• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Ghost MV1

clownt33

so has anyone tried a firmware update since the website is down? i have a few new units that are running the old FW and i'm kinda afraid to try to update them for fear of bricking them.. would depend on whether the new FW is part of the app or downloaded from a server..

Summer

Long Island, NY
I wouldn't chance it. Being that you have to log in to connect to the app, I would think that it may be downloaded. But, honestly, I know jack about apps.

KVVS

Before you update it will check your vs whats on the server, if it cant reach it , it wont update and nothing ever happens to your unit.
It would be bad practice to remove/edit your device before theres even an acknowledgement of a new firmware... if its interrupted during updating now that bricks devices.
I wouldnt be scared to try it, but i can understand the hesitation and cant give a final answer, only how i think it works.

edit
Grabbed my ghost and the app, when i press the firmware update button it says nothing is available (mine is 1.4) and also logging out doesnt work, dont think its working anymore.

clownt33

Before you update it will check your vs whats on the server, if it cant reach it , it wont update and nothing ever happens to your unit.
It would be bad practice to remove/edit your device before theres even an acknowledgement of a new firmware... if its interrupted during updating now that bricks devices.
I wouldnt be scared to try it, but i can understand the hesitation and cant give a final answer, only how i think it works.

edit
Grabbed my ghost and the app, when i press the firmware update button it says nothing is available (mine is 1.4) and also logging out doesnt work, dont think its working anymore.
My first 2 were already updated and it shows me the same thing as yours on the firmware.. the new one I got has the firmware update icon like it’s available..

clownt33,

floribud

so has anyone tried a firmware update since the website is down? i have a few new units that are running the old FW and i'm kinda afraid to try to update them for fear of bricking them.. would depend on whether the new FW is part of the app or downloaded from a server..
If you unzip the App you can probably look around in the file structure, you may see something that looks like a firmware in there. I doubt that they compiled the firmware into the main code, so if it's in there it should be a separate file.
You could try the update with wifi and cell data turned off. If it needs to reach out to a Ghost or AWS server it will probably barf on a network error long before it wipes your current firmware.

BTW Another question...

Should I preemptively remove the spring in my latch door? Did someone once suggest that reliever the latch of that extra tensin might help it last longer?

Last edited:
floribud,
Reactions: LesPlenty

badbee

Should I preemptively remove the spring in my latch door? Did someone once suggest that reliever the latch of that extra tensin might help it last longer?

This has been suggested but only a couple of people have confirmed doing it. I use the two handed approach of holding the door closed when pushing the lever. This, in theory, takes pressure off the latch so it will wear out much more slowly. If the latch fails removing the spring is still an option, the door will stay closed from friction and the broken latch won't matter.

floribud

This has been suggested but only a couple of people have confirmed doing it. I use the two handed approach of holding the door closed when pushing the lever. This, in theory, takes pressure off the latch so it will wear out much more slowly. If the latch fails removing the spring is still an option, the door will stay closed from friction and the broken latch won't matter.
I usually do go gently with two hands ... but sometimes I forget. I don't really want to pull out the spring.... but if it will delay an inevitable failure ... perhaps it's worth it. I guess the question is how inevitable is failure in my particular black chrome Ghost?

Anyone have a 2 year old Ghost that they use daily and the latch/door still work properly? We here about the failures, who's got the long-term success story?

floribud,
  • Haha
Reactions: Mangu

Summer

Long Island, NY
@floribud, can't answer the 2nd paragraph because I rotate between several ghosts & other vapes so I know I can't have used even 1 ghost for 2 consecutive years. But what I do know is that the latch problem is pretty much isolated to the Stealth Black.

I wouldn't proactlively remove the pressure band, especially not on the Black Chrome.

Follow what badbee said:
I use the two handed approach of holding the door closed when pushing the lever. This, in theory, takes pressure off the latch so it will wear out much more slowly. If the latch fails removing the spring is still an option

Should your latch ever break, there's a pic in this thread of a member who successfully uses professional strength Velcro to hold the door closed on his Black Stealth version.

Summer,
Reactions: Jill NYC

floribud

@floribud, can't answer the 2nd paragraph because I rotate between several ghosts & other vapes so I know I can't have used even 1 ghost for 2 consecutive years. But what I do know is that the latch problem is pretty much isolated to the Stealth Black.

I wouldn't proactlively remove the pressure band, especially not on the Black Chrome.

Follow what badbee said:

Should your latch ever break, there's a pic in this thread of a member who successfully uses professional strength Velcro to hold the door closed on his Black Stealth version.
Thanks, Started with a Stealth and had to return it for a malfunctioning fire button. Fortunately Vern strongly suggested getting a different color. This one has been fine, and I'm just starting to really like it, since realizing I could lower the temp with custom settings. Had to dust off an old android that found in drawer. Glad I found it, it totally changed my view of the device

cosimo

Looking for batteries... anyone have spare batteries new/in good condition? please

cosimo,

clownt33

So, as of today, strangely the Ghost vapes website has a picture and a logo up... not sure if it means anything but i know it had been completely shut down so maybe there is hope

floribud

HTML:
<!--  This site was created in Webflow. http://www.webflow.com  -->
<!--  Last Published: Mon Aug 24 2020 09:11:03 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)  -->

So we know as of August 24, 2020 someone owning the brand Ghost Vapes is still in possession of a $12/month WebFlow website. And they choose to highlight a micro-usb port as their one picture.

SquirrelMaster

If they do come back they'll either have a TON of warranty claims to process or pitch forks outside their proverbial doors if they deny existing owners. I would hope for the former obviously. I know very little about a company declaring bankruptcy but I would assume they wouldn't be able to get out of warranty claims if they came back as Ghost Vapes, maybe just some of debt they had? Still seems weird they would have any sort of graphic up.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: cosimo

Summer

Long Island, NY
I doubt it's anything. They had cleared out the site. IIRC, every link went to an empty green & white gvwebflow page. It would have been sporting of them if they left the FAQ page up just so we'd know what the led error codes meant just in case we got one. Stupid me, should have taken screenshots of them.

clownt33

I know the last time I looked at it there wasn’t even a trace of the old website... this may not mean anything but clearly someone had to put the image back up.. for what reason is the ?

clownt33,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Top Bottom