***Gamers*** What are you playing?

florduh

Really enjoyed it, and played way later than anticipated....

I really like the ballistics and shooting more than any game I've tried so far. Story is as one would expect from the series, but does keep the action moving forward.

The gameplay is arguably easier than others I've tried also, easier to progress on Medal than Elite Sniper or Path of the Warrior.
It is a big environment, I've been going through the story mode slowly and enjoying covering as much ground as possible. I have not yet tried the multiplayer mode but I imagine I am going to be way outclassed by more experienced users.

Thanks dude! I read some reviews that bummed me out, because I'm mostly interested in story mode. So I'm not totally sold on it yet. But I saw a video of the Normandy Beach level. Ummm experiencing D-Day in VR? Hell yeah. Combine that with the wholesome fun killing fascists provides, and I might have to pick it up when I get a coupon.

I am excited to see what other AAA Quest titles come out. It's crazy what they're able to run on smallish goggles these days.

florduh,

lookhigh

FC member
The gameplay is arguably easier than others I've tried also, easier to progress on Medal than Elite Sniper or Path of the Warrior.
I used to play this ages ago and was my favorite. Sadly it was never on playstation.
I like easy campaign games as i cannot keep up with the younger crowd.

lookhigh,
Reactions: florduh

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
how do you like that BoBo strap? I tried a cheap halo type strap earlier in the year and found it kind of janky and uncomfortable.
I couldn't do the strap that came with the quest 2. headache city. This is the only other strap I have tried. It is much more comfortable for sure. There are three points of adjustment. It took me 5 or 6 vr sessions to get it dialed in right. I do think the dial on the back sounds cheap when I turn it. I have found now that I have it adjusted perfect for my sputnik of a head that I don't have to mess with the dial anymore. It does come up if a share the device.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I hear ya @lookhigh I am not a multiplayer but love the stories... I used to joke that my dad grew up on stories of Tom Sawyer and Tom Swift, and I grew up with interactive stories from Tom Clancy. :lol:

Good to hear on the Bobo strap, it is not expensive- very reasonable in fact. I've really liked the elite strap, it is much better than stock and the battery provides nice counterbalance for the facemark. Bobo still looks more comfy, I think I'm going to have to give it a try!

Going under the hood for another big session tonight- killing Nazis is soooo much fun!

florduh

There’s a BoBo Pro strap with a slightly better build quality and a battery counterweight. But Amazon it doesn’t ship until the end of December.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member

florduh

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1065477870/tyco-tech-midnight-edition-m2-halo-strap?ref=yr_purchases

This is the one I got from Etsy. It costs a little more than the others because it is black. You can get white ones that are just as good for about 10 less. I did his upgrade where he includes a nice battery strap in the back that still allows you access to the dial. I have not actually plugged a battery into my quest 2 yet. Haven't had a longer than 2 hour session yet.

Damn, that's a nice setup! I bought a battery mount for my Elite strap from that guy. He does quality work.

Here's the BoBo Pro I was talking about. That magnetic battery looks pretty tight.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I’m gonna get that pro, looks sick!
What headphone options pair with the Bobo headsets?

Pro has been ordered!

Any of you VR users wear prescription glasses?
VR Wave's offerings look really appealing...

Last edited:

florduh

Fallout 4 VR is wild with the totally wireless Quest. This dude recreated his entire apartment to scale in Sanctuary, and then just sort of lives in it.

florduh

How long are y’all’s vr sessions?

I’m maxing out around 2 hours before vr sickness starts creeping in.

Luckily, I don't get motion sick at all. But it seems like most people do. 2 hours tends to be my max as well. Usually I'm just tired. Or tired of wearing the headset. It's more comfortable than I thought it would be. But I'm looking forward to next gen designs that shave a few hundred grams off the weight.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I don't get motion sick or sea sick, but VR sick is different IMO. Something about my eyes and ears not syncing with actual movement.

Motion sickness and sea sickness wears off as soon as your on stable ground, VR sick for me lasts hours- a bad case and I won't put a headset on for a couple weeks.

florduh

I don't get motion sick or sea sick, but VR sick is different IMO. Something about my eyes and ears not syncing with actual movement.

Motion sickness and sea sickness wears off as soon as your on stable ground, VR sick for me lasts hours- a bad case and I won't put a headset on for a couple weeks.

Whoah dude. I'm sorry, that sucks. The only advice I've heard is taking frequent breaks, and especially taking a break as soon as you feel off. Never push it. Other than that I've heard that having a fan on you can help. And it acts as a directional cue.

I do remember a few odd days right after I got the headset. I'm not sure how to explain it, but "real life" kind of looked/felt like VR. I mean, I vape every night too so that may have been part of it. And it went away after a few days. It also wasn't unpleasant. Just odd. But I think your brain has to figure out how to process VR.

From what I've heard, the confusion your brain experiences isn't dangerous. It definitely doesn't hurt to take a break. It's always a "wow" when I put my headset on after not using it for a while.

I do hope future tech can increase the FPS a bit. The Quest has 120hz as an experimental feature. I bet making that the norm, or maybe even 144hz would eliminate many of the issues people have. I mean, how many FPS is real reality running at?

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I’m gonna get that pro, looks sick!
What headphone options pair with the Bobo headsets?

I started off using the onboard sound. Not great. I tried using a set of audio technica over ear cans. The wire for those was way to thick and long for comfort. I moved to a pair of wireless/wired Sennheiser over the ear cans. These had a much smaller wire you could plug into quest 2. These would have been a good option with the original strap and probably the elite strap. They aren't great with the bobo strap because of the tabs on top of the strap. You end up with to many things going across the top of your dome and it kind of pushes down.

For almost all headphone listening I prefer a big set of over the ear headphones. My least favorite are ear buds. However for this application I am using earbuds. I can keep them attached to the device. When done with a sesh I don't have to remember to take headphones off my head first before removing the quest. I just remove quest from my face and the earbuds pop out of my ears.

This is what I currently using Logitech G333 VR Gaming Earphones

HughJundys,
Reactions: LesPlenty

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I'll start trying my pods... I have the apple ear pods, Gravastar Pro TWS earbuds finally arriving later this week, and some Beats buds expected around the holidays.

FlyingLow,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Well, my BoboVR M2 Pro is arriving December 1st! Very excited!

Had my first glitch on Medal of Honor last night, Mission 4 my arm got stuck in the bridge of the ship and I could not get it to respond. I eventually had to quit the level. I'll re-start Mission 4 tonight and hope it does not happen again.

My pace has been 1 mission each session, lasting anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. The game will certainly play a lot faster if you wish, perhaps at half that time, but I've really enjoyed taking my time, grabbing collectables and exploring each scene.

I really am most pleased with this title, my only complaint being file size and having to delete all other games on my headset... something to note with the 64g version.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Pardon the back to back to back posts.

Missions 4 & 5 were tackled last night, and I believe tonight's Mission 6 is the final chapter of the Campaign. It has been a fantastic ride and an incredible step back into gaming after MANY years away... to date myself, I gave up gaming for giant model airplanes when my XBOX 360 got the ring of death. I have not touched a console since.

This game was kinda everything I imagined as a kid that gaming could be. I don't have experience with many titles, but I can't imagine it gets any better than this.

I received new pods today and look forward to trying them this evening. I've done some brief comparison and Beats Fit just smashes all the others out of the water. Sound, fit, function, everything. IMO there is nothing comparable.

Gravastar came in second with great fidelity and battery life, but shockingly lack in any noice cancelling. I did not think lack of this feature would bother me much, but it is really noticeable in performance if you are in a house with kids/noises/etc. I also found the shape of these a little more slippery to handle, even in just pulling them out of the case. Gravastar does have IMO an awesome case, and the case battery provides a whopping 24 hours of use. Its solid metal and the LEDs are a nice touch. I was not a big fan of the touch sensor buttons on these earbuds.

Apple pods were admittedly the most lightweight and smallest form factor with the Gravastar and Beats having rather large cases. The noise cancelling does make Apple a more appealing option for me than the Gravastar, but the Gravastar has much better audio.

If anyone is looking at options, I'd zero in on the Beats Fit and try to find a deal over the holiday.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
The Beats Fit are wireless aren't they? I didn't try any wireless options because I had read there were latency issues with quest 2 and wireless headphones. Of course I should have checked it out on my own before just believing random internet thread :doh:. I have some Jabra 85t buds here that got bought this year and used once because the application I was going to use them for didn't work out. Should have tried them before buying the wired Logitech ones . I'm going to give them a try.

I am enjoying Tetris. A game I never think I want to play and then end up playing for a long time. I got Phantom. It is a FPS that is done seated because you are in a kyak. It's been ok, I'm still trying to better figure out how to use the sniper rifle. I have been able to do it but have had some difficulty lining my hands up right and looking down the scope. I am thinking about getting this accessory Sanlaki Magnetic VR Rifle Gunstock. Superhot is a new pick up for me and is fun. I watched an old episode of Star Trek in a movie theater with Big Screen. I tried playing poker in Poker Stars. This would be fun if I could talk people I know into picking one of these devices up. I ended up at a table with 3 screaming not out of puberty yets, not fun.
I have had the Rift for a long time, I was one of the pre orders, got mine before my company got theirs. I have lots of games there and am starting to explore using air link. I have a good gaming router but think I may upgrade to a wifi 6 during sale time this week. Dirt Rally still gets me car sick. Defense grid was fun if you like Tower Defense. Rift home environments are better and much more interactive than the quest 2 home environments.

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Yeah, the Beats are wireless. I've not noted any lag, but it may be my inexperience.

Finished up Medal of Honor a couple nights ago, the last Missions are a bit abrupt but fun nonetheless. I think it will get some re-play on hard, but considering how much space this game takes up I doubt I will keep it on my console after the next play through.

Not sure what to get excited for next... really tempted to try MarineVerse again, but skeptical as I had trouble loading in my first attempt and eventually had to get a refund. I really wanted to play this game though, maybe its worth trying a final time.

Have any of the AppLab offerings been worthwhile?

In other news, I got my Bobo Pro headset with battery and have just not been able to get on with the fit. For those using Bobo straps, is it possible to get a snug fit? Are you also having to replace the face mask cushion to get a proper fit? I can't keep it on my head when playing Medal, and my movements are not even that abrupt. I am going to try to tinker with the fit a little while longer, but I do not get the same secure feeling I get with my Elite battery straps.

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Steam fall sell is upon us so I completed my Doom collection, I've slammed enough hours into eternal that I should get on to playing the classics. I've been spending a unhealthy amount of time playing Dorfromantik which is a relaxing but super addicting puzzle game.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
My first couple of days with the Bobo didn't go well. It adjusts in three different ways. For me it took several times and sessions to get the adjustment right. Remember that not only does it have hinges but also the two legs that hold the strap on can slide in and out. You'll have to give them a good tug.
When I first got it, and didn't have the adjustments correct, if I jerked around it game then it moved. It was hurting the top of my head. It was crushing my face. Now that the adjustments are correct I can just slip the thing on my head, no pressure, no movement. There are a couple videos on how to adjust it properly. Those helped a little.
BOBO ADJUSTMENT

That being said, after adjustment, mine didn't look like theres. I have more space between the front plastic strap and the visor. They show them close together. I have a larger than normal head, have trouble buying hats. I was able to get this strap comfortable on my head, took a few days. At first I was definitely thinking WTF, really like it now.

HughJundys,
  • Haha
Reactions: LesPlenty

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I haven't played a computer game since ZORK, the early text Multi-User Dungeon (MUD). Well, maybe I've played something here or there throughout the years, but I am a veritable Boomer Newbie - the worst kind.

So I just bought an Oculus Quest: it gets here Wednesday. Shirley, there are cheesy games that I'm capable of playing. There must be games for DLM (Dorks Like Me). I had a subscription to NYT once, and they had VR through a cardboard/phone setup that was truly amazing. I hope this has stuff like that, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom