• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I received my FW8 on Wednesday and I am experiencing the same thing with the green light but only with one of my batteries - the light stays green even after more than an afternoon and overnight charging, but I also get the 4 buzzes and got 6 bowls out of it. The other battery does not display that, the green light turns off after full charge. It does not look like this apparent anomaly affects the device or its performance, no excessive heat, no smell, i will monitor and may let Marc know.

Re-reading folks experiences with first charges is bringing back some memories. I know I've had devices where the battery's first charge took forever and I finally just unplugged it. I then plugged it right back in to see if it would continue charging and it immediately signaled a full charge. After that, I never had that issue again. Maybe try that with your packs that have been charging for a super long time.

By the way, without trying to be controversial I love the look of the FW8 and to me it is a piece of modern art. I will review more after further discovery over the weekend. But thanks everyone who has shared their experience and first impressions, with a special mention of @moondog, the pre-read allowed me to get right into it.

You are most welcome. Enjoy!!

hippogriff

Happy Group B FW8 owner checking in.

To the folks wondering if this is a sideways upgrade: it is not, the FW8 is a clear upgrade in power/ease-of-use over the FW7. I think of it in terms of convection vaping, where pulling vapor is kinda like pulling taffy; you get your material to the right temp, then you pull it carefully to start the process, cause pulling too fast interrupts the flow. With earlier FWs, this part took thoughtful breath control, noobs couldn’t get it. FW7’s hybrid heater was a huge step forward, but you still had to control the moment and sometimes hold the button down longer to get good vapor, 100% more noob-friendly but I’d still start a bowl before sharing. FW8’s improved power/ratio/airflow is essentially technique-free: depress button, feel confirmation buzz, continue to hold button, get 2nd “reached-temp” buzz, now pull however you want w/o thought. FW8 is a beast.

I think the overall feature set muddles things. Battery pack adds complexity (even tho standardizing around usb-c is a nice upgrade). Loading in the field is harder (one more piece to manage), but pre-loading is easier and the more airtight compartment improves function. Visually, these upgrades stand out from FW7’s streamlined look, even tho they don’t change ergonomics (bigger button is nice) or size.

FW8 will be with us for awhile, and I have no doubt it’ll settle in to the love it deserves, while FW7 will remain a classic of balanced design (especially to folks used to non-hybrid vapes).

Loading up a Grandaddy Purple/diamonds/GP sandwich and heading out to walk the dog…

Falconflys

To the folks wondering if this is a sideways upgrade: it is not, the FW8 is a clear upgrade in power/ease-of-use over the FW7. I think of it in terms of convection vaping, where pulling vapor is kinda like pulling taffy; you get your material to the right temp, then you pull it carefully to start the process, cause pulling too fast interrupts the flow. With earlier FWs, this part took thoughtful breath control, noobs couldn’t get it. FW7’s hybrid heater was a huge step forward, but you still had to control the moment and sometimes hold the button down longer to get good vapor, 100% more noob-friendly but I’d still start a bowl before sharing. FW8’s improved power/ratio/airflow is essentially technique-free: depress button, feel confirmation buzz, continue to hold button, get 2nd “reached-temp” buzz, now pull however you want w/o thought. FW8 is a beast.

I think the overall feature set muddles things. Battery pack adds complexity (even tho standardizing around usb-c is a nice upgrade). Loading in the field is harder (one more piece to manage), but pre-loading is easier and the more airtight compartment improves function. Visually, these upgrades stand out from FW7’s streamlined look, even tho they don’t change ergonomics (bigger button is nice) or size.

FW8 will be with us for awhile, and I have no doubt it’ll settle in to the love it deserves, while FW7 will remain a classic of balanced design (especially to folks used to non-hybrid vapes).

Loading up a Grandaddy Purple/diamonds/GP sandwich and heading out to walk the dog…
Very well put @hippogriff! Also, great point about the airtightness of the oven. Haven't thought of that.

games-loaves0t

Great review! Though, it’s funny… I’ve found the FW8 to have a much steeper learning curve. Without help from @moondog I’m not sure I would have been using FW8 to its full potential. That said, I think you’re right about it being an improvement over the FW7. The flavor I get out of the FW8 is even better than the FW7, which is hard to believe.

hippogriff

Great review! Though, it’s funny… I’ve found the FW8 to have a much steeper learning curve. Without help from @moondog I’m not sure I would have been using FW8 to its full potential. That said, I think you’re right about it being an improvement over the FW7. The flavor I get out of the FW8 is even better than the FW7, which is hard to believe.
I hear you, there are rules to learn. I’ve gotten in trouble multiple times forgetting <cough> to wait for the second buzz, so the heater has to heat extra (which is strong like a turbo’d Milaana, maybe good for water?). “Second buzz and go” has been powerful and consistent for me. I get the impression that, w FW7&8, I experience issues that come from the part of my brain that felt good at instant convection vapes.

gotbadvas

I am looking to give my FW7 a little bit of love. I bought a new glass charlie stem for it now I think the 2 VTC6 batteries I have been sharing with the FW and my mod to be used just for my mod. Anyone using the P28A with the FW7? Just want to make sure they aren't extra snug or something. Going to be nice having 4 fresh batteries I bet these sonys are in worse shape than I realize.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
FW8 early adopters kit down to $320 on the entexchange discord. Screaming deal for those that don't want to wait for their group to come up.

diablitos

I've got both the 7 and 8.

I would say the 8 is more of a step sideways than a step backwards. But that sideways step is in a direction that doesn't suit everybody.

• The performance of the 8 is not to be denied. Once you dial in your technique, it's a monster.
  • It doesn't feel as good in the hand as the 7. The 7 is simply a masterpiece in that regard.
  • I'm one who loves the capsule concept, but lately I've been thinking about how I'd love it even more if the capsules had some sort of cover to prevent spillage - maybe a small screen. (Of course, that would make loading a bit more fiddly.) Tamping down material tightly will prevent 99% of any spillage but I've found that overzealous packing can affect airflow.
  • I know the proprietary battery packs are polarizing. I love 'em.
I'm not sure which extras you're thinking of in terms of having to buy. Because I've suffered severe damage to my fine motor capabilities, I find the Delta 3D loading tray indispensable. But for others, it's just a convenience or not needed at all. Same with a set of tweezers for capsule removal. For most folks, neither are must haves, but they do make for an easier experience. Buying accessories for a vape is not a downside for me. I've never owned a vape for which I didn't pick up some gizmos. It's fun! But, for the FW8 at least, not necessary.

The FW8 is not cheap. But it's a finely crafted handmade device I haven't for a single second regretted spending the money.
Thank you for tipping me to the Delta 3D loading tray. I was unfamiliar with the company, but pulled the trigger on their Black Friday sale due to this recommendation, and it was a wise decision. The tolerances are nice and tight, and I really like the way I can consistently tamp as I continue to hone my FW8 technique (I am new to the Firewood).

MMJane

I wonder if @MMJane is still alive? I hope so, how are you going with the firewood 8?

I’m still alive! Sorry for the histrionics. I was um…really high when I wrote my last message and got myself freaked out. 😂

It’s going good. Still lovin’ my firewood. My previous vapes are collecting dust and it has become daily. I’ve been dealing with a chronic pain flare for the past month~ or so and haven’t been bouncing around as much. Going today for a couple of steroid injections in my SI joints that will either help or help rule things out so we can do nerve ablations again.

Im glad to see the Delta 3d Studios loading tray still getting love here. Every time I use it, I marvel at how much faster and more efficient the process is compared to the old, tedious way of loading one cap at a time.

Hope all is well!

PossumMD

I'm on the fence on pulling the trigger on this. The lack of feedback both here and on Reddit compared to what we got with the 7 concerns me. That, and I'm off work at the moment through injury...

PossumMD,

hippogriff

I'm on the fence on pulling the trigger on this. The lack of feedback both here and on Reddit compared to what we got with the 7 concerns me. That, and I'm off work at the moment through injury...
You should stay on the fence, then, it’s ok. FW8 is still in the process of coming out, wait list still waiting, and only a fraction have gone to people who are compelled to talk about it on the internet. Reddit, especially, needs a bigger mass of voices for an opinion to feel established (cause people ask the same questions repeated multiple times a day), took FW7 a year or more after rollout to be a sleeper hit on Reddit. It’ll be on the shortlist next to TM2, just like FW7 was right next to TM1, eventually.

Pasoa2020

You should stay on the fence, then, it’s ok. FW8 is still in the process of coming out, wait list still waiting, and only a fraction have gone to people who are compelled to talk about it on the internet. Reddit, especially, needs a bigger mass of voices for an opinion to feel established (cause people ask the same questions repeated multiple times a day), took FW7 a year or more after rollout to be a sleeper hit on Reddit. It’ll be on the shortlist next to TM2, just like FW7 was right next to TM1, eventually.
I’m not sure I’d agree. I have the TM1 and FW7. When the FW8 and TM2 were announced the TM2 was a no brainer order for me. And I absolutely love it, an upgrade in every way to the TM1.

The FW8 is different device from the FW7 and IMO the difference do not result in a better device. In many ways it’s a downgrade. That’s not saying it’s not a good device. But I’d put money on the fact that, if he offered both the FW7 and the FW8 for sale currently the 7 would eclipse the 8 by a not insignificant margin. The FW7 was and is a masterpiece. The FW8 not quite at that level.

diablitos

I thought I might describe my experience with the FW8 as a first-time Firewood owner, to help inform other people who might be deciding whether or not to make their purchase. I have no point of comparison to make with the fabled FW7. I purchased: the Firewood 8 early adopter's kit, and the Delta3D Studios loading tool after reading the positive review of Moondog here on this forum.

Verdict: I am delighted with my purchase, and feeling the FW8 in hand, admiring its elegant design, brings great pleasure to my ritual.

I like the wooden battery-in-case unit, and for my needs a charge is more than enough to take care of the evening's business. I do believe having the second battery unit in the early adopter's kit is worthwhile, though, because you just never know, and if sharing with a few friends it will become necessary if they're rambunctious types. The real value of the FW8, however, is in my opinion its ceramic capsule-in-chamber setup. I fill four chambers using the Delta3D loading tray (so far I've had best results with a finer grind and a substantial tamp), and one goes in the chamber, three in the stylish matching caddy that came in the early adopter's kit. The tolerance on the sliding top of the caddy is tight, and sliding it back and forth can take some doing. I applied some beeswax to the edges, and opening and closing has become substantially easier.

Now to the vapor itself. I have the three temperature settings at 370º, 390º, and 410º as was suggested to me by an experienced hand on the Reddit vaporents forum. There is a bit of a learning curve to getting generous, fluffy clouds, but I've come to appreciate the process as a way to really dial in the strength of the effect. The ability to cycle through temp settings with great ease is most welcome. I take a couple of draws using the lowest temp setting, which offers the most beautifully flavorful clouds I have experienced from a handheld vape. Once you get some residual heat radiating in the oven, jumping to the next temp setting allows for some devastatingly potent tokes if you want to jump Snake River Canyon. I have found that holding the button down until I start to feel the clouds in the back of my nose, then letting residual heat carry things onward allows the correct mix of flavor and potency to be expressed. I'm fairly lightweight, and can suffer The Fear if my stone becomes too overwhelming, so I generally take one "ramp in" toke on 370º, one substantial toke immediately thereafter in which the clouds really swell, then a toke at 390º. This last is a sip if I'm feeling tentative, or hearty if I'm feeling like the world is in my corner. I generally then have one more toke at 390º and two at 410º still available, which I tend to enjoy half an hour to an hour later. Enthusiasts who enjoy a really robust experience could of course dispatch a chamber in one go. You will get very high.

The next stage is where I think people will want to focus when deciding whether or not this is a vape for them. It might strike some as onerous. To reload, one unscrews the oven door a half-turn, then dump the now-spent ceramic capsule out of the oven. The way I've been tamping, cheeba stays neatly in the capsule, but you will need either serious calluses on your hand or a surface that can take some heat, for it is blazing hot. I think following the suggestion of several people here, and using a pair of tweezers to extract the capsule is the best solution. I got a pair of needle-nose tweezers so that I can use the tweezer prongs to clear out the capsule into my AVB vessel. I like to clear my capsules in one sweep by storing them in the Delta3D loader, then holding it upside down and using the tweezers to empty all four efficiently. So, more gear. The payoff, however, is twofold: the oven stays immaculately clean because there's no bits of green getting stuck and torched, and of course the glory of these convection clouds: rich, full, deliciously tasty.

I assume that in future, artisans may make glass mouthpieces for the FW8 that offer the owner a chance to display a flash of color, have a longer mouthpiece, or use with a waterpiece. The amber mouthpiece provided is modest and unassuming—it fits the look of the device. I have used the FW8 with the MJArsenal Titan (10mm female joint), and it worked beautifully, but I actually prefer to hold it in hand and use as is, because it is so enjoyable.

All in all, my view is: it was well worth the money for me, and has become my prime device, used daily (I still very much enjoy a vapcap, too). I found the learning curve to procure thick, potent clouds to be fairly straightforward, though the first draw in a session will be a bit wispy until radiant heat builds in the chamber. Subsequent tokes will allay any concerns there. The buzzing alerts are unambiguous and effective. Even when I'm in a mellow mood, I'm not going to mistake the process of cycling through the temp settings. The capsules can be a pain to load, but the Delta3D tray streamlines the process and also offers a safe holding place for them so that nothing but capsules filled with bright green cheeba will scent the wooden caddy if you're heading out for an adventure. I would feel comfortable taking it with me for a hike or a beach day, though right now I'm babying it to ensure the wood doesn't take on any little dents. When I inevitably do cause the FW8 to take on some character with a dent here or there, some citrus oil and beeswax or cutting board oil will beautify it.

I am so glad I made this purchase. I love this vape.

MMJane

The FW8 is different device from the FW7 and IMO the difference do not result in a better device. In many ways it’s a downgrade. That’s not saying it’s not a good device. But I’d put money on the fact that, if he offered both the FW7 and the FW8 for sale currently the 7 would eclipse the 8 by a not insignificant margin. The FW7 was and is a masterpiece. The FW8 not quite at that level.

How do you know it’s not better if you have never used it?

The people here who have seem quite content with it.

Dreadvik

I was part of group b but some issues with mailing lists and payments only managed to get ot shipped nov 7th.

My parcel finally arrived today after a week stalled in customs and a week with royal mail!

Was so excited but all I have is a white box approx 2x5 inches with what looks like two fw5 glass tubes in it :(

So hope Marc can put this right quickly for me! Was looking forward to this as winter is in and blues kicking me hard

Dreadvik

I was part of group b but some issues with mailing lists and payments only managed to get ot shipped nov 7th.

My parcel finally arrived today after a week stalled in customs and a week with royal mail!

Was so excited but all I have is a white box approx 2x5 inches with what looks like two fw5 glass tubes in it :(

So hope Marc can put this right quickly for me! Was looking forward to this as winter is in and blues kicking me hard
Getting nervous now as there is no reply as yet. Just hope this isn't another grasshopper situation 🤣🤣🤣

Dreadvik,

someTooL

FW8 arrived today. Green light for the initial battery charge just went out and time to play.

Funny thing is that I had a hot flash moment today questioning if I had any 18650’s laying around. Speaking of that, the custom battery packs are beautiful work and intricately designed to match up nicely.

Have spent today admiring the work put into this piece. Custom craftsmanship in front of me. You really don’t appreciate the detail until in your hands.

Super excited to spend some time getting to know this device.

Zagala

@someTooL I second your appreciation of the craftsmanship and the details, I particularly like the many lines in many directions. Sometimes it makes me think of the profiles of the machines in the Charlie Chaplin movie ‘Modern Times’! I have not spent enough time yet with it to review but I like it so far, not more than my FW7, it just has displayed a different but likeable personality to me so far.

Zagala

Re-reading folks experiences with first charges is bringing back some memories. I know I've had devices where the battery's first charge took forever and I finally just unplugged it. I then plugged it right back in to see if it would continue charging and it immediately signaled a full charge. After that, I never had that issue again. Maybe try that with your packs that have been charging for a super long time.

You are most welcome. Enjoy!!
Following up on the green light staying on even after full charge. I went through several cycles, tried your suggestion to no avail, so I eventually contacted Marc and he responded this morning: “I would recommend sending it back for repair” and I will do that.

Top Bottom