• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Homemade Vaporizers

xRUFUSx

special like everyone else
@Egzoset Thats a pretty thought provoking design - using heat energy that is usually wasted! And the vaponic looks like a smarter glass wand/blunt style design than I've seen.
I'm kinda hell bend on a ceramic heating element w/glass setup with variable temp. I can solder to spec and my electrical panels etc all look tits (some electrical assembly line experience), I just haven't built a logic board or programmed a chip before. I hear "source code" and my brain starts shitting itself. Building a temp controller from scratch (for me) would involve some hand holding or a thorough tutorial w/pics or vid.
Kinda classic... once every other month I'll be on some DIY troubleshooting kick, and someone's like "if you humps figured how to use an arduino, we could move on to something more interesting."
:doh: I shoulda stayed in school

Last edited:
xRUFUSx,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Salutations xRUFUSx,

Then perhaps you may like alternative solutions with less electronic hardware in them:

This one is a favourite in terms of concept, as i've never found suitable to try one myself:

It's for the Vaponic (formerly VapBong) which has a safe enough air/vapour path. This wasn't a DIY project but i find it quite inspiring...

:peace:

WOW!!! Now that looks very simple to build!!
Come to think of it i have some 10mm ID glass tube on the way, if i use a length of that inside a glass test tube with the appropriate gaskets etc it should be quite easy to put together.
I can turm up a disc of aluminum and drill it out to accept the test tubes and a simple clamp to attach to the light bulb.
According to the manual the light bulb is a 50 Watt Flood 35 degree.
OSRAM HALOPAR 16 ALU (64824FL, 230V, 50 WATT, GU10, FLOOD 35º).
Unfortunately it seems that the lights they recommend are only available in 230V versions...

Will have to look around for a suitable 110V replacement.

Have found these that may do the trick:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/50-watt-halogen-gu10-flood-bulb/917989

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...beam-halogen-bulbs-0525344p.html#.UvthcWfQEww

I think i am more partial to the last one.

Last edited:
lazylathe,
Reactions: xRUFUSx

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Lazylathe,
Salutations xRUFUSx,

...simple to build... I think i am more partial to the last one.

Me too, because the Canadian Tire store is easily accessible in my remote town while the nearest Home Depot is located in another city which is about 20 minutes away by car... The problem i'd have is with finding the Vaponic itself unless it could be replaced by an Arizer Solo bent glass stem, as i have 3 handy and their load size would be adequate if sessions can be made sufficiently powerful & quick without burning anything. Yet, i don't contemplate the eventuality of getting involved in elaborate DIY projects anymore, but i still enjoy reading about them anyway!

While i think of it, did you break the NoFlame base or was your metal piece simply rejected because of its physical characteristics?

I can solder... ...once every other month I'll be on some DIY troubleshooting kick, and someone's like "if you humps figured how to use an arduino, we could move on to something more interesting."

In that case i'd argue you might want to start thinking modular and learn using Linux if this hasn't been done yet...

Egzoset,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Salutations Lazylathe,
While i think of it, did you break the NoFlame base or was your metal piece simply rejected because of its physical characteristics?

I borrowed the NoFlame from work so it is still in perfect condition.
The problem was you had to keep the mass of metal you introduced very small.
It works best with narrow blades like the dental tools it was designed to work with.

I have some smaller ID glass tubing coming so i may try again.
Smaller tube = less thermal mass to heat up, but this also means it will cool a lot faster.

I am thinking the light with adapter to hold a test tube would work well.
Also wondering if i house a small 50W Halogen in a ceramic tube and just have the test tube inserted into the ceramic tube, if that would be good for single use. I do not really see the point of having 6 tubes on the go at the same time. I will mess around with a single use one for now and use the smaller 12V 50W halogen bulbs as i have some at home already.

This could be a lot of fun!

lazylathe,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Lazylathe,

It works best with narrow blades like the dental tools it was designed to work with.

Yes, i was expecting something like this to happen as my Salton plate will impose its own set of prefered physical characteristics too (or it just rejects the metal piece). But since a wax tool works fine what about extracts? I mean, weren't you curious to try a dropplet of resin sitting on the tip of such a NoFlame-specific tool, for example?... Or maybe you've already tested that!

:science:

I'm using this opportunity to ask because any additional details i can learn about this rare episode would have an echo in the French-speaking section, to keep the reader informed.

I do not really see the point of having 6 tubes on the go at the same time.

Hummm... Would you imply the lamp's power could be less?

I will mess around... ...could be a lot of fun!

Then i'll keep lurking around as i suspect this might be fun as well!

Egzoset,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Salutations Lazylathe,
Yes, i was expecting something like this to happen as my Salton plate will impose its own set of prefered physical characteristics too (or it just rejects the metal piece). But since a wax tool works fine what about extracts? I mean, weren't you curious to try a dropplet of resin sitting on the tip of such a NoFlame-specific tool, for example?... Or maybe you've already tested that!:science:
I'm using this opportunity to ask because any additional details i can learn about this rare episode would have an echo in the French-speaking section, to keep the reader informed.

I guess i could try again and have a small stainless probe in a test tube with the drop of resin on it.
The back would have the be opened so you could draw air in.
Not sure when i can borrow the NoFlame again.

Salutations Lazylathe,
Hummm... Would you imply the lamp's power could be less?
Then i'll keep lurking around as i suspect this might be fun as well!

I would presume the power could be less although i would need to experiment with the thermal mass as i am thinking the tube holders material also has something to do with the way it heats and retains the heat.
I will fool around with a 35 Watt Halogen bulb this weekend and see what happens.

lazylathe,
Reactions: ataxian

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again Lazylathe,

I guess i could try again...

Well i had to ask just in case there would be something to add.

So, if a wax tool is only 2 mm (dia.) i guess you'll want it to be centered inside a tube that's not many times larger. Hummm... Or maybe not: what about using silicone tubing that's simply parallel to it, with its sucking end near the resin droplet?... But you'd loose the heat shielding feature of a concentric structure, euh...

I wonder what one would use to hold some equivalent SS metal stick in place... Too bad my local Canadian Tire won't carry any of this.

Please make sure it's a fun experiment for you as i'd hate it to become a burden task anyway!

I will fool around with a 35 Watt Halogen bulb this weekend and see what happens.

The Venus is 25 Watts as i recall, though hot air goes directly through its bowl while the LoxLux/Vaponic concept adds 1 glass layer to overcome.

Egzoset,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Hi again Lazylathe,
Well i had to ask just in case there would be something to add.

So, if a wax tool is only 2 mm (dia.) i guess you'll want it to be centered inside a tube that's not many times larger. Hummm... Or maybe not: what about using silicone tubing that's simply parallel to it, with its sucking end near the resin droplet?... But you'd loose the heat shielding feature of a concentric structure, euh...

I wonder what one would use to hold some equivalent SS metal stick in place... Too bad my local Canadian Tire won't carry any of this.

Please make sure it's a fun experiment for you as i'd hate it to become a burden task anyway!

The Venus is 25 Watts as i recall, though hot air goes directly through its bowl while the LoxLux/Vaponic concept adds 1 glass layer to overcome.

No burden at all! It is just finding time and being able to take the NoFlame home for a while.

I will start thinking about it all tonight or tomorrow.
It's not as easy as it all sounds... Once you have the initial design then comes all the tweaking etc.
Fun but time consimung when you don't have a metallurgist at your side.

lazylathe,

bubbha ho-tep

SlowTokeMcgoats
Hey everyone been following this thread and doing research on building my own vape for a while now. Im stuck on this idea that i can make basically a mini portable LSV. And i need some peoples opinions to see if what im thinking in my head can become a reality.

I want to use this hakko FX-901/p
Cordless soldering iron.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZPUA28/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_jCXftb1066842
It says its powered by 4 AA alkaline or nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH) batterys and says it can last 2 hours on continuous use from a full charge. (Witch would be great battery life for a portable vape!)

I just dont know if this is possible
I really plan on making a very professional looking vape for myself and if i could make it portable that be so tits since i do already own a DBV
Also jus so u understand my design a little better this thing will look nothing like a soldering iron when im done i just want to use the parts from one and make a custom housing out of SS or aluminum pipe similar to the LSV but smaller.
So my questions are as follows:
1. Is this even a good choice on a soldering iron? And does anyone know if the portable irons like this really last a full two hours off of what seem too be 4 batterys similar to the ones used in the MFLB.

2.would i be able to take this apart easy and would i be able to put a dimmer knob like the one i found here on amazon (see link)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HR92ZN2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_QQXftb1ZZ9W4Z

On this in replace of the on and off switch. So that way i could mount this dimmer on the outside of my finished product to give me that dbv wattage control finish.

3. Would i want to use the battery housing provided in the soldering iron? Or could i pick up one of these hobby 4 AA battery boxes and wire it myself?
(See link)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HR92ZN2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_QQXftb1ZZ9W4Z

im not to advanced when it comes to electronics but i do have alot of tools and comman sense lol. i am really excited and interested in this project and would appreciate any help since this really isent my best area. But im not sure if this is a practical idea and if it cant be done i will settle for making a corded home unit but i really feel like a home made portable using a ceramic heating element like 7th floor uses might make for a very hard hitting portable device.

Please chime in with any questions or imput you have!!!!!!

bubbha ho-tep,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
you will never get 2 hours of vaping from 4 AA batteries. look at the MFLB. it gets one trench from one battery charge (or so).

for example, i use two 26650 size batteries (about D size) which are 3.3v, 2.3Ah each, or 7.59 watts each, or 15.18 watts total. i get 90 minutes of run time, or twelve 7.5 minute sessions.

building vapes is very entertaining ... you'll have a great time.

Hippie Dickie,
Reactions: Lo

bubbha ho-tep

SlowTokeMcgoats
you wili never get 2 hours of vaping from 4 AA batteries. look at the MFLB. it gets one trench from one battery charge (or so).

for example, i use two 26650 size batteries (about D size) which are 3.3v, 2.3Ah each, or 7.59 watts each, or 15.18 watts total. i get 90 minutes of run time, or twelve 7.5 minute sessions.

building vapes is very entertaining ... you'll have a great time.

Loll thanks man im pretty excited to try building one, been thinking about it for a while. so you dont think that hakko iron there will last the 2 hours of use like it
says in the discription? Mind you there not normal AA'S they may be more powerful than the mflb batterys im not really sure, but the heating element does claim 120 minuets of continuous use?. Idk tho it just seems so
simple lol like too easy why haseny it been
Done already ya know. Hell i was in walmart
this mornin and wondered into the hardware section just to check out the differt size cordless drill batterys they have lol how come no one has ever made a portable vape yet with like a 12v rechargeable battery cordless drill style lol like when it gos dead u just pop it out like a clip recharge it and your good to go you could by like 5 spare batterys keep them charged and ready to roll at a moments notice!
And im not really concerned about smaller size in this portable. But im gunna try and make it smaller than the minivape. Witch is kinda like a portable lsv. But im just rambling now lol

Hey @Hippie Dickie i just saw that little pic you have there is that a little vape you made?? The herbal cube? Looks pretty tits man im diggin it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bubbha ho-tep,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Hey @Hippie Dickie i just saw that little pic you have there is that a little vape you made?? The herbal cube? Looks pretty tits man im diggin it.

Yes, that's a vape i've been working on since 2002. i have a thread in the Portables subforum. You can click the link in my signature to read the thread.

i allow a wide range of voltage input from 6vdc to 20vdc, so a cordless drill battery would work fine -- with the correct adapter, of course.

Wizsteve

Yep, ghetto Volcano shouldn't be too hard.

we sold these in a head shop here this one is missing parts i see there was a holder for the heat gun so it would not have to rest on jar which could raised or lowered .

Wizsteve,

grokit

well-worn member
I was just cleaning out some old stuff, and kept this because I'm thinking that I have the beginning of a diy vaporizer here. Wrap the cloth-wrapped wire around a glass tube with a gong on the end, or...

42DaPmO.jpg

zolIsci.jpg

It's in better shape than it looks, there's a couple of rusted screws and the plug needs the fungus cleaned off, otherwise it's like new. Whattadaya guys think?

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Yes, wrapping a nichrome heater around a glass tube works very well. i prefer thicker nichrome (16awg) so the loops stay apart and don't need insulation, but i didn't have a busted toaster to play with. i started with the cigarette lighter from my CRX - nichrome ribbon vs wire. but i was never satisfied until i added PID temperature control. now it works a treat (as the limeys say).

grokit

well-worn member
It wasn't quite a toaster, more like a small hot plate/griddle that had a steamer on top.

grokit,

BuzzDanklin

Can any one tell me how big of a halogen bulb would be required in order to reach optium temp for vaporization?

Could it be done with a small bulb like the one in the link below or would it require one with a higher wattage?

Bulbrite 10MR11NF/12 10-Watt 12-Volt Halogen MR11 Bi-Pin, Narrow Flood https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030AWZFK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_897Kub0ZHFNW3

The Herbalizer uses a 300w Halogen, so I imagine you will need quite a bit bigger one than that.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
The DIY Lab Glass Vaporizer

Here is my first attempt at a vape. My goal was to:

1) use all glass air path
2) use off the shelf parts that costs less than $20 each

The parts:

24/40 105 degree 3-way distillation adapter - holds it all together
24/40 100mm thermometer adapter - i use this for holding the heater
24/40 to 19/22 adapter - this holds the herb
3" cartridge heater

These are the core parts. I also added some thermal transfer paste, a silicone plug, and some silicone tape to pretty it up and make it more usable. There is also a metal 24/40 clip holding it together.

Unexpected things:

1) the heater does not glow at all because of the paste
2) The cheap home depot dimmers are not good for heaters. When I switched to a pwm dimmer my hot spots when away.

Future changes:

1) stainless steel braided wire
2) more glass beads to hold the heat
3) a nice dimmer box

qGI2re8.jpg

G3oe13S.jpg

Last edited:

Grim Chiclets

The DIY Lab Glass Vaporizer

Here is my first attempt at a vape. My goal was to:

1) use all glass air path
2) use off the shelf parts that costs less than $20 each

The parts:

24/40 105 degree 3-way distillation adapter - holds it all together
24/40 100mm thermometer adapter - i use this for holding the heater
24/40 to 19/22 adapter - this holds the herb
3" cartridge heater

These are the core parts. I also added some thermal transfer paste, a silicone plug, and some silicone tape to pretty it up and make it more usable. There is also a metal 24/40 clip holding it together.

Unexpected things:

1) the heater does not glow at all because of the paste
2) The cheap home depot dimmers are not good for heaters. When I switched to a pwm dimmer and my hot spots when away.

Future changes:

1) stainless steel braided wire
2) more glass beads to hold the heat
3) a nice dimmer box

qGI2re8.jpg

G3oe13S.jpg
:clap: Sick first post! I look forward to seeing your input on all things engineering, nice to see a new tinkerer!

Grim Chiclets,

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
Thanks, grim! I am no engineer though. I got all the ideas out of this thread. I was trying to make a ceramic element work when I learned of low-density cartridge heaters a few pages back. This thread put me on the right path.

Top Bottom