***Gamers*** What are you playing?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I never finished Ni No Nuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I need to start again.

Ramahs,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

opening scene of Starfield leaked

tw0tz4ufs3lb1.jpg

EarthworldTim

I'm well and truly baffled at the mixed reviews for Starfield. Incredibly fun game. Like an open world Mass Effect.

image.png
I had that exact thought last night about more of an open world mass effect. I understand why some are underwhelmed but I like it quite a bit. If only they had some better writing like Obsidian offers I think it would really improve the story/missions a lot. I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of Starfield but I think I'll end up playing BG3 more, replays and such.

Retro games news: Volition, developer of the old Descent games I mentioned earlier, has closed their doors 😞 I did play one or two of the saints row games, they were fun. Bummer and I actually had no idea they were behind descent until I just heard this news.

EarthworldTim,

florduh

I had that exact thought last night about more of an open world mass effect. I understand why some are underwhelmed but I like it quite a bit. If only they had some better writing like Obsidian offers I think it would really improve the story/missions a lot. I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of Starfield but I think I'll end up playing BG3 more, replays and such.

I think BG3 is objectively the better game. Definitely has better writing than Starfield (at least so far). That having been said...I'm having more fun playing Starfield! And I had a shit ton of fun with BG3, and will certainly do many more playthroughs. Gamers are eating so damn good right now.

If you don't like Bethesda games, I don't know if they've done anything new to change your mind. But if you liked Skyrim or Fallout 3/4....Starfield fuckin slaps. There was a mission in the United Colonies questline I did last night... I was hooting and hollering like I was on a roller coaster or something. It's the jetpacks. I got an upgraded jetpack and was bouncing all over the place like Boba Fett while a Deathclaw was chasing me.

Baldur's Gate is filet mignon. Starfield is more like a really good burger. And I fuckin love burgers.

rocket-launch-rock.gif

Disclaimer: I've already completed a BG playthrough. Only about 8 hours into SF. So my opinion might change. Haven't done much with ships yet. But the ability to disable an enemy ship, dock, murder everyone one board, and steal all their shit is delightful.

Retro games news: Volition, developer of the old Descent games I mentioned earlier, has closed their doors 😞

I heard about Volition, but didn't know they were the Descent guys. That's a real bummer.

Piecho

Forza Horizon 4 and 5 as a chill game.
Tried also Blasphemus 2, looks like they made some good job when comes to responsive movement.

Piecho,

florduh

As Starfield continues to consume my non-working hours, I'm becoming more confused at the hate.

I do have complaints, but they're more like little niggles than major issues. One quote from a professional reviewer said something like "Starfield is infinitely wide, but an inch deep". People are allowed to have opinions, but this one seems factually wrong to me.

Bethesda might not have the same level of writing you see in BG3 or Disco Elysium. But they excel at creating worlds that feel alive. Last night I was walking by an elderly couple in the United Colonies capital. The wife was comforting her husband as he reminisced about their daughter who died in the Colony War.

"She would've been 40 this year. Our little girl. She could've been anything she wanted to be. What was the point?"

It was a real kick in the nuts. There's a ton of environmental storytelling in this game. Another example: an offhand convo with a NPC led to me organizing a war between settlers and Space Punks occupying their system. I had to do some light diplomacy to get them to work together, then engaged in both space and ground battles. This wasn't even a major questline.

The main quest is very slow to get started, though it's getting better now. But the faction questline I'm doing is a banger from the jump.

I've played a lot of space games. Starfield is absolutely the best of them. No other game really captures the feeling of being a starship captain making their mark on the galaxy.

F5s5f_9b0AAc9O4

Farid

I feel that way about most open world RPGs as well as games like Far Cry 2 and the missions in GTA (though I still enjoy playing GTA from time to time). These games feel so repetitive.

Granted most of my gaming took place between 2000 and 2008, which was a truly great era. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R, AOE2, Jedi Outcast, CS Source. Those games occupied so much of my childhood.

But none of those games were mission style rpg games. The single player ones had a linear plot, and it was the plot and gameplay was what kept you playing - not character building or exploring. There was no loot collecting, endless wandering, or random interactions with NPCs.

Last edited:

Razhumikin

I feel that way about most open world RPGs as well as games like Far Cry 2 and the missions in GTA (though I still enjoy playing GTA from time to time). These games feel so repetitive.

Granted most of my gaming took place between 2000 and 2008, which was a truly great era. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R, AOE2, Jedi Outcast, CS Source. Those games occupied so much of my childhood.

But none of those games were mission style rpg games. The single player ones had a linear plot, and it was the plot and gameplay was what kept you playing - not character building or exploring. There was no loot collecting, endless wandering, or random interactions with NPCs.
Yea i think this is largely a preference thing, which I also align with. I dont love open world style rpgs, i get lost easily wandering around the map and get bored with it pretty quickly. I like to have defined things to do in a game. To each there own though, i recognize those games are cool and i honestly kinda wish i could get into them, even though every time ive tried i havent been able to get far.

Farid

I think being particularly interested in the theme makes a difference too. I haven't played it much, but I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption 2 despite the fact that it has many of the elements that normally turn me off in these types of games. Same goes for GTA4. I like the storyline and characters, which made the repetitive missions tolerable. I absolutely loathed GTA5's story mode on the other hand, because I found the plot and characters ridiculous.

I'll be honest though, I'm extremely skeptical of any new game from a big name developer. They've all become money grabs. Every single game that's on my radar right now is from a smaller dev: Ready or Not, Squad, War of Rights, Hell Let Loose to name a few. I just have to build a new pc first...

florduh

Yea i think this is largely a preference thing, which I also align with. I dont love open world style rpgs, i get lost easily wandering around the map and get bored with it pretty quickly. I like to have defined things to do in a game. To each there own though, i recognize those games are cool and i honestly kinda wish i could get into them, even though every time ive tried i havent been able to get far.

Funny enough, in general, I agree with you. For example I couldn't get into GTA, despite recognizing it's a great game. Most of the time I want a straightforward goal.

But I'm a SciFi head, so I do like immersive open world RPG's in that particular genre. Loved Cyberpunk 2077 and am looking forward to the expansion. Starfield is hitting for me in a way No Man's Sky never did because there's cool things to do, interesting storylines, NPC's.

On the other hand, I've lived in LA so GTA V isn't compelling for me. And while I somewhat enjoyed Fallout 4.... Massachusetts AFTER it got nuked isn't exactly a world I want to immerse myself in.

Every single game that's on my radar right now is from a smaller dev.

Some bad news on that front:

A lot of those games are built with Unity. And they want to start charging devs $.20 PER install. With the size of modern games, a lot of folks will uninstall and reinstall the same game multiple times.

Still...what indies are you looking forward to? I've heard good things about Sea of Stars.

Last edited:

Farid

Honestly I'm pretty out of the loop, as you can probably tell since all of those titles I listed are years old already. I love history and online squad based games, so anything in that realm.

I'd absolutely love to play a Franco Prussian War themed online FPS. Or a Spanish American War game.

Razhumikin

Funny enough, in general, I agree with you. For example I couldn't get into GTA, despite recognizing it's a great game. Most of the time I want a straightforward goal.

But I'm a SciFi head, so I do like immersive open world RPG's in that particular genre. Loved Cyberpunk 2077 and am looking forward to the expansion. Starfield is hitting for me in a way No Man's Sky never did because there's cool things to do, interesting storylines, NPC's.

On the other hand, I've lived in LA so GTA V isn't compelling for me. And while I somewhat enjoyed Fallout 4.... Massachusetts AFTER it got nuked isn't exactly a world I want to immerse myself in.

Some bad news on that front:

A lot of those games are built with Unity. And they want to start charging devs $.20 PER install. With the size of modern games, a lot of folks will uninstall and reinstall the same game multiple times.

Still...what indies are you looking forward to? I've heard good things about Sea of Stars.
As a native Massachusettan i would be interested to know if i could still get a good roast beef sandwich and a lime rickey after the nuclear apocalypse.

florduh

I'd absolutely love to play a Franco Prussian War themed online FPS. Or a Spanish American War game.

I would play the shit out of either of those games!

Whenever I get tired of Starfield next up on the docket is this game

It's from one of the New Vegas devs. I find this period of history, when feudalism was dying and capitalism was burgeoning, to be really fascinating.

As a native Massachusettan i would be interested to know if i could still get a good roast beef sandwich and a lime rickey after the nuclear apocalypse.

I don't remember the roast beef, but there was some funny sandwich discourse

EarthworldTim

Same goes for GTA4. I like the storyline and characters, which made the repetitive missions tolerable. I absolutely loathed GTA5's story mode on the other hand, because I found the plot and characters ridiculous.
I completely agree with this but it seems to be an unpopular opinion. GTA V was way too edge lordy and over the top for me and I didn't get far at all with the chopped up story and multiple playable characters. Niko Bellic was the best in my opinion, loved that game so much.

I do think Starfield suffers from so many fucking menus and menus within menus. That and the terrestrial "maps" are just stupid and should have layers for terrain and other landmarks. The menu thing is exacerbated by using a controller on my PC to lounge on the couch but I feel like it could be improved. I think it wouldn't bother me as much if there weren't so many different systems and things to learn all through the various menus they throw at you.

Other than that I'm very pleased and having a blast with the game.

EarthworldTim,
Adding to the discussion here, I also generally prefer linear games, such as the Naughty Dog stuff, God of War, etc. Open world stuff is totally hit or miss for me. I never finished GTAV but absolutely loved RDR2. Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn are some other recent ones I couldn’t get into. I really need a great story and dialogue to stay engrossed.

As far as indie games go, I’m still waiting for Hollow Knight Silksong, but who knows when that game will actually come out. :lol:

Farid

For me a good single player game is like a book. You play it once, and it's amazing, but when you're done, you're done... until you go back and play it again a few months later, and the second time it's as good if not better than the first.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is a great example of this. Its linear, but you can replay it all different kinds of ways, and each time you notice more details that you may not have picked up on before. You can play it stealth, trying not to kill anyone. You can play it speed, killing everyone you come across. Or you can play it for the plot, interrogating every enemy, reading every email, doing every opportunity objective.

I feel like the open world games end up too "aimless". This is OK if the gameplay is fun, or the game is fun to watch... I find trying to hold 6 stars in GTA a good example of this. But when the gameplay is just collecting stuff and wandering I find it so boring - I find Fallout the worst in this regard. I can tolerate Skyrim a bit more.

florduh

I do think Starfield suffers from so many fucking menus and menus within menus. That and the terrestrial "maps" are just stupid and should have layers for terrain and other landmarks. The menu thing is exacerbated by using a controller on my PC to lounge on the couch but I feel like it could be improved. I think it wouldn't bother me as much if there weren't so many different systems and things to learn all through the various menus they throw at you.

Agree with the maps and menus. I got a notification that they're doing some sort of fix for the maps. They also really need a mini map for the cities.

Maybe you already know this. But if you're in your ship, you can press the scanner button and line up with the system you want to jump to. Anything to avoid menus a bit helps.

I also recommend the United Colonies storyline. It's pure Mass Effect and could've been the main story. Maybe the Freestar Collective quests are just as good but I didn't want to LARP as a Space Libertarian.

I'm also enjoying the persuasion mini game. It's like the only RPG mechanic I feel SF does better than BG3. Though I do miss the visceral feeling from seeing a dice roll.

As far as indie games go, I’m still waiting for Hollow Knight Silksong, but who knows when that game will actually come out. :lol:

Oh man, I thought that was this year? I'm in the market for 2D games I can play on my laptop during flights for more than an hour.

I really liked Cult of the Lamb, but it's going away because of the Unity Engine horseshit.

Edit: I forgot Hollow Knight is a Unity game, so it way never release now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom