Herb Grinders

Okla68

@purepotstill
ah, I'm happy!
I'm sure you'll like it 😁
I think the Herb ripper should have as much visibility as the BCG ... it really is a gorgeous piece that does a great job!
I also took the 3-piece version, but not in xl ... I prefer to grind a little less but that it remains fresher ...
(I took a Zam grinder when they came out, but I only use it on weekends / travel I think!

@Okla68
I totally agree !
(but unfortunately for me, I really understand the interest in a stainless steel BCG ...

long life to the herb ripper! 😁
I was used to a 2 1/2 inch Santa Cruz Shredder...was took aback by the small size of the 2" HR. But, after using it, all concerns went out the window. 2" HR does a Better and Easier job than the 2 1/2" SCS, Hands down !

fangorn

to stay on the subject of the grinder ... 😉 ... I only use the herb ripper!
I intend the Zam grinder for my more or less long excursions but I have not had the opportunity to use it for the moment !!

(and to make a little parenthesis 😉 ...
I use them all regularly ... the dynavap at least once a day for its speed and low maintenance ... I use the Vaponic less even if some lattes are unbeatable in terms of taste ... I use the Vaponic less TM, even though I'm getting back to cooler temperatures lately ... the Bowle didn't leave me during my 2 month honeymoon phase ... I didn't touch it yesterday. .. I am thinking about reselling it because of the coating .. the TP80 is very high level flavors ... I just had it but it will surely be my favorite 😁 ...
I dream of a hybrid between Vaponic and elev8r with a practical and precise heating!)

fangorn

Thanks for the photos, the ripper looks very nice, but I don't think it is for me, because it is so shallow height... Avoided temptation!

yep @Shit Snacks !
I don't know if it's very nice to tempt you ... (even if I'm not sure you need that! 😂)
but he (Kevin I believe) added some storage parts in the store ... including a larger tank !! I will buy it "soon" I think!
Your first argument is therefore no longer valid 😋

Édit : nice 420 promo !!!!!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
TINY and LARGE together:
PXL-20210420-235511608.jpg

All creatures, great and small!

Okla68

And 2.5" Ripper should be even better :brow:
When I purchased my HR, didn't pay any attention to the dia. Just didnt want the 4 piece. I want my Kief(Trichomes)On my ground flower when its time to enjoy it. The HR Dosen't seem to dislodge the Tric heads like the SCS did. Using a loupe, you can still see them attached to the ground flower...YUMMY !!
Besides, Im basically yhe only one in the house that uses daily. My wife gets too fuckedup too easily. She did a SMALL dab the other day, I spent the following hour washing her face and neck with a cold washrag and flushing the meals(puke) she'd ate during the previous 24 hours, lol ! She worshipped the porcelain bowl for an hour. Think she puked her socks up. Had it not been soo funny, I would have joined her just watching....GAG !!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Besides, Im basically yhe only one in the house that uses daily. My wife gets too fuckedup too easily. She did a SMALL dab the other day, I spent the following hour washing her face and neck with a cold washrag and flushing the meals(puke) she'd ate during the previous 24 hours, lol ! She worshipped the porcelain bowl for an hour. Think she puked her socks up. Had it not been soo funny, I would have joined her just watching....GAG !!

Oh man, dabs can be too much for a lot of people (I think low temp helps along with size) and some body chemistry is just not right... Concentrates are tricky, without any tolerance it really has to be beyond small, but yeah some people should just never do them at all and she sounds like one of them!

purepotstill

Just received my 3p Herb Ripper XL, and decided to paste my post from the herb ripper thread, as it's more likely to be read by members here

1st, it's a beautiful object. It's heavy, but not as much as I thought. Very pleasant to hold in hand I must say. Finish is perfect, there's no play between the different parts.

After a ISO soak and water rinse, decided to try it with a big fat bud from my home grown Pineapple Glue Auto, which is a bit moist too (my jar is 61% RH). Didn't break the bud before, just put the whole on the plate to give it a true baptism of fire. Had to make two or three whole turns to finish it, but the result is a fluffy and evenly coarse grind. Was struck by the smell, my weed seems to stink much more than in my others cheaper grinders. Must be because of the coarse grind though.

The thing turns very smoothly despite the amount I put in, and I didn't have to put much strength in. There's enough grip for the hand not to slip on too. And the icing on the cake : both lid and plate were perfectly clean at the end of the operation.

Long story short : I'm pretty happy with my new purchase ! Should be even greater with a more sensible amount of weed to grind in.

Shadooz

Gold is certainly one of the safest material for that purpose but i want it solid not plated 🪙 :evil: 🪙

Shadooz,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I have #996 of 1845 first batch, still slicing up buds nicely.
I haven't looked into this at all mind you (obviously), but my LIFT s/n is: GR250-0004979... purchased in late summer '17. I guess I just I assumed I was close to the five-thousandth one made...? Is this correct?

Okla68

Just received my 3p Herb Ripper XL, and decided to paste my post from the herb ripper thread, as it's more likely to be read by members here

1st, it's a beautiful object. It's heavy, but not as much as I thought. Very pleasant to hold in hand I must say. Finish is perfect, there's no play between the different parts.

After a ISO soak and water rinse, decided to try it with a big fat bud from my home grown Pineapple Glue Auto, which is a bit moist too (my jar is 61% RH). Didn't break the bud before, just put the whole on the plate to give it a true baptism of fire. Had to make two or three whole turns to finish it, but the result is a fluffy and evenly coarse grind. Was struck by the smell, my weed seems to stink much more than in my others cheaper grinders. Must be because of the coarse grind though.

The thing turns very smoothly despite the amount I put in, and I didn't have to put much strength in. There's enough grip for the hand not to slip on too. And the icing on the cake : both lid and plate were perfectly clean at the end of the operation.

Long story short : I'm pretty happy with my new purchase ! Should be even greater with a more sensible amount of weed to grind in.
They are FANTASTIC grinders !!! Cant imagine one any better except for the XL(mine is the 2")!!! The way it grinds the material Far surpasses all the other Ive tried. It Dosent seem to Smash the Trichome heads like other grinders. You can still see Whole Trics in the ground material using a loupe....and the Non- Sticking is Amazing...almost like its Teflon covered !!!
I can pack it Completely Filled and Still turn it easily and the grind is Consistent. Dont know how Anyone could Improve on it, regardless of price(for $500, it would have to give me a BJ everytime I used it, refering to the $500 Gold plated one)!

SquirrelMaster

They are FANTASTIC grinders !!! Cant imagine one any better except for the XL(mine is the 2")!!! The way it grinds the material Far surpasses all the other Ive tried. It Dosent seem to Smash the Trichome heads like other grinders. You can still see Whole Trics in the ground material using a loupe....and the Non- Sticking is Amazing...almost like its Teflon covered !!!
I can pack it Completely Filled and Still turn it easily and the grind is Consistent. Dont know how Anyone could Improve on it, regardless of price(for $500, it would have to give me a BJ everytime I used it, refering to the $500 Gold plated one)!
It's a nice grinder but for stainless I prefer the United Machining grinder and for overall function the BCG.
The UMG still has the same issues as the HR when comparing to the BCG; they both jam up when packed full of material and they both require cleaning more often when comparing to the BCG. If I'm grinding in cooler temperatures and/or especially with less resinous flower then the SS grinders stay clean longer but then so will the BCG and it will operate for longer before needing a cleaning because of it's design. If I keep my SS grinders clean and don't pack them too much then they operate flawlessly and for longer periods of time between cleanings.

Stainless just seems to get dirty faster ime, because the surface isn't as slippery as anodized aluminum. When GFL releases their stainless steel version we'll finally have a true comparison of identical designs with different materials but until then the BCG has the advantage of a jam free design on top of the slippery (though not as durable) anodized aluminum.

I always wondered about any claim that such and such a grinder would preserve trichome heads better than other options until 420vapezone posted a video going through a bunch of grinders and the resulting grind consistencies. The chunkier the grind the better the preservation as there's less cutting going on but otherwise every cut is going to smash some heads.

SquirrelMaster

Why do you prefer the UMG over the HR?
I find it easier to grip the UMG with the taller top section and deeper knurling. The magnet isn't as strong on the UMG as well so the plates glide against each easier despite the lack of a plastic ring. The HR magnets pull the top pieces together really well but that means increased resistance in use.

Even though the fully magnetic design on the UMG has room for improvement (BCG operates easier) I still prefer it over the ¼ turn on the HR for two reasons: the HR will accidentally open if you turn counter clockwise at the start of your grind and the magnetic operation of the UMG is faster and easier to open and close.

Also, and this is purely personal, I prefer the look of the UMG over the HR. The pattern etched into the face catches the light as you move it around and my brain really likes the effect.

If you change grind consistency often then the HR is a better choice. I removed the aluminum insert in my UMG and I may put it back at some point but it's not as easy to swap as just having different plates. Also if you need a coarse grind then the HR is the only option.

Top Bottom