Holy Piatella

Farid

Leaf material will make the hash greener. And change the texture. And make it smolder and burn versus turn to liquid and melt away.

Darkness is generally a property of the trich itself, more amber trichs will mean darker hash. Clearer heads will mean lighter hash.

It's a complete farce that lighter hash means higher quality, it's just cultural perception. In other countries like Pakistan or Afghanistan dark hash is associated with quality because of the famous black gold seal hash.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Leaf material will make the hash greener. And change the texture. And make it smolder and burn versus turn to liquid and melt away.

Darkness is generally a property of the trich itself, more amber trichs will mean darker hash. Clearer heads will mean lighter hash.

It's a complete farce that lighter hash means higher quality, it's just cultural perception. In other countries like Pakistan or Afghanistan dark hash is associated with quality because of the famous black gold seal hash.
The hash I was posting, was very sticky, yet this color is dark... not because it is made from trim? and mini nugs?
what is amber trichs? 100% THCA is clear. if your hash is 6 stars it can't be dark, because THCA is not dark
it should be bright, if there's a scale from 100% dark to 100% bright, 6 stars hash can't be dark... it must be bright
6 stars hash means it's very rich in THCA. like 70% or more. even 80%+ maybe?
so it can't be dark like the hash I was posting, which is not 6 stars, maybe 3-4?

did you ever see a dark live rosin? no, so same deal with 6 stars hash i guess?

anybody here ever had a 6 stars hash? the highest quality?

GoldenBud,

Hippie

Depends on whether it's been worked or pressed or heated and for how long after collecting the kief too
Imo it's not hash unless you pop or melt a few trichs otherwise it's still just kief, isn't it? :)

Hippie,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
6 star hash is bubble (ice water) hash that leaves little to no residue after being dabbed... more residue, lower star rating. It doesn't matter where exactly on the plant the trichomes come from. Flower with darker more amber trichomes usually means darker, lower star rated bubble hash... at least that's how I understand it.

Bologna,
Reactions: Twizzy

GoldenBud

6 star hash is bubble (ice water) hash that leaves little to no residue after being dabbed... more residue, lower star rating. It doesn't matter where exactly on the plant the trichomes come from. Flower with darker more amber trichomes usually means darker, lower star rated bubble hash... at least that's how I understand it.
i just don't understand how a 6 stars hash can be dark. 100% THCA color is clear. around 85% is very bright color, very.
if 6 stars hash means it has a lot of THCA, how it can be dark? it should be brighter than 4/5 stars

if 6 stars hash has more THCA, it must be brighter than 4/5 stars. dunno if dark trichomes are kind of bro-science or not, THCA 100% is clear, THCA 80%~ is very bright.... I just don't understand how it is possible having 6 stars dark bubble hash....

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
i just don't understand how a 6 stars hash can be dark. 100% THCA color is clear. around 85% is very bright color, very.
if 6 stars hash means it has a lot of THCA, how it can be dark? it should be brighter than 4/5 stars

if 6 stars hash has more THCA, it must be brighter than 4/5 stars. dunno if dark trichomes are kind of bro-science or not, THCA 100% is clear, THCA 80%~ is very bright..
You're absolutely right, 6 star hash can't be dark.

"Bro-science"...? THCA is not the only thing contained in trichomes and they can be darker (more amber) or lighter for different reasons.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

"Bro-science"...? THCA is not the only thing contained in trichomes and they can be darker (more amber) or lighter for different reasons.
trichomes can be clear, amber or milky, right? all these colors are not dark like the hash i posted in message 51
clear, milky color, amber color, imho are very bright colors (100% THCA is clear, amber is very bright color, "milk" bright too)
link works now @Bologna thanks, so it means the hash i posted in message #51 is even not 3 stars ? the color is very bright of 6 stars yea, even 5 and 4

and 3 stars hash is darker not because of trichome color i think, because it has more chlorophyll? like, ofc trim/mini nugs from the lower cola has more chlorophyll than the main cola... THCA:Cholorophyll ratio is at its best with the main cola, closer but not too close, ofc, to the lamp...

5/6 stars require top shelf raw material for sure...

Last edited:
GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
trichomes can be clear, amber or milky, right? all these colors are not dark like the hash i posted in message 51
clear, milky color, amber color, imho are very bright colors (100% THCA is clear, amber is very bright color, "milk" bright too)

link doesn't work

my point is that if you see a hash like i posted in message #51 it can't be 6 stars hash
and it's not 6 stars hash because the raw material is trim/mini nugs

6 stars requires top shelf raw material
I edited the post above.

Nah, that hash in message #51 is like a zero if that and it's not 6 stars cuz it's dark.

My point is the rating is all about color and residue.... what causes that doesn't really matter, unless it matters.

6 star requires material with clear trichomes which isn't necessarily the result of where on the plant it comes from or whether or not it's "top shelf"... it often has more to do with phenotype and harvest "windows". But yeah, shit in shit out.... like most things.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Damn 0 stars and it was sticky AF
So hard to get good hash
so that's what happen when people do hash from trim
need to make hash from 100gr top shelf nuggets
then it will look good...
be aware from bubble hash from trim lol

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
  • Haha
Reactions: Bologna

GoldenBud

I honestly have no idea how that would be rated cuz the lighting... you tell me, was there anything residual left after the dab?
I used Tetra P80/Underdog SC3+/Mi3/Dynavap for this hash. it's definitely bubbles a lot and very sticky, i didn't dab it. but pretty sure it's not full melt of any kind

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Bologna

Farid

In general the star rating system goes by melt and % of heads vs contaminant. Color does not matter, though you will hear "clear domes" referenced. That is more a comment on the melt, and dark amber heads can still produce clear domes when smoked.

The color is mostly impacted by the strain and the harvest timing. Some people prefer the racier effects of clearer earlier harvested heads. Others prefer the stonier effects of amber heads.

But if you have 100% heads and the strain is high quality, it doesn't matter the color, you can still have 6 star hash. If you only went by color you would be sleeping on some of the best strains out there.

GoldenBud

In general the star rating system goes by melt and % of heads vs contaminant. Color does not matter, though you will hear "clear domes" referenced. That is more a comment on the melt, and dark amber heads can still produce clear domes when smoked.

The color is mostly impacted by the strain and the harvest timing. Some people prefer the racier effects of clearer earlier harvested heads. Others prefer the stonier effects of amber heads.

But if you have 100% heads and the strain is high quality, it doesn't matter the color, you can still have 6 star hash. If you only went by color you would be sleeping on some of the best strains out there.
but it can't be dark like my message #51 in this topic ?
if 100% THCA is clear, it must be bright, that's my thinking , 6 stars must contain more THCA than 3/4/5 stars

GoldenBud,

Farid

6 star hash will never be 100% THCA. Not Even close. Even a collection of 100% pure trichs will have all of the waxes, pigments, flavor compounds, and whatnot that are present in a trichrome. If you press it into rosin you will remove some of that, but also lose some of the essence of what makes a great hash imo. 100% THC is a flavorless, unenjoyable smoking/vaping experience. I'd much rather smoke contaminated 2 star hash.

But I get your point - you're saying if it's higher in THC it should be closer to clear. But even a tiny bit of pigment goes a long way in coloring a trichrome.

Some strains can be VERY dark, but I'm color blind so I can't really comment on your pic.

That said, the star rating is kind of arbitrary. It's great for people who want to compare pictures and melt shots, but smoking hash is a gustatory experience, and it cannot be judge from a picture or video, (or behind a glass display case of a dispensary).
I'd go by how it smokes first then the melt to judge it. If you put it on a screen and it bubbled and disappears entirely that's a good sign. If it just sort of puffs up its probably middle of the road stuff.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

But I get your point - you're saying if it's higher in THC it should be closer to clear. But even a tiny bit of pigment goes a long way in coloring a trichrome.
yeah, THCA 80%+ is very bright. 100% THCA is clear, so 6 stars hash can't be dark.
Some strains can be VERY dark, but I'm color blind so I can't really comment on your pic.
Some strains can be dark because their chlorophyll is dark. when making bubble hash, the chlorophyll is passing the net's pores, only the smaller molecules stay - the oils - THC, terpenes, etc'.
"Some strains can be dark" has nothing to do with 6 stars hash, 6 stars hash must be very bright color

from frency cannoli rip IG, this looks like 4 stars or more, bright color
Screenshot-2023-06-10-124022.png

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
Reactions: Varden

Farid

Chlorophyll washes out. Thats why people do techniques like the carding with a sprayer. The amberness of a trich does not wash out. Amber trichs are considered a good thing by a lot of growers.

I don't know what to tell you, but 6 star hash can absolutely be amber and there has been award winning hash at competitions that is. Like I said the star rating is based on how much it melts and if it produces "clear domes". And of course how it smokes tastes and smells but that cannot be seen in a picture.

If you can take the hash, dab it or smoke it on a screen and it leaves no residue then it's probably six stars. Even if it's Amber.

Here are 2 examples:

From Bubbleman:

From Jungle Boys:
JungleBoys_0000_bp90unice.jpg

And those 2 are unpressed. If you took that and pressed them they would be even darker.

And some fire made by a random reddit user:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BubbleHash/comments/ugccxr

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
amber is not a dark color

these can't be 6 stars:
dark1.png

dark3.png

dark2.png
None of that looks like bubble hash. At least to me anyway... that's why it doesn't get a star rating.

One more try:

Bubble hash is made by collecting trichome heads using only ice and water. The maturity and purity (lack of contaminants) of this collection, along with how well it vapes and tastes etc, determines the star rating. The color doesn't really matter unless it's caused by contaminants that affect those determining factors.

Trichome heads do not contain chlorophyll but they do contain other compounds etc that aren't necessarily contaminants, including THCA, and depending on the strain and when it's harvested, the color of the head can range from light to dark (not "bright"). "Light" on one end meaning clear and "dark" on the other end meaning anything darker. Amber is darker than clear, it's just not darker than black... notice there is no "bright" used in this scale, only light and dark.

Incidentally, I was reading that most full melt bubble hash tops out at around 60% THCA.... I also never really thought about it but learned that THCA itself is toxic to much of the plant, that's why it's contained in trichome structures outside the other plant material (duh?).

GoldenBud

None of that looks like bubble hash. At least to me anyway... that's why it doesn't get a star rating.
I saw a lot of bubble hash from trim batches before, all look like this. dark color, because a bit of cholorophyll stayed on the nets, because of covalent bonds, some chlorophyll sticks to the oils, it's not a 100% process. I was also thinking like you before, but it's not like that.
Bubble hash is made by collecting trichome heads using only ice and water. The maturity and purity (lack of contaminants) of this collection, along with how well it vapes and tastes etc, determines the star rating. The color doesn't really matter unless it's caused by contaminants that affect those determining factors.
In theory, all the cholorophyll molecules should pass the net's pores (plant material molecules diameter is bigger than trichomes) , and then only trichomes heads will be left on the nets.... but..... there are bonds between chlorophyll/plant material to these oils which keep some of plant material on the nets
Trichome heads do not contain chlorophyll but they do contain other compounds etc that aren't necessarily contaminants, including THCA, and depending on the strain and when it's harvested, the color of the head can range from light to dark (not "bright").
right, that's why people like to stay they work manual with a stick and not using some mixer, if the mixing is too fast more plant material will stick to the oils
Incidentally, I was reading that most full melt bubble hash tops out at around 60% THCA.
full melt bubble hash is 5/6 stars only i think, even 4 stars is not full melt AFAIK

GoldenBud,

Farid

Well said and very concise @Bologna

In this context Amber is considered dark. It's been long debated between hash makers and vendors with vendors fixated on the idea that top quality hash should be white.

This is also debatef among hash oil conneseurs, with many falsely believing that hash oil should be a certain color, and that being clear or light colored is a sign of superiority. It's unfortunately become adopted by a lot of users as well. I think it comes from the fact that people mistake greenness or lack of filtration/refinement with pigment coloration. I've even seen some hash oil makers do ridiculous processes to remove pigment all together just for bag appeal. It doesn't help that in many cases you can only look at hash before you purchase it at a dispensary - you often can't smell or sample it in many states.

GoldenBud

In this context Amber is considered dark. It's been long debated between hash makers and vendors with vendors fixated on the idea that top quality hash should be white.
It will never be white because some plant material will not leave. some plant material stays. because of covalent bonds. maybe because of london bonds too, but i think it's mostly covalent bonds.
I think it comes from the fact that people mistake greenness or lack of filtration/refinement with pigment coloration.
removing the chlorophyll/plant material after making the hash is difficult i think, as long as it's not black or brown people will pay the price

GoldenBud,

Farid

You remove the chlorophyll while making the hash. You don't simply put your hash water through the screens, you blast the hash covered screens with pressurized water to wash the chlorophyll out. The hash will move around the screen, and you will see the color get less green. Then you blast it towards the center of the screen to help collect it.

And there certainly can be white full melt. If your trichs are clear or barely milky, and you don't press it, it can look like this:

Bubble-Hash-Cannabis-Concentrate-Papas-Select.jpg

GoldenBud

You remove the chlorophyll while making the hash. You don't simply put your hash water through the screens, you blast the hash covered screens with pressurized water to wash the chlorophyll out. The hash will move around the screen, and you will see the color get less green. Then you blast it towards the center of the screen to help collect it.

And there certainly can be white full melt. If your trichs are clear or barely milky, and you don't press it, it can look like this:

Bubble-Hash-Cannabis-Concentrate-Papas-Select.jpg
you don't remove 100% of the cholorophyll, that's the tricky part. it sticks to the oils. organic compounds....
You think all the chlorophyll is washed, it's not the case in real life.... that's why you will see a lot of brown/black hash
that's why you see pics of brown/black hash in the IG of Frenchy Cannoli...

maybe some people make their bubble hash from top shelf weed that contains a lot of THCA/Terpz, but as long as you work with trim - it's not the case AFAIK

the picture you posted is using some advance technique or so? but still if it would be so easy you wouldn't see black hash in Cannoli IG

GoldenBud,
Top Bottom