Herb Grinders

redrum891

Will find out what's so great about the BCG soon, just ordered two (one for a gift) with the sale going on right now
I assume that the grinder offers a bunch of different grinding plates, top notch build quality(something about teeth on the edges to keep flower from getting stuck or not grounded up good?) and of course the beautiful top design and probably the 2nd most important reason is the easy use of being able to open it fast with the super strong magnet along with a custom scooper and bam you only need to grab a few buds and a few turns and your good to sesh for a while, nothing else to worry or keep track of.

I have a Raw life v3 shredder, boy is this thing sharp and super fluffy flower. Big difference from a regular $20 amazon grinder. I'm wondering if anyone else has tested it against BCG or FM? I ordered a FM since I have a good teeth grinder over the BCG.

Sucks people giving a small start up like FM a super hard time for small % of grinders that got messed up when machining them. So they lost that hype wave for a bit but fixed the product and BCG got even bigger (plus Troy and Jerry use the BCG and everyone likes them, giving honest reviews).

I'll play devils advocate, I rather have my bud mill(kind of like pulling it apart to keep the material intact then cut it with the plate), keeping as much trichomes on it compared to smashing and shredding it. I know it probably isn't much and since most people have access to good herb, losing .01% of it to the teeth/smash won't effect getting medicated.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Sucks people giving a small start up like FM a super hard time for small % of grinders that got messed up when machining them. So they lost that hype wave for a bit but fixed the product and BCG got even bigger (plus Troy and Jerry use the BCG and everyone likes them, giving honest reviews).
I don't think that is really what happened, but obviously others might interpret things differently. I don't really care what Troy and Jerry say: they make a living selling us these products. Good for them! It doesn't mean they can't have an opinion and useful feedback, but it also means that obviously they are incentivized to make us interested in buying them. BCG just lives up to the hype and then some.

Flower Mill I think just should have responded better. I agree that lots of customers are over the line and karen like, but when its a safety thing there isn't really room for "oh you qualify for this upgrade" vs "we don't think yours was affected enough." You already produced a bad product and lost customer trust, the only thing to do at this point is your best to win it back. To me that would have been "hey if you think you were affected you don't have to prove it, just send your order # to verify proof of purchase and we'll send a replacement with the fix."

redrum891

I don't think that is really what happened, but obviously others might interpret things differently. I don't really care what Troy and Jerry say: they make a living selling us these products. Good for them! It doesn't mean they can't have an opinion and useful feedback, but it also means that obviously they are incentivized to make us interested in buying them. BCG just lives up to the hype and then some.

Flower Mill I think just should have responded better. I agree that lots of customers are over the line and karen like, but when its a safety thing there isn't really room for "oh you qualify for this upgrade" vs "we don't think yours was affected enough." You already produced a bad product and lost customer trust, the only thing to do at this point is your best to win it back. To me that would have been "hey if you think you were affected you don't have to prove it, just send your order # to verify proof of purchase and we'll send a replacement with the fix."

Everyone knew they were a start up, they did go in the dark, probably panicking that their investments were at stake of losing everything(including any friends money) and they did go silent for a little, but they offered full refunds or sent out a new unit. I hate to say it but there are a lot of variables that you deal with in a business, one part are people trying to steal from you.

A very small % of the grinders were affected with the dust issue(one of the first models) and I wonder how many e-mailing them, trying to either straight up scam, hoping to use an online pic to get a replacement sent(paying for shipping to get the customers broken grinder isn't worth it business wise usually). People who had the old designs and just wanted the upgraded newer better working models, even though they went in, knowing they are spending money to test a product and almost everyone wants the updated model of something they like and have no morals.

It's all subjective anyway on peoples outlook on how they dealt with an issue that very small % that had it and a small team who have people going max karen mode, screaming on god knows how many fake e-mails trying to make a buck or a free grinder. Knowing that they can ruin someone's hard work with making rage essays about customer service and the product, a small start up can fall so fast, cancel culture! The internet is ruthless

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@redrum891 I don’t think you should ever go dark or blame customers who gave you money for being early adopters. I also think that when you’ve already made a big mistake with your product you should default to trusting your customers unless you have data making it clear that dishonest customers looking for a free grinder are a significant portion of your cx correspondence.

To my knowledge they are still around, so maybe things will change down the road and I’m sure having limited resources made a lot of that difficult for them. It just wasn’t a good look from an outsider pov. If a mistake like that is going to happen I’d want to see evidence that the majority of customers feel they were dealt with squarely, not what that became.

bigheaded1

Well, I wasn't around for the problems some people had with Flower Mill and getting a replacement. But my mini's amazing and I can't get over how fast it is and how I never have to go back for 2nd pass after opening it to get the rest ground up. I've only had mine a few weeks, but I use it a couple of times a day and it's flawless. I don't know if I'll ever have to even clean it. I'd love to try another milling grinder for comparison, but I just don't see another grinder with teeth being worth trying. Even the ones here everybody goes crazy over like the BCG. I love my Marley Natural one, but it's probably just gonna sit on the shelf and look pretty now.

Last edited:

redrum891

@redrum891 I don’t think you should ever go dark or blame customers who gave you money for being early adopters. I also think that when you’ve already made a big mistake with your product you should default to trusting your customers unless you have data making it clear that dishonest customers looking for a free grinder are a significant portion of your cx correspondence.

To my knowledge they are still around, so maybe things will change down the road and I’m sure having limited resources made a lot of that difficult for them. It just wasn’t a good look from an outsider pov. If a mistake like that is going to happen I’d want to see evidence that the majority of customers feel they were dealt with squarely, not what that became.
Yeah, I know it isn't right and a bad choice. From what I read, they did offer customers replacements from what I saw on the thread, I never saw anyone who had proof of purchase and got denied....

Going dark for a time is bad, no idea how their funds look and either dissolve the company and gamble while taking a loss on the rebound to keep going.

The flower mill works pretty amazing in my opinion. I have a raw life grinder v3, that has little wave groove on the lip to keep flower from getting stuck on the sides, like the bcg has actual teeth to combat that, which is another good selling point people like. flower mill shreds your crap up in like 10 seconds, even moist herb(that is smokable/vape)....

Both are great grinders. Flower mill has seem to fix their issue, and offers a SS option too. I just think people go a little harsh on em for 1 mistake and have worked on making the product even better, if someone has proof of purchase and they denied a replacement then I would definitely say that is shitty but I haven't seen any proof of that happening.

Just wanted to show a little love to them, I don't want a war! Just BCG gets praised so much! Which they deserve.

Finessseee

What is technically the safest / healthiest grinder? Hypothetically speaking.. or scientifically speaking.. what materials are considered to be the healthiest / safest grinder? Stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, medical grade plastic, hemp based, etc. Are there any medically safe grinders out there? Genuine question!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
What is technically the safest / healthiest grinder? Hypothetically speaking.. or scientifically speaking.. what materials are considered to be the healthiest / safest grinder? Stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, medical grade plastic, hemp based, etc. Are there any medically safe grinders out there? Genuine question!

Many people find stainless steel to be the ultimate but that is technically subjective?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Many people find stainless steel to be the ultimate but that is technically subjective?
You will hear a lot of unscientific and unsubstantiated bullshit about aluminum. I am not a fan of plastic because it breaks easily.

I think it mostly depends on what you are looking for. I tend to prefer good quality materials from well-known manufacturers. But I don't think this forum is the best place to source medical advice.

ETA: whoops quoted Shit snacks but meant to reply to Finessseee. Oh well.

Boreus

I'd like to get a stainless steel one for this reason but I haven't been able to talk myself into dropping that kind of cash yet.
I just found SCS makes hemp based ones, mine just came in today, but I haven't used it yet. I figure they're probably the 2nd best option.
Note: I am no scientist. This is based of no real facts that I am aware of. This mostly started because the wear on the aluminum ones makes me uneasy.

First time use update: Grind isn't as fluffy as the normal SCS but I don't know what magic that thing does. Still an A+ grind. The use is impressively smooth, though it takes a few more turns because I think the holes to drop through are a little smaller than the regular version.
No magnet to connect the top though, I didn't notice at first but something seemed off with how I had to hold it on when I flipped the grinder, until it just hit me.

Finessseee

First time use update: Grind isn't as fluffy as the normal SCS but I don't know what magic that thing does. Still an A+ grind. The use is impressively smooth, though it takes a few more turns because I think the holes to drop through are a little smaller than the regular version.
No magnet to connect the top though, I didn't notice at first but something seemed off with how I had to hold it on when I flipped the grinder, until it just hit me.
I had that same hemp herb grinder and it’s great at first, but two things that bothered me were the fact that it comes apart easily since there’s no magnet and then it gets tough to turn after a month or so of usage so def clean it out after awhile and then it’ll work as designed again. Otherwise it’s a fantastic budget grinder that’s most likely safe although I’m not sure how it’s colored hemp? Like is it painted or something? Can hemp be natural while colored?

redrum891

I had that same hemp herb grinder and it’s great at first, but two things that bothered me were the fact that it comes apart easily since there’s no magnet and then it gets tough to turn after a month or so of usage so def clean it out after awhile and then it’ll work as designed again. Otherwise it’s a fantastic budget grinder that’s most likely safe although I’m not sure how it’s colored hemp? Like is it painted or something? Can hemp be natural while colored?

Boreus

Oh no! That's bad news because I'm lazy and hate cleaning grinders. We'll see what the future brings. ...I wonder if it would be worth trying to add a magnet....
I was also curious about the color thing too but couldn't find much in my few minute search.

I saw that RAW one, I'd be in if they had a 3 or 4 piece.

redrum891

Oh no! That's bad news because I'm lazy and hate cleaning grinders. We'll see what the future brings. ...I wonder if it would be worth trying to add a magnet....
I was also curious about the color thing too but couldn't find much in my few minute search.

I saw that RAW one, I'd be in if they had a 3 or 4 piece.
raw life is perfect for joints, i love mine, so sharp , super fluffy and my volcano loves it....shreds! and easy to clean . comes apart ez, no tools needed and removable screen.

but flowermill>....cleaning np
or bcg

Last edited:

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
You will hear a lot of unscientific and unsubstantiated bullshit about aluminum.
Sure, but it's very easy to find pix of colored anodized aluminum grinders where the finish has been worn off the teeth; the dyed oxide has to have gone into the ground product. Hard pass.
I'd like to get a stainless steel one for this reason but I haven't been able to talk myself into dropping that kind of cash yet.
...the wear on the aluminum ones makes me uneasy.
As well it should! Not looking for anything extra in my flower.

Oh no! That's bad news because I'm lazy and hate cleaning grinders. .
Fwiw, my herb ripper looks brand new emerging from the dishwasher. I don't love it; while it works well it's pretty small and my hands complain about the grip required to torque through .5g of dense sticky flower.

feralcomprehension,
Reactions: Finessseee

Squidge

Butane powered
Sure, but it's very easy to find pix of colored anodized aluminum grinders where the finish has been worn off the teeth; the dyed oxide has to have gone into the ground product. Hard pass.

As well it should! Not looking for anything extra in my flower.

Fwiw, my herb ripper looks brand new emerging from the dishwasher. I don't love it; while it works well it's pretty small and my hands complain about the grip required to torque through .5g of dense sticky flower.
The only way to guarantee there is nothing "extra" in your herb is to shred it with your fingers. Though you might want to wash your hands/clean under your fingernails first 😉

Or, of course, use whole nugs. 👍

Finessseee

So is this the only naturally hemp based Grinder on the market? The SCS ones are still hemp based, but must be colored somehow which I wouldn’t consider as natural?

Finessseee,

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
So is this the only naturally hemp based Grinder on the market?
There are several. I bought this one for travel bc the beige color (more gray IRL) *feels* more pure.

Be careful of the marketing, though. Hemp bioplastics are only about 40-60% plant material. The rest is resin, which can be either hemp or petroleum-derived.

Fine for me bc my main goal was to avoid packing a hunk of metal that might trigger TSA scrutiny. It’s legal— I just didn’t want to deal (or have to explain my vapes).

Btw, it puts out a fluffy and consistent if somewhat coarse grind (but it’s a 2 piece so just keep at it). A thick rubber band on the seam keeps it securely closed and adds a nice pop of color to boot.

Top Bottom