Glass 101

chillAtGVC

I wonder how oven cleaner would work. I use it a lot in the kitchen for cleaning off baked on oil deposits (pans, coffee roaster, etc)

chillAtGVC,

chillAtGVC

Very TOXIC!
I would advise washing the glass with water and bit of soap after cleaning it. But I would advise that with ISO or anything else. It is not toxic so much as a strong base (i.e. opposite of an acid) that has the effect of breaking certain chemical bonds. That is how/why it works.

chillAtGVC,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Most oven cleaners are pretty poisonous, and if you're going to use them, you have to be really careful about cleaning your glass carefully and completely afterwards. I personally wouldn't use it. I use PBW or ISO to clean glass pretty exclusively. And you should carefully rinse out your glass after using them as well. I also use cranberry extract in my bong water so most of the time all I really need to use to clean my glass is hot water.

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
My secret is 91% iso & Epsom salt. I’ve tried table salt, coarse sea salt, etc. and there’s no comparison, for some reason Epsom salt is noticeably more effective. Add salt and iso, plug the openings and shake vigorously, let it rest, and repeat the shaking as needed. It makes my glass sparkle.

badbee

I was low on ISO recently and cleaned my stuff with Dawn Powerwash (which contains ISO) and it worked really well. A few sprays of the Powerwash and some hot water shaken in a ziplock and it was 95% clean, I followed with an ISO rinse (the small amount I had) and a water rinse and there was no left over taste or stickiness at all.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I just grab this stuff at the supermarket for like $2-3 a bottle:

I actually prefer this stuff (over Everclear and iso), but it's kinda expensive and has to be delivered:
Cleaning with food grade alcohol is cool cuz when you're done cleaning just pour it in oj, or what-have-you, and chug!

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Probably not the right thread to ask, but since we're talking about alcohol, I wondered if anyone knows whether it is worse for the environment to pour used isopropyl down the drain, or to let it evaporate into the air in a pan outside?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Probably not the right thread to ask, but since we're talking about alcohol, I wondered if anyone knows whether it is worse for the environment to pour used isopropyl down the drain, or to let it evaporate into the air in a pan outside?

I was just thinking about this as I was cleaning yesterday, would it also be quite bad to pour it in the ground better to pour it on concrete?? And yeah does evaporate I guess lol so that is the question... So hard to manage with cleaning and proper care as the oils make the alcohol so sticky too

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Yeah I recall there being concerns about it ending up in the ocean that way though

Shit Snacks,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So hard to manage with cleaning and proper care as the oils make the alcohol so sticky too
Right. I try to use it three or four times (at least) before I toss it but once it gets significant color to it, it tends to make the parts a little too sticky to just hot water rinse off.

Shit Snacks

Right. I try to use it three or four times (at least) before I toss it but once it gets significant color to it, it tends to make the parts a little too sticky to just hot water rinse off.

Yes I clean a bunch of rigs at once, using the same, pouring from rig to rig, but after the first few they then need clean alcohol afterwards again lol all so tedious!

Shit Snacks,
  • Haha
Reactions: cybrguy

Knewt

I keep 3 large mouth Nalgene bottles half filled with 99% iso. The oldest is the first soak, then cleaning and a soak in the 2nd bottle. Last bottle is fairly clean iso. When the first bottle gets nasty, it gets dumped and I start a new bottle with clean iso. I have found that locally the cheapest price for 99% iso comes from a Cal Ranch store, so try a local feed and seed store for iso.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
That's exactly what I do too @Knewt even when the iso is sticky it still has a lot of cleaning power left in it!.

I usually run the used stuff down the sink with some water when it's done. There's plenty of alcohol going down the drains from different industry and as long as it's diluted I think it should be fine.

Kaiju

Hoping this would be an appropriate place to ask since I could not find any comparisons.

I'm dipping my toes in the world of glass and was wondering what would are the differences/strengths between a j hook piece and a small bubbler? Are there specific vapes that would work better with one over the other? Is it also just personal preference on what glass piece would fit someone's use?

Appreciate any feedback! :)

Kaiju,

Shit Snacks

Hoping this would be an appropriate place to ask since I could not find any comparisons.

I'm dipping my toes in the world of glass and was wondering what would are the differences/strengths between a j hook piece and a small bubbler? Are there specific vapes that would work better with one over the other? Is it also just personal preference on what glass piece would fit someone's use?

Appreciate any feedback! :)

There are no comparisons because it's pretty different, when you're talking about a dry piece versus a water piece, I guess it's not that different if it's a small bubbler with only a little bit of diffusion, that can help condition the vapor a bit, but you lose a little with water, so drive vaping can have more effect as a result... Also not every hook is created equal, ideally one with right angles would be best, and yes it depends on the vape because these are better with portables but there are people that use heavy hitting desktop with simple hooks sometimes, but yeah super simple hook not as good probably so you would want one of the more involved nicer options probably? Depending how you plan to use it exactly

Kaiju

@Shit Snacks , ah ok.

If I understand you correctly- portables will typically fit with a j hook and a desktop with a bubbler with some crossover, correct?

With a terpcicle, couchlog, and dani fusion- that would better fit a bubbler, not a j hook, in your opinion?

Kaiju,

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks , ah ok.

If I understand you correctly- portables will typically fit with a j hook and a desktop with a bubbler with some crossover, correct?

They both work with both, bubbler is a wide category, so I would say smaller bubbler with a portable perhaps but they both work with both doesn't really matter that broadly, the specifics have a lot of variables between the vapes and the glass pieces...

With a terpcicle, couchlog, and dani fusion- that would better fit a bubbler, not a j hook, in your opinion?

They are all different they would all be good with either!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Kaiju

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks thank you! 🙏

I guess I have more research to do!

Yeah sorry I don't have a set reply with links haha there are just too many on my mind but they should all be around, it's tough to decide what you want without being aware of options and trying everything I know

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Kaiju

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Just like the best vape, the best glass piece is a moving target and very personal. If you have a look in my spoiler you will see part of the journey that I've been on. And my glass journey is very amateur compared to @ShitSnacks . :rolleyes:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I just thought I'd make a recommendation. This is a pretty basic piece that is very easy to clean because the down stem comes out. It also has a joint for the mouthpiece, so you can change the mouthpiece based on your own desires. It works well with a wide variety of vapes and is quite popular while being inexpensive. Its called the FC Mod and it is available with or without an additional can that connect to it for further diffusion. This is one of several pieces that you can find on DHgate that were created with the assistance or recommendations of some users here. They are copies of other works that are out there from actual name brand designers that are much more expensive. Most of them, like the FC UFO, have FC in their name to indicate that they were made from our recommendations.

Top Bottom