***Gamers*** What are you playing?

florduh

I'm still early in the game. Any advice?

Don't be afraid of crazy/weird dialogue options. You can usually get out of any trouble it lands you in. And it's super fun.

qdkxc8467jw31.png

Don't skip the Cryptozoology questline. It pays off incredibly nicely in the end. The old lady in a wheelchair at the Whirling Rags can get you started.

Become a Communist! The idea of a Commie Cop is very funny. And there are moments in the questline that are quite touching.

I played about an hour of NORCO last night. While it's not exactly the same as DE, it definitely scratches a similar itch. Love the 16 bit style art and music too.

header.jpg

florduh

Kick Cuno in the dick.

"the fuck does Cuno care?"

Good catch! You should definitely do violence to that child! Unless you've upped your empathy stats, it's hard to make the dice go your way...but getting to the end of the Cuno "questline" was surprisingly worth it.

I need to go back to this one. I played an hour or two as well and liked it.

Yeah man it exceeded my expectations. Great writing. I dug the art style. And the synth soundtrack was jammin. I'm moving NORCO closer to the top of my backlog docket.

New Orleans Pixel GIF by Xbox

delta hotel

I loved NORCO, but grew up in the area depicted so it hit a lot of personal notes.

I got a ways into Disco Elysium when I first tried it, then stopped for some reason or another and recently tried to start it again from the beginning and I just can't get into it. This may be a game I just never finish, despite hearing how good it is. It's good, but I just struggle with it for some reason.

Lately though, it's been mostly Diablo. I got Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, put it in my Switch and haven't even booted it. The real wait is for the new Armored Core though.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I must be playing this game all wrong. I've been focusing on running through all dalog, even if it means I have to restart the conversation and go through the same steps over and over. I always restart the conversations till there are no conversation options That I haven't tried. I've found that to be the best way to get through other RPG's without missing anything. I mean, if the dialog exists, then I should run through it, right?!? I take it that is not the way with this one?

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I must be playing this game all wrong. I've been focusing on running through all dalog, even if it means I have to restart the conversation and go through the same steps over and over. I always restart the conversations till there are no conversation options That I haven't tried. I've found that to be the best way to get through other RPG's without missing anything. I mean, if the dialog exists, then I should run through it, right?!? I take it that is not the way with this one?
If you 're talking about Disco Elysium, in my time with it i got the impression that such a brute force approach will not work and lateral thinking is required!

Haze Mister,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
If you 're talking about Disco Elysium, in my time with it i got the impression that such a brute force approach will not work and lateral thinking is required!

Yeah, I've always treated all games like that. If there is a dialog that I haven't went through, or a request that I haven't acknowledged, then it drive me crazy. Ya know, why would it be there if I weren't supposed to experience it.

Maybe this isn't the game for me, because it drives me completely fucking NUTS to imagine that there was dialog or missions that I skipped in a game.

I can't just walk away from a conversation in a game if I know that there was a reply that i didn't try and go through to the end of the dialog.

Ramahs,
After about 90 hours I just finished Tears of the Kingdom (and all main quests for the complete ending). Wish I instead took it slower and played it in spurts, but I was close enough to the end that I thought it better to complete and then put away for a long while.

It's a great game but one that I could also spend hours nitpicking about to someone. I played Breath of the Wild as well so I couldn't help but think about what the developers chose to keep and how they expanded upon the existing world. Apparently it was originally planned as DLC for the first game, which explains why some aspects aren't fully thought out.

The next game I play would probably be very opposite -- linear storyline, 2d world, etc. Though I'll take a good break from games first.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Yeah, I've always treated all games like that. If there is a dialog that I haven't went through, or a request that I haven't acknowledged, then it drive me crazy. Ya know, why would it be there if I weren't supposed to experience it.

Maybe this isn't the game for me, because it drives me completely fucking NUTS to imagine that there was dialog or missions that I skipped in a game.

I can't just walk away from a conversation in a game if I know that there was a reply that i didn't try and go through to the end of the dialog.
Some games require multiple playthroughs before all possible scenarios can be revealed as there are irreversible choices that lock you out of certain branches unless you start from scratch. I don't like this usually unless the core gameplay mechanics are really really good but it seems prevalent in text-based adventure games. If there are no consequences to your choices then the game is not challenging.
The other option is to leave the game for a year or more so when you go back to replay it, it feels fresh.

Madtater

So i think i am done with blizzard.

They patched diablo 4 last night and jacked up the game. Played for a bit and went to bed. Got up this morning and now my maxed character is gone….completely. No response from blizzard.

Pretty much wasted all that time to max level.

I am pretty fucking pissed right now.

BeltedCoyote

Foggin up the woods
Got a steam deck as my ps4 is long in the tooth and at the time ps5s were not available.

I fluctuate between rimworld and other games. Playing rimworld at the moment actually.

florduh

Got a steam deck as my ps4 is long in the tooth and at the time ps5s were not available.

I fluctuate between rimworld and other games. Playing rimworld at the moment actually.

How are you liking the Deck? I keep going back and forth on whether or not I need one of those.

I picked up a Switch after emulating TOTK on my laptop. Ended up returning it because 1)It was hard going to 30fps after enjoying 60+ at 1440p on my PC. And 2) I found the controls way less comfortable than my Xbox controller.

But I do like the idea of playing PC games lying down.

BeltedCoyote

Foggin up the woods
How are you liking the Deck? I keep going back and forth on whether or not I need one of those.

I picked up a Switch after emulating TOTK on my laptop. Ended up returning it because 1)It was hard going to 30fps after enjoying 60+ at 1440p on my PC. And 2) I found the controls way less comfortable than my Xbox controller.

But I do like the idea of playing PC games lying down.

I love it. Probably my favorite platform for gaming I've ever had. By a long margin

delta hotel

I recently got an RG35xx for SUPER CHEAP. Used it to play through the Symphony of the Night andHarmony of Dissonance Castlevania's. I thought about starting Aria of Sorrow next. I dip in and out of Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, and Super Mario World with it. It's gotten a lot of action lately.

I haven't played much on PC, I did enjoy Tunic though, right at the end and need to finish it. I've played a little Battlebit with a friend and it's been fun if you enjoyed old school Battlefield.

I built a really nice PC and don't play many PC games these days, but the RG35xx made me think if I had a Steam Deck I could play anywhere, I might play more. Expensive experiment to run though.

florduh

Ok the concerted psyop to get me to play Baldur's Gate finally worked. Here's what finally sold me:

F3K_HwyW4AAAD6X
I agree that Disc Elysium is (arguably) the GOAT. It's also the only CRPG I've played. After playing about 5 hours of Baldur's Gate...it is sort of like Elden Ring and DE had a baby. The quality of Disco Elysium combined with the difficulty of ER.

BeltedCoyote

Foggin up the woods
Ok the concerted psyop to get me to play Baldur's Gate finally worked. Here's what finally sold me:

F3K_HwyW4AAAD6X
I agree that Disc Elysium is (arguably) the GOAT. It's also the only CRPG I've played. After playing about 5 hours of Baldur's Gate...it is sort of like Elden Ring and DE had a baby. The quality of Disco Elysium combined with the difficulty of ER.

Don't tell me this. I have vapes to buy! Lol

delta hotel

F3K_HwyW4AAAD6X
Baldur's Gate 3 has been fantastic so far. I had high hopes and it's still exceeded those. I was also a big fan of the original two games, as well as all of the old D&D CRPGs- Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and Planescape.

The DE/ER comparison is an interesting one, and one I wouldn't have thought to make. I think this one is more forgiving than the older counterparts, and maybe having played more CRPGs I'm more apt to compare it to those, especially the D&D ones. Oddly enough, as a big CRPG fan, I've tried twice to get into DE and struggled and just can't, and I know it's supposed to be one of the good ones.

If you enjoy that kind of gameplay, the originals are all great, but definitely dated. I however would highly recommend Planescape: Torment. It's older, but can be played like DE wherein you can beat the entire game with just dialogue. It received the update treatment a few years ago and is worth the look if you're into that. Larian's other Divinity games are also the base that BG3 was built from, and worth a look if you enjoy what they've done with this game.

delta hotel,
  • Love
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Baldur's Gate 3 has been fantastic so far. I had high hopes and it's still exceeded those. I was also a big fan of the original two games, as well as all of the old D&D CRPGs- Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and Planescape.

The DE/ER comparison is an interesting one, and one I wouldn't have thought to make. I think this one is more forgiving than the older counterparts, and maybe having played more CRPGs I'm more apt to compare it to those, especially the D&D ones. Oddly enough, as a big CRPG fan, I've tried twice to get into DE and struggled and just can't, and I know it's supposed to be one of the good ones.

If you enjoy that kind of gameplay, the originals are all great, but definitely dated. I however would highly recommend Planescape: Torment. It's older, but can be played like DE wherein you can beat the entire game with just dialogue. It received the update treatment a few years ago and is worth the look if you're into that. Larian's other Divinity games are also the base that BG3 was built from, and worth a look if you enjoy what they've done with this game.

Duuuude I'm loving this game. Never thought I would be in to turn based combat. But I'm getting hooked. Taking the time to put together a plan and seeing it succeed is very satisfying. I'd say just as satisfying as learning AI movesets and frantically dodging in an ARPG.

image.png

The DE/ER comparison is an interesting one

Kind of amazing that the two best reviewed video games of all time are both turn based CRPG's released within the past few years.

F3dCScyW4AENqSn

delta hotel

Duuuude I'm loving this game. Never thought I would be in to turn based combat. But I'm getting hooked. Taking the time to put together a plan and seeing it succeed is very satisfying. I'd say just as satisfying as learning AI movesets and frantically dodging in an ARPG.

image.png

Kind of amazing that the two best reviewed video games of all time are both turn based CRPG's released within the past few years.

F3dCScyW4AENqSn
An excellent way to solve multiple problems in BG3 is using 'Shove' to push a boss or enemy from a high enough ledge it kills them. I've used it and laughed at it multiple times now. There are so many ways to approach things.

Top Bottom