• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Glass 101

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
The reason why you might find no-one who uses vinegar and lemon juice, is simply because ISO washes work so extraordinarily well and ISO is so inexpensive and accessible at any drug store.

To answer your question, no I have never had success nor tried.

Is there a reason you want to avoid ISO?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Try vinegar or lemon juice :). Maybe others can chime in with their experience with cranberry exctract ,never tried it,but i think it serves similar purpose,although it is used as an additive to the water.
I am a big fan of CE (cranberry extract) and I use it every day, but it is meant to prevent dirtying up your glass, not to clean it once it is dirty. When using CE all I usually need to do is a hot water rinse.

In the past, especially when I combusted, once glass was dirty I tried various cleaning solutions including ones designed (or labeled) specifically to clean water pipes, and nothing has ever really worked better than ISO, or for major cleans PBW.

@arb, I wonder of PBW might be worth a try for you. It is meant for cleaning brewing equipment and works really well on stubborn stains on glass. I usually let it soak several hours or overnight and it has never failed me. Do be sure to rinse it well afterwards.

Last edited:

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Is there a reason you want to avoid ISO?

No reason to.

I'm relatively new to the glass game and the question arose in my mind.

We use vinegar as a spray and wipe around the house, bench tops, windows, deodorise the dishwasher etc.

It works well enough at those tasks.

PBW?

Particle Beam Weapon, Plain Brown Wraper, Parts By Weight, Power By Wire, Premier British Wrestling, Philly Beer Week. :cheers:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Squiby Me too! Small wonder I’ve always felt connected with ya, always been fairly certain that you & I could pick each other out in a crowd. Maybe some day I will be as thoughtful and helpful but I doubt it, I still have way too much growing up to do... but you’re definitely setting the standard for me and maybe with a lot of work? Yeah, probably too much to hope for. I can still dream!

On topic post: so I’ve adopted (& adapted) MomoftheGoons’ methodology for sparkling glass and I love the simplicity and ease. She uses a 5-gallon bucket but I use a smaller Rubbermaid container, filled with Simple Green (the stuff in the jug, not the spray bottle) & topped with water, maybe 3:1? Pop ya glass to soak overnight and bish-bash-bosh, it’s ready to go in the morning! Since this is so easy, my glass never gets too nasty to begin with but if it’s not clean, simply let it sit some more. Less handling whilst cleaning means less risk of breakage given my general level of clutziness and on bad days, hand stiffness & neuropathy.

Once @ataxian converted me to his clean glass is civilised religion, the idea of using yesterday’s already dirty bubbler or rig became rather gross in my mind so this SG method allows me to feel more civilised than I truly am and I can really appreciate the flavour of my herbs. I still don’t really know how long the bucket of SG will last but others have said 6 months or more so it’s also a very economical solution.

After pouring the SG from the piece back into the bucket, I use a small amount of white vinegar and swish it around, it cuts through the remaining SG clinging to the glass and reduces the amount of hot water flushes from the tap. Because our tap water is also brutally hard, the last rinse is always distilled water. This may sound like a lot of effort and time but it’s 2-3 minutes tops, easy.

PBW will remove anything, including hard water/lime stains from glass, but a little goes a long way and I’ve seen & read of glass being permanently ruined by too-high concentrations or letting sit too long or not rinsing well enough or some combination. I do have a small tub of PBW but haven’t needed it in ages, just using SG and distilled water in my pieces when I choose water instead of going with dry/anhydrous glass.

Last edited:

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
Agree. I'm planning on the Simple Green bucket soak, just need to get to the hardware store. I believe 50/50 mix of SG/water, leave it covered and it'll last for months.

That's what I read on the internet anyway so it must be true. I'll let you know in months. Then you can read it on the internet and you'll know it's true. Or not.

It seems the combination of edibles and vaping with my new glass vapcap stem are working quite well. :D

Morty

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Hey all,

I posted this pistol case somewhere on FC 3 or 4 years ago just to let folks know what a great deal could be had at Rural King on a pistol case that is absolutely perfect for storage and transportation of "smallish" glassware, e.g., joints, stems, bubblers etc.

Decided to to buy another one and consequently thought I'd bring this item to the attention of the FC crowd once again.
: )

Find them here at a very affordable price...... $6.99 and something like $10 shipping if I call correctly.

I think Walmart has them comparably priced and no doubt other big box retailers as well.

210400413.jpg

Stay safe!

Zander

alright so I’ve got a question and I have no idea where to ask it so I guess I’ll just ask it here cuz the name of the thread is glass 101. I just bought my very first glass pipe ever. a grav gandalf sherlock pipe. I was just wondering.. do I need to put a screen in the bowl? can I smoke hash and kief with this pipe without adding flower? I know it involves combustion but I’m hoping somebody will answer my questions regardless.

Kins

@Zander by the looks of it, it has a bowl. a screen shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah only if you want to inhale ashes. A screen is meant to prevent this. I'm not being wise because it's true.

alright so I’ve got a question and I have no idea where to ask it so I guess I’ll just ask it here cuz the name of the thread is glass 101. I just bought my very first glass pipe ever. a grav gandalf sherlock pipe. I was just wondering.. do I need to put a screen in the bowl? can I smoke hash and kief with this pipe without adding flower? I know it involves combustion but I’m hoping somebody will answer my questions regardless.

Here is what I used to use on my pipes and bowls,

That'll work with the Gandolf for sure. They last forever too.

rodders83

My glass is all cloudy i simply cannot get clean my bubbler there are still bits stuck on the inside iso rinses will not remove it.

I am thinking of soaking it for days, And another issue is honeyoil inside perculators again iso wont dissolve it in rinses. What would you try to dissolve it?

Vapouristo

Vapouristo Extraordinaire IG: @Vapouristo
Company Rep
Has anyone had success using vinegar or lemon juice instead of an iso wash in ash catchers, bubblers, jhooks etc.

Gear used for vapor only, of course! :smug:
" Ethanol therefore attracts polar and ionic molecules. Thus, ethanol can dissolve both polar and non-polar substances. .. "

Basically any strong alcohol will work way better than anything water-based

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
" Ethanol therefore attracts polar and ionic molecules. Thus, ethanol can dissolve both polar and non-polar substances. .. "

Basically any strong alcohol will work way better than anything water-based
I'm lucky my state sells everclear 95% food grade ethyl alcohol. Eases my mind using cleaners I could drink if I wanted to haha

Top Bottom