• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued herbalAire

sun95

cleaning a herbal aire (Merged)

Hello, this is my first post on these forums. I recently bought a herbal aire 2.1 and just cleaned it with acetone based nail polish remover. I've ran hot water through the tubing several times now but the taste and smell of acetone is still present and disgusting. Any tips for getting rid of this or should I just buy a new tube?

sun95,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
That's funny, my son asked me this question last night. The screen is getting gunked up and bag blowing has slowed down a lot. What is the best way to clean the screen and the tube? I know you can't soak in ISO, as it's plastic. Is replacing these parts the only way?

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I was wondering what you guys do to clean the straw and the screen? My son got his screen gunked up and the straw is gross. I know you can't soak in ISO, since it's plastic...

Tstat,

vape4health

Still lovin my hA :ko: I have a small tip , I have been working on a battery pack an inverter in a cooler to use the hA as a 100% portable , Im having problems in the inverter area , from hear says ( I didnt hear this from herbalAire ) the hA needs a pure sine wave or it does something bad inside . The inverter I have is a cheap one , about the size of a pack of smokes and 20 bucks says 90 watts on it , it does non or modified sinusoidal wave , thats the sloppy one ( on an oscilloscope it would look like a bunch of steps to cover the same area the a pure sine wave would , and something about 270 volts or something idk ) I used it befor on the hA but Im now thinking I just got lucky and it will still break the hA . I have only looked into this for a few days but from what Im seeing a pure sine inverter is needed or use a line conditioner that can clean a non sine ( not to sure about that really working ) .

I can order a pure sine inverter I just cant find one local . When I have more time Ill find whats the cheaps one that will work , Ill post any info I find .

vape4health,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Hmmm. Teflon? Even the straw? ISO is Ok for teflon?

Tstat,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
here's the herbalAire web-site talking about cleaning:

"Easy Clean Up

Simply remove the mouthpiece and dump out the crucible containing the herb. A metal tool is provided to loosen any packed herb.

Mouthpieces can be washed with water. If a more thorough cleaning is required, place mouthpieces in the plastic tube provided and swish with rubbing alcohol. There are no small pieces to take apart."

http://www.herbalaire.com/clean.htm

rabblerouser,
Reactions: MG23

OO

Technical Skeptical
i use iso to clean mine, teflon is very inert.

and then i vape the oil that comes off when washed.

OO,

OO

Technical Skeptical
sun95 said:
cleaning a herbal aire (Merged)

Hello, this is my first post on these forums. I recently bought a herbal aire 2.1 and just cleaned it with acetone based nail polish remover. I've ran hot water through the tubing several times now but the taste and smell of acetone is still present and disgusting. Any tips for getting rid of this or should I just buy a new tube?

what's left behind is the fragrance. next time try industrial grade solvents.
i would try putting the temp to max and putting the pump on to pump out all of the fragrance.

OO,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
vape4health said:
Still lovin my hA :ko: I have a small tip , I have been working on a battery pack an inverter in a cooler to use the hA as a 100% portable , Im having problems in the inverter area , from hear says ( I didnt hear this from herbalAire ) the hA needs a pure sine wave or it does something bad inside . The inverter I have is a cheap one , about the size of a pack of smokes and 20 bucks says 90 watts on it , it does non or modified sinusoidal wave , thats the sloppy one ( on an oscilloscope it would look like a bunch of steps to cover the same area the a pure sine wave would , and something about 270 volts or something idk ) I used it befor on the hA but Im now thinking I just got lucky and it will still break the hA . I have only looked into this for a few days but from what Im seeing a pure sine inverter is needed or use a line conditioner that can clean a non sine ( not to sure about that really working ) .

I can order a pure sine inverter I just cant find one local . When I have more time Ill find whats the cheaps one that will work , Ill post any info I find .

this would be really cool! i am looking forward to hearing about your progress.

how big is the battery pack that you are using now? how long will it allow you to vape cordless?

notmyrealUSERname,

vape4health

The battery that Im using now is the one lowes sells for motorcycles , its 5" x 3" x 7" tall . Testing with the Buddha I can have gotton over 5 hours non stop . It all fits in a Igloo 13 can cooler very nicely , the DBV will work for this time but after I get home Im rebuilding the set to run the hA .

vape4health,

sun95

OO said:
what's left behind is the fragrance. next time try industrial grade solvents.
i would try putting the temp to max and putting the pump on to pump out all of the fragrance.

I just bought a new tube, cost 89 cents for 6 feet of silicone tubing at the local hardware store :)

sun95,
Just got my herbalaire today and really like it with some caveats.

The efficiency angle is no empty boast, this thing creates a more uniformly browned product than anything I've ever seen. Far more than the volcano or anything else I've ever personally used - just, like, damn. Beautiful ABV. Bags blow very dense and very nice, I think I have the improved pump, not the old crap one and not the super high powered one - it is reasonably quick but a little sluggish by volcano standards. Direct draw is actually awesome, I can get deep, dense, great hits with little trouble, with or without the straw, which I understand some people have complained it constricts airflow too much - this wasn't the case for me. Bags have a great vapor to air ratio and are, at this limited point in my experience, equal or superior to the volcano bags. It is practically very tough, with no easily broken pieces at all.

My biggest problem is taste. I've noticed this latest batch of material is a little flavorless, but still, not alot of falvor. This requires further experimentation but taste does not seem stellar. Second problem is how the material sits on a HOT ass chamber and continues to vape even when inhalation is not present, something that was not really a problem in any other vape I have except the Iolite, where it is also quite a big problem in my book. Guess w7hat? I also think the iolite has inferior taste despite delivering very nice clouds (once the "moisture condenser' is removed from the mouthpiece). I think this is because tasty compunds go off immediately at a lower temperature, and if the material gets to just sit and mellow at a high temp while the unit preheats, then you're completely cheated out of flavor as well as active ingredient! Why does the MFLB taste way, way better than the iolite, at least in my experience? Just this reason - the mflb reaches vaping temperatures in seconds while you are already inhaling with proper technique, flavor is thusly preserved. Iolite heats up for 60 to 120 seconds to 370ish degrees while tasty stuff goes up in smoke, I think herbalaire may suffer a similar fate. Also, I don't think volcano patented the one way valve, why isn't there one for the mouthpiece? They should at least provide little foam plugs. The tube diameter for the whip is ludicrously narrow too, but 7th floor tubing is too narrow to fit on the big mouthpiece and too big to fit on the small mouthpiece. Guess I can try soaking it in hot water and slip it on the first? Another 50 degrees of vape temp would be nice too.

That sounds like alot of drawbacks but I've used alot of vapes and am expecting alot. If it were my first vape I'd be tripping out about how fantastic this thing is. With how great the direct draw is and how efficient the Herbalaire is... And given its capabilities as a whip and also bag blowing unit... I don't see why anyone would buy a log vape. Very little premium gets you a far more versatile vape which seems just as efficient.

A simple glass stem mouthpiece for direct draw would make it twice as enjoyable, for me at least. And is there really any reason to use the crucible?

Herbalaire, at its current ebay price of like 170 of whatever, and especially as a first or one-and-only vaporizer, gets an easy A- in my use.

Edit: wow, operation herbalaire Vape-bong is GO. This thing works very well, heat needs to be cranked a little over normal and I think finer grind (versus coarse, or NO grind, which does indeed work fine in the HA) works better. The pump is well-able to force air through a 14mm downstem and can indeed fill your tubes for you which is crazy. You could just fill them, then stop the pump and empty them. Can the extreme's air assist do that?

charliedontsurf,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
charliedontsurf said:

The efficiency angle is no empty boast, this thing creates a more uniformly browned product than anything I've ever seen. Far more than the volcano or anything else I've ever personally used - just, like, damn. Beautiful ABV. Bags blow very dense and very nice, I think I have the improved pump, not the old crap one and not the super high powered one - it is reasonably quick but a little sluggish by volcano standards. Direct draw is actually awesome, I can get deep, dense, great hits with little trouble, with or without the straw, which I understand some people have complained it constricts airflow too much - this wasn't the case for me. Bags have a great vapor to air ratio and are, at this limited point in my experience, equal or superior to the volcano bags. It is practically very tough, with no easily broken pieces at all.

My biggest problem is taste. I've noticed this latest batch of material is a little flavorless, but still, not alot of falvor. This requires further experimentation but taste does not seem stellar. Second problem is how the material sits on a HOT ass chamber and continues to vape even when inhalation is not present, something that was not really a problem in any other vape I have except the Iolite, where it is also quite a big problem in my book. Guess w7hat? I also think the iolite has inferior taste despite delivering very nice clouds (once the "moisture condenser' is removed from the mouthpiece). I think this is because tasty compunds go off immediately at a lower temperature, and if the material gets to just sit and mellow at a high temp while the unit preheats, then you're completely cheated out of flavor as well as active ingredient! Why does the MFLB taste way, way better than the iolite, at least in my experience? Just this reason - the mflb reaches vaping temperatures in seconds while you are already inhaling with proper technique, flavor is thusly preserved. Iolite heats up for 60 to 120 seconds to 370ish degrees while tasty stuff goes up in smoke, I think herbalaire may suffer a similar fate. Also, I don't think volcano patented the one way valve, why isn't there one for the mouthpiece? They should at least provide little foam plugs. The tube diameter for the whip is ludicrously narrow too, but 7th floor tubing is too narrow to fit on the big mouthpiece and too big to fit on the small mouthpiece. Guess I can try soaking it in hot water and slip it on the first? Another 50 degrees of vape temp would be nice too.

That sounds like alot of drawbacks but I've used alot of vapes and am expecting alot. If it were my first vape I'd be tripping out about how fantastic this thing is. With how great the direct draw is and how efficient the Herbalaire is... And given its capabilities as a whip and also bag blowing unit... I don't see why anyone would buy a log vape. Very little premium gets you a far more versatile vape which seems just as efficient.

A simple glass stem mouthpiece for direct draw would make it twice as enjoyable, for me at least. And is there really any reason to use the crucible?

Herbalaire, at its current ebay price of like 170 of whatever, and especially as a first or one-and-only vaporizer, gets an easy A- in my use.

Edit: wow, operation herbalaire Vape-bong is GO. This thing works very well, heat needs to be cranked a little over normal and I think finer grind (versus coarse, or NO grind, which does indeed work fine in the HA) works better. The pump is well-able to force air through a 14mm downstem and can indeed fill your tubes for you which is crazy. You could just fill them, then stop the pump and empty them. Can the extreme's air assist do that?

BAM! That's pretty much exactly how I felt when I first got my HA.

You forgot to mention that you don't have to stir your bowl - ever! Another advantage for noobs, or all the lazy stoners out there.

I had never made the connection between the iolite and the HA and the lack of taste. I think your theory about the constant heat affecting the taste is bang on. I wonder if those people with log Vapes notice a lack of taste when compared to something else?

I think the crucible makes easier to keep the med chamber clean. I use a set of pliers to pick the bowl out when it's hot.

The bags also fit into 14mm downstem so you vapebong the bags too! Btw, how long are the bags supposed to last? When should u replace them? Where is the best place to get replacements?

What size tubing do you think is needed to fit over the mouthpiece? I want to order some from us plastics but I haven't been able to figure out what I need yet.

All the pumps have been upgraded as of Jan 2010 - H2.1. I don't see any reason to get the upgrade, or HO pump unless you are having a party and need multiple bags at the same time.

I am looking forward to seeing some pics of your custom glass! I assume u traded your volcano since you are talking about a HA. In the end do u think you made the right choice?

notmyrealUSERname,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
CharliedontSurf: Thank you for the thorough and impartial review.

Ive used an HA for about 3 years now, and can offer these thoughts:

Most here think it only does bags well, and it does, with nice thick vapour and high vape-to-air ratio. But I prefer it in whip or direct mode, going through my bub/water.

I have all 3 pumps and actually prefer the low flow model as it gives richer hits, in general (less air into the stream), though it is slower at filling the bags. It also seems to mate better with my bub, in pump assist mode.

I have actually enjoyed the tastes I get in any mode, especially with higher grade material. It seems to hold the taste well until the bud is cashed, probably from the excellent extraction, imo.

I do notice that wisps of vapour can escape from the top of the mouthpiece at times, though. When I use bags, I place the next one on immediately to avoid this. For whip use, I upgraded to 5/8ID X 3/4 OD, soft silicone tubing, which goes over the mouthpiece, to increase the air flow. I also use rubber caps for the bags that seal over the tubing, as a stopper, and to place in the mouthpiece between hits to cap it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After speaking with HA, it seems many users go without the crucible. I was concerned about getting small bits getting in the core and even use an extra, finer mesh screen in the bottom of the cruc. It seems that isnt the case according to them. To each their own, though

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
regarding taste. I have gotten some really good flavor out of the herbalAire. Actually i had one batch so tasty, that the next several bags all tasted like it. But that may imply possible lingering flavor, not sure if it's the bags, or that the teflon was gummed up.

I find running a bag or 2 at low temp first gives the best flavor, although it'll be the thinnest bag.

I only find the high temp bags to have any questionable flavor, i enjoy the ones around 350ish more even though they aren't quite as thick.

it's a plus and minus that the herb stays warm. you get the thickest bags from a crucible that's been warmed over a bit. Plus i usually powerhouse through a crucible, so it doesn't sit for too long. But yeah, to at least some extent it keeps cooking the whole time.

rabblerouser,

lwien

notmyrealUSERname said:
I wonder if those people with log Vapes notice a lack of taste when compared to something else?

Lack of taste? Quite to the contrary. As compared to the Ion, VaporGenie, VaporStar and Iolite, the PD was MUCH tastier with one caveat. For me, the taste is great in the first two hits. After that, the taste declines rapidly. When I say "decline", I don't mean that the taste gets bad, but rather, non-existant.

lwien,
NotmyrealUSERname, you're right, I did forget that. Stirring is a complete waste of time, which is Fing crazy. The vaporizing air paths are so effective the whole loads seems completely uniform when you pull it out. No other vape I've seen can boast this, or even close really. Herbalaire ABV cannot be mistaken from that from any other vape I've tried personally - it's so uniform. so completely vaped that. Someone mentioned a while ago that their friends used to bum their ABV from other vapes but don't ask for it now that the forum member has a herbalaire. I can totally see why! It's so completely vaped I've just been trashing it, as long as I get up in the 375 area and do a good job of finishing it out.

What temp do you guys start out at when doing direct draw?

Does anyone know what the heating element is definitively composed of?

This thing is a vape-bong MONSTER. Pumped with air or lung powered, wow.

I think, in general, that it's absurd how little talk and attention the Hebalaire gets. It's a superb unit, especially for its price.

charliedontsurf,

max

Out to lunch
charliedontsurf said:
I also think the iolite has inferior taste despite delivering very nice clouds (once the "moisture condenser' is removed from the mouthpiece). I think this is because tasty compunds go off immediately at a lower temperature, and if the material gets to just sit and mellow at a high temp while the unit preheats, then you're completely cheated out of flavor as well as active ingredient!
I've found that the iolite has very good taste on the first hit or two. Although if you start it up and let it sit for 5-10 min. before you hit it, probably not. But it'll produce vapor (and taste) after about 90 sec. I also think saying it mellows at a high temp while preheating could be a little misleading to some, since it's a fixed temp vape and doesn't go into the high temp range.

I've almost always used 370-380, bag fill or direct draw. I will say that I've never cared much for the direct draw with this model, and haven't used it much in that mode.

I asked that of the manufacturer years ago, and can't remember. But I do remember that the heater is not in the vapor path, so I don't really think it matters much, except for maybe heater longevity.

max,

Troi

My Review of the HerbalAir 2.1

Note: I currently own: SSV, LSV, Volcano Digit, MFLB, Extreme-Q, and the HerbalAir 2.1

I bought this vape actually in July, and I was happy with it at time of purchase as a bag vape. Initially I was un-impressed with its whip capabilities because of the poor design of its out of box whip system. However; I was able to get some limited surfaces with retrofitting SSV tubing with the devices connection system to get better bong rips.

My initial impressions Were:

Pros: Separated Air intake, and electric system, well documented proven safe materials used in its construction at the temperatures the device reaches. Produces nice tasty thick vapor; however stock hose and whip system is difficult to suck through. Just as good of bagger as any but bags are not my prefered vapor type.

Cons:
1) its components can get very hot, and easy to burn your fingers on. I like to adapt to be better at using my vapes so i was able to overcome this problem.

2) The primary connector to the herb chamber (tephlon mouthpiece) has a poor horizontal strength to it. vertically it is very sound but any horizontal movement of the slightest knocks it out of place. Note: Again I was abole to overcome by becoming more gentle with how I handled it, but i can see how many would find this VERY annoying.

3) Whip system is difficult to draw from, and makes for very complicated bong setups.

With this initial thoughts; after about a month I stopped using this vape for the SSV instead with direct bong hits, Then this fall I switched to the LSV when it came out and was very pleased with the LSV.

After about a month of use of the LSV, ( I am certain that someone else on this forum, has had this revelation already) I thought maybe i can directly insert the Herbalair into the bong using its tephlon mouthpeice. i noticed that it made a good seal with my 18.9 joint; so i tried it and that changed everything I thought about this vape.

If you turn it upside down and hook it right into your bong; it makes nice thick fast hitting vapor. The heat retention on the herbailair is better then any vape currently on the market. ( I will admit i have not tried the vriptech, but i assume the vrips heat retention is similar to the LSV.

Once the heabalair gets going you can hit it through the bong and get nice thick vapor just like the cloud shows to offer. (Big Note here: I still think the cloud will be the best heat retention vaporizor on the market, but the herbalair is currently the best and probably will be a very close second. Not to mention the improvements in the 100% glass transfer of the cloud also look to be more promising then the herbalair.

But then another thing to note is these herbalairs can be picked up from 185-220$ depending on the seller. Its a great little unit; and I think that it is very underrated and overlooked on this site. I currently use it over all of my vapes, while i wait to fly high with the cloud.

Note on Concentrate Extration:

I also wanted to note that the HerbalAir performs great with hash and earwax hash. It does require bud to sandwich the hash; as the hash would get stuck to the crucible or inner heating element. But, for example with the earwax, i usually sandwich a pinch in between w flat .10 nugs; and pack the grucble gently so the bud and hash stays in position, after a solid 10-15 bong-rips @ 350 degrees, when i take the curricle out and gently dump out the bud sandwich; the earwax was completely evaporated.

Troi,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
my strategy for bags: 2 bags @325, then 3 bags @350, then 3 bags @375, then 2 bags @400. then i will save the abv and combine it with the abv from my other vapes, in order to revape in the HA with some kief!

when i use the abv with kief, i will do 2 bags @350, 2 bags @375, 2 bags @400. sometimes the number of bags changes depending on how much kief is loaded. the abv is useless afterwards. i tried to make some qwiso with it - it was terrible! your better off to toss the dark abv because there is nothing good left in it!

i have also found that i am using an extra fine screen to sandwich my meds down into the crucible. it helps minimize bits blown into the bags. i know that your don't need to grind your stuff up, but i always do so i can collect the kief. i feel it helps me stretch out my bang for my buck!

when i use it with my bong i start @350, pull a bunch of times - until i get bored, then do the same @375, and @400. i do feather the air intake hole while pulling on the bong though so i think that may affect the temp somewhat. btw, when i plug the airhole my bong stops pecolating, therefore, i a creating a perfect seal to my 14mm downstem! i will save the abv for revaping with kief later, because with my smaller glass pieces, i cant pull enough to 'cash a bowl' properly.

i have never used the whip system, and i have only tried direct draw a handful of times.

as far as concentrates go i say heat that ti! :brow: its simply the best way to deal with concentrates, that i have found.

with hard pressed concentrates i put a dab directly on the heating element of my herb iron and inhale the rising smoke through my ti curve on a bubbler! its basically like doing BT's without the cig and the plastic bottle!

ti curve ftw,

herbalaire is the best do it all vape out there, imo. clean airpath, very versatile, and it defines efficeincy. it is truly underated.

notmyrealUSERname,

OO

Technical Skeptical
vape4health said:
The battery that Im using now is the one lowes sells for motorcycles , its 5" x 3" x 7" tall . Testing with the Buddha I can have gotton over 5 hours non stop . It all fits in a Igloo 13 can cooler very nicely , the DBV will work for this time but after I get home Im rebuilding the set to run the hA .
sounds like a great idea, please share the result.
charliedontsurf said:

I understand some people have complained it constricts airflow too much
this is likely due to the horribly thin stock excuse for a whip.
charliedontsurf said:
My biggest problem is taste. I've noticed this latest batch of material is a little flavorless, but still, not alot of falvor. This requires further experimentation but taste does not seem stellar. Second problem is how the material sits on a HOT ass chamber and continues to vape even when inhalation is not present, something that was not really a problem in any other vape I have except the Iolite, where it is also quite a big problem in my book. Guess w7hat? I also think the iolite has inferior taste despite delivering very nice clouds (once the "moisture condenser' is removed from the mouthpiece). I think this is because tasty compunds go off immediately at a lower temperature, and if the material gets to just sit and mellow at a high temp while the unit preheats, then you're completely cheated out of flavor as well as active ingredient! Why does the MFLB taste way, way better than the iolite, at least in my experience? Just this reason - the mflb reaches vaping temperatures in seconds while you are already inhaling with proper technique, flavor is thusly preserved. Iolite heats up for 60 to 120 seconds to 370ish degrees while tasty stuff goes up in smoke, I think herbalaire may suffer a similar fate.

you're on the right track, most of the flavor compounds boil at lower temps than the drugs themselves, which is why it's usually only the first two bags that really have flavor. i have an easy solution, while the machine is warming up, i already have the bag on, that way there is no escape except out the intake, which is unlikely because i have restricted the exhaust with a fully compressed bag. i get really excellent flavor from the HA, but since the air-path is rather large, it does take more herb to get good flavor than it does with vapes that have more narrow air-paths.
charliedontsurf said:
The tube diameter for the whip is ludicrously narrow too, but 7th floor tubing is too narrow to fit on the big mouthpiece and too big to fit on the small mouthpiece. Guess I can try soaking it in hot water and slip it on the first? Another 50 degrees of vape temp would be nice too.

one advantage that a log vape has over the herbie is the narrow air path, which means that you don't need as much herb to get the same quality flavor.

here's my herbie setup for whip and for bong.

0129011142.jpg

1228001101.jpg

lwien said:
notmyrealUSERname said:
I wonder if those people with log Vapes notice a lack of taste when compared to something else?

Lack of taste? Quite to the contrary. As compared to the Ion, VaporGenie, VaporStar and Iolite, the PD was MUCH tastier with one caveat. For me, the taste is great in the first two hits. After that, the taste declines rapidly. When I say "decline", I don't mean that the taste gets bad, but rather, non-existant.
it's much the same with the herbie, two flavor bags, then the rest tastes like resin.

max said:
But I do remember that the heater is not in the vapor path, so I don't really think it matters much, except for maybe heater longevity.
of course it's not in the vapor path, but it must be somewhere in the AIR path, otherwise the air wouldn't be heated.
notmyrealUSERname said:
i know that your don't need to grind your stuff up, but i always do so i can collect the kief. i feel it helps me stretch out my bang for my buck!
i would advise against this as you're only reducing the potency of the bud by adding another step, and as the law of efficiency goes, the more steps, the more is lost. there will be resin left on the grinder, and you'll never get all of it back.

Troi said:
2) The primary connector to the herb chamber (tephlon mouthpiece) has a poor horizontal strength to it. vertically it is very sound but any horizontal movement of the slightest knocks it out of place. Note: Again I was abole to overcome by becoming more gentle with how I handled it, but i can see how many would find this VERY annoying.
mine had this same problem, so i contacted herbalaire about it, and though they took awhile to get back to me, they eventually fixed the problem by sending me one that fit correctly.

OO,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
charliedontsurf said:

This thing is a vape-bong MONSTER. Pumped with air or lung powered, wow.

I think, in general, that it's absurd how little talk and attention the Hebalaire gets. It's a superb unit, especially for its price.

I usually start @ 320F and step up to 360F or so.

The heating element is a nichrome cartridge set up.

Agreed, great vape bong in either mode :ko: and such an under rated vape in this forum.

nicelytoasted,
Top Bottom