• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Flower Mill

Ripstar

Anyway......My Flowermill is still destroying buds in the best way possible. Depending on bud humidity and size, different pressure is necessary. Hardly a "learning curve" if you have ever once used a grinder. My only complaint would be I am too forgetful about which grinder I am picking up and can't remember how easy the top comes off... user error indeed.

PossumMD

Hey all, so have had my flower mill for a little bit now, and have done a few "mills", but I'm usually left with a thin piece of weed left between the two plates. And it tends to take a fair few turns to get to that point... I do like that it holds so much (hence why I've only done a few uses in the fortnight I've had it), and it is very easy to turn it. Just, yeah, I thought itd take less turns and not have any unground bud. Am I doing something wrong? That's usually why I get different results.

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
Hey all, so have had my flower mill for a little bit now, and have done a few "mills", but I'm usually left with a thin piece of weed left between the two plates. And it tends to take a fair few turns to get to that point... I do like that it holds so much (hence why I've only done a few uses in the fortnight I've had it), and it is very easy to turn it. Just, yeah, I thought itd take less turns and not have any unground bud. Am I doing something wrong? That's usually why I get different results.
Hey!

Are you turning back and fourth, or turning in one direction?

Could you make a video of your process?

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
Ah, there's the issue. You don't want to turn it one direction like a traditional grinder. Rather, go back and forth, like less than a half turn each direction, applying light pressure :tup:

Right on, totally agree with this! The back and fourth agitate the bud and help it crumble and break up.

Let us know if this solves your issues :)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
For what it's worth, I turn back and forth with regular grinders too (BCG) and yeah it is good to do here, you just want to be careful that you don't unscrew the retaining ring turning in the other direction for too long!

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
Yeah I would not do just one nug, I would break it up into smaller nugs so you can get them spread out across the plate :tup:

Surprisingly perhaps, I don't typically break em up! I've always just held the knob and body of the mill parallel to each other and used a little less force. Describing it makes the whole thing sound more intentional than it really is though. But, if I was using any fine plate I'd likely break the nug in half.

Marlox

Awaiting laughs for that, but...

Can someone please test how this grinder performs with only 0,1g in it? If you have the choice: stored at 62%RH weed would be perfect :D
Mainly speaking of: Will there be something left in the top-zone or will everything grind like supposed and fall down?

Thank you in advance, knight in shining armor :love:

Marlox,

the3b

Can someone please test how this grinder performs with only 0,1g in it? If you have the choice: stored at 62%RH weed would be perfect :D
Mainly speaking of: Will there be something left in the top-zone or will everything grind like supposed and fall down?

My bud that was sitting with 62% bovedas, at 12.5% moisture content (aka, perfection) was "too moist" for this device according to the manufacturer.

the3b,
Reactions: Marlox

im not a robot

i am a micro micro doser, but i lost my scale. also my humidity packs are rated at 55%, so not sure this helps at all. but - using small amounts works fine imo. i used to get parts stuck in the top half, but it all seems to depend on the pressure one applies (i used to much in the beginning)

PossumMD

So, took youse guys advice and sound the top piece back and forth and holy crap. Ground super quick and no compressed piece left over. One issue though, the collar that holds the bottom plate in place kept unscrewing... Still, I am damned impressed with how quickly it ground. Greased lightning.

the3b

Yup. When I worked as a budtender I kept getting into arguments with the manager about dry OCS (Ontario legal) buds compared to the legacy market, so I bought I wood-moisture meter. Good cured bud will sit at about 12.5% moisture content, which is where a 62% boveda will usually bring them if they haven't gone too dry already.

The image was my Where's My Kush Cake at 12.5% after an attempt at grinding. When paying $150 for a "grinder" I expect better.

Edit: Looking at the pic, it might have been Red Congo, not Where's My Kush Cake. Both were causing these gummy useless results.

IMG_20210928_214023_456.jpg

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Hopefully I can get mines today, had a mix up with the leasing office of my new place giving me the wrong unit number so I ended up shipping my flowermill to the wrong unit, so I should be getting that resolved today

seki

Yup. When I worked as a budtender I kept getting into arguments with the manager about dry OCS (Ontario legal) buds compared to the legacy market, so I bought I wood-moisture meter. Good cured bud will sit at about 12.5% moisture content, which is where a 62% boveda will usually bring them if they haven't gone too dry already.

The image was my Where's My Kush Cake at 12.5% after an attempt at grinding. When paying $150 for a "grinder" I expect better.

Edit: Looking at the pic, it might have been Red Congo, not Where's My Kush Cake. Both were causing these gummy useless results.

View attachment 13946

I regularly store my cannabis in air-tight black glass jars with a 62% Boveda pack. I usually try to let it sit in the jar for at least a week before opening to consume, and even then I only take out what I need for a week and move that to a smaller container. From what I can tell in your pics, you should be okay to process those chunks without issue. It looks a lot like buds that I've run through the FM before.

There is a bit of an ideal technique to use. A back-and-forth motion turning the top portion as others have mentioned with some downward pressure being applied simultaneously. In my experience you don't need to jam it down, but more just a firm grip similar to slicing an onion on a mandoline. You don't need to smash the onion against the board, but you do need to apply a certain amount of pressure to make good contact with the blade.

If you purchased the expansion pack, I'd suggest trying out the coarse plate. I found the larger openings made it easier for me to operate and it gave me a better feel for the technique that I'd need using the other blades.

Last edited:

PossumMD

I regularly store my cannabis in air-tight black glass jars with a 62% Boveda pack. I usually try to let it sit in the jar for at least a week before opening to consume, and even then I only take out what I need for a week and move that to a smaller container. From what I can tell in your pics, you should be okay to process those chunks without issue. It looks a lot like buds that I've run through the FM before.

There is a bit of an ideal technique to use. A back-and-forth motion turning the top portion as others have mentioned with some downward pressure being applied simultaneously. In my experience you don't need to jam it down, but more just a firm grip similar to slicing an onion on a mandolin. You don't need to smash the onion against the board, but you do need to apply a certain amount of pressure to make good contact with the blade.

If you purchased the expansion pack, I'd suggest trying out the coarse plate. I found the larger openings made it easier for me to operate and it gave me a better feel for the technique that I'd need using the other blades.
The picture posted looks to me like it's post milling. I had the same problem with a different grinder about a month ago.

PossumMD,
Reactions: Marlox
Top Bottom