Glass 101

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Yeah I take my coffee pretty seriously, so I keep distilled water on hand to mix with Third Wave Water pouches (when I was living on the east coast the water was clean enough and tasty enough that I just used it from the tap, I'm back in the midwest due to covid and it was killing my coffee so I had to break down and get something with the right mineral balance) so I could potentially fill with it if there are benefits, but I'm not really rocking any heady glass either so maybe I'll just try the CE. Thanks gents!

One final question--so far I've been lucky putting my cheap local headshop bubbler and DH gate through my dishwasher (I typically do at least a hot water rinse daily so they're never disgusting). This seems like a bad idea for nicer pieces and eventually living with others who may not like the idea of it (again, I'm putting in very clean pieces--its just to get things I can't reach!), so I should probably switch to simple green or iso + rock salt. Do any of you know of good plugs for the various holes in a bong/rig? I think just a set of mixed sized corks from amazon would probably do fine?

SILICONE PLUGS:
I bought one bag, then needed a 2nd bag.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Thanks all! The silicone plug set should do the trick. I'll look into some of the older posts on iso, pbw, and simple green buckets--I'm really attracted to anything that lets me just soak and do no work of my own :lol:

Edit: something I'm kind of curious about--I notice that a lot of the CE I see on amazon has citric acid in it, which could in theory be the responsible agent for keeping glass clean when I briefly read the wikipedia article on it (not a chemist myself). Just curious if this had occurred to anyone else, or if anyone had perhaps tried an organic CE (I found one with just cane sugar, distilled water, and the CE, no citric acid) to compare?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I started using distilled water recently, not for cleaning because that doesn't seem practical to me, but as the water I fill with... seems nice, though any actual effects could just be psychological lol :shrug:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I started using distilled water recently, not for cleaning because that doesn't seem practical to me, but as the water I fill with... seems nice, though any actual effects could just be psychological lol :shrug:

Not psychological, distilled water will not contain any contaminates that public drinking water may have. Your defenseless lungs and body will thank you, for spending a few bucks extra. The tap water in my area is touted as some of the cleanest in the US, but I still own and use a TDS water meter, to check it, and I also use a dual stage water filter as well. But my water rigs, only see DISTILLED WATER....

Shit Snacks

Not psychological, distilled water will not contain any contaminates that public drinking water may have. Your defenseless lungs and body will thank you, for spending a few bucks extra. The tap water in my area is touted as some of the cleanest in the US, but I still own and use a TDS water meter, to check it, and I also use a dual stage water filter as well. But my water rigs, only see DISTILLED WATER....

Oh yeah totally, I was at least using filtered water from the fridge before, the tap water here is super hard and full of so many mysterious minerals... But I don't see how I cannot rinse with it to clean everything lol

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
you know of good plugs for the various holes
I use these, there are 4 in a pack,
I use rainwater in my bongs with CE and citric acid(powdered form) in my dab rigs and just the citric acid in my flower vape bongs as they can sit for a day or 2 before use and citric acid does not seem to grow particles like the cranberry can.
I also use the dishwasher on my glass that is able to be taken apart for that purpose, all others get a hot water rinse via a pet shower hose followed by a swirl of iso then another hot rinse ready to go again.
I have only had to use SimpleGreen soaks a couple of times, usually after camping trips where the glass only gets changed not hot cleaned!

Green Kiwi

I have excellent results, with any bong/bubbler/watertool , with just cleaning with PBW(lot less taxing on the planet..:2c:than ISO)daily.
I just fill the piece with water, and one teaspoon of PBW at nighttime, and 'cu tmrw morning "Hunny", always clean as my...... and just give a rinse and ready to use for another day. I am ocd about cleaning's with my watertools.
Eventhough, I live in the last clean place on the planet, my personal tapwater is full of chlorine,fluoride's and pesticides, and metals, Soo , I invested in a inline(Does the whole house also toilet and shower)filtration system , and as long as I replace my filters (5 in total )every 6 months , my water is very clean and empty of what so ever minerals or chemicals.
It's an expensive (500$ every change),but very worthy solution.
And it's still cheaper and better for the planet than buying glass mineral water in bottles all the time.:2c:.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Just be careful leaving the PBW soaking in your glass for too long, I have heard it can etch the glass on lesser quality units.

PBW is my last resort for cleaning. I use iso to swill in any bong that does not come clean with just hot water (if it does not pass the empty bong pull test of 0 smell) I have a small jar of iso that I reuse over and over again for this smell kill, just tip in, swirl and tip back into its jar, then hot water rinse the bong again and ready to go.

I use good clean Tassie rainwater so no scale build-up to use the PBW on, it has only been used once(in my kettle, town water). I will say my PBW seemed very expensive as it is a once-use-only product compared to how I use my iso.

Green420

Does anyone know if the superglued glass piece I have will come apart if I fill it with rubbing alcohol to clean it? Does anyone know of a better way to clean it that wouldn't compromise the superglue? I would just use the other pieces I ordered but they haven't arrived yet and I still want to vape out of glass.

Green420,
Reactions: LesPlenty

badbee

Does anyone know if the superglued glass piece I have will come apart if I fill it with rubbing alcohol to clean it? Does anyone know of a better way to clean it that wouldn't compromise the superglue? I would just use the other pieces I ordered but they haven't arrived yet and I still want to vape out of glass.
Alcohol is the standard solvent used to remove super glue, so yes that would be a problem. You'll have to clean without using solvents. PBW (powdered brewers wash) or one of the "green" cleaners is probably your best bet.

Green420

How do I fully clean my TAG recycler? There's all sorts of gunk stuck inside, in the tube on the top, and the tube running back into the recycler. I can't fill it far enough with alcohol to make the top chamber or top tube clean.

F10q-RC-076T-4076C-LE.04.1_5.jpg

Last edited:
Green420,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

How do I fully clean my TAG recycler? There's all sorts of gunk stuck inside, in the tube on the top, and the tube running back into the recycler. I can't fill it far enough with alcohol to make the top chamber or top tube clean.

The top one is called the uptake tube, and the other is the drain tube by the way, and there's no reason to fill up and soak, I never do that with any of my glass... Just need to use kosher salt poured from the top and the bottom, so when you shake with iso it can move around to clean and scrub the glass in those tubes. You could also buy scrubby duckies from vgoodiez so if you want to get in there manually, also hot water helps too!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

F10q-RC-076T-4076C-LE.04.1_5.jpg
Because I use CE I can normally get by with hot water rinsing, but when I need to do a thorough cleaning of a piece I use a plug on the joint and mouthpiece opening and use PBW in hot water and let it soak for a few hours. PBW (Powdered Brewer Wash) is a very effective cleaner made for cleaning brewing equipment.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Nothing beats acetone + salt followed by hot water rinse. Fill bubbler to the brim and let sit for 2 hours and almost everything will be gone. Anything left will be solid residue on the glass and can be dislodged by removing some of the acetone, adding salt and shaking (with care), and then rinsing with hot water.
Acetone will eat into silicone so don't use plugs. No need for them.

You can re-use the same acetone many times - just pour it into a suitable airtight container. Do NOT evaporate so that you can use the reclaim. :o

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I use cranberry extract and citric acid while using a bong then a hot water rinse is all that is usually needed every other day to keep it clean. If it still has a lingering smell I use a quick iso swish followed by hot water again.
If I still see some cloudiness I like SimpleGreen (reusable many times) for soaking (at least overnight) as it is not so toxic. I have PBW in the cupboard but have not had to use it yet.

Top Bottom