• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

MoltenTiger

Can confirm the Mean Well LSR-150-12 powers the io.

It's probably better to get a more mainstream PSU, laptop charger style. The LSR series are project/industrial supplies and have exposed mains power, so something to consider. There are some really neat 3D printed models out there with embedded plugs, plus covers or enclosures etc., if you want to go all out to make it safe. I just used a bit of tape with a cut and ferruled power lead. It's not a small unit, basically a desktop limiter, but there's a couple of meters of cable between it and the hopper so a little versatile.
It does make a slight whine when plugged into the blue transformer box from the adapter kit, fairly quiet though so not too annoying. Obviously the mains coil is pumping some amps, it'd be interesting to see what the adapter is drawing, but I don't have a meter. The blue box warms up a tiny bit. I was a bit unsure rigging it up, but happy days as it seems to work wonderfully.

It's kind of comical using the hopper like this, it rips super hard. Such utter awesomeness.

_20200811_193141.JPG

So I take it there won't be anymore power kits for the hopper made after everyone who pre-ordered gets theirs?

Kinda beating myself up for not pre-ordering. 😬
This design is good enough for production, I think there is a good chance that this will be scaled up and available at some point.

Hoping all is well with @maxvapor710 and the crew - this is much appreciated work, and I hope others get to enjoy your genius gadgetry soon too

Last edited:
@MoltenTiger I hope they do make more cause I want to buy two haha. This is what's missing from the hopper. I begged the hopper lab dudes to make it even when I met them in person. I asked them to at least consider a desktop vape with the heater from the hopper.
hope all is well with the @maxvapor710 crew as well.
stay safe and toasted y'all.

lazylathe

Almost there...
2 weeks now since they contacted me about paying for shipping...
I have sent a few very friendly e mails requesting an update and hoping everyone is doing well in these difficult times.
Zero replies...

@invertedisdead
Even if it is a secondary business, they still need to provide customer support and provide customers with timely updates.
I am sure that @maxvapor710 is not the only person working there, not great for his reputation here with customers who have questions or issues with their products.

It literally takes a minute to post an update that would let everyone know what is going on.

Really do hope they are all well!!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead
Even if it is a secondary business, they still need to provide customer support and provide customers with timely updates.
I am sure that @maxvapor710 is not the only person working there, not great for his reputation here with customers who have questions or issues with their products.

You mention emailing, have you tried calling?

FWIW I think it is more of a one-man operation here.

If you check @maxvapor710 last day of posting he said he’s been too swamped to check the forums, and that was on July 14. So he did give a heads up to folks on here about being busy, hopefully you see some updates soon.

fogbank

I just received an order confirmation for my replacement (v2) threaded adapters. I received an update from them on 8/2 stating that they would ship the next day. When I didn't receive anything I emailed them on 8/10 for a status update, and I received the confirmation today. I'm glad that they are responding and hope they are doing OK with everything that is going on.

lazylathe

Almost there...
You mention emailing, have you tried calling?

FWIW I think it is more of a one-man operation here.

If you check @maxvapor710 last day of posting he said he’s been too swamped to check the forums, and that was on July 14. So he did give a heads up to folks on here about being busy, hopefully you see some updates soon.

He also mentioned that his "Team" was working remotely doing the final assembly.
This leads me to believe there are more bodies in his operation.
Just something I noticed that he posted a while ago on the forum.

Calling for me is an impossibility during the week. I work 7:30 to 6pm or later mon to fri with a 30 minute lunch to recoup...LOL!

I did however receive 3 emails from them today!!
One was a confirmation of order, then a shipment and lastly the invoice to finish paying for shipping.
Hopefully the package starts moving through the shipping channels nicely!

protocarbon

After sending an inquiry, I received this email four days ago:

Your unit should be shipping today or tomorrow, we had a slight last minute issue with the battery sleds that had to be corrected.

It's great to hear that someone is still reachable there and that they're working on getting this out. Really wish they posted an update here, but perhaps maxvapor is the only one at the company that knows to update this thread?

The package still hasn't shipped, but it's only been one business day past when they said it would. Hopefully it goes out Monday!

fogbank

After sending an inquiry, I received this email four days ago:
Your unit should be shipping today or tomorrow, we had a slight last minute issue with the battery sleds that had to be corrected.

I wonder what the last minute issue with the battery sleds is/was, and I wonder if it was corrected before or after I received mine....?

I received my v2 (threaded) adapters with new battery inserts. I can report that both adapters screw onto all of my back ends without any issues. Screwing the bodies into the new adapters was a little rougher than expected, but it worked for all of my OG Hopper bodies. Oddly enough I couldn't screw my Ti IO body onto the one adapter that I tested it with. It stopped screwing in about 90% of the way, and I didn't want to force it any further. Afterwards the IO body screwed into the IO back end a little rougher than usual (was always super smooth). It made me feel like I damaged the threads on the IO body slightly when I tried to screw it into the adapter. Screwing and unscrewing the IO body from the back end a few times seems to have restored the smooth threading, but I was somewhat worried that I had messed up my IO body threads.

I will NOT be trying the AC adapter on my IO again any time soon.

Also I have one OG SS Hopper that will not power up correctly with the AC adapter. It turns on, shows red LEDs for a few seconds, and then shuts off. It has done this with both versions of the adapter ring and battery insert. It sounds similar to other user reports of trying the adapter with the IO. I am not too concerned about my one OG Hopper that doesn't power up.

Overall I don't think I will be using the AC adapter on more than one Hopper. It's not super easy to swap between Hoppers (although the new slotted adapter makes it MUCH easier). I will probably just pick an OG Hopper to be a dedicated AC adapter unit, while still using batteries on the others.

MoltenTiger

I wonder what the last minute issue with the battery sleds is/was, and I wonder if it was corrected before or after I received mine....?

I received my v2 (threaded) adapters with new battery inserts. I can report that both adapters screw onto all of my back ends without any issues. Screwing the bodies into the new adapters was a little rougher than expected, but it worked for all of my OG Hopper bodies. Oddly enough I couldn't screw my Ti IO body onto the one adapter that I tested it with. It stopped screwing in about 90% of the way, and I didn't want to force it any further. Afterwards the IO body screwed into the IO back end a little rougher than usual (was always super smooth). It made me feel like I damaged the threads on the IO body slightly when I tried to screw it into the adapter. Screwing and unscrewing the IO body from the back end a few times seems to have restored the smooth threading, but I was somewhat worried that I had messed up my IO body threads.

I will NOT be trying the AC adapter on my IO again any time soon.

Also I have one OG SS Hopper that will not power up correctly with the AC adapter. It turns on, shows red LEDs for a few seconds, and then shuts off. It has done this with both versions of the adapter ring and battery insert. It sounds similar to other user reports of trying the adapter with the IO. I am not too concerned about my one OG Hopper that doesn't power up.

Overall I don't think I will be using the AC adapter on more than one Hopper. It's not super easy to swap between Hoppers (although the new slotted adapter makes it MUCH easier). I will probably just pick an OG Hopper to be a dedicated AC adapter unit, while still using batteries on the others.
It probably has to do with the battery sled not having the appropriate contact on the positive end. They might have assembled a bunch and now need to replace that component, which is a fiddly process.
I actually like having to bridge the connection as I can simply store batteries in the sled with no worries and activate them when I want to use the sled. The sled does discharge batteries slowly if left engaged, so it's nice being able to switch it off.

Pity about the io threading. It's good to have endless power but it's also good to be wireless.
I've knocked a couple of things over with the cables so far :p

The io with a good quality GHB is a nice compact set up

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi Folks, I got mine yesterday... one word: AMAZING!!

It threads very well despite the few first turns weren't smooth. I have to fiddle with tighting and power level in order to get a stable led light everytime I reconnect it for the first time of the session although I may be not used enough since I only made 3 sessions of 1 bowl each.

On the sheet of paper it's written to set your temperature level on the GH before to plug the vaporizer in the power converter, does this mean it's not recommanded to change T° settings with the vaporizer plugged in the power converter? if yes this is a cons, I would prefer to be able to change the temp settings without to have to handle cords and I suppose the tiny connector will tear pretty fast. Just my thoughts.

This setup will be my main desktop vape... at least for a few days but I guess this is will last longer for sure. The GH hits so hard, never half medicated with that guy!

MoltenTiger

Great to hear @PPN

Are you powering up the io or legacy?

My cheapy eBay power supply came in, and it sort of powers the io (supply is rated at 12V10A, but sometimes the io won't engage. The MW PS I have is flawless with the io, obviously delivering the necessary power on demand without a complaint). Regardless, sometimes it takes a couple of clicks to get the io to go (hmm..), but it always does end up working soon after and mostly there's no issue.
The eBay supply seems to actually fail and any number of subsequent clicks fails to power it on, I just get lights for a second then it drops out. But sometimes it powers on and it works as per normal.
Definitely happy I got the extra MW supplies.

I don't know if I noticed that specific instruction regarding temp adjustment, but it makes sense I suppose, as rotating the temp dial might wear down the connecting PCB pad. I have been adjusting my temp with the io always wired up, and just opened it to look at the pad connection. It is a bit scraped, but I don't think this is really worth worrying about, but it's probably best practice not to adjust temp with the assembly together... but I will continue to and face that bridge should it ever crop up.

Time to get fully medicated, in less than one chamber :science:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hi Folks, I got mine yesterday... one word: AMAZING!!

It threads very well despite the few first turns weren't smooth. I have to fiddle with tighting and power level in order to get a stable led light everytime I reconnect it for the first time of the session although I may be not used enough since I only made 3 sessions of 1 bowl each.

On the sheet of paper it's written to set your temperature level on the GH before to plug the vaporizer in the power converter, does this mean it's not recommanded to change T° settings with the vaporizer plugged in the power converter? if yes this is a cons, I would prefer to be able to change the temp settings without to have to handle cords and I suppose the tiny connector will tear pretty fast. Just my thoughts.

This setup will be my main desktop vape... at least for a few days but I guess this is will last longer for sure. The GH hits so hard, never half medicated with that guy!

Oh I have absolutely been adjusting the temperature while it is plugged in, not sure if that has been affecting anything negatively?? Still seems to be working fine and accurately for the most part, except for a few iffy instances which I chalk more up to needing to clean my PFE...

fogbank

There may be a different impact on the negative end of the battery insert when using the IO vs. the OG. Adjusting the temp while it is assembled will rotate the negative contact of the back end slightly. On the OG the negative contact is flat and smooth. On the IO it has three small prongs along the outer rim. The IO might cause more damage to the negative end of the battery insert...?

lazylathe

Almost there...
The eagle has landed!! I have an OG SS Hopper.
All with ZERO communication since their request for payment.
All further emails were notifications and a Paypal bill for shipping.
Not sure what is going on with @maxvapor710 , hope all is good!!

Easy to assemble!
Bending the clip left me with the same gap I had before as I bent it up a bit to prevent scratching the body.
Super easy to assemble. Wish the cable was about 2 inches longer but I use a tall WT.

One member referred to it as a "Dope Gun" and yes it very mush is one!
3 small bowls, 4.5 on the dial has me blasted!
Perfect ABV every time with not much left in a second hit!

Excellent bit of kit that I am very happy to own!

EDIT:
1/2 full bowls, temp 4.5 and full one hit extraction!
Back end is 100% cool and not even the slightest bit warm after a few bowls.
I have always said a constant supply of power is far more satisfying that batteries or butane will ever be.
I will always be tethered to the wall for the majority of my vape use except for the MiniVap as a portable.
Consistency is key!

Last edited:

fogbank

Just to add some information to this thread...

I have one SS Hopper that will not power up correctly with the AC adapter. The lights turn red for a moment and then shut off completely. Interestingly enough it does work with the 18650 battery sled, just not the AC adapter. I tried two different AC adapters and neither worked.

All of my other OG Hoppers work fine with the AC adapter.

The bodies of my IO Hoppers do not thread onto the slotted adapter smoothly. One encounters too much resistance about 75% of the way through. The other body does thread on the whole way (somewhat roughly), but the AC adapter doesn't power the IO correctly. The lights come on briefly, then they shut off. This is expected because the power supply / brick does not supply the correct amount of current.

I believe that at one point the maker said they would be recommending a different power supply for the IO Hopper, but I'm not sure that will happen now. :(

akit4so

Tobacco Vapourist
Hi folks.
international user here.
I got AC/18650 adapter today.

I haven’t tried yet from wall powered. I tried with 18650 sled(SonyVTC5A battery)
It looks works fine but, hopper body LED and battery sled LED flick and backend gets hot. (Hot backend)

I have 2 OG hoppers. (v4 internal and v5 internal) both happened hot backend issue.

Does anyone have same issue?

Btw, they sent me “Ledmo LED-908”model adapter, and battery sled said
“XT30 Power Pack
DAB Electronics
January 2020”

Converter said
“DAB electronics
December 2019”

Top Bottom