Discontinued Healthy Rips FIERCE

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Smaller packages and 'cheaper'
Haha, neither apply to the Mighty, I just like that there is one less thing to worry about if batteries are user-replaceable, it is one reason I took so long to get a Mighty.
The Fierce having replaceable batteries shows what most people want, HR listened to the main gripe with portables, short battery run times.:tup:

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
Just to clarify, in my test the Fierce vaped almost to the same level as when the material was placed into the metal bowl. Since the only way to produce vapor was when air was flowing, as opposed to constant heating thru the metal bowl, it was cooled between each hit. So it acted exactly like every convection vape I've used - it vaped better the more you inhale, so the vaping technique is different - little sips don't work. But it did vape the entire material evenly, with flavor, about as good as any convection vape I've used (including the Ghost or Square).

About to vape my 1,000th dosage can from my Fierce. :nod:

fareast

FYI, I recently ordered some accessories from both Healthy Rips and Planet of the Vapes for my Fury 2 and Fierce vapes.

In the case of the POTV order, I was surprised to receive One/Fury 2 dosing capsules that were different from the stainless steel capsules that I received from POTV back in May. Instead, I received four of the screen mesh-type capsules similar to what HR has offered in the past. I'm in contact with POTV about this, and they've indicated that they're going to rectify this, but it is odd that they sent the HR-type screens when I've never seen them listed on the site. When I placed my order, the picture shown was definitely the stainless steel capsules.

On the HR order, I bought both dosing capsules and the glass attachment screens for the Fierce. Must have been a bad biorhythm day for me, because HR sent concentrate pads instead of the screens designed for the glass attachments.

But hey, these things happen, and HR couldn't have been nicer about it.

In fact, when I was communicating with HR about the misfire on my order, I also mentioned that I wasn't thrilled with the Fierce dosing capsules and suggested they needed to have something along the lines of what POTV was offering for the One/Fury.

Much to my surprise and pleasure, the HR rep replied that they are working on making a better dosing capsule for the Fierce and that they hoped the old style would work for me until those are available.

FWIW, I originally posted about this in the POTV One thread, starting with this message:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/planet-of-the-vapes-one.36984/page-11#post-1399986

justcametomind

Its a couple of days I received my Fierce It still smells of robot fart/new car when vaping. I’m also having very dark ABV at the bottom of the glass adapter and glass stem, while ABV at the top is still brown. I think I should pack my load a little less hard. I read @Wolf46 posts who got a Fierce recently as well, planning to do many empty cycles to get rid of the robot fart smell. I thought it was overkill but now I think he was quite right!

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Its a couple of days I received my Fierce It still smells of robot fart/new car when vaping. I’m also having very dark ABV at the bottom of the glass adapter and glass stem, while ABV at the top is still brown. I think I should pack my load a little less hard. I read @Wolf46 posts who got a Fierce recently as well, planning to do many empty cycles to get rid of the robot fart smell. I thought it was overkill but now I think he was quite right!

Convection vapes like the Fierce work best when the material is filled so that the hot air can work it's way through/around the herb. I pack it by tapping the side to settle the herb as I fill and use a very light tamp down at the end just to level out the top.

If you or @Wolf46 are having taste/smell issues you could reference the link that follows and HR will take care of you. Maybe you missed the latest production run.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/healthy-rips-fierce.26457/page-50#post-1394868

MrFlocky

Hi people. I've had a Fierce since it first came out and have been very happy with it. It gets the job done extremely well, although it takes a while to extract all the goodness. And it leaves me happy and very high. I was just wondering about the firmware update that Healthy Rips offers.

My question is, is it worth sending it in to get the firmware update considering I'm on the other side of the world. Will it make me happier (basically that means will my sessions be shorter - my only minor complaint)? If the difference is too subtle to worry about then I will just keep it. But if it's a big difference then I guess I'll bite the bullet and send it in.

Thanks for any help you fine folk can give me.

OF

My question is, is it worth sending it in to get the firmware update considering I'm on the other side of the world. Will it make me happier (basically that means will my sessions be shorter - my only minor complaint)? If the difference is too subtle to worry about then I will just keep it.

I too am quite happy with mine, and have not sent it in for the same reason even though I'm a few hundred miles away and could do it 'in person' and get a tour in the bargain.

The 'flaw' the update addresses is confined to really serious hitters after instant 'huge clouds', something not even tested/discovered in Beta Testing. If you really honk on it you can 'overrun the heater' by pulling lots of cold air in, causing the temperature to drop for a bit. At least some can, I can't demonstrate it personally. The update cranks up the heater sooner (and harder?) when the drop is detected (making the effect less, but not eliminating it).

It seems like you're not troubled by that, nor was anyone AFAIK until some reviewer showed it in his (extreme?) review......suddenly attitudes changed as they often do and folks wanted that too. And, HR of course, delivered it in short order. Human nature on one side against first rate Customer Service on the other. Good stuff, that.

So, if you're not hitting it so hard that the temperature is dropping I suggest you keep it handy and enjoy it. There's no reliability or performance issue involved otherwise. It won't shorten (or even change) your sessions unless they are now being limited by such heavy hitting?

Best wishes,

OF

lordtinuviel

Fierce is a great device the only thing that I don't like is that the fierce cover has worn out and that if you are charging the battery using the device and you fall sleep or forget it, the battery will inflate... I really hate that, besides that is a great device, full extraction, great flavor

lordtinuviel,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Fierce is a great device the only thing that I don't like is that the fierce cover has worn out and that if you are charging the battery using the device and you fall sleep or forget it, the battery will inflate... I really hate that, besides that is a great device, full extraction, great flavor
What do you mean by “inflate”?

@MrFlocky - I think @OF said it all. But as someone who sent my Fierce in for the upgrade, I really didn’t notice any difference.

OF

What do you mean by “inflate”?/QUOTE]/QUOTE]

Swollen battery

This is fairly common with flat cells like FIERCE uses, especially when charged fast. Self heating can make them expand, in some cases ever warp, inside the plastic case. This can make them hard to get out until they cool.

Sometimes this can be aggravated by a sticker or some flaw/debris in the well, you might check for that. Otherwise, waiting until it cools should return it to normal. Some 'batteries' are enough different that you might have one that has this problem and one that doesn't.

This is one of the reasons why such 'batteries' are typically round, FWIW, even if that means they take up more space. The size/shape is more dependable.

OF

lordtinuviel

This is fairly common with flat cells like FIERCE uses, especially when charged fast. Self heating can make them expand, in some cases ever warp, inside the plastic case. This can make them hard to get out until they cool.

Sometimes this can be aggravated by a sticker or some flaw/debris in the well, you might check for that. Otherwise, waiting until it cools should return it to normal. Some 'batteries' are enough different that you might have one that has this problem and one that doesn't.

This is one of the reasons why such 'batteries' are typically round, FWIW, even if that means they take up more space. The size/shape is more dependable.

OF

Well no luck after it cools down, I mean I can still use it but it give me trouble to get it out...it shouldn't do that

OF

Well no luck after it cools down, I mean I can still use it but it give me trouble to get it out...it shouldn't do that

Well that's a different condition than what you originally said, right? Has nothing to do with charging?

I won't argue the 'shouldn't do that', I didn't design or build it. If you're not happy, HR will make it right for sure.......no matter.

Again, it's a snug fit in there, and rectangular things can bind up easier than round ones. If it bothers you too much, send it in for service? IMO as long as it fits well enough to make solid contact and get the cover on and you can shake the pack out when necessary it's not much of an issue, but it's your call for sure.

OF

OF,

lordtinuviel

Well that's a different condition than what you originally said, right? Has nothing to do with charging?

I won't argue the 'shouldn't do that', I didn't design or build it. If you're not happy, HR will make it right for sure.......no matter.

Again, it's a snug fit in there, and rectangular things can bind up easier than round ones. If it bothers you too much, send it in for service? IMO as long as it fits well enough to make solid contact and get the cover on and you can shake the pack out when necessary it's not much of an issue, but it's your call for sure.

OF

I can shake it until is a bit out and the I can pull it with pliers, but come on shouldn't do that...HR support has been great but this is my 3rd battery.... I left the device with the battery charged and plugged to power maybe 7-8 hours and had to use pliers to get it out....

OF

I can shake it until is a bit out and the I can pull it with pliers, but come on shouldn't do that...HR support has been great but this is my 3rd battery.... I left the device with the battery charged and plugged to power maybe 7-8 hours and had to use pliers to get it out....

Are you sure this is related to charging, not temperature? Or random chance.

For sure that's 'not right'. You should NEVER grab a snug plastic pack with pliers. Any 'marks' made mean nearby there's some extra material sticking up. You should not need to do that, pliers can only make it worse next time.

If you can't find some sticker or similar (like a flashing on their the battery case or well) you should consider sending it all in. That's what Customer Service is for and HR is tops at it. You evidently don't have two 'batteries', right?

OF

OF,
Reactions: Summer

lordtinuviel

Are you sure this is related to charging, not temperature? Or random chance.

For sure that's 'not right'. You should NEVER grab a snug plastic pack with pliers. Any 'marks' made mean nearby there's some extra material sticking up. You should not need to do that, pliers can only make it worse next time.

If you can't find some sticker or similar (like a flashing on their the battery case or well) you should consider sending it all in. That's what Customer Service is for and HR is tops at it. You evidently don't have two 'batteries', right?

OF

Yes I do...my 1st swollen battery was replaced by HR, then few months after had a different issue while troubleshooting I got an Xtra battery and now 1 of those batteries got swollen because it stayed inside the device while charging

lordtinuviel,

His_Highness

Yes I do...my 1st swollen battery was replaced by HR, then few months after had a different issue while troubleshooting I got an Xtra battery and now 1 of those batteries got swollen because it stayed inside the device while charging

Just to be clear....are you saying you've had two batteries that originally weren't swollen, became swollen during charging and stayed swollen after cooling down? So swollen that fitting the device is an issue?

lordtinuviel

Just to be clear....are you saying you've had two batteries that originally weren't swollen, became swollen during charging and stayed swollen after cooling down? So swollen that fitting the device is an issue?

I got two new batteries, about a week ago while charging one at I fell sleep and didn't wake up until the morning, in the morning I realized that I left it charging, disconnected the device and when I try to remove the battery, I couldn't so I leave it there a couple of hours later I was able by shaking the device and using a pliers I got it out. Put it back later on and use it when I was going to remove it, had to shake it and use pliers since the battery stayed swollen, since that day I've been using the battery that is not swollen. So I have 2 batteries, 1 in used and the swollen one (those 2 batteries were provided by HR after the original battery got swollen the first time)

OF

So I have 2 batteries, 1 in used and the swollen one (those 2 batteries were provided by HR after the original battery got swollen the first time)

So this unit has damaged 2 such batteries? Send it all back. The battery should not be changing shape when properly charged. I suspect the charge circuit isn't terminating the charge properly and is trying to charge 'out of spec'. This is potentially dangerous, fires are known to start this way. Better safe than sorry.

Still your call, but......

OF

His_Highness

I got two new batteries, about a week ago while charging one at I fell sleep and didn't wake up until the morning, in the morning I realized that I left it charging, disconnected the device and when I try to remove the battery, I couldn't so I leave it there a couple of hours later I was able by shaking the device and using a pliers I got it out. Put it back later on and use it when I was going to remove it, had to shake it and use pliers since the battery stayed swollen, since that day I've been using the battery that is not swollen. So I have 2 batteries, 1 in used and the swollen one (those 2 batteries were provided by HR after the original battery got swollen the first time)

Thanks for the clarity....Never thought about it before but I've never left the Fierce charging overnight or charging where I couldn't see it. Not for any specific reason just never have. Aside from swelling were there any other battery/charging related symptoms?

I'm with OF on this.....send it all back in. I couldn't keep working a vape that I can't take my eyes off of.

lordtinuviel

So this unit has damaged 2 such batteries? Send it all back. The battery should not be changing shape when properly charged. I suspect the charge circuit isn't terminating the charge properly and is trying to charge 'out of spec'. This is potentially dangerous, fires are known to start this way. Better safe than sorry.

Still your call, but......

OF

They had the device and there's nothing wrong with the unit. Per HealthyRips email exchange:

"However, by nature LiPo batteries do expand as the battery is charging, and they shrink while the battery is depleting. For this reason, we like to be cautious and recommend that you try your best NOT to leave your FIERCE battery plugged in for longer than the recommended time or use your battery life to completely dead. In other words, we caution against leaving it plugged in overnight or all day long."

OF

They had the device and there's nothing wrong with the unit. Per HealthyRips email exchange:

"However, by nature LiPo batteries do expand as the battery is charging, and they shrink while the battery is depleting. For this reason, we like to be cautious and recommend that you try your best NOT to leave your FIERCE battery plugged in for longer than the recommended time or use your battery life to completely dead. In other words, we caution against leaving it plugged in overnight or all day long."

Sorry, I don't agree, this is not normal and it is dangerous:
http://learningrc.com/puffed-lipos/

Ask yourself why only you are having this issue?

OF

Top Bottom