Discontinued Healthy Rips FIERCE

Tranquility

Sorry, I don't agree, this is not normal and it is dangerous:
http://learningrc.com/puffed-lipos/

Ask yourself why only you are having this issue?

OF
Since exploding batteries can cause substantial damages, I'm wondering what the writer of the email was thinking. Even if the risk was very slight, with the high amount of potential damages, you'd think they'd talk about swollen batteries with an abundance of caution.

That the tech didn't has me wonder. Why?

lordtinuviel

Since exploding batteries can cause substantial damages, I'm wondering what the writer of the email was thinking. Even if the risk was very slight, with the high amount of potential damages, you'd think they'd talk about swollen batteries with an abundance of caution.

That the tech didn't has me wonder. Why?

I agree, anyway I'm not using the swollen battery, since people from HR post here maybe that wl comment

lordtinuviel,
Reactions: LesPlenty

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Sorry, I don't agree, this is not normal and it is dangerous:
http://learningrc.com/puffed-lipos/

Ask yourself why only you are having this issue?

OF

What makes you think he's the only one having this issue? I've never taken the battery out of my Fierce and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Unless those batteries swell enough to cause something externally visible on the unit there could be others. I just took a look at my battery and it's fine.

lordtinuviel

What makes you think he's the only one having this issue? I've never taken the battery out of my Fierce and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Unless those batteries swell enough to cause something externally visible on the unit there could be others. I just took a look at my battery and it's fine.

In fact if you look at the swollen battery you won't notice anything until you put it inside the device and try to get it out... I wonder if I get the external charger will happen the same if the battery is left on it

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
In fact if you look at the swollen battery you won't notice anything until you put it inside the device and try to get it out... I wonder if I get the external charger will happen the same if the battery is left on it

Interesting way to try and find out if it's the battery or the unit when it's charging the battery. The external charger is $20 bucks on the HR site and I think it includes shipping.

His_Highness,
Reactions: LesPlenty

OF

Good point, I should have said 'the only one reporting this here'. Perhaps, on the lesser Forums.......

I took mine out as well to check, just as snug as when I got it. Slides in smoothly with a 'thunk' when it bottoms. I can't imagine it swelling at all and having that 'snug to the bottom' fit rather than 'tight spots'?

In any event, this class of batteries is particularly dangerous due to the very high energy they store. Long popular with the model helicopter guys and the R/C car guys who don't 'make the move' to Internal Combustion for that reason. I've got a friend who had a change in attitude after his toy caught fire mid flight and was a total write off after the crash. He used to swap out damaged cells, but not on the new one. Now he changes the pack out at the first sign of issues.

In the end it's the OPs call I think. But IMO the built in charger should not damage the battery if the owner leaves it plugged in overnight. Many of us have without this problem? For that matter external chargers shouldn't either. My friend uses a 'balance charger' that treats each cell in the pack as in individual for this basic reason.

My advice is still to send it in. And while it's probably safe to use (more so if you don't ever charge there), but why risk it? In some cases catching fire recharging would have been better than in use or storage?

Some guys are OK dating married women, but that too is a risk that can be avoided?

OF

lordtinuviel

Good point, I should have said 'the only one reporting this here'. Perhaps, on the lesser Forums.......

I took mine out as well to check, just as snug as when I got it. Slides in smoothly with a 'thunk' when it bottoms. I can't imagine it swelling at all and having that 'snug to the bottom' fit rather than 'tight spots'?

In any event, this class of batteries is particularly dangerous due to the very high energy they store. Long popular with the model helicopter guys and the R/C car guys who don't 'make the move' to Internal Combustion for that reason. I've got a friend who had a change in attitude after his toy caught fire mid flight and was a total write off after the crash. He used to swap out damaged cells, but not on the new one. Now he changes the pack out at the first sign of issues.

In the end it's the OPs call I think. But IMO the built in charger should not damage the battery if the owner leaves it plugged in overnight. Many of us have without this problem? For that matter external chargers shouldn't either. My friend uses a 'balance charger' that treats each cell in the pack as in individual for this basic reason.

My advice is still to send it in. And while it's probably safe to use (more so if you don't ever charge there), but why risk it? In some cases catching fire recharging would have been better than in use or storage?

Some guys are OK dating married women, but that too is a risk that can be avoided?

OF

I can send it yeah, but they already have it and said it's ok & I'm not using the swollen battery...also I don't want to expend around 10 - 12 days again without it...

OF

Try not to do it a lot so it won't happen to you

But you did it twice and it killed it both times?

Your vape, your call, your safety. There seems to be reason to think something is wrong with your unit (anyone else have their battery damaged yet?)....... Trust it if you want, but I doubt it's fixed itself. Nor do I think damaged batteries should be trusted. I'd run them flat and dispose of them through the proper channels if I didn't discharge them and send them to HR (who hopefully will replace the lot at this point).

As I see it either the machine (defective charge circuit?) or you (improper technique like deep discharges?) have killed the batteries. One might be defective out of the box, but two from different shipments? Both to you?

I can send it yeah, but they already have it and said it's ok & I'm not using the swollen battery...also I don't want to expend around 10 - 12 days again without it...

Again, your call, but IMO it's not without risk. I'd go to the backup vape and enjoy it rather than fuss over this one.

Good luck.

OF

lordtinuviel

But you did it twice and it killed it both times?

Your vape, your call, your safety. There seems to be reason to think something is wrong with your unit (anyone else have their battery damaged yet?)....... Trust it if you want, but I doubt it's fixed itself. Nor do I think damaged batteries should be trusted. I'd run them flat and dispose of them through the proper channels if I didn't discharge them and send them to HR (who hopefully will replace the lot at this point).

As I see it either the machine (defective charge circuit?) or you (improper technique like deep discharges?) have killed the batteries. One might be defective out of the box, but two from different shipments? Both to you?

Again, your call, but IMO it's not without risk. I'd go to the backup vape and enjoy it rather than fuss over this one.

Good luck.

OF

The first battery issue happened like 6 months after and I noticed because I was going to send the device for the firmware upgrade, so they did the upgrade, checked the Fierce and send it back with the new battery...this 2nd time happened last week and with this battery I have left more than one time charging overnight, how many times I don't know that's why make a mark on it. The other battery I haven't left charging overnight and it's perfectly fine...

Like you said, its my call & HR said the unit is fine so I trust them, if it gets screw later on, or explode contacta & I live, i will contact them lol...

Also if they want , they can comment here

HealthyRips.com

Healthy Rips Team
Company Rep
Hi All! We do not recommend using your FIERCE battery if it has "swollen". If you have any issue of this kind, please contact us for a battery replacement. If you are unsure if your unit itself is causing this issue, please contact us and we will gladly replace it as well if necessary. Health, safety, and performance are our top priorities and we will not compromise these values. We would not exist without you and we don't take that reality lightly. We are always listening and available to all of you at any time: healthyrips@gmail.com.

Sincerely,
Healthy Rips Team
https://www.healthyrips.com

LesPlenty

Company Rep
It seems like you're not troubled by that, nor was anyone AFAIK until some reviewer showed it in his (extreme?) review......suddenly attitudes changed
Quite a few people commented on this problem before @ohmygodimsohigh made his review.

So the Fierce cannot be left on charge overnight?
Not for me if I cannot leave it unattended...

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Can the battery be left on the separate charger overnight without trouble? This would be fine, I never charge the batteries of my Tera or Arizer Air in the vape so I could just adopt the same method with the Fierce.:tup:

LesPlenty,
Reactions: OF

OF

So the Fierce cannot be left on charge overnight?
Not for me if I cannot leave it unattended...

No, a lot of us have done so. Some intentionally (like me, I recommend doing so with Li based cells), some unintentionally. A properly designed charger should shut down on it's own. Most (all?) Li chargers run in 3 modes: Full current until the target voltage is reached, changing to voltage control to not exceed that value (decreasing current as needed to do so) followed by termination when that current drops to 1/10 of the initial current. For LiPO cells the voltage is lower than the more common Li-ion types but the routine is basically the same.

Whether you should do so or not is another question. I avoid it (after the first time) as best battery life comes from not fully recharging and avoiding deep discharges.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Can the battery be left on the separate charger overnight without trouble?

That too should be OK, although not recommended? The internal and external charge controllers should basically be the same? Doing so should not be fatal?

Regards to all.

OF

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
My unit is 6 months old and I always charge "in unit" overnight. Same with my friend's unit, about 4 months old, nightly recharge. Just checked my battery - removed it for the first time, and it slid out, looks undamaged or distorted.

I'm familiar with this battery phenomenon. My Galaxy S7 ballooned and actually broke my screen.

Going to monitor recharge behavior and write again...

OF

My unit is 6 months old and I always charge "in unit" overnight. Same with my friend's unit, about 4 months old, nightly recharge. Just checked my battery - removed it for the first time, and it slid out, looks undamaged or distorted.

I'm familiar with this battery phenomenon. My Galaxy S7 ballooned and actually broke my screen.

The 'target voltage' used can definitely effect lifespan. Generally, if you stop 10% shorter, you DOUBLE the useful life (measured in 'cycles'). But you have 10% less 'minutes per charge'. The urge, quite naturally, is for makers to push it as far as they can. Big numbers (in terms of run time) mean bigger sales? For normal Li-ion cells this is 'set' at the 300 cycles point almost universally (the military often specifies lower points (3.95 not 4.2 typically), so you have to recharge a bit more often, but field replacement of battery packs is eliminated).

Cell phone makers are really driven here, they want every minute they can get, hopefully vape makers not so much?

While longer life can be had by 'stopping early', a well designed charger circuit should protect the cell it's supporting against leaving it on too long. The line it fine, especially with LiPO, so being 'just a little high' on any individual unit (a flaw), could well be fatal.

For the reasons in the BU articles above, it should be safe (but perhaps not advised) to leave them on charge.

Regards to all.

OF

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
First thing I checked was heat during recharge using a fast and slow charger (in unit). Both seemed to make the battery just slightly warm. I also checked immediately after the charge to see if I could remove the battery, and it was tight, but it came out without much problem. Maybe just a hair tighter than when cold.

I also checked to see if the unit stops all charging when full, and it does. There is no charge after full. In fact, USB shows no activity at all after charge, port acts like nothing is connected (using an intelligent power strip w/ ports I can monitor individually)

Given they've tried battery replacement, it must be something with the charger (unit) or electrical source or environment (is it hot)

lordtinuviel

First thing I checked was heat during recharge using a fast and slow charger (in unit). Both seemed to make the battery just slightly warm. I also checked immediately after the charge to see if I could remove the battery, and it was tight, but it came out without much problem. Maybe just a hair tighter than when cold.

I also checked to see if the unit stops all charging when full, and it does. There is no charge after full. In fact, USB shows no activity at all after charge, port acts like nothing is connected (using an intelligent power strip w/ ports I can monitor individually)

Given they've tried battery replacement, it must be something with the charger (unit) or electrical source or environment (is it hot)

Honestly I have no clue, I just haven't charge again the battery that give me issues removing it from the unit... never thought that what I commented it was going to get so much replies....maybe I should charge again the defective battery and see if it gets more swollen

And yes, the unit turned off after it charged...at least the display shows that

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
The 'target voltage' used can definitely effect lifespan. Generally, if you stop 10% shorter, you DOUBLE the useful life (measured in 'cycles'). But you have 10% less 'minutes per charge'. The urge, quite naturally, is for makers to push it as far as they can. Big numbers (in terms of run time) mean bigger sales? For normal Li-ion cells this is 'set' at the 300 cycles point almost universally (the military often specifies lower points (3.95 not 4.2 typically), so you have to recharge a bit more often, but field replacement of battery packs is eliminated).

Cell phone makers are really driven here, they want every minute they can get, hopefully vape makers not so much?

While longer life can be had by 'stopping early', a well designed charger circuit should protect the cell it's supporting against leaving it on too long. The line it fine, especially with LiPO, so being 'just a little high' on any individual unit (a flaw), could well be fatal.

For the reasons in the BU articles above, it should be safe (but perhaps not advised) to leave them on charge.

Regards to all.

OF
Indeed, and you’ve stated this a few times now so it’s etched in my memory. Alas, I don’t usually monitor charging (my Furies) though I’d like to stop charging them just short of full when I can. The reality however is I just let them go until full, and occasionally overnight.

Personally, if I had an expanded battery issue I would send the unit and cells back to the manufacturer. I and most of us know HR would remediate the situation to one’s satisfaction. TGIF! :peace:

DirtyD

Maybe I have the new fierce but it has never dropped in temp whilst hitting it, and I leave it on the charger overnight all the time, ( ends up being 5- 6 hours) and never once had any kind of issue. Still hitting like a champ, been using the wpa and my 9 inch bubbler- mini rig. Also I like hitting with the wpa glass piece native, or without the mini bong. Hits different than the straight tubes imo. Any way, I'll bet HR will iron out any problems people have. Cheers and happy Friday to everyone! D.

Top Bottom