***Gamers*** What are you playing?

florduh

And people say No Man's Sky isn't fun

znw1guweqqq81.jpg

Just one hour??

hd_rider

Any pinball fans?

I retired late last year and bout a couple as retirement gifts to myself: Jurassic Park and Halloween. They've become a great way of doing nothing all day!

Halloween_01.jpg

Halloween_02.jpg

Halloween_03.jpg

Halloween_04.jpg

Halloween_05.jpg

JP_07.jpg

JP_06.jpg

JP_02.jpg

florduh

Anyone here started playing Elden Ring yet?

Just beat it last week. 47 hours. It's a very good game, but I think the hype is a tad overblown. The combat is very, very satisfying. That's the game's strong point. I like the art design and graphics too. But it's extremely stressful. I never considered antiperspirants for my hands before entering The Lands Between.

My biggest issue with the game was around the story. I never really knew what the hell was going on, and getting to the end only helped a little. Didn't really care about any of the characters. It was sold to me as Skyrim with better combat. I dunno about that. Skyrim felt like an alive world, with interesting NPC. The Lands Between just seemed like a barren hell. A beautiful one, sure. But a hell filled with grotesques and weirdos. It's a post apocalyptic setting though.

I'd still recommend it if you like hard games. Sort of feels like a modern version of an older game. Like, I didn't know what the story was in Contra either.

florduh

Not sure if there are any Oculus titles to get excited about anytime soon, but damn the gameplay for the December release of Ghostbusters looks ridiculously fun.

I'm excited for Ghostbusters, but I don't think the marketing team fully thought this through.

gnhbptqb3xu81.jpg

Kind of a drought with Quest games right now. An indie studio put together a really nice mech combat game though:

I remember playing mech combat PC games in the late 90's. This genre works very well in VR.

florduh

After two whole years, I've finally got the Vids. And it's clapping my ass cheeks pretty hard. I wanted to game a little, but intermittent fevers are cooking my brain so stressful shooters aren't really working for me. My reaction time is too slow. So I started playing a RPG called "Disco Elysium".

Anybody ever played this? It sounded kinda boring at first. There's no combat! But it managed to grab me more than most games. It's sort of like an old tabletop RPG. Skill checks with dice rolls. The writing is fantastic. I've seen people say "It's the best game I ever read". Like I said, it sounds boring, but it's anything but.

The amount of freedom you have when interacting with NPC's is great. Super funny too. Here's a snippet:

Me: approaching a woman on the streets "Hello there Madam. Do you smoke by any chance?"
Her: "No, sorry."
Me: "I think you are lying. Give me a smoke."
Her: "Excuse me? " looksbaffled
Me: "Nevermind."
Her: staresindisbelief
Me: "So, I'm a police officer, are you in any need of my services?"
Her: "Uhm, no."
Me: "Perhaps your children are missing?"
Her: "Are you a nanny now?"
Me: "I might be a nanny. Where are your children, exactly?"
Her: " Home."
Me: " Yes, home SMOKING YOUR CIGARETTES PROBABLY!!!"

delta hotel

After two whole years, I've finally got the Vids. And it's clapping my ass cheeks pretty hard. I wanted to game a little, but intermittent fevers are cooking my brain so stressful shooters aren't really working for me. My reaction time is too slow. So I started playing a RPG called "Disco Elysium".

Anybody ever played this? It sounded kinda boring at first. There's no combat! But it managed to grab me more than most games. It's sort of like an old tabletop RPG. Skill checks with dice rolls. The writing is fantastic. I've seen people say "It's the best game I ever read". Like I said, it sounds boring, but it's anything but.

The amount of freedom you have when interacting with NPC's is great. Super funny too. Here's a snippet:

Me: approaching a woman on the streets "Hello there Madam. Do you smoke by any chance?"
Her: "No, sorry."
Me: "I think you are lying. Give me a smoke."
Her: "Excuse me? " looksbaffled
Me: "Nevermind."
Her: staresindisbelief
Me: "So, I'm a police officer, are you in any need of my services?"
Her: "Uhm, no."
Me: "Perhaps your children are missing?"
Her: "Are you a nanny now?"
Me: "I might be a nanny. Where are your children, exactly?"
Her: " Home."
Me: " Yes, home SMOKING YOUR CIGARETTES PROBABLY!!!"
I started it months ago and really really enjoyed it but got distracted and haven't picked it back up. I need to go back to it, I loved the idea and execution. I love old school pen and paper styled games and that one does it well.

I platinumed Elden Ring solo and put it down but have picked it back up to mess with other character ideas. I wouldn't say it's empty, if you've never played a FROM game you might think so, but there's lore all over, it's just got to be dug for. Conversely, I always felt like Skyrim was a dead empty formulaic world and found it hard to finish or care about. Different strokes.

florduh

I started it months ago and really really enjoyed it but got distracted and haven't picked it back up. I need to go back to it, I loved the idea and execution. I love old school pen and paper styled games and that one does it well.

The crazy thing is, even though it's a computer RPG, it almost feels like there's a real human pen and paper "Dungeon Master" running the thing who can improvise new plotlines and characters on the fly to roll with how I'm playing

I wouldn't say it's empty, if you've never played a FROM game you might think so, but there's lore all over, it's just got to be dug for.

Yeah, I think I'm just not a fan of the From aesthetic, despite liking ER and loving the combat. I'm fine with difficult combat, but it seems to make everything in the world a challenge to decipher. I might be in the minority though, and like you said "different strokes". From what I hear I might enjoy the lore and story of Bloodbourne more. Hopefully there's a PC port in the future.

Now I'm imagining a game with the writing of Disco Elysium and From style combat. Might just be the fever talking though.

delta hotel

The crazy thing is, even though it's a computer RPG, it almost feels like there's a real human pen and paper "Dungeon Master" running the thing who can improvise new plotlines and characters on the fly to roll with how I'm playing

Yeah, I think I'm just not a fan of the From aesthetic, despite liking ER and loving the combat. I'm fine with difficult combat, but it seems to make everything in the world a challenge to decipher. I might be in the minority though, and like you said "different strokes". From what I hear I might enjoy the lore and story of Bloodbourne more. Hopefully there's a PC port in the future.

Now I'm imagining a game with the writing of Disco Elysium and From style combat. Might just be the fever talking though.
What you say about a DM running it is exactly how I felt!

Bloodborne is my absolute favorite FROM game and game of all time. I'm also anxiously awaiting a PC port. The world of FROM games can be a little difficult to decipher, or you can just head to YouTube and save yourself some time. I appreciate little things like not having a quest log, it prevents you from just playing a checklist like a lot of other games will lead you to. It promotes exploration. It just doesn't help that sometimes you forget who or where or what was going on because everything is so vague and you may often not even know you're on a quest from someone just mentioning some things. That's a FROM game though, always exhaust all of everyone's dialogue and pay close attention to everything. Just reading it, I can see how it's not for everyone.

florduh

What you say about a DM running it is exactly how I felt!

Bloodborne is my absolute favorite FROM game and game of all time. I'm also anxiously awaiting a PC port. The world of FROM games can be a little difficult to decipher, or you can just head to YouTube and save yourself some time. I appreciate little things like not having a quest log, it prevents you from just playing a checklist like a lot of other games will lead you to. It promotes exploration. It just doesn't help that sometimes you forget who or where or what was going on because everything is so vague and you may often not even know you're on a quest from someone just mentioning some things. That's a FROM game though, always exhaust all of everyone's dialogue and pay close attention to everything. Just reading it, I can see how it's not for everyone.

I didn't even mind the no quest log thing. Until I had to take like a week off. But even then, it wasn't bad. After playing Mass Effect and now Disco Elysium, I'm thinking my issue was I just wasn't as into the story/lore as much as I thought I would be. And the story seems to be pretty important to me when I'm playing a long game. Actually the Dark Souls lore sounds more interesting to me than ER. Maybe it's a George RR Martin issue.

I should stop talking shit though, because the game was fun as hell. The high you get from beating bosses is something else. I'll do another playthrough this year if there isn't a random Bloodborne drop.

florduh

Finished Disco Elysium last night. Incredible experience. This game has better writing than most books, movies, shows in recent memory.

Disco_Elysium_Poster.jpeg

Can't recommend it enough. And anyone regardless of their skill with video games can play it.

florduh

Looks cool...a shame my eyes usually run at about 576i or just under.:smug:

LOL even so, the Oculus Quest is only something like 250 PPI. The PSVR2 is supposed to have 800-900. That demo headset I posted above is over 2,000 and to me, looks like actual reality. Next Gen headsets should have adjustable optics too, so glasses wearers can tune it to their prescription.

Mostly what I'm interested in is a much lighter headset. After not using the Quest for a few weeks, I immediately noticed how clunky and heavy it feels. It's not terrible, and the sensation goes away pretty quick if you're doing something fun. But I want something half that weight. These new LCD and OLED displays should make that possible.

Slippery slope though. When the headsets become comfortable and have an incredible resolution, I might just fuck off into the Mentalverse forever.

tye sheridan GIF by Ready Player One

delta hotel

Prey from 2017 is free on the Epic Store right now. It was on my list of games I wanted to play at some point.

It's very good, I don't remember much (lol surprise) but I do remember really enjoying my time with it.

I've been catching up on some reading I backlogged, but your mention of Disco Elysium has it as the next game I plan to pick up since I got about 11 hours into it and then shelved it and have forgotten too much.

delta hotel,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

It's very good, I don't remember much (lol surprise) but I do remember really enjoying my time with it.

I've been catching up on some reading I backlogged, but your mention of Disco Elysium has it as the next game I plan to pick up since I got about 11 hours into it and then shelved it and have forgotten too much.

That's good too hear. I really like Sci Fi games and story driven shooters. And I can't beat the price right now!

I'll also probably do another Disco Elysium run this year after my memory fades. I really recommend finishing it once though. Just a super cool experience. My total playtime was 20 hours, but like a lot of RPG type games I'm really into, I panic when I get the sense I'm reaching "the point of no return", and do a bunch of side missions before it ends. That's also how I know I'm playing a banger.

Top Bottom