do like the silicone body, but if you get one, I'd recommend getting an M or Ti bowl--either is better as a replacement. All of the current bowls can be set to a half-bowl setting, making the B bowl redundant. I offer this advice unless you're really on the fence about whether you'd like a Dynvap at all. If you're very unsure, the B's the cheapest way to find out.

Also, the Bonger will let you use your bowl directly into water in each of the 3 common bong sizes.
agree, B+ Ti tip will be great.

agree, B+ Ti tip will be great.

Also, the Bonger will let you use your bowl directly into water in each of the 3 common bong sizes. The B will do 10mm only. The Bonger's a little short to spin--it's probably made with an Induction Heater in mind--but you can do a full rock for even heat with it just fine.

Finally, a B will not fit a stash box, an M will. Important if you want to carry it, and a magnet is essential in any case. Most of the people who abandon their DV do so because they can't heat it well, and part of that is combusting. The less you combust, the less you'll hate your experience, and having a magnet to set it down on to cool between hits is the best way to prevent combusting.
So the bowls for the various DV models are all interchangeable?

Yeah, that's why Tessa recommended the B, because the bowl is smaller. I really only need 3-4 inhalations to get where I'm going (that's smoke, not vapor) and she said I can get that from a B, whereas a Vong would be more like 8 inhalations per bowl, with some of them tasting stale at the end.

Is the Bonger a Dynavap model?

I don't know what you mean by "directly into water." How is that different than using it with a bong?

No, I'm not on the fence about getting a Dynavap, and price isn't the main consideration. I looked first at the Taffee Bowl, but it hasn't been available for quite a while now, and it is super expensive.

This is probably the first time in my life I've bought something online, sight unseen, that I've never used. Tessa said they have a return policy, so if I screw up badly, I'll return it.

The key considerations for me are:
  • I always (so far) smoke at home by myself, so portability not important, although for traveling a portable option would be nice.
  • As my name say, I micro-dose. No tolerance at all.
  • Not a regular user, so my lungs never acclimate and are easily irritated. Hence my assumption that I will continue to want to filter through water when I upgrade from smoke to vapor.
  • I almost always smoke (soon to be vape) late at night when I'm trying to sleep, so ease of use for a half-awake person is important. Nothing complicated or tricky.
Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Last edited:
Queen of the Microdose,
Reactions: Old Moderate

Old Moderate

I think one has to also mention the FMJ (full metal jacket), which is just $10 and makes heating as easy as pie and also stores all the heat needed for a sesh with the DV. I use it with an M and a half-bowl converter from sneakypete to micro-dose on a single heat-up. I can get a nice thick one-hit cloud out of only 0.01g (10 micro-g) of herb with that setup. Probably the FMJ with the B would work similarly and if you leave the airport wide open the hit is super easy on the throat.

Old Moderate,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Nope. I am not sure what silicone you refer to but you don't really want silicone in the vapor pathway. Even if it doesn't affect flavour straight away, it will soon enough and cleaning it is not easy. The Dynavap designs i have seen only have a few silicone rings away from the hot airpath.

Haze Mister,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
AH i hadn't seen that one, not a huge problem, that is not really in the hot air path. There is a stainless steel inner tube ("condenser") that delivers the vapor from the tip to your mouth . And you can change both to titanium I believe. It runs all the way to the tip with a very small gap between the two tubes, through which you get cold air coming in from the air port on the silicone sleeve, mixing with the hot vapor and preventing the user from coughing their lungs out :)

It is worth paying the extra for the wooden sleeves and titanium tips. The titanium cools down faster, is taste-neutral and transmits less heat to the rest of the piece. I dislike metal in my mouth so the all wooden sleeved version ( i think Hydravong ) has been a real treat for me.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

So the bowls for the various DV models are all interchangeable?
Yes. All the bowls will fit all the stems, and all the current bowls can be set to half-bowl (the B bowl is only half-bowl, it has no full setting). I use a Vong bowl set to half on my B stem and M bowls on my Vongs.

Yeah, that's why Tessa recommended the B, because the bowl is smaller. I really only need 3-4 inhalations to get where I'm going (that's smoke, not vapor) and she said I can get that from a B, whereas a Vong would be more like 8 inhalations per bowl, with some of them tasting stale at the end.
True enough, but the Vong bowl can also be set to half-size, so it only gives ~4 hits. And so can the M bowl, the Omni bowl, and the standard Ti bowl. But only the B bowl is limited to half-bowl.
Is the Bonger a Dynavap model?
Yes, it is a silicone-bodied water pipe adapter for $15:

I don't know what you mean by "directly into water." How is that different than using it with a bong?
I mean you put your bowl on the bonger and put the bonger into your pipe directly, same really as you would with a vong or a BB. It's just the cheapest route to water and it fits all 3 common joint sizes.

No, I'm not on the fence about getting a Dynavap, and price isn't the main consideration. I looked first at the Taffee Bowl, but it hasn't been available for quite a while now, and it is super expensive.

This is probably the first time in my life I've bought something online, sight unseen, that I've never used. Tessa said they have a return policy, so if I screw up badly, I'll return it.
I don't think you will, and any problem you have will be common to all and any of them: learning to torch it well. It's not really hard to do so don't be discouraged, watch some youtubes, and you'll get it.

The B is a nice little starter DV, but it's really for people who can't afford more at the time; those who don't know if they'll like it; and aficionados who want to try the form, like me. I would get the B if you like the B, but consider an extra bowl of another type. I would get one from the start to ensure a better initial experience. And with money not an issue, the Vong's still optimum.

The key considerations for me are:
  • I always (so far) smoke at home by myself, so portability not important, although for traveling a portable option would be nice.
  • As my name say, I micro-dose. No tolerance at all.
  • Not a regular user, so my lungs never acclimate and are easily irritated. Hence my assumption that I will continue to want to filter through water when I upgrade from smoke to vapor.
  • I almost always smoke (soon to be vape) late at night when I'm trying to sleep, so ease of use for a half-awake person is important. Nothing complicated or tricky.
Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Hmmm. Well, you might consider a Vapman, those are wonderful. They're known as the flavor chaser's vape AND the microdoser's vape (it's also a go-to hash vape). Despite the size, the vapor's a pleasant temp, and there are water pipe adapters available for them. They're sort of ideal for someone like you as the vapor is nice and not hot and it tends to be more sips than giant hits. The Vapman often fits 14mm female bong joints, so you may be able to use it with yours with no adapter, etc. They're also torch-driven but there will be a new electric heating station for those sometime this summer, probably. (the Stations have been available in the past and occasionally come up for sale used.)

I can't recommend Vapman enough, but I wouldn't discourage DV, either. I use both regularly and have enjoyed both for years. They are both go-to mini-dosers for me.

Last edited:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
What is OG OG?
By "OG OG" I mean the very old glass dynavaps. It's easier to just buy the glass add a cap from Sneakypete. I've linked you to a standalone add a cap with dimples for cooling but they also sell 14mm versions that slot right into your bong.

Hmmm. Well, you might consider a Vapman, those are wonderful. They're known as the flavor chaser's vape AND the microdoser's vape (it's also a go-to hash vape). Despite the size, the vapor's a pleasant temp, and there are water pipe adapters available for them. They're sort of ideal for someone like you as the vapor is nice and not hot and it tends to be more sips than giant hits.
I didn't even think about rec'ing the vapman but yeah that's a great option for them. Good thinking!

coolbreeze

I mean the very old glass dynavaps.
DpLY65pXUAIWAlD

*Not sure how original; this was on DV's twitter from a special re-release ca 2018.

coolbreeze

@Queen of the Microdose , here's a wonderful Dynavap just for you. It's a re-release of one of the first wooden Dynavap Vongs made, and it has a 2019 Stainless M bowl in Rosium. It does not have a half-bowl setting, but you can get any of the newer ones if you really need that feature. It's only available for the rest of today, Sunday, and then the Vault closes again:

It's a classic piece, well worth the cash and just what you're looking for.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Vapetothegrave

Vape2thegrave
Company Rep
@Queen of the Microdose , here's a wonderful Dynavap just for you. It's a re-release of one of the first wooden Dynavap Vongs made, and it has a standard Ti bowl in Rosium. It's only available for the rest of today, Sunday, and then the Vault closes again:

It's a classic piece, well worth the cash and just what you're looking for.
that tip is stainless steel BTW not TI.

Vapetothegrave,

coolbreeze

that tip is stainless steel BTW not TI.
Thanks, just saw and corrected that. It's a 2019 SS so she'd get a classic bowl that's otherwise unavailable--a great deal really.

I'd also recommend a standard Ti bowl and a low-temp cap for @Queen of the Microdose so she can more easily regulate her temperatures and dose size, and also so she doesn't need to torch her rosium cap (I'd save that for when she inevitably gets an IH).
IMG-3769.jpg

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
Top Bottom