Herb Grinders

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ah you’re selling me more and more on the BCG.. last question.. do you prefer 3 or 4 pc?

I do not care for kief filtering, I want it in with the herbs I ground to use with them as I vape... So I was 3piece all the way even before BCG :tup:

Also I will be grabbing the steel version BCG, there is some piece of mind there, but I do not feel anxious or paranoid using the aluminum ones!

Not to steer anyone away from the BCG, but the FM has the best feature, for me at least, the wide open area to place nugs. I really like that feature. FM is the one I grab 90% of the time.

Yeah like I said, the FM is not like any other grinder, worth having regardless imo, I will say that the large BCG does have larger spots for loading the herbs though!

snackmaster

New 3-piece from CH. Nothing groundbreaking IMO, but maybe the combo of threadless, 3" size, and non-round shape might be good for those with dexterity issues?

JOHN GALT

New 3-piece from CH. Nothing groundbreaking IMO, but maybe the combo of threadless, 3" size, and non-round shape might be good for those with dexterity issues?

Looks solid, as I would expect from CH, but for $100 shouldn't it be stainless?

For some reason I have my mind that stainless is a better choice, or doesn't it really matter?

These are on my list, and I was thinking smaller might be better for me as I'm mostly sitting outside.

HerbRipper stainless mini 1.5 inch
FlowerMill stainless mini 2.5 inch
BrilliantCutGrinder is rumored to be releasing a stainless with possibly an anodized color aluminum outer

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I'm not good about cleaning my grinders.
Phoenician and Lift have had more than a pound go thru them since last cleaning. I haven't owned the BC long enough to have done that. It has had about two ounces to munch on so far. I think these are all easy to use still and like that they are different from each other.

grind.jpg

greenmachinexlt

NoFuxLeft
Flower Mill, Herb Ripper, Brilliant Cut Grinder, Santa Cruz Shredder… Which is best / do you prefer? I’ve been having a tough time deciding between these 4..
I have the BCG and the SCS. I find no real difference in feel or operation between the two. The only difference between the two as far as I am concerned is that the BCG 3 piece is held together by magnets and the SCS 3 piece is magnet up top and a short thread on the bottom. The end results of the flower is the same with either.

If I were to do it again, I would not spend the $$$money and time on a BCG and be more than happy with the SCS. The SCS large 3 piece cost me about $40 shipped new on Ebay and the factory defect regular sized BCG was $67 shipped and a 3 week wait. BCG is pretty though. :)

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I have the BCG and the SCS. I find no real difference in feel or operation between the two. The only difference between the two as far as I am concerned is that the BCG 3 piece is held together by magnets and the SCS 3 piece is magnet up top and a short thread on the bottom. The end results of the flower is the same with either.
I used my SCSs for years but they frequently jam and need to be cleaned often. While my BCGs have not seen nearly the use that the SCSs did, they have seen plenty of flower. The BCG is always smooth and basically never needs cleaning. It think it is easier to target the grind that I want with the BCG too, but both do end up with a great grind of flower.

My experience with expensive grinders is that it is just a "quality of life" upgrade. I get pretty good results using scissors or picking by hand, but I get consistency and ease with a high-end grinder.

Also I'm a weirdo who likes to experiment with these kinds of things. I also love my Flowermill because it is completely different from any other grinder. And I just ordered an HR because I want to know if it is worth the fuss. :-)

Last edited:

greenmachinexlt

NoFuxLeft
I used my SCSs for years but they frequently jam and need to be cleaned often. While my BCGs have not seen nearly the use that the SCSs did, they have seen plenty of flower. The BCG is always smooth and basically never needs cleaning. It think it is easier to target the grind that I want with the BCG too, but both do end up with a great grind of flower.

My experience with expensive grinders is that it is just a "quality of life" upgrade. I get pretty good results using scissors or picking by hand, but I get consistency and ease with a high-end grinder.

Also I'm a weirdo who likes to experiment with these kinds of things. I also love my Flowermill because it is completely different from any other grinder. And I just ordered an HR because I want to know if it is worth the fuss. :-)
I should point out that I've had the SCS for just a few weeks and the BCG for a few days, so my opinion may well change with time and usage. I did go like 12 years using a Chromium Crusher as my daily driver so both of these grinders are like a whole new world for me and I think both of them are similarly amazing as first impressions go. I am not sorry I bought the BCG at all. I now have 2 top shelf grinders in 2 different sizes.

I agree that these grinders constitute a quality of life upgrade that is worth the expense. I've also been curious about the Flowermill and came close to grabbing one too, but I have buying new vapes and other related items like I am spending someone else's money and needed to reel that in for now. If I can find a used Flowermill for reasonable coin I would grab one.

On a side note; The BCG I received is perfect. I can not find a single mar, scratch or any other aesthetic issue with it. Not sure how it ended up as a factory defect. Compared to the regular price it was a good deal.

checkyourlibido

I love the Flowermill and the HR. I really just like stainless. But the Flowermill really is a unique experience. I like dumping all the flower in, and milling. It's just a tiny bit less thought than a traditional grinder. I also like all the options with grind size.

Despite this, I think I want a BCG when they come out with a stainless. But I don't think the Flowermill can be replaced for me.

androponic

vaped.
I love the Flowermill and the HR. I really just like stainless. But the Flowermill really is a unique experience. I like dumping all the flower in, and milling. It's just a tiny bit less thought than a traditional grinder. I also like all the options with grind size.

Despite this, I think I want a BCG when they come out with a stainless. But I don't think the Flowermill can be replaced for me.
100% this like it was pulled from my brain. I use the XL HR, and Flowermill. I did grab a second Flowermill for backup with it having all the extra pieces vs the HR. But yup i am all stainless and when BCG does one im sure im in since the mechanics of it are definitely something according to fans.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Whelp. I've used the Herb Ripper exclusively for the past few days and I am pretty disappointed. I thought it might be on par with the FM and the BCG. So far it seems like a SS Santa Cruz Shredder. It's action is not nearly as smooth as the FM and the BCG. It's quite easy to unscrew, but unfortunately that means I always start taking off the bottom when I start grinding. I guess I was expecting more. I was pretty surprised at the rough patches on the steel throughout, especially where the pieces overlap. I suspect that will wear down over time.

It's a good grinder. It's very solid, with consistent results. But in the end none of the "quality of life" upgrades I have come to expect.
Anyway, this is not to say it is not the best grinder for someone. Just a little disappointing.

DillGaff

Anyone have any experience with the HØJ Klip grinder?

Seems overpriced at $150 :shrug:

especially compared to the $65 BCG 4-piece 2.4" :clap:

Last edited:
DillGaff,

j3oomerang

Any of y'all try these grinders below? Looks to have a quick unlock system instead of traditional threads and it's ceramic coated.

This one talks about:
"High temperature vacuum nano ceramic technology. Through the high temperature vacuum technology, nano ceramics penetration into the aluminum materials, fill the gaps, fully dense. Make the grinder hardness is higher, no bacteria, more secure"

The FM and BCG sound great, but hard to justify the price.

j3oomerang,
Reactions: LesPlenty

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, I'm still pretty happy with my SLX so these very expensive grinders don't make good sense to me. But my not having GrAS is certainly a factor here and I suppose I should appreciate that more... ;)

Shit Snacks

Yeah, I'm still pretty happy with my SLX so these very expensive grinders don't make good sense to me. But my not having GrAS is certainly a factor here and I suppose I should appreciate that more... ;)

I could never go back, none of these have the anti-locking design of the BCG with the teeth in the side of the lid, that is 100% the best feature and I would pay any amount for it... Of course I also love the way they look, which is how I have so many now, but having just one BCG would be an end to GrAS easily for me! (If it didn't create BcgAS lol)

In my experience the ceramic coating doesn't do shit in the SLX, it does not turn slick, for me, I don't know why these others would be different, but perhaps worth trying?

A factory second BCG is not that much more money though... Now that that is an option, along with the 10% off sales, I really don't consider the BCG to be very expensive necessarily, just another step above, and well worth it given the function in my experience.

FM is also totally unique just not like any other grinder, so it is tough to compare, that is how you justify the price, these are unique high quality products not like any other grinder on the market... :2c: :tup:

Last edited:

j3oomerang

In my experience the ceramic coating doesn't do shit in the SLX, it does not turn slick, for me, I don't know why these others would be different, but perhaps worth trying?

I just like the idea of ceramic touching the weed over aluminum. Smooth rotation is important though. Just watched a video from Sneaky Pete on the BCG and you can see chipped paint on the close up shots...the video is from two years ago so maybe they have a better process now? If I were to spend more money I was actually leaning towards FM, but the features of the BCG you point out do add function no doubt.

Shit Snacks

I just like the idea of ceramic touching the weed over aluminum. Smooth rotation is important though.

I don't think it's really that simple, need to do more research on that ceramic coating, but there are notorious reports of it wearing off in the SLX, the color or even chips? I don't think there is really any danger from aluminum simply touching something, is it not inert? Just like ceramic and glass or any metal, why would it leech anything into dry material, even moist material??

Just watched a video from Sneaky Pete on the BCG and you can see chipped paint on the close up shots...the video is from two years ago so maybe they have a better process now?

There is no paint, there are some natural wear points, where the anodization color can fade and reveal the aluminum beneath, I'm not concerned about this personally, though it is not ideal and that is why many of us are anxious for the stainless steel version...

Look in the BCG thread, you can see many many photos, of this and many that are fine without it, I would not go by a Sneaky Pete video to judge anything visual myself?

If I were to spend more money I was actually leaning towards FM, but the features of the BCG you point out do add function no doubt.

Yeah man, I am glad I have both, but I hardly ever use my FM, I prefer the BCG since it is more of a traditional grinder design only perfected, for my needs, gives me more control over the grind and more consistency which I prefer for most of my vapes... Regardless of the size and the plate I am using...

FM premium is nice because you have the stainless steel inside available now, latest in the thread is not so positive, but my experience with it has been positive at least? However it sounds like maybe you should keep an eye out for the stainless steel BCG as well, the first offering is going to have an aluminum outer shell so it will look the same on the outside, but the inside will all be full brushed metal plain stainless steel for the ultimate peace of mind (I think they are also planning one that is entirely stainless steel that will surely be more expensive)

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Yeah, I'm still pretty happy with my SLX
Buy once, cry once.
I gave both my SL/x grinders away (were still shedding purple coating on q-tips) once I got my BCG, you will wonder how you put up with a SL/x after you upgrade...you should...you deserve it!

checkyourlibido

I could never go back, none of these have the anti-locking design of the BCG with the teeth in the side of the lid, that is 100% the best feature and I would pay any amount for it...
You are right. But the Flowermill has no teeth, which I like even more. I just don’t like the aluminum shavings. They need to work that out before I recommend them again.

Top Bottom