Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@Vaporific its really impossible to know until there is an actual device released.

If the threads are the same, the expansion ring should fit. If the battery is the same dimensions, the dummy battery should work fine.

The power supply question is an unknown until there is actual testing done on the power draw of the heater.

thc_technologist

cannabis tech enthusiast
Just put a reservation down, looking forward to trying this out. Thanks for taking the initiative @maxvapor710 !

I haven't used one of my grasshoppers in almost a year (since I got it back from warranty and realized all of my older batteries were essentially shot).

My second hopper needs to be warrantied, but I'm waiting to send it in until things are actually running smoothly at Hopper Labs (if that ever happens).

- Edit -

@maxvapor710 , do you think this could be used as a heavy user's primary desktop unit? I was thinking that with the performance front end and some glass, the hopper could be used similar to how the G43 works. I'm looking for something to replace the Volcano Hybrid while S&B sorts out its issues, wondering if this could be it.

Last edited:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
The circuit boards for the Power Converter came back today, going to get a few assembled tonight and put them on the load tester.

Currently just waiting on the injection mold for the Power Converter enclosure and dummy batteries to be completed, so we should be right on schedule for a late January release.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Mostly production-ready version of the expansion ring came in today, I will probably have them take about half of a thread off as there is a slight gap on some hopper bodies but not all.

Should be able to get a decent video together in a few days showing the operation while plugged in.

@MoltenTiger I know you said you were interested in just a ring, I can send you one of these samples if you want just send me a PM.

fogbank

@maxvapor710 - the pictures of the ring that you have posted all show a back end without the clip. How will it be possible to screw the back end into the ring with the clip in place if there is a wire coming out of the ring? Would you just need to lift the clip over the wire while turning the back end?

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@fogbank you would screw the ring onto the backend, thread the wire through the opening which is offset from the clip and then screw that onto the body.

Unfortunately I did not have a working backend with a clip on hand for any of these photos, but I have one on the way in a few days and then I will get a video put together.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@fogbank we are manufacturing more than necessary so they should be available for a little while, but I don't want to be stuck with thousands of accessories I can't do anything with so my excess inventory is very conservative.

Once they are gone, I would have to consider another pre-order to make it feasible to do another run if the demand was still there.

Davideus

@maxvapor710 Are you sure that the electronics of your custom 12v power converter can't be fitted inside of the dummy battery? That would be ideal solution along with the Type-C PD. It would be great if you consider any of this two improvements for future production run.
Also not so important, but i'd preferred clean ring without engravings, as in your last photo.

MoltenTiger

@MoltenTiger I know you said you were interested in just a ring, I can send you one of these samples if you want just send me a PM.
I'm interested in the whole assembly. I tried placing a pre-order a couple days back when the threading was confirmed for the io, had some issues and two payments were processed. Sent an email and waiting to hear back :)

Appreciate the offering, but the total package looks too good to pass up. Looking forward to trying it out

Are you able to offer an AU wall adapter, or what output is sufficient? 12V 3A? What size barrel jack?

Last edited:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@Davideus it would be difficult to fit the current design inside the hopper body, the inductors required for the power conversion would just barely fit, but perhaps if we rework the design in a future revision it is possible with some planning.

Most of the design decisions in the current release were made to allow for a low retail price and quick time to market.

@MoltenTiger we have had a lot of issues with fraudulent orders in the past, so our shopping cart complains about the slightest address mismatch, especially for non-domestic orders. If you send us a ticket, someone should be back with you later today that can resolve the payment issues.

We are supplying a 120/240V to 12V 10A wall adapter and we currently have US, EU and UK plugs available so you should be able to get by with a simple adapter.

The barrel jack is 2.10mm ID, 5.50mm OD. Center pin positive.

MoltenTiger

@Davideus it would be difficult to fit the current design inside the hopper body, the inductors required for the power conversion would just barely fit, but perhaps if we rework the design in a future revision it is possible with some planning.

Most of the design decisions in the current release were made to allow for a low retail price and quick time to market.

@MoltenTiger we have had a lot of issues with fraudulent orders in the past, so our shopping cart complains about the slightest address mismatch, especially for non-domestic orders. If you send us a ticket, someone should be back with you later today that can resolve the payment issues.

We are supplying a 120/240V to 12V 10A wall adapter and we currently have US, EU and UK plugs available so you should be able to get by with a simple adapter.

The barrel jack is 2.10mm ID, 5.50mm OD. Center pin positive.
Thanks, I have received an automated email giving a ticket number.

I will have to hunt down a power supply, I'd rather avoid any extra parts. Thanks for the specs

What model have you opted for?
An option with an IEC connector would be nice

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,

Baron23

@maxvapor710 - I did order one, but mostly I just wanted to compliment you on what I think is your very professional engineering, project management, and communication skills.

So different from some of our smaller vendors who just claim "but I'm an artiste'" LOL.

I view vapes as basically appliances and have long admired your skills in designing and bringing these products to market.

I'm hopeful that the GH power supply will work wonderfully. I do love my one properly working GH but it would be nice to be able to get away from those 3-4 load max batteries.

Cheers

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Consider me intrigued!

Haven't used my grasshopper in a long time not really because the batteries but I wonder if having something like this might get me using it more again... Then it could be a nice desktop water piece perhaps... Very fair pricing...

Top Bottom