First Vaporizer: which according to my preferences? & some question.

Tabris

Ouroboros
Okay, you are strongly tempting me.
Discussing freely, I believe that “ritual”, as a set of necessary actions, helps not to transform a pleasure into a vice. And since the TM is so “quick and easy” I ask myself a few questions.
Surely, imagining myself in a wood, I would prefer a TM rather than a butane flamethrower. In that sense I would consider an IH (the Go of vapefully), but at that point the “ritual” wouldn’t be that different from a TM, would it?
Sorry for the stream of consciousness 😝

Apart from that, here in Eu with the VAT tax the price is 250€ and for now this is my main problem.

Edit

The discourse on pleasure/vice is exclusively referred to my personal way of being and does not contain any judgments! Understand me 😅

Last edited:

justcametomind

The Tinymight is around €230 shipped and offers great flavor, precision, consistency and portability. The only hassles are 1) charging and caring for the high drain 18650 li-ion cells it uses, and 2) cleaning the stainless steel cooling unit in the mouthpiece. I use mine at home and pair it with a dimpled j-hook for better flavor.

3) The TM has glass internals. It's just a glass tube other than the mouthpiece but a. it makes it heavy, and b. if you drop it and are unlucky it may break, leaving you with no vape. Without any backup vaporizers, especially if you plan on sharing/taking it with you outdoors I'd think twice at getting it as a first and only vaporizer.
I don't like having to deal with glass stems while outdoor, and find the capsule system and the loading slower than with the Fury 2, for example, which is less risky to use outdoors and costs 1/2 of the TM.
4) Customer service was almost inexistent for the most part of the last year due to high demand, the thing got better now, but will they honor the "10 years warranty"? The vape is far from perfect: I already had to send it in once because it lost power (pretty common issue which they probably resolved with better contacts).
5) imho it's not capable of fully extracting a bowl without leaving a burnt o ring on top of the load.
I use my TM esclusively indoors with a waterpipe and used a Fury 2 when vaping outdoors was still a thing for me.
You could look for the Fury 2 or Edge which cost 100€ less than the TM and are still nice vapes. Imho they are easier to load, have a capsule system, heating times are still accaptable, and they are unable to scorch your weed.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
3) The TM has glass internals. It's just a glass tube other than the mouthpiece but a. it makes it heavy, and b. if you drop it and are unlucky it may break, leaving you with no vape. Without any backup vaporizers, especially if you plan on sharing/taking it with you outdoors I'd think twice at getting it as a first and only vaporizer.
I don't like having to deal with glass stems while outdoor, and find the capsule system and the loading slower than with the Fury 2, for example, which is less risky to use outdoors and costs 1/2 of the TM.
4) Customer service was almost inexistent for the most part of the last year due to high demand, the thing got better now, but will they honor the "10 years warranty"? The vape is far from perfect: I already had to send it in once because it lost power (pretty common issue which they probably resolved with better contacts).
5) imho it's not capable of fully extracting a bowl without leaving a burnt o ring on top of the load.
I use my TM esclusively indoors with a waterpipe and used a Fury 2 when vaping outdoors was still a thing for me.
You could look for the Fury 2 or Edge which cost 100€ less than the TM and are still nice vapes. Imho they are easier to load, have a capsule system, heating times are still accaptable, and they are unable to scorch your weed.
Just so @Tabris is aware, I agree with the above post: the Tinymight is more fragile and less convenient/durable than a Fury Edge for outdoor use on hikes.

I think you talked about hoping to get great flavor from whatever vape you buy and while the Fury/Fury Edge are cheaper and more rugged the flavor and vapor quality don't compare to the Tinymight. The Fury is a session vape with a slower, weaker heater and a lot more conduction (so it's cooking your weed when it's turned on even if you're not taking a hit.

Most of my FC cohort have gravitated to on demand convection vapes and the Tinymight gives the best performance with the least fuss. I'd take my Fury Edge to the beach so as not to worry about the much fancier Tinymight but at home the Fury Edge gets used 0% of the time. It's a rugged vape in theory but in practice it just stays in a drawer because I prefer literally all of my on demand convection vapes.

It's like if you said you really liked driving so I tried to sell you on a sports car rather than a sensible compact sedan.

Kins

I think you should avoid the dynvavap. That thing is big pain in the ass. I had ordered one tried it and had a ton of problems. I ended up shipping it back. I was able to get a few good hits with a little torch but not often. It takes a lot of technique to learn to use it properly. Also it has so many upgrades it can be overwhelming to some people. An induction heater with it, it will take away the need to learn a new technique. The Dynavap itself will cost at least $75 not including shipping. The induction heater will be at least $100.

If you don't want to deal with all that you should get a Tinymight. They are very easy to use and don't require purchasing another product just to heat it up.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I think you should avoid the dynvavap. That thing is big pain in the ass. I had ordered one tried it and had a ton of problems. I ended up shipping it back. I was able to get a few good hits with a little torch but not often. It takes a lot of technique to learn to use it properly. Also it has so many upgrades it can be overwhelming to some people. An induction heater with it, it will take away the need to learn a new technique. The Dynavap itself will cost at least $75 not including shipping. The induction heater will be at least $100.

If you don't want to deal with all that you should get a Tinymight. They are very easy to use and don't require purchasing another product just to heat it up.
Can’t stress enough how much this was not my experience, but ymmv ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I don’t have an induction heater and for the moment I see no reason to get one.

Someday curiosity or a desire to have a super premium portable for when I don’t need a rugged portable may motivate me to look at a TM, firewood, or similar, but I think a dynavap will always have a spot for me when doing activities that could conceivably damage an electronic vape. Even sans glass taking a spill doing something active (mountain biking, downhill skiing, things of that nature) seems it might not end well for an electronic vaporizer. Same for a longer backpacking trip—a single torch seems like it would get me a lot further for a lot less weight than a bunch of batteries to last for a week or more.

If you don’t have those needs and want the best available those super premium portables make sense, but in terms of diminishing returns my dynavap gets very close to my log until I add a water piece into the mix. It’s easy to dismiss because of the low price point, but it punches well above its weight ime.

justcametomind

Just so @Tabris is aware, I agree with the above post: the Tinymight is more fragile and less convenient/durable than a Fury Edge for outdoor use on hikes.

I think you talked about hoping to get great flavor from whatever vape you buy and while the Fury/Fury Edge are cheaper and more rugged the flavor and vapor quality don't compare to the Tinymight. The Fury is a session vape with a slower, weaker heater and a lot more conduction (so it's cooking your weed when it's turned on even if you're not taking a hit.

Most of my FC cohort have gravitated to on demand convection vapes and the Tinymight gives the best performance with the least fuss. I'd take my Fury Edge to the beach so as not to worry about the much fancier Tinymight but at home the Fury Edge gets used 0% of the time. It's a rugged vape in theory but in practice it just stays in a drawer because I prefer literally all of my on demand convection vapes.

It's like if you said you really liked driving so I tried to sell you on a sports car rather than a sensible compact sedan.
You may like to call Fury 2/edge session vapes but speaking of heating times it’s a big improvement compared to Classic session vapes like the Crafty/Mighty, which can heat for a minute just to realize they don’t have enough battery to properly vape and shut off. Fury 2 heats up in 20 seconds so the cooking while heating/cooling down is relative, especially if one is keen enough to shut it off and give it a couple of hits to cool it down in the meantime.
To me F2 and Edge are “almost on demand” more than a session vape.
Flavor on the Tm is a bit better but not having to deal with scorched weed is also a plus on a first vape imho.
I could walk while loading the F2, that’s another plus and the size it’s really tiny.
I should start selling Furies lol.
Like Kins I strongly disliked Vapcaps. I’m disgusted by minimal scorching like it can happen with TM, let alone plain combustion which happened quite often to me with that device.
I’m testing the Vleaf Go and while lacking some horsepower it’s imho a better way to spend 75€ than on a Vapcap.
The efficiency and strong couch lock effects many Vapcap users say to experience, me included, are ime given by the byproducts and toxins of pyrolysis, by the second/third heat up, even without plain combustion.

Last edited:
justcametomind,

Kins

Can’t stress enough how much this was not my experience, but ymmv ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I don’t have an induction heater and for the moment I see no reason to get one.

Someday curiosity or a desire to have a super premium portable for when I don’t need a rugged portable may motivate me to look at a TM, firewood, or similar, but I think a dynavap will always have a spot for me when doing activities that could conceivably damage an electronic vape. Even sans glass taking a spill doing something active (mountain biking, downhill skiing, things of that nature) seems it might not end well for an electronic vaporizer. Same for a longer backpacking trip—a single torch seems like it would get me a lot further for a lot less weight than a bunch of batteries to last for a week or more.

If you don’t have those needs and want the best available those super premium portables make sense, but in terms of diminishing returns my dynavap gets very close to my log until I add a water piece into the mix. It’s easy to dismiss because of the low price point, but it punches well above its weight ime.

That's ok. I just think the dynavap is over-hyped and is basically just a toy compared to other portables. As far as a low price point I don't think it's that affordable. Especially because if you really want to take advantage of it you need an induction heater. I mean the thing is just like a pinch hitter or one hitter but it's cost doesn't reflect that.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
You may like to call Fury 2/edge session vapes but speaking of heating times it’s a big improvement compared to Classic session vapes like the Crafty/Mighty,....
To me F2 and Edge are “almost on demand” more than a session vape..

Well on demand or a session is the style of heating, as in session its making the vapor constantly regardless of what you do after turning it on, as opposed to only making vapor at your demand... What you are describing is heat up time, not all on demand vapes are instant heat up, just like not all session vapes are so slow to heat up...

That's ok. I just think the dynavap is over-hyped and is basically just a toy compared to other portables. As far as a low price point I don't think it's that affordable. Especially because if you really want to take advantage of it you need an induction heater. I mean the thing is just like a pinch hitter or one hitter but it's cost doesn't reflect that.

Yeah the original vapcap, the only one I kept, that was all glass, for only $25-35 was perfectly priced. For me it is a novelty, rare fun through water, I could not imagine having to depend on a VC personally (never had much luck with the old Ti tips myself, presumably they have improved much since then, and yeah I bet induction heaters change the game... like I did not get a vapman until I could get it with the station)

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
You may like to call Fury 2/edge session vapes but speaking of heating times it’s a big improvement compared to Classic session vapes like the Crafty/Mighty, which can heat for a minute just to realize they don’t have enough battery to properly vape and shut off. Fury 2 heats up in 20 seconds so the cooking while heating/cooling down is relative, especially if one is keen enough to shut it off and give it a couple of hits to cool it down in the meantime.
To me F2 and Edge are “almost on demand” more than a session vape.
Flavor on the Tm is a bit better but not having to deal with scorched weed is also a plus on a first vape imho.
I could walk while loading the F2, that’s another plus and the size it’s really tiny.
I should start selling Furies lol.
Like Kins I strongly disliked Vapcaps. I’m disgusted by minimal scorching like it can happen with TM, let alone plain combustion which happened quite often to me with that device.
I've never scorched with the Tinymight after maybe a year of use. It can make a center ring but even that is less problematic then the center hotspot potential of other on demand convection vapes.

No session vape can compete with the flavor ceiling of the top tier convection portables and the Edge is no exception. It's true that it heats up way quicker than a Mighty or Crafty but those are both overrated and overpriced dinosaurs. It'd be like me saying the Tinymight vapes more evenly than a Magic Flight Launch Box: true but largely irrelevant.

I take your point though: the Edge is quick enough to heat up that you could take a few hits and then turn it off during your last one to save some for later. My point is just that each of those hits would be worse: less dense, less flavorful, less consistent, and less effective than a similar length draw from any on demand convection portable like the Tinymight (e.g. Splinter Z, Tetra P80, Lotus, Sticky Brick).

I think it's also fair to point out that session vapes don't hit as hard. Another way to put that is that they're slower to extract. Put your Tinymight on a higher temp setting and it's easy to fully extract .1g in three or four big hits while you'll keep hitting an Edge more than twice as many times to finish it off. That fucks up the ritual for me and it's why my Edge is relegated to occasional vaping out in world. I think you're also right that session vapes have value when sharing because noobs/friends don't even need to push a button.

Shit Snacks

I've never scorched with the Tinymight after maybe a year of use. It can make a center ring but even that is less problematic then the center hotspot potential of other on demand convection vapes.

No session vape can compete with the flavor ceiling of the top tier convection portables and the Edge is no exception. It's true that it heats up way quicker than a Mighty or Crafty but those are both overrated and overpriced dinosaurs. It'd be like me saying the Tinymight vapes more evenly than a Magic Flight Launch Box: true but largely irrelevant.

I take your point though: the Edge is quick enough to heat up that you could take a few hits and then turn it off during your last one to save some for later. My point is just that each of those hits would be worse: less dense, less flavorful, less consistent, and less effective than a similar length draw from any on demand convection portable like the Tinymight (e.g. Splinter Z, Tetra P80, Lotus, Sticky Brick).

I think it's also fair to point out that session vapes don't hit as hard. Another way to put that is that they're slower to extract. Put your Tinymight on a higher temp setting and it's easy to fully extract .1g in three or four big hits while you'll keep hitting an Edge more than twice as many times to finish it off.

Whispier hits with more hot air and throat irritation don't appeal to me and neither does the ritual of turning on a timed session vape and thinking "I'd better take another hot, toasty, flimsy hit off this thing because it's been cooking my weed since I hit it a minute ago."

Side note I really want you to score an FW7 somehow to see what hybrid conduction can do when it is on demand with actual power and not a slow ass session extraction lol

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Side note I really want you to score an FW7 somehow to see what hybrid conduction can do when it is on demand with actual power and not a slow ass session extraction lol
Well it was about this time last year you talked me into finally getting a Tinymight so the outlook is good! If I could deal with the batch drop hassle of the Lamart store I might even own a P80 at some point. TafeeBowle is where I draw the line though: fuck a cup holder vape with four temps and a small internal battery for $300us.

Shit Snacks

Well it was about this time last year you talked me into finally getting a Tinymight so the outlook is good! If I could deal with the batch drop hassle of the Lamart store I might even own a P80 at some point. TafeeBowle is where I draw the line though: fuck a cup holder vape with four temps and a small internal battery for $300us.

:rofl:

I know my audience, I would not try to sell you on either of those, also I honestly think the FW7 is more special and a more perfect compliment to your TM and Splinters...
And then a vapbong! :whip:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
:rofl:

I know my audience, I would not try to sell you on either of those, also I honestly think the FW7 is more special and a more perfect compliment to your TM and Splinters...
And then a vapbong! :whip:
I'll commit to taking a flyer on a VapBong whenever they do their legendary 40% off sale so they're *only $330 or whatever counts as a deal in this bleak post-RBT convection hellscape

Shit Snacks

I'll commit to taking a flyer on a VapBong whenever they do their legendary 40% off sale so they're *only $330 or whatever counts as a deal in this bleak post-RBT convection hellscape

Unfortunately those days are done too, new website takes credit card international but increased prices a bit, they are not doing the 30% off sales for foreseeable future as they were overwhelmed by the last two... They are trying to catch up on backlog and have new equipment so even b stocks are rare (those are sale like deals) but newsletter notifies... Or secondhand perhaps!

Shit Snacks,

Tabris

Ouroboros
Glad to see you passionate in the discussion 🤠
You raised very useful pros and cons, thank you very much.
And since I learn from your talks, I’d say “on demand” is my way.
But it’s also difficult for me to choose a portable object that I have to be afraid to carry around.

Rereading everything, someone mentioned the MiniVap without describing it.
How about it?
I took a look at the features and on paper it seems adequate.
But I misunderstood or the smaller version (the Core) is sold for 210€ without battery and charger?!

Tabris,

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
If you're a heavier hitter I can see the small DV bowls not doing it. However, if I load the entire thing Its definitely a session for me. I'll have to count out approx. how many heating cycles I get at each section that still produce vapor. Point is, is that depending on op's tolerance the dv may or may not be a "one hitter".

Budget is also extremely subjective. You might not find the price of a TM to be much of a thought, but for a lot of people its a lot of discretionary income. However, for the same price point as e.g. a 2020m (so $75) what other vaporizer would you recommend if that is where someone's budget sits?

I think the larger point is we shouldn't really be considering our ideal vapes when someone says "here are my wants and needs". If they enumerate a specific list of wants and needs and you happen to have a few vapes in mind from past experience that you think tick those boxes that is wonderful feedback. If I go look at Reddit I can easily find, "Flowerpot." in response to "I don't have much tolerance or budget, what is my ideal vape"? FWIW I have heard that the FP actually performs fantastically with small amounts, but it sure seems like more of a heavy hitter, and even if it microdoses with the best of them is it a budget tolerant option or could one spend much less and microdose just as well?

Franco

is (most likely) vaping

I think it's also fair to point out that session vapes don't hit as hard. Another way to put that is that they're slower to extract. Put your Tinymight on a higher temp setting and it's easy to fully extract .1g in three or four big hits while you'll keep hitting an Edge more than twice as many times to finish it off. That fucks up the ritual for me and it's why my Edge is relegated to occasional vaping out in world. I think you're also right that session vapes have value when sharing because noobs/friends don't even need to push a button.
This +1000

But it’s also difficult for me to choose a portable object that I have to be afraid to carry around.

How about it?
But I misunderstood or the smaller version (the Core) is sold for 210€ without battery and charger?!
If you're looking for an on demand (convection) vape and stealth is not a concern you should also check the Sticky Brick line.
They should feel very familiar for you since you mentioned using a pipe for a few years. Of course, they're not ideal for hiking, but you can't have everything in one vape. That's why there's VAS. :D

Also, have you considered a Dreamwood Glow 18? The V3 costs €109 and you only need to add a mod box.
That should cover your use cases quite well.

Shit Snacks

How about it?

MV is not on demand, it is also large and expensive... If you want a portable you can take out with you, something on demand, maybe look into the vleafgo as well? Maybe that and a vapcap is the best for you now!

Kins

MV is not on demand, it is also large and expensive... If you want a portable you can take out with you, something on demand, maybe look into the vleafgo as well? Maybe that and a vapcap is the best for you now!

From the Minivap website,

Minivap said:
ON DEMAND EXTRACTION
MiniVAP uses convection heating that only cooks your herbs when you inhale. The hot airflow vaporizes the active ingredients with all the taste and aromas of the plant.

Kins

Oh I thought someone said it was session somewhere, one talking about the difference between it and Tafée Bowle... Whoops!

I was thinking I was mistaken, was all ready to refuse shipment until I read that and just saw your conformation and was like "phew!!!". I just finished a few dabs of "Orange cookies" badder. I had just ordered one last week. Also first time trying 520 F on the mini nail. The difference is unreal.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Unfortunately those days are done too, new website takes credit card international but increased prices a bit, they are not doing the 30% off sales for foreseeable future as they were overwhelmed by the last two... They are trying to catch up on backlog and have new equipment so even b stocks are rare (those are sale like deals) but newsletter notifies... Or secondhand perhaps!
That worked out well for me then since I don't care for desktops, I'll still try a Firewood 7 though

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
@Tabris perhaps if you told us more of your expectations of your idea of a perfect session for you. How much herb do you want to have? How fast or long? What is most important flavour or clouds? Do you want to feel a little tickle in your throat or do you want something as cool and smooth as country air? Where will you be using it most and where do you hope to use it? How important is discretion?

Bad Dog,
Reactions: Tabris

Tabris

Ouroboros
@Franco @Shit Snacks Thanks, I don’t know those devices, I’ll read more about.
@Kins Thank you, I just read that part of the website, that’s because I wrote “on the paper”.
@Tabris perhaps if you told us more of your expectations of your idea of a perfect session for you. How much herb do you want to have? How fast or long? What is most important flavour or clouds? Do you want to feel a little tickle in your throat or do you want something as cool and smooth as country air? Where will you be using it most and where do you hope to use it? How important is discretion?
Great approach, thank you!

So, I don't know how to accurately quantify my consumption but I tend to use little herb.

I love slow and long and deep hits, sometimes I get to the second or third early and then relax for several minutes before continuing, other times I let some time pass after the first hit.

Regarding flavor and clouds keep in mind that I have never tried the vape, I come from the joint so my claims on flavor are low and anything better than blackened herb will be appreciated. Having been a narghilè/shisha/hookah (?! I don't know how to say it in english) and pipe smoker, clouds are an integral part of pleasure and fun for me (and I love feeling like a dragon 🐲).

Regarding the sensation in the throat, I would like smooth and warm air, even fresh if necessary. I hate too much heat and the "scratch", in fact I have never smoked cigarettes and I have always suffered a bit with joints.

My ideal situations would be:
- at the end of a stressful day, on the sofa or on the floor, with whiskey and music, perhaps a movie;
- during an excursion, after a long walk, leaning against a tree, looking at the details around between one hit and the next, letting the imagination run wild;
- before and/or after and/or during sex, in sharing.

I don't have many problems of discretion, because I tend to be isolated. But I like to move, even just moving from one room to another.

I hope I was understandable!

EZ Wind

Lost Sailor
@Tabris, since you like a long slow draw and very smooth hits you may not like some of the newer more powerful portables as a starting point. Maybe an older used Pax or Firefly could be a good match for your preferred technique and low budget. Then as you get used to vaping if you crave bigger/stronger hits you can save up for a TinyMight or Firewood7.

Top Bottom