Herb Grinders

Phenix

how do you like the LIFT ? I own a cheap knockoff and its grind suck: plate to scissors loose, herb stuck often.
why do you own several?

Phenix,

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
how do you like the LIFT ? I own a cheap knockoff and its grind suck: plate to scissors loose, herb stuck often.
why do you own several?

1. I like the 1/4 turn tech, would never own another grinder that does not have it. Both the Phonecian and Lifts I own have it. Seems to work better on the Lifts, the Phoenician is more likely to slip on you when grinding.

2. With the grinders that have pins or blades on both sides you have to put your bud on one side and mash the two sides into each other through the bud. The lift has 3 compartments you place the bud into, no mashing, the top goes on easy.

3. I don't feel like there is as much strain on the wrist when grinding. These seem to grind through bud with less force needed. I don't have a way to measure this.

4. I have to clean these less often than others I own. My grinders with pins or blades tend to get dirty along the area where you turn and those rings they put around them get caked. The Lifts don't deposit residue in the same spots or because it works differently the residue doesn't feel like it impacts performance as much as the others. I clean mine about every 6 months or so. Due to the quantities of herb I grind I can't get away with that with the other grinders.
This is the blade spinning maybe not freely anymore but still well despite the residue and gunk of 3+ OZ.

5. I like the way it feels in my hand. The finish is smooth, the product feels substantial. It is on the heavier side of the grinders I have.

6. I use the little bowl/tool part they send. It's usually either holding something like ground up herb or a bunch of fury/mighty capsules.

7. I met the guy that either owns or runs the business at a convention. We didn't have a long discussion, a minute or two, but I thought he was a good dude. I like to spend my money with people I like if I can help it.

I own many grinders from the cheap free ones they send with vape purchases to a nice custom Phoenician. The Lifts are my favorite. I'd like to try some others though like the BCG others are excited about. I don't own a knock off of the Liftt so I'm not sure how they are different. I don't notice the looseness you discuss although a couple of times after taking it apart for cleaning I didn't get the sifting plate on tight enough and it did slip up when I tried to grind. This doesn't seem to reoccur after tightening properly.

I use the fine sifting plates. The grind isn't fine like the S&B orange grinders produce. I would characterize it as fluffy medium fine.

I own several because months after purchasing and liking the black one they offered a discount on the remaining copper ones they had. I thought I'd like to have two of the same grinder in day to day operation so I got it. I like to vape two types of herb a day so that is how I justified it in my head.
When I went to Champs they unveiled what was going to be the upcoming red version. Red is my favorite color. I thought the grinder looked gorgeous so I got it. I keep one in my poker night grab bag and the other two on my tray.

Phenix

@HughJundys thanks for your comment. I know that knockoffs dont work as gopd as the original.. thats why it got no use
How does the LIFT compare to the SCS? I own a SCS in red and love it. gras tiggles me ;)

Which grind plate do you prefer?
Is it a good idea to wait til their next sale? (likely black friday, no?) or better to get on their preorder list? 130USD feels expensive - rather 160USD for me EUropean :/

elykpeace

exVASted
Love my BCG from @Grinders for Life. @HughJundys how have you not gotten one yet?!

I haven't cleaned my onyx medium plate after i used it upside down (before my fine plate came in) no gunk has accumulated around the sides. No threads, jamfree, I really enjoy mine . I know they are working on a storage lid inplace of the top plate with teeth so you can store herbs in it and it's interchangeable with the grinding plates so you can go from grind to store with magnetic clasps instead of screwing something in. Don't know how far along they are but I'm excited they plan to innovate new products.

flammy

1. I like the 1/4 turn tech, would never own another grinder that does not have it. Both the Phonecian and Lifts I own have it. Seems to work better on the Lifts, the Phoenician is more likely to slip on you when grinding.

2. With the grinders that have pins or blades on both sides you have to put your bud on one side and mash the two sides into each other through the bud. The lift has 3 compartments you place the bud into, no mashing, the top goes on easy.

3. I don't feel like there is as much strain on the wrist when grinding. These seem to grind through bud with less force needed. I don't have a way to measure this.

4. I have to clean these less often than others I own. My grinders with pins or blades tend to get dirty along the area where you turn and those rings they put around them get caked. The Lifts don't deposit residue in the same spots or because it works differently the residue doesn't feel like it impacts performance as much as the others. I clean mine about every 6 months or so. Due to the quantities of herb I grind I can't get away with that with the other grinders.
This is the blade spinning maybe not freely anymore but still well despite the residue and gunk of 3+ OZ.

5. I like the way it feels in my hand. The finish is smooth, the product feels substantial. It is on the heavier side of the grinders I have.

6. I use the little bowl/tool part they send. It's usually either holding something like ground up herb or a bunch of fury/mighty capsules.

7. I met the guy that either owns or runs the business at a convention. We didn't have a long discussion, a minute or two, but I thought he was a good dude. I like to spend my money with people I like if I can help it.

I own many grinders from the cheap free ones they send with vape purchases to a nice custom Phoenician. The Lifts are my favorite. I'd like to try some others though like the BCG others are excited about. I don't own a knock off of the Liftt so I'm not sure how they are different. I don't notice the looseness you discuss although a couple of times after taking it apart for cleaning I didn't get the sifting plate on tight enough and it did slip up when I tried to grind. This doesn't seem to reoccur after tightening properly.

I use the fine sifting plates. The grind isn't fine like the S&B orange grinders produce. I would characterize it as fluffy medium fine.

I own several because months after purchasing and liking the black one they offered a discount on the remaining copper ones they had. I thought I'd like to have two of the same grinder in day to day operation so I got it. I like to vape two types of herb a day so that is how I justified it in my head.
When I went to Champs they unveiled what was going to be the upcoming red version. Red is my favorite color. I thought the grinder looked gorgeous so I got it. I keep one in my poker night grab bag and the other two on my tray.

I absolutely agree with everything above.

I also own a few grinders...Kannastor gr8tr V2, Homegrown Calicrusher, S&B herb mill, MFLB finisher, BCG (medium) and a slew of cheap non-anodized aluminum grinders.

The one thing that was not mentioned is the way this grinder has really minimized the amount of potential metal to metal contact. The amount of surface area that can experience that friction is a fraction of the surface area found on grinders that use teeth. Also, because the top piece is attached to the middle section via a rod vs just a magnet, there is no play in the movement of the top piece. That ability for the top piece to be able to move off the center alignment can cause friction issues with extend use but overall the lack of play on the Lift just makes it an easier grinder to use.

In summary, this grinds effortlessly and is built like a tank (weighs 1/2 lb). I can shove as material as the three chambers can fit and it still will not take additional force to grind. The knurled top makes it easier but I never have to apply any real force to turn the grinder. The removal of the traditional teeth is ingenious and makes a huge functional difference. I originally saw this a few years ago when they were crowd funding and actually dismissed them as a gimmick.

After picking the Lift up, you can tell that more money was spent on actual material for this grinder. Some see the extra parts of complexity but you shouldn't. There should not be a frequent need to dissemble and clean. Admittedly when I first got this, I cleaned it every week. I've since realized that regular cleaning of this grinder just isn't that necessary.

I think this grinder would be perfect for anyone that has dexterity issues due to the easy grind action and larger diameter. This is definitely a pricey grinder (albeit not pricier than its premium counterparts) but a grinder is the one tool that I use daily regardless of which vape I choose to pick up. I go through a fair amount of material and being able to grind so easily has been absolute bliss.

Once you start using it, you just start to understand the little things that were implemented to make this a better grinder. Is it perfect? No but but to be fair, I'm not sure one exists right now. That said, this is the best grinder I've ever personally used. When saying that, I factor in ease of use, consistency of grind, durability, efficiency and ease of cleaning.

Finally, although I have not met the folks behind Lift in person, I have had a chance to chat with Greg over DM a few times and I also follow their IG. Nice guys. I like what this company represents and is trying to do as a whole. They have values that they believe and are not afraid to champion those values. A little from their website:

Join us in supporting the use of recycled materials, proper disposal of hazardous waste, safe working conditions, and fair wages.

They are very enviro conscious which is not a deal killer for me when choosing to make a purchase from a company but it makes the choice that much easier. I want to support guys like this.

Rarely does a knockoff work as well as the real deal, whatever the circumstance.:2c:
Where is the best place for an Aussie to buy a Lift Grinder, @HughJundys has sold me?:tup:

I think a Lift might be hard to find in Australia. Lift might ship there but they are actually currently sold out but taking pre-orders for September shipment. That said, @VGOODIEZ stocks them and has all 3 colors in stock right now it seems. Maybe you could work something out with him to have it shipped to Australia? I got mine from Vgoodiez and it shipped super quick as usual.

If you can't tell, I like my Lift...a lot. I highly encourage those who go through a lot of material to look into this grinder. Your hands will thank you for it.

They were quite specific about the release date (down to the hour) and I checked yesterday and it was still to be released...today out of stock! They said they had 25 of them to sell.
So like @started@52 said... fess up, who is getting one.:tup:

Guilty. The SS lift is a real thing.

The irony of this is that I don't think that this purchase was necessary at all. In my opinion the way that the Lift is designed, the likelihood of aluminum wear is greatly reduced. I didn't get it because I thought it needed to be SS. I got it because I know it will work well and I like pretty things. I was actually on the hunt for an SS grinder a few months ago and stumbled upon the SS lift when they were first machining and tumbling. I was given a heads up about the potential cost and knew that it would a hard purchase to make without first making sure that the standard aluminum version worked as well as it does.

After I got my red Lift, I thought to myself that I wouldn't need the SS version due to how well built the standard one was. But when the SS version dropped, I couldn't help myself. That said, I figured that this purchase will quell any further flare ups of GrAS. I honestly can't see buying another grinder for a very long time....and it's so shiny! This SS version should last me for life but to be fair, I feel the same of my standard version.

Last edited:

flammy

I had to double post due to exceeding character count...please forgive me.

Wow. that's ridiculous. What are we supposed to do with that?

Also, if we are expected to pay waaaaaaaaaaay above top-dollar for this, what are we to think about these kind of visual flaws without expecting them to be buffed out in the retail version?

mail.jpg

This is indeed a pricey grinder...I don't think anyone can dispute that. That said, the XL Herb Ripper with all plates costs $225 and much more goes into the Lift than the HR.

But yes, those are machining marks that you have pointed out but IMO, they aren't offensive to look at all. I might have missed it if it weren't pointed out to me. Additionally, it won't affect functionality in any way and is on the underside of the middle chamber so it will never be seen unless you have completely disassembled the grinder since the blade AND the grinding plate actually covers that entire area.

I trust that these guys would have removed those visual flaws if they felt it made sense but they've already been working on these SS grinders since before May. They have gone back to retool their tumblers simply because the result showed small barely visible nicks on the surface which resulted in the delay of the drop. I don't think this can be viewed as some sort of greedy cash grab by Lift. Only 25 of these were made and they all sold out within less than 12 hours. They also don't have plans to make more for roughly another year.

When I received my confirmation email to let me know where in the purchase line I was, they were not willing to provide a time estimate on delivery as they may elect to retumble if the result doesn't meet their standards. From what I understand, they aim to finish 5 of these a month.

For someone who has never used a Lift, I can easily see how one could balk at the price. I had a hard time justifying this purchase myself but just couldn't help myself. I just figured this would be the ultimate grinder purchase and would set me up for years and years of easy use.

In short, I would have a hard time trying to convince someone that this SS version is "worth it" since the standard works so well but on the flip side, knowing the time and process that is need to produce one, it will be hard for someone to convince me that these are a ripoff. It's a niche variation and in my opinion, this wasn't meant for the masses (hence the very very limited release of 25).

EDIT: Although I don't feel like the SS version is for everyone, I do think the standard is. Given how much money we can spend on vapes and herb, I truly feel like the standard Lift is a very worthy investment that will last for a long time. I laugh a little thinking about the times that I struggled to get my grinders to work well. Really wish I would have bought one much sooner. Big thanks to @VGOODIEZ for stocking these for us.

The only other grinders that I use now are the BCG and MFLB finisher. The BCG is my travel grinder but since it gets such infrequent use, I might actually sell it.

Last edited:

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I figured that this purchase will quell any further flare ups of GrAS. I honestly can't see buying another grinder for a very long time....and it's so shiny! This SS version should last me for life but to be fair, I feel the same of my standard version.

When you think that another purchase will cure your addiction it is time to admit you have a problem. :)

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I had to double post due to exceeding character count...please forgive me.

This is indeed a pricey grinder...I don't think anyone can dispute that. That said, the XL Herb Ripper with all plates costs $225 and much more goes into the Lift than the HR.

But yes, those are machining marks that you have pointed out but IMO, they aren't offensive to look at all. I might have missed it if it weren't pointed out to me. Additionally, it won't affect functionality in any way and is on the underside of the middle chamber so it will never be seen unless you have completely disassembled the grinder since the blade AND the grinding plate actually covers that entire area.

I trust that these guys would have removed those visual flaws if they felt it made sense but they've already been working on these SS grinders since before May. They have gone back to retool their tumblers simply because the result showed small barely visible nicks on the surface which resulted in the delay of the drop. I don't think this can be viewed as some sort of greedy cash grab by Lift. Only 25 of these were made and they all sold out within less than 12 hours. They also don't have plans to make more for roughly another year.

When I received my confirmation email to let me know where in the purchase line I was, they were not willing to provide a time estimate on delivery as they may elect to retumble if the result doesn't meet their standards. From what I understand, they aim to finish 5 of these a month.

For someone who has never used a Lift, I can easily see how one could balk at the price. I had a hard time justifying this purchase myself but just couldn't help myself. I just figured this would be the ultimate grinder purchase and would set me up for years and years of easy use.

In short, I would have a hard time trying to convince someone that this SS version is "worth it" since the standard works so well but on the flip side, knowing the time and process that is need to produce one, it will be hard for someone to convince me that these are a ripoff. It's a niche variation and in my opinion, this wasn't meant for the masses (hence the very very limited release of 25).

EDIT: Although I don't feel like the SS version is for everyone, I do think the standard is. Given how much money we can spend on vapes and herb, I truly feel like the standard Lift is a very worthy investment that will last for a long time. I laugh a little thinking about the times that I struggled to get my grinders to work well. Really wish I would have bought one much sooner. Big thanks to @VGOODIEZ for stocking these for us.

The only other grinders that I use now are the BCG and MFLB finisher. The BCG is my travel grinder but since it gets such infrequent use, I might actually sell it.

Don't worry. As much as I talk shit about this stainless one, A regular model has been on my want-list for some time.

A bigger part of what's held me back from eating ramen for a couple of weeks for one of these things is that it has widely mixed reviews. A lot of people like it, but a lot of people were not impressed with it.

Also, the general idea I've gotten is that it's great for people who like chunky medium to coarse grind...but it's not ideal for those of us that prefer a more even and fine grind.

Obsessed 2

Nicely written up. Comprehensive and very objective :cheers:

Ramahs

I just noticed there’s a new 2.5 version with “Refined non-stick ceramic coating for extra smooth grinding.”

slx%20green.jpg

You try'na tell me that there's a new SLX around that doesn't feel like rubbing sandpaper together when you twist it?
I just might have to pick one up the next time there's a sale!

Where did you hear about it? I just googled it and didn't even see anything about it on the manufacturer's website. I take it that it hasn't been released yet?

MoltenTiger

As ugly as the version branding is, it does appear to be the real deal.

I saw it on Ozbongs who are a certified seller here in Aus for the SLX and many other goodies.
I find it always pays to check their Newest items listings, this time there was SLX v2.5 units in all the colours.

All that was mentioned was what I copy-pasted from the listing*. I came here to see what the story was with the new coating, but it doesn't appear to be launched or referenced anywhere else yet

Actually there's more -

Non-Stick Ceramic Coating
SLX Version 2.5 is coated inside and out with our proprietary non-stick ceramic. Every lip, every tooth - even the pollen chamber. It never sticks, and it doesn’t need cleaning. Our coating is bonded with the aluminum at the molecular level, ensuring durability, is 100% non-toxic, FDA approved, and will not burn or release any harmful chemicals.

But that's exactly the same as the Version 2.0 spiel - so I don't know what could be expected. Smoother would be a move in the right direction though.

Also the price has remained unchanged and the large 62mm size is effectively 60USD

Further digging revealed a couple of cool things - Trays. & that just the application method may have changed.
Pi2vFZC.png

https://i.imgur.com/Pi2vFZC.png

Last edited:

Ramahs

As ugly as the version branding is, it does appear to be the real deal.

I saw it on Ozbongs who are a certified seller here in Aus for the SLX and many other goodies.
I find it always pays to check their Newest items listings, this time there was SLX v2.5 units in all the colours.

All that was mentioned was what I copy-pasted from the listing*. I came here to see what the story was with the new coating, but it doesn't appear to be launched or referenced anywhere else yet

Actually there's more -

Non-Stick Ceramic Coating
SLX Version 2.5 is coated inside and out with our proprietary non-stick ceramic. Every lip, every tooth - even the pollen chamber. It never sticks, and it doesn’t need cleaning. Our coating is bonded with the aluminum at the molecular level, ensuring durability, is 100% non-toxic, FDA approved, and will not burn or release any harmful chemicals.

But that's exactly the same as the Version 2.0 spiel - so I don't know what could be expected. Smoother would be a move in the right direction though.

Also the price has remained unchanged and the large 62mm size is effectively 60USD

Further digging revealed a couple of cool things - Trays. & that just the application method may have changed.
Pi2vFZC.png

https://i.imgur.com/Pi2vFZC.png

Hmmm. Maybe they released it in Australia first?

MoltenTiger

I sent Ozbongs a message asking why they are the only people in the world selling this as most believe it may be a fake/knock-off.:tup:
Nice one, I’m interested in what they’ll have to say.

Herb Ripper and BCG
2-C58-BAE8-DABC-4646-9582-B9-FF01-E77-BC1.jpg
0-A66-FB9-F-4-C92-40-FA-BC75-AE9870-A18-E11.jpg
5535-B858-3-DA5-4-E2-A-A973-630431260-C37.jpg
Nice shots. The Herb Ripper looks a good size, but I guess you could fit bigger nugs in the BCG because of the drill tip

Top Bottom