Discontinued Hopper io

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
Hi guys, I have an order for a grey IO - however have been 'in progress' for a while now. Have emailed them for an update and offered to change to plain if it helps speed things up.

Anyone had a similar experience? Am a bit worried, as its been a while! :|

Order was placed 4/2/2021

Hi

I just ordered recently and the website indicated October shipping. Have you asked them and what do they say?

madhockeydad,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Anyone had a similar experience? Am a bit worried, as its been a while! :|

Order was placed 4/2/2021
Delivery on color Ti has been meager all year.
Be persistent in telling them you want to change to plain Ti and, I believe, you'll get an io a lot sooner.

And isn't it frustrating to consider that HL has run multiple promotional campaigns, like, 20% off everything, since you placed your order at full retail. I would make hay of that.

Hi

I just ordered recently and the website indicated October shipping. Have you asked them and what do they say?
Delivery projections are strictly fictitious; any correlation to the real world are purely coincidental.

Hi

Delivery on color Ti has been meager all year.
Be persistent in telling them you want to change to plain Ti and, I believe, you'll get an io a lot sooner.

And isn't it frustrating to consider that HL has run multiple promotional campaigns, like, 20% off everything, since you placed your order at full retail. I would make hay of that.

Delivery projections are strictly fictitious; any correlation to the real world are purely coincidental.

Thanks for the reply guys, have suggested I would be happy to take a plain TI to speed things up. Hopefully they get back to me at some point next week.

I actually forgot I had ordered a hopper until the other day, to the point of almost ordering another, so havent been stressed! :)

The device looks fantastic from all the reading I have done and I just want to get one in my hands as swiftly as possible.

Question to current owners, am coming from a Crafty, which whilst a great device needs loads of hits to clear a bowl; so whats the least amount of hits the hopper can clear a bowl on and what temp is best for doing so efficiently? Also going straight to max temp more efficient or is temp stepping more efficient?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thanks for the reply guys, have suggested I would be happy to take a plain TI to speed things up. Hopefully they get back to me at some point next week.

I actually forgot I had ordered a hopper until the other day, to the point of almost ordering another, so havent been stressed! :)

The device looks fantastic from all the reading I have done and I just want to get one in my hands as swiftly as possible.

Question to current owners, am coming from a Crafty, which whilst a great device needs loads of hits to clear a bowl; so whats the least amount of hits the hopper can clear a bowl on and what temp is best for doing so efficiently? Also going straight to max temp more efficient or is temp stepping more efficient?
# of hits will depend on your fortitude and what you find to work best for you. Some legends can do it in one long draw through a water piece at full temp. Others temp-step and drag it our for 10 or 12. I'm usually in the middle of that range somewhere. Be prepared for a real treat with convection compared to the Crafty (a great device in its own right).

JBone65

Have emailed them for an update and offered to change to plain if it helps speed things up.
I have not had a similar problem so don't know the right answer. Did you email HL support, put the order number or whatever in the subject line? Don't know if there's any other way to get their attention before registering a device and communicating thru an official warranty request. If you can get their attention somehow they should be willing to switch to whatever is in stock today. Can't understand why they'd offer so many different colors if they didn't have the inventory or timely production capability. My plain old SS io is coming up on a year old. It's solid gold as far as I'm concerned. It pays for itself in terms of outright efficiency (usage reduction) every few months, then there's the health, stealth and convenience aspects - all gravy.

Step it up from 1 to 5 for maximum effect. It still produces more than one can absorb on each setting. IMO going straight to maximum will waste it with impressive clouds. If the goal is to get high, I recommend trying to get as much as possible in your bloodstream, brain, etc.

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Quick question: does the screen in the IO’s native mouthpiece come out by unscrewing it? Mines stuck and I have fine point tweezers which I bought particularly for thr OG’s native mouthpiece which I’ve removed once or twice over its lifetime. My IO frontend must have something stuck in the screen thread or cone part, and I’ve soaked it in ISO overnight recently and doing so again today; it still gets hot in the frontend unlike it did for its first 11 months. It was working nearly flawlessly for 11 months but now it’s too hot, and the body and backend are fairly normal and warm, not hot. If the screen can come out, is it by screw (clockwise or counterclockwise) or another method? :peace: :peace:

JBone65

Quick question: does the screen in the IO’s native mouthpiece come out by unscrewing it?
Haven't had the screen out of my IO mouthpiece, but I remember the OG screen just clipped in. It had little tabs or ears that fit into a slot, I think. I accidentally snagged it with a toothpick and spun it out (??), or maybe I pushed on it too hard. It didn't take much force, was surprised it came out while scraping. Can't remember exactly what caused it to come out but I remember it snapped back in place fairly easily.

Last edited:
JBone65,

Vaporific

Haven't had the screen out of my IO mouthpiece, but I remember the OG screen just clipped in. It had little tabs or ears that fit into a slot, I think. I accidentally snagged it with a toothpick and spun it out (??), or maybe I pushed on it too hard. It didn't take much force, was surprised it came out while scraping. Can't remember exactly what caused it to come out but I remember it snapped back in place fairly easily.
My OG’s screen screws out (and in) hence needing to get fine point tweezers, which I’ve used a couple of times to take it out and many times to simply tighten it. If it’s too loose the frontend won’t screw on all the way leaving a gap between the frontend and body (been there done that many times with the OG - nary a similar issue with my IO though). It may snap in at the beginning but I know the OG frontend screen can be screwed out or in. The IO I’m not sure of. It’s soaking again now but I think I need to get the screen out for optimal cleaning. Thoughts? :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don't think they changed the front end very much one model to the next.
I think they may have found a way to snug the screen in more during manufacture, maybe getting it in simply tighter or somehow 'locking the threads(I think that very unlikely). It rides in the same threads that hold front end to body. Having a clip system there would risk ruining the threadway.
I think it will unscrew and back out, just takes more do-ing.

ondemander

I burnt the inside of my upper lip a bit using my Hopper IO in the club in a slightly inebriated state. I rarely use the PFE natively to my lips and didn't realize how freaking hot it gets. I now have some sort of heat blister inside my upper lip in my mouth. Careful out there with these.

Vaporific

Is it plugged up with resin? Can you see daylight when looking thru the big end of the mouthpiece toward a light source?
Maybe in the threads or however the screen is attached, but the rest is very clean. I soaked it the first time in 91% ISO overnight last week and doing so again now. Not sure how the screen comes out. I’ll try again after its current bath. The IO native frontend is hotter now than its ever been. :hmm::peace:

Vaporific,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Maybe in the threads or however the screen is attached, but the rest is very clean. I soaked it the first time in 91% ISO overnight last week and doing so again now. Not sure how the screen comes out. I’ll try again after its current bath. The IO native frontend is hotter now than its ever been. :hmm::peace:
I have posted pictures in this thread (this year?) of a disassembled std. front end.

I described that there is a separate cone-shaped copper shield nestled into the cone of the front end. You cannot see it or the stuff it is trapping without removing to inspect the area covered by it in normal use. It is held in place by the screen.

You should def try the front from you og, if it's not giving you trouble on the one, well...you might get some useful feedback.

Edit
Found it. Post in thread 'Hopper io' https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/hopper-io.46246/post-1573324

Last edited:

JBone65

I looked at the pictures of the mouthpiece screen again. My recollection was way off. I now see I've never taken a mouthpiece apart. By process of elimination, I must have accidentally removed the screen next to the heater.

tykb

Is it safe to use a third-party 18650 charger with the GH batteries? I tried to search the thread but only found passing mentions of doing so.. My mag charger is dying and it's already my 2nd one to do so, and I'm really not wanting to give GH another $40 for a proprietary mag charger that won't last... I have a cheap 18650 charger, but the length is too long to fit the GH batteries.. can I put some foil in the gap and safely charge my battery? Or is there another recommended 3rd party external charger or charging method?
(edit: was able to stretch out the metal spring to get the GHB to fit with contact on both ends, now my only question is if it will work safely)

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Is it safe to use a third-party 18650 charger with the GH batteries? I tried to search the thread but only found passing mentions of doing so.. My mag charger is dying and it's already my 2nd one to do so, and I'm really not wanting to give GH another $40 for a proprietary mag charger that won't last... I have a cheap 18650 charger, but the length is too long to fit the GH batteries.. can I put some foil in the gap and safely charge my battery? Or is there another recommended 3rd party external charger or charging method?
(edit: was able to stretch out the metal spring to get the GHB to fit with contact on both ends, now my only question is if it will work safely)
Yeah it should work, although if it's a fast charger it may not be ideally suited. It will do the job though

Momor

I burnt the inside of my upper lip a bit using my Hopper IO in the club in a slightly inebriated state. I rarely use the PFE natively to my lips and didn't realize how freaking hot it gets. I now have some sort of heat blister inside my upper lip in my mouth. Careful out there with these.
I prefer using the regular front end natively. I find the PFE to be a lot hotter and quicker.
I also find the vapor heat coming from the regular front end more manageable :2c:

My new SS finally made it to the U.K, man usps are slow at the moment!

Respect to HL who remembered to mark my order value as $50 meaning there was no custom charge like the £60 for my purple unit, they also threw in a PFE and 2 extra batteries even tho I ordered a week before the flash sale.. very happy

JBone65

What acessories do you guys reccomend?
Have been using a GH since 2016 with no accessories. It works fine as designed for occasional personal use, and it fits easily in your pocket. Lots of folks complain about the mouthpiece but I like that as well. Depending on the temp setting and the freshness of the load, and the temperature feedback thru your lips, you know instinctively when to shut it off and cool it down. It'll keep hitting for a second or two after you shut it off. Between routinely cooling it down and the small opening in the tip, the thing is nearly odor free. Haven't seen any accessories that will improve my performance or efficiency. I have a spare battery but never need it.

Vaporific

Have been using a GH since 2016 with no accessories. It works fine as designed for occasional personal use, and it fits easily in your pocket.
Ditto except I use mine almost daily. I have few accessories: extra batts, external battery charger, cleaning vial from HL for the frontends (native and PFE), 2nd gen leather sleeve from HL, and original leather case from Ratchett on the Delta3DStudios site. That’s it. I load by hand, always. Use the 1st gen mag charger in my car and the one from the IO stays at home. Simplistic and minimalistic for me; I’m a BIG native user and seldom go through filtration though I do have accessories and several small and large glass options should the occasion arise. :peace:

Mr. Me2

Hopper have promptly replied and have agreed to swap to a plain TI, so will be joining the cult of Hopper soon! Really excited about this vape. :D

What acessories do you guys reccomend? Have the following so far:

The gh stand is a must. I use my finger wrapped around the gh as a funnel but you may want to get the funnel too. I also recommend one of his scoops.

have fun!

Vaporific

I use my finger wrapped around the gh as a funnel
I’ve been doing this since 2016. Can’t lose your fingers (unless an accident) but you can lose the funnel or have it stick out in a pocket (ok for some I guess). If they’re clean then all the better. Never bothered with a stand for loading or charging. Less is more IMO however the accessories are out there for everyones’ own choosing.

update: a second ISO soak of my IO native frontend seems to have mitigated the severe heat in the cone area. Gently with a toothpick, I pushed it a tad but not completely out or loose which seems to have helped. Still trying to figure out how to remove the screen, plastic funnel holder and inner copper cone for future knowledge should I want to go that route for a true and complete breakdown cleaning…
:peace:

Last edited:

warren0728

i've been experimenting with drip tips to use with the pfe ... both varieties of drip tips i have are pretty loose when used on the performance front end (they work but you have to be careful that they don't fall off) ... so i ordered some slightly larger o-rings in hopes of creating a tighter fit ...

i ordered 6 x 1.5 mm o-rings and unfortunately they are a little too thick so the drip tips can't be inserted in the pfe ... not sure if there is a 6 x 1.25 mm o-ring (which i think would be the right size) but i'm gonna look.

anyone else find o-rings that work to tighten up the seal between the drip tip and the pfe?

JBone65

Ditto except I use mine almost daily.
I get the itch to hit the io every hour or two, averaging 16-17 hits/day. It's definitely not clear but that's what I meant by occasional use. The convection heater is perfect for any random personal schedule. Not sure cooling it down really does anything to preserve the load. I think it continues hitting a second or two, it's at maximum temp when you first click the element off. Instant on and instant off means you can apply heat with precision, then cool it, set it down and forget it (for an hour anyway). 🤯

Top Bottom