Herb Grinders

SquirrelMaster

I wouldn't say it's the only option, the UMG grind without the plate is pretty coarse! :tup:
The HR coarse is super chunky, like the BCG coarse. More so for my particular plate. The UMG feels more like the medium to me. You don't find that when comparing the BCG plates to UMG with/without insert?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The HR coarse is super chunky, like the BCG coarse. More so for my particular plate. The UMG feels more like the medium to me. You don't find that when comparing the BCG plates to UMG with/without insert?

I don't have BCG coarse plate, or their secret chunky coarse, never used either of those so I cannot compare! But the UMG 2.0 standard style without plate, no upside down grinding, seemed to give me a more coarse grind than doing the same with BCG medium plate at least! So I really need BCG coarse plate lol

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Ramahs

SquirrelMaster

I don't have BCG coarse plate, or their secret chunky coarse, never used either of those so I cannot compare! But the UMG 2.0 standard style without plate, no upside down grinding, seemed to give me a more coarse grind than doing the same with BCG medium plate at least! So I really need BCG coarse plate lol
I thought you had the coarse for some reason but I think I was just mixing up the comments you made about wanting one because you've mentioned it a few times. That super chunky coarse would be nuts!

Shit Snacks

I thought you had the coarse for some reason but I think I was just mixing up the comments you made about wanting one because you've mentioned it a few times. That super chunky coarse would be nuts!

Haha yeah I keep posting lately about how I wish I got one with my large instead of just getting a medium plate I should have gotten the full set this time!! That's why I am considering a second large BCG with just the coarse plate (similar to what I did originally, getting regular BCG with fine plate, then later getting another entire BCG with medium plate) or the chunky coarse... Also because I still don't have the Sapphire or the Ruby or the standard Amethyst colors yet! ;) :lol:

The new extra coarse plate I am testing with my Flower Mill is pretty fun though and makes me feel less pressure for getting BCG coarse asap now, it is almost like using whole nugs pre broken up! Very nice for my TM multi WPA with the fixed glass screen for flavor savoring bowls through the J hook!

Last edited:

purepotstill

Have only the coarse plate with my HR, and I love it. More taste than with finer grinds, and still enough vapour for me. Find grind really consistent. I'm pretty sure @SquirrelMaster has made all the tests good, and that it may struggle with big and moist buds when hot, but tbh, I will never need to full my HR XL... It would make a lot more that I ever want. And more now I'm microdosing (I'm using between a quarter and a half basket screen depending on the weed and the time)...

Don't have to complain with the grip though, maybe the XL version easier to hold and use than the normal one ?

Texus

Returned home today to the pleasant surprise of a trial XL grind plate from Flower Mill. Been away so not sure about the specific details, but it gave me a real nice chunky grind in my first go-round. That Flower Mill Premium with its hybrid 3-part/4-part desgin and these plates is such a damn impressive grinder option.

Shit Snacks

Returned home today to the pleasant surprise of a trial XL grind plate from Flower Mill. Been away so not sure about the specific details, but it gave me a real nice chunky grind in my first go-round. That Flower Mill Premium with its hybrid 3-part/4-part desgin and these plates is such a damn impressive grinder option.

Nice! I've been enjoying mine the past week or so, posting in the flower mill thread :tup:

Last edited:

Okla68

Have only the coarse plate with my HR, and I love it. More taste than with finer grinds, and still enough vapour for me. Find grind really consistent. I'm pretty sure @SquirrelMaster has made all the tests good, and that it may struggle with big and moist buds when hot, but tbh, I will never need to full my HR XL... It would make a lot more that I ever want. And more now I'm microdosing (I'm using between a quarter and a half basket screen depending on the weed and the time)...

Don't have to complain with the grip though, maybe the XL version easier to hold and use than the normal one ?
I still find mine Small feeling, thinking the XL would be more comfortable during the twist/grind. But, absolutely no reason for the larger size other than that. A loaded Reg(2") HR will produce more than a couple days worth of material for me these days. When I 1st got it, I ground up enough material to last a month of use just to enjoy grinding it, lol. Have Never cleaned it after 6 months use. And current product is Totally Frosted SUGAR RUSH(looks like it was dipped powdered sugar) and Still not needing to be cleaned.
IMO, BEST GRINDER EVER !!
WELL WORTH THE $100 PRICE TAG !!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi Guys, I said, months ago, in this thread how I ordered a QB-GON grinder, a solid grinder made in Greece with wood encasing and blades mechanism. To be honnest before to get it I wasn't impressed, but I talked with the maker and decided to support his idea and bought a unit, I got a tiny discount but it's not a low budget grinder since it retails at 139€.

Here the grinder:

qb-gon-grinder-changes-everything-prep-bud-1-1000x600.jpg

In short there is 4 layers:
- top layer, you have to remove it to load the grinder or to remove the mechanism of blades
- medium up layer, it contains the mechanism
- medium bottom layer, it's the collection chamber, there is a screen (removeable) to allow kief to go throug in the last layer chamber
- bottom layer is the kief collection chamber or the main chamber if, like me you remove the screen. the metal cup is magnetically attached

Every layer is magnetically attached to each others and you can flip them to work your own "custom" design, yes ALL layers are flip-able!

The mechanism is made of moving blades AND every moving blade have its unmoving counterpart blade. made from stainless steel. There was a lot of different mechanisms tested.

qb-gon-grinder-changes-everything-prep-bud-2.jpg

The mechanism shown here is old, the two differents versions I had wasn't similar to this one.

The one I ordered came in during Falls 2020, I'm a grower and the weed wasn't dry enough at the moment, and usually I haven't flowers with less than 45% RH since I'm living in a old stone made house in a forest. This is to say I initially disliked the QB-GON cause it was impossible to turn only after 2-3 loads of pretty moist flowers and since I use that sort of moistur content all the time... although I noticed a lot of grinders can't handle that moisture level well enough. So, after a good cleaning (I'll come back on that topic above), I tried to dry a lot more some buds and noticed the QB-GON handled it perfectly, very fine grind size using that first mechanism but requires very well dried flowers (less than 30%RH I believe).
Maybe I'm a dick but I said the QB-GON guys their grinder would be unusuable for me since most of my flowers have a high humidity content, I like that for the fresher taste rather than too dry flowers, by the past I was placing some buds on an electrical device slightly hot to dry it but with kids I can't do that anymore.
After some months I got a mail saying a new mechanism was available for beta testing in order to get the grinder to work with moist flowers and for faster grind (it was another issue I noticed with the first mechanism but related to moisture also). And it works like specified with practically no build up on the blades, fill it, a few turns and the load is gone in the bottom chamber! Even with pretty moist flowers. I'm not allowed to specify the exact differences about mechanism but the grind is definitively on the coarse side... for me it's nice too although I know a lot of peoples appreciate the most finer grinds. It's very easy to turn for both mechanisms with appropriatly cured flowers!

IMG-20210127-211155.jpg

Here you can see the new mechanism grind size And here the stock "old" mechanism grind size

The cleaning is easier than for others grinders, mechanism is the only part where there is build up, you just have to dismantle it (it's fast and easy) and throw eveyrithing in an iso jar, a quick brush, rinse and dry. since all parts are flat it's easier than teeth based grinders.

The nice things is they are planning to sell it, in the future, with different mechanism options in regard to the customer preference. As well they mentionned an incoming 3 parts versions. I really appreciate how deep they are going in testing mechanisms, patterns, configurations in order to try to satisfy anybody with the same unit, I believe it is their main goal but since peoples are so different they will probably sell custom mechanism (not for one people but for a grind's style). Please notice the actuals units for sale come with the fine grind mechanism.

Really, my doubts are gone, if you want a high end grinder with great support and you are ready to spend the right cost you can give a try to the QB-GON grinder. On top of that it's a great looking device!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
In some ways it's a lot less complicated... as a user you may find that more complicated cause the extra parts but in term of manufacturing it doesn't require big machining tools so I believe this grinder is probably a lot less harmfull for mother Nature.

Like I said cleaning is a breeze, for fast cleaning I just use a razor blade to scrape build up on blades and a quick wipe with a bit of iso. With my new mechanism I already "grinded" +10gr and there is a little build up on blades but still very functionnal so it will work for long before I'll clean it for its first time. The fine grind mechanism need more cleaning although I used it a lot with too moist flowers, we shall see this summer when weather will be very dry to keep my weed dry enough to work well with this mechanism, until this is happen I'm using the coarse mechanism.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Yikes! That is a hospital visit waiting to happen for me!! Using the razor blade doesn’t take off any metal?
If you don't feel safe with a razor blade just throw the blades in an iso jar. You can see marks (close with good eyes) although no metal chips, with the right angle it's not so much an issue imho... in my working days I'm using a lot more dangerous tools like chainsaws, with some care and understanding of the risks, you are good to go!

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
If you don't feel safe with a razor blade just throw the blades in an iso jar. You can see marks (close with good eyes) although no metal chips, with the right angle it's not so much an issue imho... in my working days I'm using a lot more dangerous tools like chainsaws, with some care and understanding of the risks, you are good to go!
Ha! If you can handle chainsaws, than a razor should be no problem. I will leave the sharp objects to you skilled folks!!

I am intrigued by this vape - just very cool looking. Thanks for sharing your experience thus far - please keep us updated on how it works over time.

oldfool

Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts on it

However, speaking of pretty things, seeing their stainless steel version, I don't know how I could possibly get anything else, although I would want it to be a 3 piece:
After a month... I love it. Agree about the SS 3 piece.
This one does have SS blades and sifting plates.
Gotta be the easiest to turn grinder.
So smooth it feels like it's not doing anything and then you open the top and it's empty. I'm amazed every time.
Surprised this thing doesn't get the love that the HR and BCG get.

Just after 4 minutes she uses it for the first time.

Shit Snacks

After a month... I love it. Agree about the SS 3 piece.
This one does have SS blades and sifting plates.
Gotta be the easiest to turn grinder.
So smooth it feels like it's not doing anything and then you open the top and it's empty. I'm amazed every time.
Surprised this thing doesn't get the love that the HR and BCG get.

Just after 4 minutes she uses it for the first time.

Nice! Damn well I certainly still have the temptation! Probably some day I will own

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
If you are willing to try again importing it, you can still get it from the makers
I was attracted by it, but apart the price, the pop ups telling people are buying their stuff every minute put me off, same thing knowing they push their stuff trough Forbes and the likes.

Don’t see much on this HOJ KLIP grinder, anyone using it?

Here is an old review of the SMALL version:

ADBB802F-7F2F-48DD-9A86-A31093378E25.jpeg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Don’t see much on this HOJ KLIP grinder, anyone using it?

Here is an old review of the SMALL version:

View attachment 9448

Looks...complicated.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I am considering a new grinder, I have never owned a premium model, always got by with cheap and cheerful, but now I am really getting into the Dynavap (half chamber with ground flower) I would like to see how much difference an appropriate grind would make. At the moment I am using a 2 piece SC no-plastic thingy, it's alright!

Is the upgrade worth it? Is it all just hype? :razz:

options are:

BCG: Unavailable at the moment, but I can wait - anyone know of any UK stockists other than Vapefiend?

Flower Mill: Seems an awful lot of money, sure it's justified, but damn - but hey, if it is worth it and will last forever then so be it - available!

Pucc: Seems like a very reasonably priced alternative no-thread grinder - available!

any other contenders?

Top Bottom