Fuck the Parkinson's, the Dr just gave me a reason to smoke MORE!

satyrday

Tweek's parody of psychedelia reminds me just how strange things really got in the late 60's. That strangeness even beaming into middle American households and watched by beehive hairdos and horned rim glasses. Compared to TV today, how interesting that this was prime time material in 1968 when I was but a wee sprig.

Crown of Creation

...and yes, Grace Slick is in blackface.

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
^^^Believe it or not I remember that although I was only eight at the time . I thought Gracie was sporting a QT tan not blackface now I could nearly be conflicted when thinking back on my childhood crush ......... Naw never I still love pre "Starship" Grace .

EDIT: Dreamerr why not stick a post it note on your coffee pot that says "today is Saturday" so in the morning you can start on a new day . at least it wasn't 3 Mondays .

Last edited:

Tweek

^^^Believe it or not I remember that although I was only eight at the time . I thought Gracie was sporting a QT tan not blackface now I could nearly be conflicted when thinking back on my childhood crush ......... Naw never I still love pre "Starship" Grace .

EDIT: Dreamerr why not stick a post it note on your coffee pot that says "today is Saturday" so in the morning you can start on a new day . at least it wasn't 3 Mondays .

Looks like she smeared Nutella on her face....baaaad tan. She was still one of the hottest around though.

satyrday

Here's someone's comment on it on youtube:
"Her blackface statement in 1968 was meant as a power salute to the Olympic runners who gave the black power salute, after their victory in the 68 games. Grace meant it as a positive step forward and not a throwback to the Mammy-Gone With the Wind days. Lighten up militant white brothers."

That is very 1968!

So was this:

Mind you, this pre-dated the Beatles rather tame in comparison rooftop concert in London. Yes, that is Rip Torn in the hotel window! Filmed by Jean-Luc Godard for a movie.

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
Grace was quite the phony. My dads college roommate was a lighting engineer in the 60s/70s. He was even on festival express. Anyway, he lit an airplane show where grace was demanding payment before going on even though they weren't supposed to. After the promoter finally relented, she runs on stage yelling "music is free, play on!"

And @RUDE BOY, I like your coffee idea pot. Except I don't drink coffee, so I might just put a permanent sticker on my solo, "today is Friday :)"

grokit

well-worn member
1q9d6735_edit_copy_3_copy_by_hakanphotography-d6m45p6.jpg

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
She is sooooooooooooooooooooo cute. I love that age for an hour of course lol then take them back.

I had my caregiver feed the birds yesterday cause my male cardinal was around looking for food. I get to watch them all come eat today which is always nice until the pigeons show up. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell them k...

satyrday

Grace was quite the phony. My dads college roommate was a lighting engineer in the 60s/70s. He was even on festival express. Anyway, he lit an airplane show where grace was demanding payment before going on even though they weren't supposed to. After the promoter finally relented, she runs on stage yelling "music is free, play on!"

That might help explain how it devolved into this ... a real 80s low point:

"Someone always playing corporation games" ... yeah, lol.

Tweek

That might help explain how it devolved into this ... a real 80s low point:

"Someone always playing corporation games" ... yeah, lol.

Goddamn dice.

That's sound awfully similar to the recipe for stone soup but the key ingredient is curiosity rather than anger.

Interesting. Although carrots, celery, onion and water can be the base for any soup...especially one steeped in anger.

Top Bottom