I just saw the moon

snaffle

One of the many fun things about JWST is that thanks to it I've learned about Lagrange points. And I have to say I'm quite partial to L4 & L5. No adjustments needed to stay there, what's not to like? I mean sure, the instruments on JWST would be useless thanks to the sun, and the chances of a catastrophic asteroid impact would be much higher as asteroids like the points too, but hey, nothing's perfect, right?

stark1

Lonesome Planet
You may then want to visit Jupiter’s L4 & L5.
As a Trojan, you may find similar minded asteroids hanging out there, both
The leading, and the trailing, resonating in Jupiter’s orbit. Ocassionally, one is kicked out. Sometimes in an
Earth-bound trajectory.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
This is probably my favorite Falcon launch (besides Falcon Heavy) because at about T+ 2:25 the ground cameras caught the MECO, separation, and flip back and boost back burn of the first stage as it heads back to landing zone one for recovery. We know it's been happening of course, but this is the first time I have seen it.

JOHN GALT

JWST turns on cameras to look at first star target​

Spacecraft controllers have begun powering up the four cutting-edge instruments on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope as they prepare for the observatory's first glimpses of a target star.

That star, called HD 84406, is located 241 light-years from Earth and part of the constellation Ursa Major, the Great Bear. The images will not be used for science, but will help the ground teams align the 18 golden segments of Webb's 21-foot-wide (6.5 meters) main mirror.

The images will be taken by Webb's Near Infrared Camera (NIRCam), which first has to cool down to its operational temperature of minus 244 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 153 degrees Celsius).

stark1

Lonesome Planet
What on earth....

Recent satellite imaging has revealed a “new” catagory of lightning over the planet. Long
Range cloud to cloud Megaflashes (over 50 mile span).

In 2020, one was recorded travelling almost 500 (477) miles, or 768 km, from Texas, across Louisiana, and over Mississippi !

Previously, the 2nd longest imaged was in 2016, travelling from the Altantic east coast of Brazil,
To Argentina with a 440 mile (709 km) trajectory.

Longest distance, and longest time, strikes over the Southern hemisphere

Thanks to new imaging technology we can now see the “new” kid on the block, cloud to cloud horizontal long range lightning on planet Earth.

Who knew.

Last edited:

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Just love this shot .... M104 Sombrero Galaxy from the Hubble Telescope

20220208-114836.jpg

snaffle

@Planck, you should enjoy video of the starlink satellites reentering, then :)

SpaceX are doing a presentation on their next generation rocket Starship and the Super Heavy Booster tonight, in preparation for which they have stacked them on top of each other using their fancy new tower for the first time (video is timelapse):

I do hope the Starship program lives up to the hype, if it does then we should get much cheaper access to space, so many more cool and experimental research missions should be able to fly.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Nevermind that what he is doing is among the most difficult things ever done. Nevermind that there is no playbook and he is making it up out of whole cloth. Nevermind that he is so far ahead of anyone else around the world and he is doing things our own government (NASA) gave up trying to do. After all, he is nothing but a piece of shit conman. Nevermind. It's just rocket science, after all.

Top Bottom