Herb Grinders

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Vicki said:
max said:
Great price Vito, except for the $5 shipping charge. That takes it to $24.90, and you can beat that by a little over $1 by using the FC code for 15% off at Vapeworld.

I'm really glad I scrolled up to see your post!! Thank you for that info! :)

I just placed an order at Vape World for a small, two piece Space Case grinder.

http://www.vapeworld.com/small-space-case-2pc-mag-grinder

The sub total was $22.90. I used the FC discount and saved $3.44. Tax was $1.17, and the total for the order was $20.63. Free shipping 2-7 days. I'm very happy now. :D

The small sc is my absolute favorite grinder, even more so than the medium. It almost grinds too fine if you're not careful; I stop turning as soon as I stop sensing any tactile resistance.

jeffp,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I agree.. I use the two piece space case the most.
I just got a brand new 2 piece medium, and am thinking it is too large.
(I already have the medium 4 piece)

Vitolo,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Vitolo said:

Right, I think for our purpose the small sc is THE grinder; I used my medium once and felt it was *almost* as good as the small.

jeffp,

Ville23

jeffp said:
Vitolo said:

Right, I think for our purpose the small sc is THE grinder; I used my medium once and felt it was *almost* as good as the small.
As always...great info guys!

I have a med 4pc SC and I've been trying to decide between the small or med titanium 2pc SC.
I'm surprised there is really that much of a difference being that they're only 1/2" difference.

Since I don't grind up too much at a time anyway...looks like I'm gonna go for the small.
Unless someone convinces me otherwise ;)

Ville23,

max

Out to lunch
How can you have a 100% CNC made grinder when it has a clear top? Clear tops and crank handles are gimmicks and should be avoided if you want reliability. 100% CNC means it's been cut from one solid piece of aluminum, including the teeth. You can't add any kind of clear material to the mix and expect long term durability.
im thinking of biting the bullet and getting a SC
A two pc. SC is a very good buy, especially with FC discounts available. A four pc. is way overpriced IMO, for performance. Can't be beat for fit and finish, but that's not why I buy a grinder.

max,

Vitolo

Vaporist
My Grinders and there usage:

4 Piece Space Case Scout Mini- once a month
4 Piece Space case Medium- once a week
2 piece Space Case Small- 10+ times a day
2 piece Space Case Medium- (recent acquisition)- once a day so far
MFLB "Nano" Grinder (OEM)- 3 times a day

All other grinders I own do not get used at all.

Vitolo,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
jeffp said:
Vicki said:
max said:
Great price Vito, except for the $5 shipping charge. That takes it to $24.90, and you can beat that by a little over $1 by using the FC code for 15% off at Vapeworld.

I'm really glad I scrolled up to see your post!! Thank you for that info! :)

I just placed an order at Vape World for a small, two piece Space Case grinder.

http://www.vapeworld.com/small-space-case-2pc-mag-grinder

The sub total was $22.90. I used the FC discount and saved $3.44. Tax was $1.17, and the total for the order was $20.63. Free shipping 2-7 days. I'm very happy now. :D

The small sc is my absolute favorite grinder, even more so than the medium. It almost grinds too fine if you're not careful; I stop turning as soon as I stop sensing any tactile resistance.

I agree. It gets herb ground perfectly for the MFLB, or for most any vaporizer, IMO. So far, I like it more than my MixNBall grinders.

Vicki,

2clicker

Observer
max said:
How can you have a 100% CNC made grinder when it has a clear top? Clear tops and crank handles are gimmicks and should be avoided if you want reliability. 100% CNC means it's been cut from one solid piece of aluminum, including the teeth. You can't add any kind of clear material to the mix and expect long term durability.
im thinking of biting the bullet and getting a SC
A two pc. SC is a very good buy, especially with FC discounts available. A four pc. is way overpriced IMO, for performance. Can't be beat for fit and finish, but that's not why I buy a grinder.

your right max. the top/lid is not machined from one piece aluminum, but the second level is and its the part with multiple bent teeth. i should have specified. regardless sharpstone teeth still bend. the teeth in the clear top are actually holding up better than the other teeth.

im looking at getting a SC because i know it wont bend. ive used them and love their performance, grind consistency, and esthetic. im not a fan of 2pc grinders. i use both (2pc and 4pc) regularly and much prefer a grinder with a holding chamber.

as for the price of a SC... yes it is considerably more expensive than most if not all other grinders, but im sure it will last a lifetime. so i spend $90 on a grinder that last me for the next 20-30 years...? better than buying a new $30-$40 grinder once a year for the next 20-30 years.

SC 4 pc here i come! (once i scrape the funds together :lol: )

2clicker,

max

Out to lunch
but the second level is and its the part with multiple bent teeth
I suppose you can get bent teeth even with 100% CNC manufacturing, especially if they're skinny and tall. I've never experienced it myself, even with small 4 pc. grinders under $10 or larger ones under $20. I've always suspected that it's due to loading herb with hefty stems and/or cramming it full of buds. I always load pieces that can fit between the teeth and have never had a problem. I've even seen reports of teeth issues with SC, although I can't be certain I've seen pics. Given enough abuse though, any grinder teeth can be bent. I don't like even small stems ground up in my good stuff though, since I use a log vape a lot, so I guess I kind of baby my grinders.

as for the price of a SC... yes it is considerably more expensive than most if not all other grinders, but im sure it will last a lifetime. so i spend $90 on a grinder that last me for the next 20-30 years...? better than buying a new $30-$40 grinder once a year for the next 20-30 years.
Although I have no issue with SC quality, cheaper grinders have been using equally good aluminum for a while now. The teeth on my $15 Sharp Crusher look as good as those on my titanium SC, even under a magnifying glass. So I can't agree with your 1 SC = many cheaper ones theory. Please report back on this in 20-30 years. ;)

max,

max

Out to lunch
Make no mistake. I love my 4 pc. SC. It's machined to perfection like no other grinder I've ever seen. It's the only one I like to fondle. :brow:

I'm just cheap, either by nature or from going through some tight times in the past. And I love finding a good grinder or vape that's a bargain. And I really think that the much increased use of CNC machines in the last few years has made cheap grinders=good ones in a lot of cases. And if you don't really need or want to screen kief, even the perfectly machined 2 pc. SC grinders are a bargain.

max,

friedricey

being human
I just received my sharp crusher today. Initial thoughts:

- metal shavings from manufacturer left over
- some minor dents around the rims
- feels way more inferior to space case
- the teeth are no where near as sharp as the space case
- clanky movement between the pieces
- kind of disappointed but I haven't given it a test run so I can't really make a fairly objective conclusion as of yet.

friedricey,

friedricey

being human
I've been using the space case for about a year, so it'll be logical that I compare the sharp crusher to it.

Test run:

- Grinds cured bud well. Not to a fine consistency but breaks up the buds very evenly. It does the job well and all the buds fall into the second chamber easily.
- It just looks and feels like it's going to flake or shave metal though.
- The edges of the teeth, holes and screw point are not cut cleanly or evenly for that matter.
- I quite like the lined surface over the polished surface.
- It's very light compared to the space and the feel is almost alloy or plastic light.
- The teflon ring looks like it won't last.

Thoughts

I don't mind using this grinder at all but it's just the fact that it's a inferior product to space case in terms of tactile standards and make standards that has let it down. If I haven't tried the space case then I would definitely be happy with this purchase but the reality is that I have tried it and will be going back to it. Its feel and motion of grinding buds effortlessly like running a hot knife through butter is what makes me want to come back to the SC.

friedricey,

MaquinaVapor

Maluco Beleza
I've just purchased a small 4-piece space case and I really like its manufacture quality. However, I'm not happy with the fineness of the ground product (I found it too coarse).

Previously I was using a pair of scissors and was chopping the herb much finer than the what I'm getting with my space case.

I have the felling that the finer the better for my vape (AromaZap)

Does anyone have a comment?

Cheers,
MaquinaV

MaquinaVapor,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
MaquinaVapor said:
I've just purchased a small 4-piece space case and I really like its manufacture quality. However, I'm not happy with the fineness of the ground product (I found it too coarse).

Previously I was using a pair of scissors and was chopping the herb much finer than the what I'm getting with my space case.

I have the felling that the finer the better for my vape (AromaZap)

Cheers,
MaquinaV

While grinding, turn the grinder upside down. Hold the top part tightly while doing this so you don't lose any of your herb. You will be able to grind your herb longer before it falls into the chamber.

Vicki,

friedricey

being human
MaquinaVapor said:

From what I've read, the purpose of a bud grinder is to separate the buds so as to leave them in a state that exposes them to easier consumption.

I think that using scissors is fine but a bit of the trichomes are smeared off by your fingers and scissors.

friedricey,

MaquinaVapor

Maluco Beleza
It is very disappointing to invest so much money in a grinder that doesn't grind your herb fine enough :(

I've tried some manipulation methods previously posted here, but I'm still not 100% satisfied.

Now I'm considering spending more money to get a Magic Flight OEM Grinder for a second grinding stage. But is it really worth/necessary?!

and btw the space case (4-piece) has great quality but I can't say it's the best grinder and IMO it's a crap one, considering it's functionality.

MaquinaVapor,

MaquinaVapor

Maluco Beleza
Vitolo said:
My Grinders and there usage:

4 Piece Space Case Scout Mini- once a month
4 Piece Space case Medium- once a week
2 piece Space Case Small- 10+ times a day
2 piece Space Case Medium- (recent acquisition)- once a day so far
MFLB "Nano" Grinder (OEM)- 3 times a day

All other grinders I own do not get used at all.

Vito, why do you use you 2-piece small more than your 24piece small? Is this because you can't get fine enough with the 4-piece?

Do you reckon that by using the 4-piece upside down (after 1 first pass to get the kief) will give me the same fineness as the 2-piece?

Cheers!

MaquinaVapor,
charliedontsurf said:
I don't know man, I'd toss the herbal to be honest. You're inhaling that stuff. In my mind it's not the fear that you're heating the aluminum to a certain temp, it's that the aluminum is physically migrating to your lungs regardless of whether it's being smoked or vaporized. Maybe if you crammed your VG innards just -full- of cotton or something like that so that it had no possible way to make it to your mouth... But just toss it.

If a little aluminum-y herb is the worst thing that happened to you today, then it's a good day.

The 2 piece grinder on puffitup.com is high quality, grinds fine enough for the MFLB, can handle 2+ g's at a time and is like 8 with shipping if you use the forum discount: http://www.puffitup.com/product-p/puffitup2partgrinder.htm I'd recommend it. I also use a great, cheesy, cheap Chinese electric grinder which has served me magnificently for over a year now - I use basically no other grinder, and no other grinder can get it as fine. It delivers a coffee-grinder like grind without having an oversized cup you have to scrap and scrap to reclaim.

Edit: ah, here we go. This site has it overpriced by 10-15 bucks, but hunt around. I LOVE this grinder. http://www.herbalsmokeshack.com/images/grinder-electric-herb.jpg
The motor still runs like a champ - the plastic cup however has started to feel somewhat brittle and I fear it may split in twain one of these days. But yeah, I love how it takes a menial task and turns it into a fun one, and how the thing never seizes up from all the gunk and resin like conventional grinders do. It'd also be great for people with weak or compromised hands, something I'll seriously have to deal with in time given my family history. If this grinder were to die, I would almost certainly get another identical one.

This. Still works like new, I still love it, and it still does 90% of my grinding.. It should be available on Ebay or EDIT type sites too. You can grind the tiniest piece up to about 1.5 grams, the 2G estimate I made before it probably too much.

charliedontsurf,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
MaquinaVapor said:
Now I'm considering spending more money to get a Magic Flight OEM Grinder for a second grinding stage. But is it really worth/necessary?!

I have a mini Headchef, which is basically identical to the MFLB OEM in size grind etc. It does do a great job for finer grinding for my MFLB and MZ. So, imo I would say if you need a finer grind it's worth the investment.

I used to own one of those mini electric grinders that lasted me about 4 years till I jammed in too big a nug and broke the blade off - totally my fault. I did really like it for ultra-laziness but found that it knocks off a higher volume of kief than I like and wasn't that easy to reclaim. These days I prefer to 'feel' it all a bit more so use a medium 4 part, a large 2 part and a mini 2 part and find that combo meets all my needs.

J.R.R.Tokin',

max

Out to lunch
I have a mini Headchef
Same here. I love this little guy Head Chef Mini . And I also like their Hard Anodized 2 piece. It's similar to the MixnBall for less $ but the tooth shape and grip are better on the MnB.

And I find a 2nd grind with a mini like the MF, Nano, or Head Chef Mini really is often worth it for the LB.

max,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
max said:
I have a mini Headchef
Same here. I love this little guy Head Chef Mini . And I also like their Hard Anodized 2 piece. It's similar to the MixnBall for less $ but the tooth shape and grip are better on the MnB.

And I find a 2nd grind with a mini like the MF, Nano, or Head Chef Mini really is often worth it for the LB.

The large 2 piece I use is the Head Chef hard anodized and I think it's a trooper. I find it a great medium grind and like you just wack it in the mini for a bit of a finer grind when needed.

Actually, when you consider that you can get the Headchef mini and large anod. for about 15 for the pair it's a pretty sound investment that pretty much covers all your grinding needs. Just chuck in a screened box for kief and your set!

J.R.R.Tokin',
Top Bottom