Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

Aos3327

Thank you, @DHV8654 ! I am very happy you like it! :D Seeing this being used and especially enjoyed is a big part of my reward for doing this, and it is gratifying to finally see that happening. :D

A few stray thoughts about the Flite that I want to share before they wander off:
  • I should have been more vocal about the extra time the first batch would require, as it would have relieved some pressure. There were a lot of small details I either hadn't worked out or needed to revisit when I started making these in quantity. It was necessary, but lesson learned. I do believe future Flite batches will go more quickly now that I've settled on my construction methods.
  • Just within the first batch, the heaters became easier for me for build as I went along. That's honestly a good sign, and indicates we have a very solid design here, The FD, in comparison, is still a bear to build...:rolleyes:
  • My immediate plans for today are to fulfill some parts orders, complete some repairs that came in while I was finishing up the Flite, and correct a Flite order I got wrong. That's today's agenda.
  • I have a couple "other" Flite that I need to build for folks that were part of batch #1 but not part of the initial 24 for one reason or another. I'll be building those today or tonight, as time permits. If this sounds like your situation and we have already exchanged email about this, I'll be in touch soon about your Flite. :tup:
  • Flite batch #2: At the moment I am looking at this putting these up for sale Wednesday, day after tomorrow. I will confirm that in this thread tomorrow, as I still need to do a parts inventory and make sure I have enough of the necessary components on hand. I'll also pick a time that's more friendly to other time zones. ;)
OK, back to the shop for now.

Cheers! :)
Are all the colors available for batch 2?

Aos3327,
Reactions: TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@Zoltani - I am referring to DV - George's method of forced cooling directly to the magnet. This forces the cool down click to happened faster but maintain a lot of heat in the tip and chamber itself. The idea is to sustain the heat you have already built up in the bowl and you are adding the heat of ~2/3 of a cycle. The second load will have a lot more heat stored and the short time delay had given the herb a chance to 'exasperate' so to speak.

If you have the heater dialed for a larger draw on the first heating from cold, you do want to give the tip a chance to loose some of its grunt.

I think that is the big difference between a safe tune and a hot tune. I don't combust in Flite. My tune is not a slouch either. I can easily 'camp' on the switch and it won't kill my first heating but it will take away from the second. George knows something he's not sharing but the technique is awesome.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Are all the colors available for batch 2?

At the moment...yes.

These are five colors I have in large quantities: Black, Gun Metal, Dark Green, Blue, and Red. I have more than 35 of each of these colors remaining.

These are the colors I have in limited quantity: Gold (2), Hunter Green (the darkest green; 4), Light Green (3) . These colors are limited because they were the remaining cases in this size that my vendor had on hand, and no more are available at the moment.

I am trying to get more Hunter Green cases made for my second case order, as I know it's a popular choice. If there's another color people want me to try to include in that order, talk to me. My minimum order quantity for a color is 30 pieces. Purple (I only wish their hue was deeper), orange, and raw are the other colors I've used for other models. Let me know in the comments if there's another color you want me to try to include. Thanks!

Aos3327

At the moment...yes.

These are five colors I have in large quantities: Black, Gun Metal, Dark Green, Blue, and Red. I have more than 35 of each of these colors remaining.

These are the colors I have in limited quantity: Gold (2), Hunter Green (the darkest green; 4), Light Green (3) . These colors are limited because they were the remaining cases in this size that my vendor had on hand, and no more are available at the moment.

I am trying to get more Hunter Green cases made for my second case order, as I know it's a popular choice. If there's another color people want me to try to include in that order, talk to me. My minimum order quantity for a color is 30 pieces. Purple (I only wish their hue was deeper), orange, and raw are the other colors I've used for other models. Let me know in the comments if there's another color you want me to try to include. Thanks!
I’m usually the one to stick to I conspicuous so gun metal or black for me if I got to choose. Illegal state and all.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Can you clarify this? Are you saying it is possible to charge with an adapter?
All the car adapter needs is a dc-dc converter to assure proper voltage. I use this little digital charger at a 20 watt charge rate and it charges Flite in about 45 minutes from fully depleted. The thing is less than $10 and is a boost/buck converter.

20201219_002056 (1).jpg
Meter is reading a 10+WH charge in 38:nn minutes.
These cells hold about 11 usable watt hours [WH] in Flite if you push them.

Don't overlook the convenience of replacing cells in the middle of the day though. It might be easier to just carry a couple of battery cases.

But that is not to say that something this easy wouldn't also work...
...and plug in the included charger.
I wouldn't buy anything like this from Walmart and I have one that is much more suited for the job, but these AC inverters do work fine in a pinch.

Last edited:
All the car adapter needs is a dc-dc converter to assure proper voltage. I use this little digital charger at a 20 watt charge rate and it charges Flite in about 45 minutes from fully depleted. The thing is less than $10 and is a boost/buck converter.

View attachment 4958
Meter is reading a 10+WH charge in 38:nn minutes.
These cells hold about 11 usable watt hours [WH] in Flite if you push them.

Don't overlook the convenience of replacing cells in the middle of the day though. It might be easier to just carry a couple of battery cases.

But that is not to say that something this easy wouldn't also work...
...and plug in the included charger.
I wouldn't buy anything like this from Walmart and I have one that is much more suited for the job, but these AC inverters do work fine in a pinch.
Spare batteries for the win...

Texus

At the moment...yes.

Yes, I know I've already bought mine (in Gold that should arrive tomorrow!!!!), but Ill mention that I love the look of raw on the Flix. And I'd have gotten that if an option on Flite or if I bought Flix instead of Flite.

Hey guys :) keen on the second drop, was just wondering if the flix is likely to restock at the same time, will it be likely that I'll be able to order both the flix and flite in one order on this second drop? cheers! :)

vapormachina

+1 I like that raw color. It is a very convenient option to hide scratches and imperfections, for those who use the IH outdoors or when doing sports. I honestly think that even if it had been available I would have chosen the same black (I really love the elegance of this color), but I like a Flite in raw to go out there, maybe in my Flite V2:razz:

BawlmerMerlin

I actually experienced a very rare triumph at the hands of the USPS today. Not only did my Flite arrive on the promised date, it was on my doorstep at 8:03 AM EST! Completely unheard of in these parts of late. Mr. C. must know somebody or something the rest of us do not. Hoping Jethro's unit also arrives first thing tomorrow morning!

Anyway, my hunter green CaS Flite (with "bling" vent holes) is a beauty to behold, and even more impressive in action. I haven't ventured into the world of PWM just yet, but initial impression is that it can hold its own easily among the FD and Flix. Using a Simrell Ti Vortex with Ti tip and low temp. cap, all is well in my world.

Big Thanks to our Maker!

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Hey guys :) keen on the second drop, was just wondering if the flix is likely to restock at the same time, will it be likely that I'll be able to order both the flix and flite in one order on this second drop? cheers! :)
I'd suggest a PM to @mr_cfromcali and see if you can coordinate.

@Zoltani - that 11 sessions is right where it should be. Thanks for the confirmation.

USPS is all over the fucking place these days. My priority package from my sister arrived a day after Christmas almost a week late and my normal 1st class submissions all make it to their destination in record time, usually 3 days or less. Then I see certain facilities get bogged down and everything from San Fran, for instance, is stalled by a day or two. The system got a political and pandemic shock - its still settling into its own new norm.

Last edited:

Zoltani

@TommyDee I averaged 4 clicks a session, and if I ran it a bit hotter I think I could get more sessions with less clicks per session. I tried to turn off between sessions to conserve battery. I often let the tip cool down completely, which I am sure increased the number of clicks per session. I have found with this '18 cap if I dip it too quick after the cool down I can combust. You mention cooling to the cool down click on a magnet, but I have always hit it until it clicks, and often cigar puff after the cool down click for flavor.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thank you again @Zoltani for you diligence. I really do appreciate the confirmation.

Here is the data for the math -
150mwh to the click
as little as 450mwh for a rapid extraction session
5 clicks @ 150mwh is 750mwh - camping on the click is additive. Calling a session 1WH.
Usable battery capacity 3S - 10WH comfortably, 11WH pushing it. I push mine past 10WH regularly for over 3 months now.
I've tested this math over and over again since this is my daily routine.
This is why I am confident that both Jeff and I could stand behind 10 sessions or better as a spec.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
What is the timeline looking like for the Flix becoming available again in the store?

Hi @lemonSkunkie and @slowandsteady , thanks for your interest! I'll be making more Flix very soon, although I'm going to stay focused on the Flite for at least one more batch.

But since you asked... :brow: ... the Flix v2 project is almost done, as I've been updating it in parallel with the work we've been doing on the Flite.

Flix v2 addresses a few issues with the current model:
  • it ditches the tactile switch and adopts the Flite's cap-as-switch mechanism, which should make some frustrated Flix owners happy
  • it uses a milder capacitor/inductor configuration, which is its own and very different from Flite's. Flix v2 has better tolerance for the sorts of electrical current "inrush" events that it is likely to see from a mains-powered adapter. It should stand up to the sort of common electrical trauma that routinely killed the earliest versions of Flix v1.x. :rip:
  • the new configuration is less aggressive, and on average increases the heating time by 2-4 seconds per click
  • it brings over circuit improvements introduced in the Flite: new MOSFETs, a better thermal fuse, better circuit paths, and a number of other small, parts-level changes we made with the Flite
  • it will support an optional PWM module! This module will be functionally similar to the Flite's, but it will look a bit different and use different controls. The final PWM PCB is still in progress, but the current test circuit works extremely well, so this is just about packaging the circuit to best fit the space. I expect to wrap this up within 2-3 weeks (and perhaps sooner if this week's set of PWM PCBs work properly).
The Flix v2 has more components and does more with them, so unfortunately I do expect its price to rise slightly over v1. I'll have more price and configuration details once I finalize the PWM module.

Here are a few pics of the Flix v2 PCB:

IMG-0753-private.jpg

It looks largely the same, but almost every significant detail has been studied and revised to be better. To point to just one small example: the bottom MOSFET in the above picture, imediately to the left of the LED connections, has been rotated 90° CCW to create a better electrical pathway. There are a number of other similarly small changes.

This is a view of the Flix v2's cap-as-switch contacts; the silicone bumpers may change a little:

IMG-0756-private.jpg

Obviously, I'll have a lot more info to share once it's ready to go, but at this point the development for Flix v2 is done, and the Flix PWM module should also be done soon as well. If you remember my effort to push the Flite out the door, Flix v2 will need some similar things - a new video, updated web pages, and time for me to build them. So the formal announcements are still a few weeks away, but this is what's coming. It is consistent w/the original but it also improves the things that needed work while also adding some new and fun functionality.

OK, I have a few emails to answer, then I need to head down to the shop to do some stuff. I'll be back in a few hours with the exact info on when I'll e listing the next batch of Flite tomorrow.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Jethro

The system got a political and pandemic shock - its still settling into its own new norm.
Yup, and I totally understand that, you can't blame the USPS for pandemic delays, but what I don't understand is why all the other shippers absolutely KILLED it this holiday season? Fed Ex and UPS managed to step up to the plate and deliver as good or better than they ever have. Whatever.

And here I am upset that I'm not going home to my new Flite- such a travesty! Can you guys imagine I have to resort to using the lowly Flix tonight? And if I need to get up and move around wireless, my Flux Deluxe? Absolute horseshit:lol:

Very first world problems. Maybe 1/2 a world problem.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Yup, and I totally understand that, you can't blame the USPS for pandemic delays, but what I don't understand is why all the other shippers absolutely KILLED it this holiday season? Fed Ex and UPS managed to step up to the plate and deliver as good or better than they ever have. Whatever.

And here I am upset that I'm not going home to my new Flite- such a travesty! Can you guys imagine I have to resort to using the lowly Flix tonight? And if I need to get up and move around wireless, my Flux Deluxe? Absolute horseshit:lol:

Unfortunately it may have to bounce around in their system a bit before we can step in to intercept it. I know you'll be keeping an eye on it, so please let me know if it hasn't found its way to you by Thursday. It's insured and I can make you another if necessary, but in almost every case so far, these have resurfaced, typically within 2-3 days. Sorry. :( It may be a first world problem, but it's still no fun.

badbee

@mr_cfromcali , what is that component in the lower center of the board with the chunk of red insulator over one lead? I would love to see the circuit diagram for this thing if you don't consider it proprietary (which would be perfectly reasonable).

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@mr_cfromcali , what is that component in the lower center of the board with the chunk of red insulator over one lead? I would love to see the circuit diagram for this thing if you don't consider it proprietary (which would be perfectly reasonable).

That's the 5mm red/blue bi-color LED. It's a common anode LED, so it has one positive lead (shared by both colors) and two negative leads, so each side can light independently

Thanks very much for your interest, @badbee , but yes, the circuit is my intellectual property and unfortunately it isn't something I can share. I'm sorry.

Vaporware

I’ve never really tried to measure how many clicks I get from the FD; can anyone tell me how it compares to the Flite? I know it’s mostly math, but I’m not sure I have all of the right numbers...

I‘ve seen a couple of people say 150+ clicks, but the math doesn’t seem to add up and unless my light’s eating through a lot of battery while it’s on and idle I don’t think I’m close to that.

The USPS suffered budget cuts, bad leadership (which probably will continue for years now) and not enough workers to get the job done while the other companies were able to hire the people they needed.

A lot of people in our government have been trying to hurt the USPS for a long time, and they’ve done a pretty good job at it this year...look back at the history of legislating a requirement for crazy amounts of future funding for their pension program, removal of and fights against postal banking (which would help the poor and the postal service), etc. to see previous efforts to hurt the system.

Under normal circumstances the USPS has done at least as well or better for me than the other services at a fraction of the price, but this year...

Since I don’t want to end up permanently at the mercy of UPS and FedEx, I’m trying to stay positive about the USPS and make sure people understand what’s going on so hopefully you guys will continue to support them too (and hopefully oppose the people who are throwing a wrench into the system).

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I’ve never really tried to measure how many clicks I get from the FD; can anyone tell me how it compares to the Flite? I know it’s mostly math, but I’m not sure I have all of the right numbers...

I‘ve seen a couple of people say 150+ clicks, but the math doesn’t seem to add up and unless my light’s eating through a lot of battery while it’s on and idle I don’t think I’m close to that.

Number of clicks is highly variable and depends on your batteries, your coil size and position, your cap, your stem, and other environmental factors.

Some time ago, shortly after I introduced the FD, I sent one to YouTube blogger/review Wavy Vapes for him to check out and review (a real nice guy, fwiw). He posted a review, and among other things in the review, he discussed getting 150 clicks from a single charge. Even I was impressed, and obviously, "your individual results may vary." I think 100+ clicks from a full charge is more typical. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom