Herb Grinders

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Yay! It's New Grinder Day!

I wanted a little "pocket"travel grinder and, after looking around, I went with this two-piece. It's my first Mendo Mulcher and it looks like it will fit the niche I was trying to fill quite nicely. It's small (1.75" wide x 1.00" tall). The quarter in the pics is for scale:

IMG-1319.jpg

IMG-1322.jpg

In case you're interested, here's a link to Mendo's page where I purchased it: https://mendomulchers.com/product/2-piece/1-75-inch-double-thickgrip-edge-2-piece-grinder/ Only $21.99 and there was no shipping charge. Plus, it arrived in my mailbox only a couple days after I placed the order!

They have a smaller 1.5" model that is thinner, but I went with this one for the thicker knurled grippy sides.
I'm super happy to add it to my collection! :party:

(**edit**)
I ground a bit longer than I should have...but that little thing is capable of a helluva fine frind if you grind long enough. lol :smug:
IMG-1323.jpg

Last edited:

Ramahs

^ That is one superfine grind.

Yeah, it wasn't quite as fine as what my MFLB Finishing Grinder produces, but it was in the same ballpark. It was fine enough that I could have used it with my MFLB if I'd wanted to. It did provide one nice long, thick, milky one-hitter-quitter with my Woodscents log and a waterpiece though. :smug:

Ramahs

@Ramahs How much was that? A medium sized bud? Curious how much it can handle.

I think it was three little 1/2" popcorn buds and a pinch of shake.

Still the king, the most underrated, consistently to perform grinder.

8fd5i52b.jpg

I have one. Not that I'm saying it's bad as most plastic grinders, but I honestly didn't find it specifically impressive, especially when compared to my decent quality metal grinders.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Nice of S&B to supply one with each of their products, but yeah, only just compared to most meral grinders, I even found a bit of orange plastic in with my herbs when using it brand new (goes to show even one of the best medical approved suppliers need their stuff cleaned properly before first use).:tup:

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Hey Folks,
I just picked up the new Herb Ripper XL a few days ago and all I can say is WOW.

Anyone on the fence, just buy it!!! You will not be disappointed!!!! Once I use all 3 plates I'll give more feedback.

So now that Dynavap has added the Ripper to their website as an official DV Accessory i guess my decision is made ;).... im leaning towards the 4 piece combo with all three grind plates as i know I'll be wanting both the fine and medium and why stop there ... but at that price I'll wait till Black Friday and make it an early Chrismas present to myself ...

https://twitter.com/DynaVapCap/status/1159651564782542849?s=19

20190813-202056.jpg

Last edited:

Ramahs

So now that Dynavap has added the Ripper to their website as an official DV Accessory i guess my decision is made ;).... im leaning towards the 4 piece combo with all three grind plates as i know I'll be wanting both the fine and medium and why stop there ... but at that price I'll wait till Black Friday and make it an early Chrismas present to myself ...

20190813-202056.jpg

Dynavap did wha? Really?

I just checked, and sure enough, they did it. Not sure how I feel about that.

flammy

I think it was three little 1/2" popcorn buds and a pinch of shake.

I have one. Not that I'm saying it's bad as most plastic grinders, but I honestly didn't find it specifically impressive, especially when compared to my decent quality metal grinders.

It's a decent grinder but most useful when using the attachment meant to assist in filling the might/crafty chamber. If grinders could be made that cheaply and still perform as well as quality metal grinders, a lot of companies wouldn't be around anymore. This said, I know people who swear by these...I'm just not one of them.

I'd still love to hear more feedback on how this is functionally superior to other options out right now. Is it just the all SS construction? There are other all SS options and the Herb Ripper seems to have full threading which would be a deal killer for me. Leaning towards one of these when it comes back in stock:

https://www.unitedmachining.us/products/united-stainless-steel-herb-grinder

Ramahs

Why the concern Ramahs?

I dunno. Maybe I'm just spoiled and sick of grinders with threads.

Not to say I would never buy a grinder with threads...but I don't know what's so special about this particular grinder over others.

Oh well, I've been feeling the itch to get one recently, so maybe one day I will know for myself.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I don't know what's so special about this particular grinder
No anodizing or aluminium to wear off and end up being vaped (BCG dig, one person defended them by saying; 'I use mine heaps, at least once a week and it is fine, heaps and once a week made me laugh)):tup:
I must agree @Ramahs the threading on my 88mm SpaceCase can get annoyingly gummed up and is the only downside to the grinder. As a guy with a grinder fetish, what is your 'Goto' grinder or do you use different grinders for different vapes (leaving out the Majic Flight and its finishing grinder pair up)?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
No anodizing or aluminium to wear off and end up being vaped (BCG dig, one person defended them by saying; 'I use mine heaps, at least once a week and it is fine, heaps and once a week made me laugh)):tup:

Anodization doesn't "wear down" - or chip, or flake though... It's physically impossible.

It's possible and in fact plausible that the metal is uh... simply wearing down upon use.

I'd be interested in more testing (perhaps microwaving freshly ground bud, rather than ABV) but I am pretty satisfied by the small experiment @Jill NYC ran.

Maybe @Grinders for Life would mind explaining how it's possible metal could wear down after use?????

V2 better be made of unobtanium? :argh:

Last edited:
muunch,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
muunch,
Reactions: Silat

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Anodising may not "chip" or "peel", but it most certainly CAN wear.
How do I know?
I have anodised aluminium many times, and have often 'worked' pieces after the anodising process.
In fact, I have often acid etched aluminium to introduce a pronounced surface texture, then uniformly coloured the surface via anodisation before deliberately 'weathering' the finish by abrasion via a bench mounted wire polishing wheel.
This wears the coloured coating off the exposed ridges and high spots giving the impression of extreme weathering.

Aluminium anodising is achieved by preparing the surface with acid which oxidises the surface.
Open pores in the oxide surface are filled with dye, giving colour.
This oxide layer can be considered a part of the alloy substrate, but even though it does not exhibit chipping or peeling such as paint might, it most certainly CAN wear down.
Most objects we see that have been finished like this are no more resistant to wear than regular aluminium, which is a fairly soft metal.

There are other, more expensive forms of anodisation which can produce a surface which is harder than the original metal (e.g. HA III), but again, this does not result in a surface which cannot wear.
I have no idea which method is used by grinder manufacturers, but although some will resist wear much better than others, they are all surbject to wear and tear.

Just FYI, and please note that I don't claim to have any clue as to material safety in this application!
I'm merely discussing the physical properties of the metal/finish.

Having said that, my own pref' for grinder material would be either stainless, HA III, Cerakote or titanium nitride coating, all of which offer far better abrasion resistance than regular anodised aluminium.

Titanium nitride coating can be found even on cheap and cheerful drill-bits (just one of many examples), and is fantastically tough, so it surprises me that no herb grinder manufacturers have exploited it yet.
Imagine the inside of your grinder shining with a non-stick coating which looks like gold plating!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Nice. Super passive aggressive for someone who demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the topic at hand.
Grinders, you are right, I only own 4 and know fuck all about them, even less about how they are colored but do know when something wears off it does not just disappear, like magic...passive aggressive indeed!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Nice. Super passive aggressive for someone who demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the topic at hand.

https://www.adinternationalbv.com/services/metal-surface-treatment/anodizing

"This aluminium oxide layer is fully integrated with the underlying aluminium substrate. This means it cannot chip or peel"

Again, the metal is just wearing down... but continue to be passive aggressive.....

:tup:
Grinders, you are right, I only own 4 and know fuck all about them, even less about how they are colored but do know when something wears off it does not just disappear, like magic...passive aggressive indeed!

Please do not comment on another member's posting style. If a post breaks a rule, report it and do not respond. If you must reply, use a PM. No rules have been broken here yet, but calling a post "passive aggressive" starts down that road, as the response shows.

Thanks for your cooperation.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit

... I was talking about the anodization. Which you clearly STILL don't understand after someone explained it even more in depth than the link I provided.

Owning grinders doesn't bestow you with material knowledge (clearly)

Last edited:
muunch,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I just said I only own 4, which is fuck all, many members have drawers full, what else do you want me to say, I said I know even less about coatings..., how mich dumber am I supposed to be before you will feel good.:uhh:

It has nothing to do with that?

I just don't want verifiably false information perpetuated... which you seem hellbent on doing?

But thanks for the personal attack!

Last edited:
muunch,
Top Bottom