Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

rvarick

Thanks to all who are still following this thread for your continued interest in my heaters! :love:

I am sure some people wonder why I haven’t revved Fluxer back up yet, and the short answer is that the business conditions for operating a cannabis-adjacent business like Fluxer just sucked back in March and April. I had become very frustrated with my payment processing issues, international shipping issues, and the beginning of the global supply chain crisis.
:\
I wasn't enjoying any of it, so it was time for me to take a break.

The good news (at least from my perspective) is that I feel much less frustrated about these things now, and I do intend to make some more Fluxer heaters in the future, details to follow. I still have some important things I need to work out, including a new payment processor, but I'm working on those now. I should have more details to share before the end of the month.

Thank you all for your support and goodwill. I truly appreciate it. :love:

:wave:

Cheers,
:leaf:
Thanks for the positive update! I wanted to ask if you were thinking ahead yet (and would be willing to share) which Fluxer heater(s) you may be potentially bringing back into production? Will it be the Flite, the Deluxe, and/or the Flix (or something new altogether)?

Also, did the USPS recently issuing their final rule re: PACT complicate things further? Really hoping to see Fluxer heaters popping up again (and hopefully snagging a Flix to go along with my trusty Flite)!

Jethro

Thanks to all who are still following this thread for your continued interest in my heaters! :love:

I am sure some people wonder why I haven’t revved Fluxer back up yet, and the short answer is that the business conditions for operating a cannabis-adjacent business like Fluxer just sucked back in March and April. I had become very frustrated with my payment processing issues, international shipping issues, and the beginning of the global supply chain crisis.
:\
I wasn't enjoying any of it, so it was time for me to take a break.

The good news (at least from my perspective) is that I feel much less frustrated about these things now, and I do intend to make some more Fluxer heaters in the future, details to follow. I still have some important things I need to work out, including a new payment processor, but I'm working on those now. I should have more details to share before the end of the month.

Thank you all for your support and goodwill. I truly appreciate it. :love:

:wave:

Cheers,
:leaf:

Dude!! What are you making me I can buy myself for Christmas!?!?!

Just checking in to say I'm still rocking my holy trinity of Flux devices and I use them pretty much (insert Boston Accent here) wicked fuckin' haaard! They are rock solid, my man from Cali! Hope you been good.
Cheers yourself!

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
@mr_cfromcali Hi!, hope you're doing well!, I don't know how to send a message to a user directly, but I sent you an email about my flite if you could check it out, thanks in advance!!
If you tap on the @mrc.... from your message just click start a conversation. Hmm, not sure if you need a certain post count for it. Anyway, as soon as he sees you're reaching out for him I'm sure he'll respond.

acstorfer,
Reactions: Crimi

N0BI

Title Error
So I got myself a secondhand Flix V1 over here in germany and with it came a 12V adapter.
If I understand correctly I can use a 8V adapter instead to heat much slower is that right?
With the 12V one it takes about 5 seconds for the first click and I would prefer something more in the range of 15.
If you know which power supply to use or have any other tips I would really appreciate it!

N0BI,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@N0BI : Use some caution with the Flix v1 and low voltage - it doesn't have as much capacitance as the Flix v2, so you don't have as much margin for low voltage operation as the Flix v2. For longer life, I recommend not going below 9V on the Flix v1, and also not exceeding 10 seconds of continuous heating time on that model.

Thanks for the assistance, @TommyDee !

N0BI

Title Error
Would going down to 9V lenghten the heating time by a good margin or what can I expect?
Can you give me a reference on what power supply to use cause I am a noob and have no idea which one I should choose to not kill the Flix or myself. 😁The heating time of the 12V 10A adapter feels just a little too fast for me.

edit: Im dumb I didnt see that TommyDee already told me about the premier option. Thing is I am in Germany and I cant even really find that thing on the web so sadly this doesn't help much.
How many A should a 9V power supply have for this kind of operation?

Last edited:
N0BI,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Would going down to 9V lenghten the heating time by a good margin or what can I expect?

Yes, it will lengthen the heating time but the power applied will be less. Honestly, for the Flix v1, I don't recommend exceeding a max heating time of about 10 seconds. You should be fine at 9 volts, even if it goes a few seconds past that. Avoid running it on such low voltage that it can barely sustain itself. That sort of operation will burn up the MOSFETs on the v1.

Can you give me a reference on what power supply to use cause I am a noob and have no idea which one I should choose to not kill the Flix or myself. 😁The heating time of the 12V 10A adapter feels just a little too fast for me.

Before I get to the power requirements, I need to say that my heaters are very analog in their design, and rely on the physical proximity of the coil to the vapcap tip to determine the heating profile. Changing the coil size by 1mm and/or moving the coil up or down 1-2mm makes a big difference in performance.

Here's a link to the Flix User Guide, which includes instructions for adjusting the coil. The distance between the bottom loop of the coil and the tip of the vapcap is a critical dimension on my heaters:
  • The bigger the gap between the bottom coil loop and the tip, the longer it takes the tip to click (and the hotter the material inside will be when it does click)
  • The smaller this gap between the bottom loop of the coil and the tip, the quicker the heater will click, and the cooler the contents inside will be, relative to a longer heating time
edit: Im dumb I didnt see that TommyDee already told me about the premier option. Thing is I am in Germany and I cant even really find that thing on the web so sadly this doesn't help much.
How many A should a 9V power supply have for this kind of operation?

8A should be sufficient at 9V. Good luck w/it - I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Last edited:

Prophecy

Use some caution with the Flix v1 and low voltage - it doesn't have as much capacitance as the Flix v2, so you don't have as much margin for low voltage operation as the Flix v2. For longer life, I recommend not going below 9V on the Flix v1, and also not exceeding 10 seconds of continuous heating time on that model.

I often use my Flix v1 with the variable voltage power supply on 8V and so far no problems, but my first unit has failed on the MOSFETs, shortly after arriving.

Then i got a replacement, but this time with other MOSFETs should I be concerned in the future when using the Flix with 8V or are the new MOSFETs no longer affected by it?

Prophecy,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi @Prophecy , for better reliability, I now think Flix v1 users should stay above 9V, as I explained above.

Flix v1 used the same capacitors as the Flux Deluxe. These capacitors proved to be too small for very low voltage use. It’s primarily these capacitors that limit the low voltage range of the Flix v1, not the MOSFETs.

Flix v2 uses larger capacitors than Flix v1, and these larger capacitors provide more electrical “cushion” for low voltage operation.

You can identify the version of you Flix by switch at the bottom of the coil. If your Flix has a cap-as-switch, it is a v2. If it has a tactile switch, it is a v1.

Last edited:

Prophecy

Hi @Prophecy , for better reliability, I now think Flix v1 users should stay above 9V, as I explained above.

Flix v1 used the same capacitors as the Flux Deluxe. These capacitors proved to be too small for very low voltage use. It’s primarily these capacitors that limit the low voltage range of the Flix v1, not the MOSFETs.

Flix v2 uses larger capacitors than Flix v1, and these larger capacitors provide more electrical “cushion” for low voltage operation.

You can identify the version of you Flix by switch at the bottom of the coil. If your Flix has a cap-as-switch, it is a v2. If it has a tactile switch, it is a v1.

Thank you for the answer @mr_cfromcali my Flix has the tactical switch, but only to get completely sure, here are pictures of the original PCB that failed and from the replaced the only difference I can see that on the old one there 2 of this black things where on the replacement only there are one.

So with this PCB I should better not go unter the 9V range?

This is the replaced PCB

This is the defective PCB

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi @Prophecy , thanks a lot for posting the pics, I can confirm that you have a v1.x version of the Flix PCB. For better reliability, I would recommend using it with 9V - 12V.

The 2.x versions can be identified by the cap-as-switch mechanism; if you have it apart, the version number is printed on the PCB, near the heating coil. In addition to the larger capacitors I mentioned before, v2.x also has some improvements to the component layout that make it more stable and capable than v1. V2 also supports an optional PWM module, which v1.x is not able to do.

Thanks again for your support. I hope your replacement PCB continues to work well for you! :tup:

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
Last month I was getting some work on my Flite done, thank you @mr_cfromcali . While it was gone I figured I would gravitate to my other IHs. I did not. After two or three heats I was coughing like I was gonna die. I went back to the torch. I forgot how good the torch is. Of course with my Flite back hopefully I will never have to be reminded because I love my flite!

Being able to make adjustments between heat ups is the tits! The tits I say!

jabba

Tits indeed. It seems obvious, however, IH chamber adjustability is essential to a quality IH experience. It is almost neglectful that the Rover, Apollo, and Orion all fail at this most basic feature leaving the user stuck with one heat signature.
Last month I was getting some work on my Flite done, thank you @mr_cfromcali . While it was gone I figured I would gravitate to my other IHs. I did not. After two or three heats I was coughing like I was gonna die. I went back to the torch. I forgot how good the torch is. Of course with my Flite back hopefully I will never have to be reminded because I love my flite!

Being able to make adjustments between heat ups is the tits! The tits I say!

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
Tits indeed. It seems obvious, however, IH chamber adjustability is essential to a quality IH experience. It is almost neglectful that the Rover, Apollo, and Orion all fail at this most basic feature leaving the user stuck with one heat signature.
Another big problem is (as far as I know) they are basically disposable, unless they do have access to the battery.

testymctest

Thank you for confirming this information @DarkBidding - You have PWM down very well with the chicken analogy. As to how the PWM is working; the blink rate is the PWM - it is a very-very-very-very slow PWM obviously. Jeff has made sure you can dial out most of the heating if you want, where the 300/0 and 0/300 is the range. Not sure if there is a little at the ends but the idea is that you can get more pause than heat if you want.

The coil size has more to do with the power of your oven for the chicken. You can burn it in 10 minutes or 6 minutes. Basically, a 15mm coil is aggressive at full power and a 17mm coil is very is more forgiving and never delivers the intense heat a 15mm coil can. You can look at it as being the max power capability. I can see concentrate users liking 15mm coils but they do pull a bit more current. Basically, this is the motor in your car; hot rod [15mm], utility [16mm], or daily commuter [17mm].

The first adjustment is user selectable. The second is the user's choice. The third is bake time and this is important to understand about vapcaps - The clicker is a 'delay'. The caps gets hot -shares the heat with the tip [chamber] and then it lets the heat migrate slowly to the clicker. And it decides to finally tell you - "hey man, your loads done - It think - maybe"... Everything important has happened already. So what do you think will happened when you have a hyper-heater? Let's see; the cap is heating excessively - the rate of thermal conduction to the tip is slower than the heat transfer to the clicker - The clicker clicks and the tip [chamber] isn't even heat-soaked yet. Put a Ti tip in there and poof, combustion as more heat made it through the walls of the tip. That is what happened to Orion V1. It was so fast that the clicker clicked and the bake was still in progress or the heat was simply too intense. Every cap combination is very different in the vaping experience.

So I have given up on fast bakes and say an 8-10 second bake is a consistent bake in many IHs. Go 15 seconds and you get even better quality vape. This is exactly about heat soaking. Bringing everything up to temp about the same time and the clicker clicks when everything is right. This is the 3rd adjustment - how deep is the cap in the coil. In these small coils, this adjustment is mere millimeters. You want the actual heat to travel to the clicker, not the IH heating the flat end of the cap. Since the focus of the energy is centered in the coil [spherical, not axial] the tip area of the cap gets the most energy, maybe slightly below tip-center. Now the only way for the clicker to get hot is to allow the heat to travel along the body of the cap and eventually click. The beauty of all this is that most regular caps will click at about the same bake. This was a welcome surprise. The combination of reducing the overall power and tuning the depth of the cap made for highly reliable bakes and consistent bakes between caps.

Notice that I am not mixing PWM in with the basic elements of induction heating. It really isn't necessary if you have a fairly straight forward use-case. For the most part, it is a very reliable heart-beat to count by. But the PWM does tame a 15mm heater or do some fine flavor pulls with a 17mm coil, or anything in between. PWM becomes the fine tune lacking in all other heaters.

On an aside, the power an IH pulls is a great indicator of how it is operating. I like to limit my IH to 70 watts. I find that 80+ watts tends to put a lot of reclaim on the walls of my wooden stems. Even with PWM, the heat spikes this higher temperature into the caps as well. This is the difference between a true PWM which regulates digitally vs. this 'delay' that a Fluxer PWM instills. There are some guidelines as to which coil option may work best for a user that knows their style of vaping. I'm a heavy hitter but I still prefer a bit of PWM - 80%-ON and a power level of around 70 watts on a 16mm coil. I tune for George's take on VapCaps - cook once - cool to click - cook again and draw like heck. Okay, so I also take a draw on the first heating which is sanctioned by George but this method does highlight one thing - if you don't want to combust, ever, if you are paying attention - the first bake should never 'rip'... the second should. If you tune the ingress depth of your cap in the IH based on this second heating to whatever edge you want AT THE CLICK, you will find that all your caps will behave similarly. And this is fucking awesome! I have 5 tips and caps and I can cycle them all without worry of combustion. Each one will draw at the click and each one will deliver heaven on the second draw. The first is no slouch either - flavor and vape should be coming through if you are normally a hard hitter.

There is a lot there so let me know where and if I lost you.
i have a quick maybe dumb question re your comment on 70-80 watt range you use, if using a variable voltage 12.6v 10amp with my flix2 what voltage would i have to set it to to be at 70 watts? no electrical background here...
thanks

testymctest,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@testymctest - You would need a current meter (ammeter) to see how much current is drawn at what voltage. I use a power supply that also has a watts meter. Watts is voltage times current. So you can read the voltage and current and come up with watts by multiplying them together.

With Flix, like most IHs, more voltage will cause the IH to draw more current.

I like 60-70 watts personally. 80 watts is a little too fast for me. Caps are more consistent 'to the click' at the gentler heating cycles. What I know about Fluxer heaters, you can probably turn the VVPS down to 10V and have a great session.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Hey there fellow FC’ers - hoping one of you can help me.

I own one of the original Fluxes- that at some point @mr_cfromcali sent us glass to put on the push down mechanism, which I vaguely remember putting in place.

However, that glass barrier (where the VC rests while heating) disappeared at some point, which I have been ignoring for months.
I hate the mark it leaves on top of the cap and I think it was may actually be a safety issue without it.

Anyone know what would work to replace it?
I happen to have some spare glass honeycomb screens at 9.7ish mm. Will that work?
What kind of adhesive do I use?

Thanks for any help you can offer up!

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Hey there fellow FC’ers - hoping one of you can help me.

I own one of the original Fluxes- that at some point @mr_cfromcali sent us glass to put on the push down mechanism, which I vaguely remember putting in place.

However, that glass barrier (where the VC rests while heating) disappeared at some point, which I have been ignoring for months.
I hate the mark it leaves on top of the cap and I think it was may actually be a safety issue without it.

Anyone know what would work to replace it?
I happen to have some spare glass honeycomb screens at 9.7ish mm. Will that work?
What kind of adhesive do I use?

Thanks for any help you can offer up!

Jill I’ve been down this path. Jeff has admitted the “glass button” was a weakness in his design. I successfully re-glued my button when it first came off, it was NOT easy. The 2nd time, one or two extra drops of glue, and it seeps down into the switch and it’s RUINED. I sent mine in to Jeff and let him do it, I hope it lasts. You could get some various thicknesses of silicone, and cut out some circles. This will keep you cap off the actual switch. I use a thin piece on top of my glass button, to vary the click times. And while you can probably find a glass button, I would NOT recommend doing the glue job, it’s too easy to ruin the switch, then you have a non working unit.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Jill I’ve been down this path. Jeff has admitted the “glass button” was a weakness in his design. I successfully re-glued my button when it first came off, it was NOT easy. The 2nd time, one or two extra drops of glue, and it seeps down into the switch and it’s RUINED. I sent mine in to Jeff and let him do it, I hope it lasts. You could get some various thicknesses of silicone, and cut out some circles. This will keep you cap off the actual switch. I use a thin piece on top of my glass button, to vary the click times. And while you can probably find a glass button, I would NOT recommend doing the glue job, it’s too easy to ruin the switch, then you have a non working unit.
Thanks for the info. Shoot. I am definitely steering clear of glue.

Can you give me a better idea of what kind of silicone would work? I am not even sure how to search for it to buy.

So is there really any harm (other than aesthetically) not having something in top of it?

Jill NYC,
Top Bottom