• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

I just saw the moon

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

With Virtual Reality, you can be in the International Space Station. It is most stoney.

Last edited:

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
To some, it may look like a beehive. In reality, the featured image from the Hubble Space Telescope captures a cosmic pillar of dust, over two-light years long, inside of which is Herbig-Haro 666 -- a young star emitting powerful jets. The structure lies within one of our galaxy's largest star forming regions, the Carina Nebula, shining in southern skies at a distance of about 7,500 light-years. The pillar's layered outline are shaped by the winds and radiation of Carina's young, hot, massive stars, some of which are still forming inside the nebula. A dust-penetrating view in infrared light better shows the two, narrow, energetic jets blasting outward from a still hidden infant star.
CUN42Hd.jpg

Comet Leonard is now visible to the unaided eye -- but just barely. Passing nearest to the Earth today, the comet is best seen this week soon after sunset, toward the west, low on the horizon. Currently best visible in the north, by late December the comet will best be seen from south of Earth's equator. The featured image of Comet C/2021 A1 (Leonard) was taken a week ago from California, USA. The deep exposure shows in great detail the comet's green gas coma and developing dust tail. The comet -- across our inner Solar System and only light-minutes away -- was captured passing nearly in front of globular star cluster M3. In contrast, M3 is about 35,000 light-years away. In a week, Comet Leonard will pass unusually close to Venus, but will continue on and be at its closest to the Sun in early January.
GFkWan4.jpg

Few were able to stand in the Moon's shadow and watch the December 4 total eclipse of the Sun. Determined by celestial mechanics and not geographical boundaries, the narrow path of totality tracked across planet Earth's relatively inaccessible southernmost continent. Still, some enthusiastic and well-insulated eclipse chasers were rewarded with the dazzling spectacle in Antarctica's cold but clear skies. Taken just before the brief totality began, this image from a ground-based telescope inside the edge of the shadow path at Union Glacier catches a glimmer of sunlight near the top of the silhouetted lunar disk. Look closely for the pinkish solar prominences arcing above the Sun's limb. During totality, the magnificent solar corona, the Sun's outer atmosphere, made its much anticipated appearance, seen in the composite view streaming far from the Sun's edge.
3203YM8.jpg

What's that unusual spot on the Moon? It's the International Space Station. Using precise timing, the Earth-orbiting space platform was photographed in front of a partially lit gibbous Moon last month. The featured composite, taken from Payson, Arizona, USA last month, was intricately composed by combining, in part, many 1/2000-second images from a video of the ISS crossing the Moon. A close inspection of this unusually crisp ISS silhouette will reveal the outlines of numerous solar panels and trusses. The bright crater Tycho is visible on the upper left, as well as comparatively rough, light colored terrain known as highlands, and relatively smooth, dark colored areas known as maria. On-line tools can tell you when the International Space Station will be visible from your area.
GOMQIX8.jpg

Grand spiral galaxies often seem to get all the glory, flaunting their young, bright, blue star clusters in beautiful, symmetric spiral arms. But small galaxies form stars too, like nearby NGC 6822, also known as Barnard's Galaxy. Beyond the rich starfields in the constellation Sagittarius, NGC 6822 is a mere 1.5 million light-years away, a member of our Local Group of galaxies. A dwarf irregular galaxy similar to the Small Magellanic Cloud, NGC 6822 is about 7,000 light-years across. Brighter foreground stars in our Milky Way have a spiky appearance. Behind them, Barnard's Galaxy is seen to be filled with young blue stars and mottled with the telltale pinkish hydrogen glow of star forming regions in this deep color composite image.
wkSALtq.jpg

This image from ESO’s La Silla Observatory shows part of a stellar nursery nicknamed the Seagull Nebula. This cloud of gas, known as Sh 2-292, RCW 2 and Gum 1, seems to form the head of the seagull and glows brightly due to the energetic radiation from a very hot young star lurking at its heart. The detailed view was produced by the Wide Field Imager on the MPG/ESO 2.2-metre telescope.
OZdFUid.jpg

This image of the region of sky around the Pencil Nebula shows a spectacular celestial landscape featuring the blue filaments of the Vela supernova remnant, the red glow of clouds of hydrogen and countless stars. It is a color composite made from exposures from the Digitized Sky Survey 2.
MDZrsuk.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

The good news, it seems to me, is that the delays we have seen recently have been a couple days each rather than weeks or months. Hopefully this launch will still get off before the end of the year, or maybe early in January. I will continue to think positively...

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Two sucessful launches by SpaceX today inside of 18 hours. One from Vandenerg and one from Space Coast. The 99th recovery of the booster. And another cargo mission to the ISS on Tuesday. SpaceX seems to be getting all the marbles into the right holes. You have to be impressed. Or at least I do.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
344 single point of failure items. 144 release mechanisms that all have to work perfectly.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I thought weather would have kept this mornings CRS-24 cargo launch from getting off, but getting off was what it did. :cool:

Actual launch is at about 26:50

BTW, I thought I would add that with this launch SpaceX has now landed 100 boosters for reuse...

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I fell asleep but I was able to watch it this AM. It's gonna be a while before we get to see anything, assuming everything works, so it is a little anticlimactic, but we are way closer to this eventuality than we have ever been. Much of the scary is now behind us. But the unfurling of the mirrors is the really big deal and I don't think there will be any cameras to show it's success or failure, just data. Hang on everybody. :nod:

Top Bottom