• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Nice to see some loading trays hitting the scene.

So what letter of the alphabet are we on now? Believe I have seen a “C” group called in to action a while back.
At the end of August I was notified that I could buy as a member of group B (I decided to pass, capsules). So it seems entirely possible that group C is happening now.

Not Invented Here

Nice to see some loading trays hitting the scene.

So what letter of the alphabet are we on now? Believe I have seen a “C” group called in to action a while back.
Yeah as a member of group C I declare that my check has been received and cashed and the FW8 early adopter special is certifiably on the way! My tracking number predicts it will arrive Monday. hype hype hype

EZ Wind

Lost Sailor
Got my group B early adopter package last week. The was a minor issue with a part missing from my order and when I emailed Marc he had already put the part in the mail. Top notch customer service and the FW8 is a beast! While it's not as clean looking as the FW7 the amount of intricate machining and perfect fit and finish have a certain beauty of their own.

Not Invented Here

Mine just arrived a bit ahead of schedule! I got a lil confused by the battery lights, green light means charging lol. I loaded all the capsules and everything before I realized my batteries didn't come magically charged. Loading was a little bit of a hassle, so I went ahead and ordered that delta3D loading tray, thanks, @moondog
I'm super excited to try it out, and I wanted to express my appreciation for this community quick, I don't really have any friends so the remote parasocial experience I have here means a lot to me. Thanks for being cool people, most of you.

Falconflys

Mine just arrived a bit ahead of schedule! I got a lil confused by the battery lights, green light means charging lol. I loaded all the capsules and everything before I realized my batteries didn't come magically charged. Loading was a little bit of a hassle, so I went ahead and ordered that delta3D loading tray, thanks, @moondog
I'm super excited to try it out, and I wanted to express my appreciation for this community quick, I don't really have any friends so the remote parasocial experience I have here means a lot to me. Thanks for being cool people, most of you.
Awesome! Long weekend turned into most excellent weekend!

Hopkins3030

ordered that delta3D loading tray, thanks, @moondog
Yes, thanks @moondog for your part in making that happen, and so quickly! I got my loading tray yesterday and have used it 3 times since then (I really hope y'all appreciate the punishment I subject my lungs to for the sake of knowledge and info sharing :ko:) and while I won't go as far as saying it's a 'must-have' I will say that, after having the pleasure of using it, I'd be put out if I lost/broke mine and would order an immediate replacement... 👍

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Loading was a little bit of a hassle, so I went ahead and ordered that delta3D loading tray, thanks, @moondog
Yes, thanks @moondog for your part in making that happen, and so quickly! I got my loading tray yesterday and have used it 3 times since then (I really hope y'all appreciate the punishment I subject my lungs to for the sake of knowledge and info sharing :ko:) and while I won't go as far as saying it's a 'must-have' I will say that, after having the pleasure of using it, I'd be put out if I lost/broke mine and would order an immediate replacement... 👍

You're both most welcome and I'm glad you're liking it so far, @Hopkins3030.

I'm sitting here laughing at the news that you got yours because I'm still waiting on mine. It was out for delivery today and now the tracking info says they couldn't access the delivery location. :\:( My mailbox (at which I've been getting mail for 30 years) is on the side of a dead-end rural road with no traffic. Hard to imagine what happened there. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Until then, I guess I'll be spilling weed all over the place for the next few hours. :lol:

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
You're both most welcome and I'm glad you're liking it so far, @Hopkins3030.

I'm sitting here laughing at the news that you got yours because I'm still waiting on mine. It was out for delivery today and now the tracking info says they couldn't access the delivery location. :\:( My mailbox (at which I've been getting mail for 30 years) is on the side of a dead-end rural road with no traffic. Hard to imagine what happened there. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Until then, I guess I'll be spilling weed all over the place for the next few hours. :lol:
Probably the old “they hit the wrong button on their handheld” excuse, it’s what they’ve given me a few times recently, forcing me to trudge down to the post office and wait 30mins or more while they search for it. The last time they selected “undeliverable due to dangerous animal” or something similar. We never let our dogs run loose, never keep the front door or secured gates open, and if this were true there would have been some left over evidence, shall we say, of a failed attempt (I’m kidding, hopefully). So somebody just fat fingers the buttons on occasion, or gets lazy and wants to cut their route short sometimes.

CanikUser19,
Reactions: moondog

moondog

Probably the old “they hit the wrong button on their handheld” excuse, it’s what they’ve given me a few times recently, forcing me to trudge down to the post office and wait 30mins or more while they search for it. The last time they selected “undeliverable due to dangerous animal” or something similar. We never let our dogs run loose, never keep the front door or secured gates open, and if this were true there would have been some left over evidence, shall we say, of a failed attempt (I’m kidding, hopefully). So somebody just fat fingers the buttons on occasion, or gets lazy and wants to cut their route short sometimes.
After conducting a rigorous scientific inquiry (translation = I hit my FW8 hard and sat around thinking about this some more), I must agree with your general thesis.

I looked more carefully at the info on the tracking page and that "no access" message was posted at 3:13 in the afternoon. Our mail gets delivered by noon at the latest - usually earlier - at the start of the route. My guess is the carrier discovered my package on the floor of his truck when he got back to the P.O. and decided he was not going to drive back up our hill to deliver it.

I'll bet their handheld does not have a button for "Sorry dude, I was too high/hungover/bad at my job to get your package into your mailbox."

Likewise, I'm sure they can't enter "Look, it was an honest mistake and we're really sorry. We'll get it there on the next delivery day."

So instead we get these cryptic confusing messages that have no relationship with reality.

We'll see what happens today.

awesomedeluxe

Can someone help me out? I was on the preorder list for the Firewood 8. I got in and lost the address I'm supposed to send the check to, And when I hit invoice it says the invoice is already paid... so I don't know where to send the check now!

Yes... I was high :rofl:

Does anyone here have the address? I really want to get a Firewood 8 🙏

danjens

Can someone help me out? I was on the preorder list for the Firewood 8. I got in and lost the address I'm supposed to send the check to, And when I hit invoice it says the invoice is already paid... so I don't know where to send the check now!

Firewood, PO Box 1066, Waitsfield, VT 05673

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

I see you got the answer, but why not just email Marc?

moondog

My loading tray has arrived!

I have yet to actually use it but have examined the relationship of the capsule to the tray components so that I could respond to this question ASAP:

I was just checking out the loading tray from 3d studios. I see in the pic the top of the capsule is bellow the top of the tray when assembled for loading. Seems there will be excess on top of the caps after loading. I think it would be better if it was flush with the top so you can pack and scrap the excess on the top piece, lift it off and your caps are perfectly packed. Flush with the top and no need to scrap of the extra.
I'm still ordering one! Love the concept!

The tolerances on this thing are really tight. The inner wall of the opening in the top part of the tray exactly matches the inner wall of the capsule at its widest point. So I don't see that there will be any issue with excess on top. Especially once you use the tamping tool.

I'll post again after actually loading up a cap.

EDIT: So here I am, after loading a cap (and before using it so that I can be at least semi-coherent :p.)

Short version: This loading tray rocks.

Longer version: This loading tray totally rocks!!!! :rockon:

A capsule fits into a silo of the tray perfectly and the tamping tool fits into the capsule perfectly.

The "base" of the tamping tool fits into the top of the tray nicely for use as a scraper to push errant material into the capsule(s). That base also serves as a natural "stop" when tamping down. The base meets the outer edge of the tray and that's as far as you can tamp. That will work fine when filling caps with healthy/full doses. But I'll probably use my own tamping tool most of the time because my micro-doses fill up so little of the capsule that the tamping tool base hits that "stop" point before I've tamped as firmly as I want to.

The bottom of each of the four silos is open and at first you might think (as I did) "I wonder if it would be better for that to be closed so that the screen has support when I'm tamping down", but when you're ready to take the cap out of the tray you remove the top part of the tray, place a finger tip under the silo with the capsule in it and apply the slightest pressure and that capsule lifts up out of the silo just enough to make it even easier to remove from the tray.

In summary: If, like me, you are a FW8 user who faces challenges in the fine motor department, the quality-of-life improvement made by this device is immeasurable. If, like me, you like cool vape-related gadgets and showering your new vape with accessories to make it feel welcome, this device will make you and your vape very happy. If, like me, you enjoy supporting small made-in-the-USA businesses that provide stellar customer service...well, you get the idea.

3D Delta loading tray for the FW8. Accept no substitutes.

Last edited:

Hopkins3030

That base also serves as a natural "stop" when tamping down. The base meets the outer edge of the tray and that's as far as you can tamp.
I'm glad you finally got yours! I was feeling a smol pang of guilt every time I've used mine, and it's been a lot! But I think there must have been a design change between yours & mine, since my 'tampers' go the entire depth of the chamber and overpacking is a definite possibility.

rosedale

I am definitely enjoying my FW8. I also had the FW7 and I definitely feel like the FW8 is an improvement in terms of vapor quality and a few other aspects like the 1-piece stem and the button (that sounds weird but the button on my 7 was a little "sticky" and didn't have great tactile feedback). I am even coming around on the proprietary battery but I am not enjoying the capsule system. I feel that they spill easily, they are difficult to get in and out, you have to deal with a hot piece of ceramic that falls out when you dump it, and even the extra capsules are difficult to remove from the holder box.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. I was hoping that anyone who has a FW8 and is enjoying the capsule system could share their technique.

nattramn

I write this without pretension ...
I am pleased to have a chance today to own a large collection of vaporizers : P80 lamart, OWW, dreamwood, TRWW, edstnt, vapman, dougswoodery, dovetailwoodwork etc ...
And today, I was pleasantly surprised to discover this vape. What a wonderful surprise !
After Anvil by Vestratto, I didnt think it would be possible.

EZ Wind

Lost Sailor
@rosedale - I also just stepped up to the FW8 from the FW7 and I agree with all your comments. I fill capsules over a sheet of paper until they're loosely full to the top. Then I use the tamper built into the lid to firmly tamp the load. I never have to worry about the capsules spilling once tamped and any crumbs on the paper can easily be dumped back into your grinder, doob tube, etc. A gentle tap on the holder or FW8 is all I've ever needed to get a capsule to fall out. If you put the loaded capsules in the holder upside down you can even tap them straight from the holder right into the oven. I rather like the capsule system - swapping prefilled capsules when out and about is much easier than hand filling the FW7 (and putting half the load in the battery compartment!)

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Anyone with both a fw8 and a tm2? Just curious how these two devices compare. I have neither of their old models, and really like the way the firewood looks. I also think it looks a little sturdier than the tinymight, which is a plus as I'd like to take it in my pocket out and about.

I'm sure they are both amazing devices, but since my group G is looking to be a ways out still, I just figured I'd see if anyone has any firsthand experience with both :)
I would ask this on the TM2 vs FW8 thread. Not really supposed to compare in device threads.

moondog

...but I am not enjoying the capsule system. I feel that they spill easily, they are difficult to get in and out, you have to deal with a hot piece of ceramic that falls out when you dump it, and even the extra capsules are difficult to remove from the holder box.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. I was hoping that anyone who has a FW8 and is enjoying the capsule system could share their technique.

I agree with your thoughts about some of the drawbacks to the capsule system. I avoid the hot ceramic issue by not swapping caps while the used one is still hot, but I recognize that works just because of my particular usage case. If I do need to remove a hot capsule I use a set of precision tweezers.

As for the ease of spillage, I know I'm a broken record on this, but the FW8 capsule loading tray from 3D Delta Studios makes dealing with the capsules much easier.

And it occurred to me while reading your post that there may be a cool solution for the issues with the Firewood capsule carrier. Here's an excerpt from the email I just sent Ratchet at 3D Delta:

"What if your loading tray included a lid that prevented any spillage from loaded capsules? If it was shaped and sized so that it nestled inside the sloped edges of the tray’s top half and was thick enough so that when in place it was even with the top of those edges, it could be held in place with a rubber band and keep the material in the capsules securely in place.

Added bonus idea: If this lid had four tamping tools on it like the tamping tool that currently comes with the tray, the lid could replace the current tamping tool and serve both functions, allowing the user to re-tamp the material if necessary before removing it from the tray. And those tamping protrusions would function as handles for lifting the cover off the tray."

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on this idea. For current owners: would allowing the loading tray to function as a replacement for Marc's capsule carrier increase the tray's usability for you? For people who might be considering getting one: Would this increase the tray's attractiveness?

Rainbow and Rasta

I live in eu and asked Marc if it would be possible to replace a battery in the FW8 myself when it eventually needs to. He told me it might be possible but will definitely not be easy. I would need to be familiar with a battery spot welder and soldering equipment. Marc is a great guy and told me he would be happy to provide his guidance but that spot welder thingy ruins my plan.

moondog

Yeah the non-removable batteries is a huge deal breaker.

I think I read that he's sticking to that model going forward too. Quite unfortunate
Before the FW8 I was totally an anti-proprietary battery guy. But I trust Marc and figured I'd give it a shot.

After multiple instances of needing to change a battery mid-session, I am sold. And it's nice to be able to charge them without having to dig out the Nitecore. I totally recognize the downsides, but for me it's worth it.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
After multiple instances of needing to change a battery mid-session, I am sold. And it's nice to be able to charge them without having to dig out the Nitecore. I totally recognize the downsides, but for me it's worth it.

How does a proprietary battery alleviate the first point? You can still run out of juice mid session, now you just slide on a $30 molicel instead of a $5 molicel.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: DaVapeGuy
Top Bottom