Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

vapormachina

I dont feel uneasy; in addiction in this device the cover opens relatively frequently so the electronics breathe well. But I think that the idea of isolating that compartment is interesting, not only for safe, also for cleaning. And in an IH I think it can be posible because everything operates separately🤔🤔

vapormachina,
Reactions: TommyDee

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I dont feel uneasy; in addiction in this device the cover opens relatively frequently so the electronics breathe well. But I think that the idea of isolating that compartment is interesting, not only for safe, also for cleaning. And in an IH I think it can be posible because everything operates separately🤔🤔

Thanks for the suggestion, @dantemaniaco . I'll give it some thought for the future.

FWIW, I see my share of these after they've been used for a while, and I need to tell folks, "it's OK to use iso to clean these!" If you notice your heater looks kinda gross, swipe it with some isopropyl alcohol. You won't hurt it.

I made a lot of progress with the first Flite shipment over the weekend, and it's about where I thought it might be by today. I had hoped to begin shipping today, but I will probably hold the first shipments until tomorrow so I can finish up the Quick Start guide tonight. I don't see any roadblocks and am just exercising a bit of caution. I expect to have all of these ready to ship by Wednesday, and will do my best to get them all out by then. I'll be back later today with an update on that effort, and also tell you when I expect to begin taking orders for the next batch.

Thanks for your support and patience! The first batch looks very good so far, and I am very pleased with the way in which it is going together. No issues, and eveything fits as expected. :rockon:

Last edited:

Jethro

100.webp

dcon67

is the 12v dc cigarette lighter cord that I ordered with my flix also compatible with the flite? Same cord?

dcon67,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
is the 12v dc cigarette lighter cord that I ordered with my flix also compatible with the flite? Same cord?

Excellent question, @dcon67 !

They are not compatible
: the Flite and Flux Deluxe use a 2.1mm x 5.5mm tip, the Flix uses a 2.5mm x 5.5mm tip.

There are several reasons why I did this, but the most important is that the Flite is purpose-built to run from 3x 18350 cells. The Flite doesn't have enough capacitance to mitigate the strong in rush of current you would see if you used a mains-powered power source, and there's an increased risk you will fry something on the circuit board.

Also, as @TommyDee keeps pointing out during testing, "automotive 12V" is really 13.8VDC, and this additional voltage asks a lot more of every component. The Flite is built for its dedicated power source. It shouldn't see 13.8V.

Each of my heaters uses a different recipe of components, tailored for the expected power source. The Flix is built with more "reserve capacitance" than the Flite, making it safe to power the Flix from several different power sources.

Thank you for asking!

---------------------------------

Flite "first batch" batch update: it's almost done and on track to start shipping tomorrow. Everything is looking very good. :tup:

I'm a few days behind where I had hoped to be, as I somehow forgot that making the first batch includes a few extra tasks like making jigs and the other "helper" tools I need to build circuit boards in quantity. The next batch should go more quickly.

Speaking of which, I'll have more info on Flite batch #2 near the end of the week. The 24 in this first batch has been a good number to work with, and I think I may offer a similar quantity in batch #2. I'll be back with more once I finish these and actually start shipping them out. I'll have completed the first batch by then and will have a better sense of the entirety of the process.

Thanks for all of your support and positive feedback! I am very happy to finally be building these for people other than me and Tommy. ;)

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@mr_cfromcali Are there any plans for any more flux deluxe or a revised version? I am on the waiting list somewhere but thinking that a flite may be a more realistic option for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for asking, @Eclipse .Yes, I definitely plan on revising the FD. I love it and am still very proud of it...plus, I still have a couple of hundred FD cases in my garage ;) . The revision should incorporate many of the features you see in the Flite: PWM, a smaller battery management system, and a different mix of components. I've started working on FDv2, but most of the interesting stuff is waitng for more of my attention. I am going to be focused on producing the Flite and the Flix for the immediate future, but I'll continue to roll those changes into thge FD, so I won't have to begin the next version from scratch.

Look for more news on this as soon as the plan developes a bit further.

--------------------------------------

BTW, I meant to include this with my last post. These are 25 finished lower (heater) PCBs for Flite Batch #1:

IMG-0678-private.jpg

Sorry for the murky tone.

Next up is completing and mounting the upper (control panel) PCBs, quality testing, and then packing up them for shipment. The Flite is on track to start to shipping out of tomorrow. :tup:

rvarick

Curious if folks do indeed find a use for having more than one IH? I’m contemplating whether once my Flite arrives if I should hang on to my old reliable PSM or not (?). I suppose having a backup and not ever needing to resort to the torch is a plus! It’s also possible the heating profiles can differ, making one better for certain scenarios. Real first-world conundrum I’m having here!

vapormachina

The only situation where I was considering to buy more IHs was if I bought the Orion and I needed something for my dektop, the Indy or similar.

I think that in dynavap they are not aware of the fail they did with the non interchangeable batteries. In a few months when people have not more than 20 or 30 clicks in their Orions and start to complain we'll see..

Zoltani

The only situation where I was considering to buy more IHs was if I bought the Orion and I needed something for my dektop, the Indy or similar.

I think that in dynavap they are not aware of the fail they did with the non interchangeable batteries. In a few months when people have not more than 20 or 30 clicks in their Orions and start to complain we'll see..

Yeah, the lack of interchangeable batteries was a deal killer for me on the orion. I want to be able to carry spares so that I could take it for a few days camping without having to worry with solar power banks and such.

I have a flowerpot for home use, but don't always want to pull out the heavy hitter during the day, so when the flix goes back in stock I might have to pick one up.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hopefully @mr_cfromcali is able to get the Flite out for shipping today. Just excited to receive the cas blue that I ordered!

I'm tryin' @DHV8654 . :wave:

Making two dozen in a batch for first time vs. making individual units is very revealing. I made steady progress through the batch's early build stages, but assembling and installing the control panel PCBs - and troubleshooting a few issues that have come up - has slowed me to a crawl. This part of the process is taking more time that I had expected. I'm sorry. I'll get quicker and figure out some better workflows as I make more of these, but for now I am still a student of the process.

I have completed the internals for a baker's dozen of Flite so far. It's a tight build.

IMG-0683-private.jpg

These are tested and ready to be put into cases. The remaining dozen are in line for control panel PCBs, final assembly, and testing. My pace is improving but it's still slow progress. Given that today is Christmas Eve and I still have a lot left to do before I can push these out the door, I don't think I will have these ready to ship today. I'm sorry, and I'm sorry I didn't set more realistic expectations for this first batch.

I will continue to work on these today and tomorrow - it's a quiet holiday around here - and am looking at Saturday to start shipping. Again, sorry this has slipped, but I'm learning a lot as I do this.

A couple of other updates:

I placed an order for another 200 Flite cases. The Chinese New Year holiday dominates the February calendar and causes a lot of logistical disruptions, so it's important to be aware of it and work around it. For me, this means getting the order in now, even though 90% of my original order is still unsold. These may arrive in late January, or I may not see them until March, but I needed to start this now. I'll let you know what happens.

I also received the bulk of my PCB order, so I have plenty of those on hand, too. The parts are here - or on their way - so it's on me to put them together. I'll be back with another progress report later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for your support and enthusiasm for these heaters!

Happy Holidays!

:leaf:

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I'm tryin' @DHV8654 . :wave:

Making two dozen in a batch for first time vs. making individual units is very revealing. I made steady progress through the batch's early build stages, but assembling and installing the control panel PCBs - and troubleshooting a few issues that have come up - has slowed me to a crawl. This part of the process is taking more time that I had expected. I'm sorry. I'll get quicker and figure out some better workflows as I make more of these, but for now I am still a student of the process.

I have completed the internals for a baker's dozen of Flite so far. It's a tight build.

IMG-0683-private.jpg

These are tested and ready to be put into cases. The remaining dozen are in line for control panel PCBs, final assembly, and testing. My pace is improving but it's still slow progress. Given that today is Christmas Eve and I still have a lot left to do before I can push these out the door, I don't think I will have these ready to ship today. I'm sorry, and I'm sorry I didn't set more realistic expectations for this first batch.

I will continue to work on these today and tomorrow - it's a quiet holiday around here - and am looking at Saturday to start shipping. Again, sorry this has slipped, but I'm learning a lot as I do this.

A couple of other updates:

I placed an order for another 200 Flite cases. The Chinese New Year holiday dominates the February calendar and causes a lot of logistical disruptions, so it's important to be aware of it and work around it. For me, this means getting the order in now, even though 90% of my original order is still unsold. These may arrive in late January, or I may not see them until March, but I needed to start this now. I'll let you know what happens.

I also received the bulk of my PCB order, so I have plenty of those on hand, too. The parts are here - or on their way - so it's on me to put them together. I'll be back with another progress report later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for your support and enthusiasm for these heaters!

Happy Holidays!

:leaf:
Take all the time you need to build theses Flite, even if you could ship them today I don't think they would reach us any faster since it's Christmas. I thought only Santa Claus worked on Christmas, are you Santa? 🎅

NexVision

Take all the time you need to build theses Flite, even if you could ship them today I don't think they would reach us any faster since it's Christmas. I thought only Santa Claus worked on Christmas, are you Santa? 🎅
100000% agree do what you need to maintain your comfort levels. We have happily waited this long another few days wont matter.

Texus

Give yourself a good break and pat on the back. Speaking for myself (and probably in terms of eventual delivery date), no big difference if it goes out today or Monday. Don't shortcut great holiday moments and celebration or just some durn deserved downtime on our account.

Jethro

To be honest Jeff, you may be better off having to ship later, the USPS is a real mess right now. They are overwhelmed by covid and Christmas with unprecedented delays and terrible performance reviews. What I don't understand is why the other major shippers are killing it this year but the USPS is failing. Oh well.

Anyway, no rush, make them right cause I'm gonna use mine HARD, can't wait! I mean, I can wait... take all the time you need, its Christmas bud! Enjoy a little!

Vaporware

To be honest Jeff, you may be better off having to ship later, the USPS is a real mess right now. They are overwhelmed by covid and Christmas with unprecedented delays and terrible performance reviews. What I don't understand is why the other major shippers are killing it this year but the USPS is failing. Oh well.

Anyway, no rush, make them right cause I'm gonna use mine HARD, can't wait! I mean, I can wait... take all the time you need, its Christmas bud! Enjoy a little!

There are a lot of people in our government (and in charge of the USPS right now) who want to see it fail and leave us all stuck paying a lot more to fedex/ups/etc.

I’m mad that this has screwed up multiple packages for me this year, but I’m going to continue to support the USPS through these rough times and hope we can get rid of the rot before too many people give up on them.

dejoy is likely to be running it for at least the next couple of years though, so while the holiday packages won’t be here much longer it’s probably not going to get back to normal any time soon... :disgust:

Top Bottom